Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mzbundifund posted:

While lockpicks are certainly the best, it IS pretty great that you can sit in class and just casually make molotov cocktails in full view of everybody. No wonder nobody at school knows what to think of Joker.

The guy who sits behind Joker in class is an absolute champ. A known criminal sits down right in front of him and starts making a crate of bullets in class, and the guy doesn't even so much as flinch.

Len posted:

Am I doing something wrong where enemies shorten their patrol routes when I'm in hiding? Instead of walking past me they'll get to where I am and then turn around.

Bastards.

Just jog up to them when they turn around and jump on their head. The enemies in this game have smaller vision cones than the ones in MGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Yeah, unless you're R2-sprinting, you have to actively try to get spotted

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you have a shorter window with dogs, though it is still very generous.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rainuwastaken posted:

The guy who sits behind Joker in class is an absolute champ. A known criminal sits down right in front of him and starts making a crate of bullets in class, and the guy doesn't even so much as flinch.

Just jog up to them when they turn around and jump on their head. The enemies in this game have smaller vision cones than the ones in MGS.

It isn't such a big deal now but earlier in the game when I didn't have coffee/curry/sp bandages I would have liked to avoid combat entirely. But it always felt like their patrol range would just poo poo the bed when you were hiding somewhere.

If I wanted to fight them I wouldn't have followed them all the way to right before they turned around to hide.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I beat the game on hard mode and it was fun, but I didn't find hard mode as rewarding as in the Golden. Wouldn't recommend it for most people. It's mostly an issue with the bosses. Nearly every boss has a "damage check" that can kill you from full to 0 in one hit, sometimes even when you're guarding. The burgerman was the worst offender (though I eventually got him into a rhythm), though shout out to Kamoshida for knocking me out lots of times too (mona learned media immediately after the fight...).

Hard mode regular fights felt good though. In danger most of the time but manageable if you keep your head and occasionally be willing to flee if things go bad.

I wish there were more in-battle mini ops like stealing Kamoshida's crown. It made the fight real hard being down a man, but it was fuckin sick to pull it off and more of those would have been nice.

I like the move diversity in the game, though it seemed like mid and late game everyone learns light spells and there aren't many dark spells to go around. I always liked Hama better anyway.

Hard mode Tetrakarn is as good as ever. Repel Phys breaks the game.

Game is great, I love it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
First boss is the worst offender on Hard, and second boss is rough if you/Ryuji don't have Rampage. Everything after that is manageable and the difficulty pretty much goes away after palace 5.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The third boss was tough because I couldn't consistently survive his ultimate attack, with tarunda, rakukaja and blocking.

Same for the sixth. If I didn't have the debuff, I'd need attack down, defence up, and a block to have about a 50% chance to take it.

I was stupid low level though. I skipped about a third of all encounters, and negotiated my way out of pretty much everything I fought.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Alright now I need to know something for the final fight: is there somewhere i can get items before i fight the holy grail/yaldabaoth?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LordAbaddon posted:

Alright now I need to know something for the final fight: is there somewhere i can get items before i fight the holy grail/yaldabaoth?

I think your only option is to use demon negotiation to stock up on whatever poo poo the Maras etc hanging out in that area can give you.

You can go back to the shops and buy stuff while you're still in the Mementos final descent, but I couldn't find a way to go anywhere except the Velvet Room on the final day.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Also just noticed for the first time but why is this thread's rating so lovely? Did something terrible happen on page 210, because the game owns and the OP is good and for the most part the discussion has seemed fine?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

First boss is the worst offender on Hard, and second boss is rough if you/Ryuji don't have Rampage. Everything after that is manageable and the difficulty pretty much goes away after palace 5.

Yeah once second boss bits go down once, a couple swift strikes / rampages pretty much finish the fight every time they come back.

Third boss is pretty easy if you bench Yusuke, forth game me trouble but was rewarding.

Burger man is a burger son of a bitch, I went through most of my party in that fight. The rest were manageable without much trouble, usually took me 2 tries.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The third boss was tough because I couldn't consistently survive his ultimate attack, with tarunda, rakukaja and blocking.

You can cancel it though? He doesn't even need to use it once, you can target him on top right away. Marakunda and then give him the business.

Other bosses have attacks as bad as you describe that come out quick and can't be cancelled.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

many johnnys posted:

You can cancel it though? He doesn't even need to use it once, you can target him on top right away. Marakunda and then give him the business.

Other bosses have attacks as bad as you describe that come out quick and can't be cancelled.

I think you have to eat the first one. I could cancel the latter ones.

Maybe Morgana just points out to hit him the second time around.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I think you have to eat the first one.

Nope, Bael is always targettable.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I think you have to eat the first one. I could cancel the latter ones.

Maybe Morgana just points out to hit him the second time around.

Some attacks are like that, like Kamoshida has to heal up before you can target the cup. I remember Piggy being available as a target right away. (Mona does tell you if he gets you once)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

many johnnys posted:

Burger man is a burger son of a bitch, I went through most of my party in that fight. The rest were manageable without much trouble, usually took me 2 tries.

The only enjoyable part of that fight was realizing that the hunger status drains Big Bang Challenge.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Except the enemies respawn as soon as you beat them. Also, time doesn't pause in battle.

I thought they respawned only if I left the current room and returned? I saw smokescreen but crafting lockpicks sounded more useful at the time. I'll be crafting a bunch of other items for NG+ though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DalaranJ posted:

The only enjoyable part of that fight was realizing that the hunger status drains Big Bang Challenge.

It would be even more enjoyable if the game recognized that you had conquered the Trial By Burger by attaining the highest rank and had Joker drain it regardless. We weren't just gaining guts, we were expanding them.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

I read about that later, doesn't really help if you keep up on your social links (they kept just curing me right away).

I ended up finishing the fight by swapping in Mona and Fox, hitting with miracle punch and passing to fox for big damage. With Queen firing off heals and maraku constantly. MC does whatever helps. Even then it was a slog..

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

...So, their guns are airsoft weapons made real by cognition, and are therefore legal. But where do their melee weapons come from? Joker probably wasn't carrying a knife to his first day of school, but it appeared with his costume. But it can't be purely cognitive, because you can sell it to Iwai, and you buy replacement weapons too. Does the airsoft shop sell actual knives (also axes, crowbars, whips, katanas, knuckles and scimitars) or just LARP foam ones?...

Iwai mentions this when he figures out you're a phantom. All the gear he sells is decorative replicas and tac gear for airsoft nuttos.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just beat the game last night. Started at 10pm with what I thought was the end, got the credits at loving 1am. Anyway, what does the ???? mean for the true justice final link with Sae?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

LorneReams posted:

I just beat the game last night. Started at 10pm with what I thought was the end, got the credits at loving 1am. Anyway, what does the ???? mean for the true justice final link with Sae?

It means you're on the path to the True Ending, and she'll participate in your plan to dunk Akechi.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Mzbundifund posted:

It means you're on the path to the True Ending, and she'll participate in your plan to dunk Akechi.

Is the True ending the critical path ending because I can't believe I lucked into that then. I always thought you had to do stupid insane poo poo to get that (this is my first Persona game).

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Oh yeah, is the trophy for completing all requests bugged? Because I looked up the list and I had apparently done all of them before finishing palace 6.

Nah, there aren't any huge leaps to make to get the true path in persona from my memory. Just gotta use yer noggin a lil.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Oh yeah, is the trophy for completing all requests bugged? Because I looked up the list and I had apparently done all of them before finishing palace 6.

Nah, there aren't any huge leaps to make to get the true path in persona from my memory. Just gotta use yer noggin a lil.

You another in early-mid December though, so you can't have done them all by Palace 6.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

LorneReams posted:

Is the True ending the critical path ending because I can't believe I lucked into that then. I always thought you had to do stupid insane poo poo to get that (this is my first Persona game).

That was just 4, really. In 3 and 5 the best ending simply requires not making really obvious telegraphed mistakes.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

LorneReams posted:

That's only Persona 4.

E:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm at the beginning of the last dungeon and god drat, what a good Persona game. The MC has a personality now, how wild is that?

I can't wait to troll Akechi online after I finish the game. When he showed up, I tried to be okay to him for a while because he's on the box and I thought he'd stop being a dick eventually, but then he just doesn't go away for hours and hours and never gets any more likable. But I appreciate that you get lots of chances to dunk on him, the slimy prick. What a good villain though.

Re Emperor slink, all hail Sentai Christ.

Already looking forward to NG+.

e: Speaking of the last dungeon, are Caroline and Justine just going to refill my SP forever, or is there a limit?

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 18, 2017

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Ragnar34 posted:

e: Speaking of the last dungeon, are Caroline and Justine just going to refill my SP forever, or is there a limit?

If there is a limit, I never hit it 25+ times with them, and then another 10-15 times with "them" again.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ragnar34 posted:

You can't leave or progress the day, so the girls are there to refill your SP as much as you need to grind levels to beat the game.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What is a good level for the 5th boss, anyway? I'm about halfway through the palace and managing well enough at 39 or 40, but I suspect a lot of that has to do with a set of Persona that collectively trivialize almost every encounter. (Aharahabaki, White Rider, Unicorn; everything except those Triple Down spamming jerks I can just shrug off.)

Is there any special dialogue if I complete the burger challenge before clearing the Palace?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rangpur posted:

What is a good level for the 5th boss, anyway? I'm about halfway through the palace and managing well enough at 39 or 40, but I suspect a lot of that has to do with a set of Persona that collectively trivialize almost every encounter. (Aharahabaki, White Rider, Unicorn; everything except those Triple Down spamming jerks I can just shrug off.)

Is there any special dialogue if I complete the burger challenge before clearing the Palace?

You can't do it in a dungeon, but pushing the network button will give you your answer here. It's never out of sync and dungeons are all doable at the level it shows.

No special dialogue as far as I know.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

wizard on a water slide posted:

Also just noticed for the first time but why is this thread's rating so lovely? Did something terrible happen on page 210, because the game owns and the OP is good and for the most part the discussion has seemed fine?

Anime

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

If you beat the burger challenge, you really should Block the burger bosses big attack.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Make Joker intercept the big burger like Saitama intercepts Speed of Sonic's sword in One-Punch Man.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

LorneReams posted:

There's only one ending path. Like you can get a couple of bad endings but it's not like p4 where there's a good ending and a special true ending on top of that.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Alder posted:

I thought they respawned only if I left the current room and returned? I saw smokescreen but crafting lockpicks sounded more useful at the time. I'll be crafting a bunch of other items for NG+ though.

In that particular section, with 99% security they respawn on the spot.

However, ambushing and beating the enemies causes the security rate to drop by 10%.

Well, that's what happened on my game, it was too much trouble, so I'm just gonna smokescreen.

Palace 4 treasure room also is the same way, but you don't have a time limit for that one.

Also, I never realised the palace 5 boss and hunger relation because I kept curing it. Well played game, interesting mechanic.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 19, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm at the beginning of the last dungeon and god drat, what a good Persona game. The MC has a personality now, how wild is that?

I can't wait to troll Akechi online after I finish the game. When he showed up, I tried to be okay to him for a while because he's on the box and I thought he'd stop being a dick eventually, but then he just doesn't go away for hours and hours and never gets any more likable. But I appreciate that you get lots of chances to dunk on him, the slimy prick. What a good villain though.

Akechi has no friends and you can tell why :v:

plz love me akechi

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, so I went looking online for how to fuse Alice, and in the site that I found had what I can only assume to be spoilers right in the basic description of what Alice can do. Right now I am in the 6th Palace, and the spoiler said something like that Alice is a good persona for "dealing" with Akechi, and something about her being good to fight Akechi with. Now I had already assumed Akechi was going to be the traitor and that you might have to fight him. So with that speculation of mine in mind, how big of a spoiler is this for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

OK, so I went looking online for how to fuse Alice, and in the site that I found had what I can only assume to be spoilers right in the basic description of what Alice can do. Right now I am in the 6th Palace, and the spoiler said something like that Alice is a good persona for "dealing" with Akechi, and something about her being good to fight Akechi with. Now I had already assumed Akechi was going to be the traitor and that you might have to fight him. So with that speculation of mine in mind, how big of a spoiler is this for me?

Just keep playing the game, I can't imagine any answer to that question enhancing your enjoyment of the game