Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I'll probably hit up the local GW store sometime and see if they have any painting competitions going on and get kicked out for painting in the shop with vallejo droppers.
I would go into the local GW ironically, but they're only open bizarreass hours that an adult with a normal job couldn't possibly work around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

ijyt posted:

The world keeps on moving even if you're not ready to crawl out of your cocoon. The sooner you realise the sooner you get to fly in the heady highs of 8th edition.

I'm afraid of being hurt again

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thefakenews posted:

I've read it, and played it once. Seemed pretty decent in actual play, but I haven't checked out the campaign system. But I don't think my opinion could be considered reliable.

You've at least played it. I still haven't so I'm trying to imagine the math but the sections are in wholly different places so it's tough going back and forth and trying to see how swingy things are. The one thing I think I'm sure of is that you'd want to start off with a faction that includes mutants and robots, because the speed boosts and clockwork men immunities seem to be really good freebies considering all the dumb events that might happen. The true-humans do have the ability to break all ties in opposed rolls but I dread making a spreadsheet for this game just to see how often it might even come to play. Layout. :argh:

Hauki posted:

I would go into the local GW ironically, but they're only open bizarreass hours that an adult with a normal job couldn't possibly work around.

Makes sense to have bank hours, for it holds priceless jewels.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
GW is blood

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Moola posted:

GW is blood

Moola is Skulls

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pawl posted:

GW is Not Bad but I'm not sure I'm ready to call them Good yet

Wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttttt

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

GW is Not Bad but I'm not sure I'm ready to call them Good yet

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttttt

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Death Thread thinks GW is good...

2017 is certainly an interesting year

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Pawl posted:

I personally hold to the policy of NEVER FORGET. NEVER FORGIVE. But that's just me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

Nah, it's the incongruity of your statement combined with your incessant promoting of Age of Sigmar in the 40k thread.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
I like what GW has been doing lately and it has elevated their position from Bad to Not Bad

If they don't drop the ball with AOS 2.0 and 40k 8th edition then I will consider raising them to Good status

I talk about AOS in the 40k thread because 8th is basically AOS in Space so I think it's interesting to draw parallels

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I heard that GW is going to be releasing bigger versions of all the main races after the Bigmarines, but this is going to make it so hard to fit a full army on a 4x8 table that they're moving 8ed to a ranked battle format to better accommodate the high number of larger models.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GW is less bad than they used to be. I don't think the thread consensus on that point has actually changed noticeably for months, there's just been a concerted effort to insist that the death thread rabidly hates GW.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
There are some genuine haters but we tend to mock those just as much as we do the fanboys whenever the haters out themselves by mocking GW moves that are neither bad nor dumb.

I personally feel like GW might be getting somewhat Cool, though not Good. GW is.. Okay?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

GW is good, in that they have consistently shown profit and paid dividends to their shareholders, even during the recession. Profit is the purpose of all corporations, so it's the fundamental metric to evaluate them.

They can still be dumb though

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

No we totally liked GW all along guys. We never hated this entire time!!!! Lol

I knew it!!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Perhaps, but imagine how much more profitable they could have been had they not alienated a significant segment of both their existing and potential customer bases. There have been a huge number of "just, WTF?" moments over the past couple of years. I do think they learned from the AoS debacle, but I don't think 8th edition will be the panacea for everything that's wrong and broken with 40k. A step (or several) in the right direction, but still not something that's going to look at all like a well-designed, well-balanced, modern rules system. SW:A was an interesting venture, but it appears to fall short of the holy grail that is a modernized version of Necromunda. I also think one of the reasons it's so popular is because 40k itself is such a chore to play; it's way easier to throw a handful of minis (out of the huge number already required to play 40K) and I suspect that much of the SW:A that's being played is being played instead of 40K rather than in addition to 40K.

There's no doubt that SW:A will ultimately serve as a "gateway drug" into 40K proper, and that's fine. But imagine what it might have been like had AoS not been the fluff-ending fuckfest it was but rather something similar to SW:A for fantasy.

The recent models have been pretty hit-or-miss too. I love the new Tzeentch stuff, and the teasers of the new Nurgle stuff look pretty rad. But the Steamdorf Duarddorf slayers were loving awful. I have not been impressed with the new Blood Bowl releases (the basic Skaven are pretty OK, but the new Rat Ogre sucks), and the trend of "detail for detail's sake" continues.

Also, it's still ridiculously overpriced (though in fairness some of the newer Start Collecting sets and boxed games are surprisingly good values).

But hey, the bar was pretty low; so yeah, if you want to say GW is "better," then good on ya. I cannot disagree. But I'll draw the line well short of "good."

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
BalloonDorfs are loving awesome you heretic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ashcans posted:

GW is good, in that they have consistently shown profit and paid dividends to their shareholders, even during the recession. Profit is the purpose of all corporations, so it's the fundamental metric to evaluate them.

They can still be dumb though

Are you saying that given the choice you'd pick GW stock over others?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I am eager to place Large Boi Marines up my bum

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Why is GW marketing someone's conversions??

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Pretty sure they're still going to implode unless they start pulling in new nerds. I feel like they've been milking the same few whales for years now, and their customer base is only so healthy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Pretty sure they're still going to implode unless they start pulling in new nerds. I feel like they've been milking the same few whales for years now, and their customer base is only so healthy

This is a reasonable story that is severely undermined by the company's financial reports.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

This is a troll free zone friend. Please leave these kind of posts in the 40k thread

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Milky Moor posted:

They already took all of Judge Dredd and Blizzard's Zerg, what's fan material to them?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

What thread earned you that red text? Thin skinned 40k fans or something else?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Terrible Opinions posted:

What thread earned you that red text? Thin skinned 40k fans or something else?

Andromeda fans.

And now Mass Effect is dead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear?!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Andromeda fans.

My soul hoped you mean fans of the Kevin Sorbo sci-fi show, but then I read the second line.

Bioware is bad.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm not as optimistic about 8th Edition as other people seem to be. When comparisons first started coming out to 2nd Edition I balked because I remember 2nd Edition and it was bad at being 40k when it was new, so I don't know why you'd want to go back to that, especially since games are larger than they were back then. When SW:A came out with no significant or meaningful changes to the 2e system, it only cemented my opinion that GW doesn't really know how to update or write modern rules. Now, those were only initial impressions of 8e and it seems like they're not really going back to 2e at all, but what rules we have seen still come across as, "Like Mantic, but worse," and since Firefight exists, I don't know why I'd play a worse game.

That aside, if 8e does end up being really good, I still don't see myself buying any GW models because of how they're priced and how many you need for a game. I'm quite happy with the new Mantic hard plastic range and have all the scifi models I need from it and would be happy to use them to proxy models in 8e if someone was looking for a game, but GW fans get super weird about that.

However, despite my reputation as irrationally hating GW, I openly admit to spending money on their products when it's something I want and I can get it at a reasonable price. Like I said in December, I bought the last re-release of Space Hulk. Plus, I even buy Citadel paints when I really need something because I can get them off the shelf and don't have to special order them like I have to for Army Painter. So if GW made a new game or line of models that appealed to me and I thought the price was reasonable for what they were, then I would in fact buy them. That to me is the benchmark for GW being "good".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Chill la Chill posted:

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear?!

What primaris model is this?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JBP posted:

What primaris model is this?

It's Tau:

Ashcans posted:

I heard that GW is going to be releasing bigger versions of all the main races after the Bigmarines, but this is going to make it so hard to fit a full army on a 4x8 table that they're moving 8ed to a ranked battle format to better accommodate the high number of larger models.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

GW is less bad than they used to be. I don't think the thread consensus on that point has actually changed noticeably for months, there's just been a concerted effort to insist that the death thread rabidly hates GW.

GW: Setting the bar. To the minimum needed.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I'm really glad they're going to be known as Bigly Marines.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

kingcom posted:

I'm really glad they're going to be known as Bigly Marines.

What an age to be alive.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Andromeda fans.

why did you kill mass effect?!?!!?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Are you saying that given the choice you'd pick GW stock over others?

No obviously if I had any money I would use it to buy GW's high-quality products, which are practically the benchmark of value.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ashcans posted:

No obviously if I had any money I would use it to buy GW's high-quality products, which are practically the benchmark of value.

I actually haven't actually stepped foot in a brick and mortar store since Fantasy Battles died, are they still one man operations that are closed sundays and Mondays and for lunch breaks?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Bad Moon posted:

I actually haven't actually stepped foot in a brick and mortar store since Fantasy Battles died, are they still one man operations that are closed sundays and Mondays and for lunch breaks?

Some of them are still like that yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bad Moon posted:

I wonder about this every time I drive by the local one on the way to the LGS to play x-wing.

• Locked thread