Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I thought for reasons Savitar had to kill Iris at that exact point and time... because really he could have done it anytime otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Using the face hologram is really just a delaying tactic, right? Unless they mean to immediately spirit Iris away from Barry into meta-witsec forever so Savitar never learns that she didn't actually die and render the deception meaningless, which would also have the effect of making Barry turn into mopey douchelord Barry in the crapsack future and let Savitar happen anyway...

All they have to do is reveal that Iris is still alive, Barry smiles and is happy, and Savitar disappears into oblivion screaming because the only reason he exists (Barry being a broken mopey gently caress over Iris's death) never happens so he's erased from existence Eobard Thawne style. Savitar is literally going to be beaten by the Power of Love.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Avalerion posted:

I thought for reasons Savitar had to kill Iris at that exact point and time... because really he could have done it anytime otherwise.

Maybe so, I'm afraid I've gone crosseyed at this point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Don't worry, why would you ever feel afraid while being embraced by the capable hands of the writers.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If they reuse the "Iris is-but-isn't dead" plot device from the comics from about 20-odd years back, I am gonna laugh so hard because it's yet more Goddamn time travel.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Couldn't Barry defeat Savitar by just.. you know.. not time-cloning himself ever again? Creating disposable life doesn't sound like the best ability to have anyway.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Krad posted:

Couldn't Barry defeat Savitar by just.. you know.. not time-cloning himself ever again? Creating disposable life doesn't sound like the best ability to have anyway.

You'd think so, but they did a whole stupid fake science thing about it a couple episodes ago where they drew some circles and showed that Savitar exists outside their choices. Except that would mean the memory-scrambler they shot Barry with last episode shouldn't have affected Savitar either, but it did.

Really, its best just not to think about it. Much like Heroes, this show only really makes sense if you treat it like a feel-good story about people with severe mental impairments overcoming their disabilities to do good.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I guess being evil makes you competent.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Invalid Validation posted:

I guess being evil makes you competent.

Legends confirmed it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phenotype posted:

You'd think so, but they did a whole stupid fake science thing about it a couple episodes ago where they drew some circles and showed that Savitar exists outside their choices. Except that would mean the memory-scrambler they shot Barry with last episode shouldn't have affected Savitar either, but it did.

Really, its best just not to think about it. Much like Heroes, this show only really makes sense if you treat it like a feel-good story about people with severe mental impairments overcoming their disabilities to do good.

Time travel is hard. The more rules you apply to it, the harder it is to be consistent

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That episode really sucked out loud.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't know which CW thread to put this in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWmRao2vi_E

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm predicting it'll be hot garbage.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

No Butt Stuff posted:

This looks really good! I'm excited for it. There's a lot of quality content in these dumb superhero shows this season, and I'm optimistic that it's only getting better.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

If it embraces the campiness, I'm all for it. If it tries to do what Legends of Tomorrow Season 1 did, then it can suck it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Is Black Lightning in continuity with the other DC shows?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

No Butt Stuff posted:

CW please do right by me. Just get the guy who's been writing all of Joe's lines and let him handle this.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Phylodox posted:

No, but neither was Supergirl.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheHan posted:

CW please do right by me. Just get the guy who's been writing all of Joe's lines and let him handle this.

Better--make Joe Black Lightning.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

That was the original script that was getting shopped to FOX. Berlanti said that specific one would not be in continuity with the rest of the CWverse. Don't know about this version though.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

No Butt Stuff posted:

Should've been Static Shock instead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I'd assume so, but they might keep it separate for at least half the season just in case it does poorly. IMO, I don't think there's enough in Black Lightning to go beyond a season that hasn't been tread either by Flash or Arrow unless he starts becoming the old salt amongst the DCCW heroes and that part is played up.

Since the villains are set up to be The 100, Tobias Whale (not to be confused with the other gang leader from Arrow, Tobias Chruch, who is an original character) is probably the big season villain.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Scyantific posted:

That was the original script that was getting shopped to FOX. Berlanti said that specific one would not be in continuity with the rest of the CWverse. Don't know about this version though.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/18/cw-supe...ialflow_twitter

quote:

CW chief Mark Pedowitz revealed to reporters on Thursday morning ahead of the network’s upfront presentation that Black Lightning does not take place in the Arrowverse — the same shared universe that the other four series call home.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nooneofconsequence posted:

Actually he said point blank they're going to kill the entire cast of The 100

jaha will manage to survive

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The whole point of the Arrowverse is that it contains the multi-verse, so it makes sense for them to play it safe and keep it separate until they decide not to.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Neither did Supergirl originally, and we know how that turned out. Although how often they mentioned "The 100" in that trailer, I expected Eliza Taylor to show up.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

howe_sam posted:

Neither did Supergirl originally, and we know how that turned out.
I already said that!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Curious to see how Black Lightning shakes out, I read the pilot a month ago and it was... not good.

Female characters in particular were ATROCIOUS. We're talking every woman being written Season 1 Iris levels of awful.

A solid rewrite or three could make it sing, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Phenotype posted:

To be slightly fair, time travel literally is fake science and "the more recklessly you time travel the less sense it makes" is as solid a reasoning about time paradoxes as anything else. Barry's hosed with time so much it's loving him back, and this time (extremely action movie trailer voice) it's personalllll

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Curious to see how Black Lightning shakes out, I read the pilot a month ago and it was... not good.

Female characters in particular were ATROCIOUS. We're talking every woman being written Season 1 Iris levels of awful.

A solid rewrite or three could make it sing, though.

Especially when some of the focus is supposed to be his daughters? Yeesh, that doesn't sound promising.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Having Snart tell Barry that his innate goodness will win the day means something.

Stupid theory: Barry forgives Savitar, breaking the closed loop and causing Savvy to disappear in a puff of vaporized Speed Force.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait what happened to Draco

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Wait what happened to Draco

He's back next week. It's probably an issue of "We can only afford Tom Felton for X number of episodes". I assume they'll have to wrangle with it next year too, assuming Julian survives and Felton sticks with the show, which he seems keen to from all outward appearances.

Anyways, Coming Soon.net has a bunch of promo pictures up for the finale, including one of Barry and Savitar together at STAR Labs both looking like they're going "man, we hosed up, didn't we?"

I got a feeling that Savitar's gonna realize he hosed up royally somehow by killing Iris and maybe caused something even worse to happen and now has to work with Team Flash to fix it, proving once and for all that no matter the incarnation, Barry Allen is STILL the stupidest man alive. The Flash!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

For the first half of the trailer I thought it was going to be his daughter as the main character with the father just being a sort of mentor character as she takes over the super heroing business. I was much more interested in that than what it apparently actually is. Not being set on Earth 1 just makes it even less interesting. I'll still give it a chance, but they haven't managed to excite my interest in any way.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

To be slightly fair, time travel literally is fake science and "the more recklessly you time travel the less sense it makes" is as solid a reasoning about time paradoxes as anything else.

It's terrible storytelling. If the constants of your fictional universe is always in flux then nothing matters.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Please please please don't make a speedster villain next season. Unless it's Thawne, then it'll be ok.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It won't be a speedster, it'll be a normal guy obsessed with the Flash... who tries to copy his powers to become a speedster. Totally different!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Barry should have locked himself in a deprivation chamber and let everyone else figure out a plan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Invalid Validation posted:

Barry should have locked himself in a deprivation chamber and let everyone else figure out a plan.

For real. Just have Barry sit at the spot all day and say "I'm not coming back to Star labs until this is over" and then maybe if savitar does find out she's in Earth 2, have her somewhere else besides right at the exit of the portal.

Having people be stupid to advance the plot pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Iris gets Barry counseling as a Death Present. Barry learns to heal and move on, while still remembering the good times he had with Iris. He still has rough days, but he grows as a person.

• Locked thread