Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Not sure if that Direct To Video sequel to Spring Breakers is still on, but Harmony Korine is making his own spiritual sequel with Matthew McConaughey called The Beach Bum

quote:

Neon and Vice have pre-bought U.S. rights to one of the early Cannes buzz pre-buy titles, the Harmony Korine-directed The Beach Bum. A follow-up to Korine’s sleeper Spring Breakers, the film will star Oscar winner Matthew McConaughey and is set to begin production this fall with a theatrical release planned for 2018.

Pic is an irreverent comedy that follows the misadventures of Moondog (McConaughey), a rebellious and lovable rogue who lives life large. The film will be written and directed by Korine

http://deadline.com/2017/05/matthew-mcconaughey-harmony-korine-beach-bum-neon-vice-cannes-1202096743/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Also Okja trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCebKn4iic

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, the last Terminator was great.

nope.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Goosebumps sequel is titled Goosebumps: Horrorland

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tars Tarkas posted:

Not sure if that Direct To Video sequel to Spring Breakers is still on, but Harmony Korine is making his own spiritual sequel with Matthew McConaughey called The Beach Bum

http://deadline.com/2017/05/matthew-mcconaughey-harmony-korine-beach-bum-neon-vice-cannes-1202096743/

This is the best news I've heard all day.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if he'll hang dong.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

This looks good imo. Paul Dano is great, I like the look of the monster and the action stuff with the kid looks surprisingly good.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Goosebumps sequel is titled Goosebumps: Horrorland

Will it have Jeff Goldblum again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6b_d4Crhy8&t=132s

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm the guy who hates everything in that Okja trailer, starting with Paul Dano.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love Bong Joon Ho and movies about cute animals and movies about how eating meat is evil so I'm all in.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Um, can I buy that poster?

EDIT: Uh, now I realize it's one of those movies. I thought it was a Asylum Mock Buster.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 19, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I love Bong Joon Ho and movies about cute animals and movies about how eating meat is evil so I'm all in.

Especially baby meat. It's the evillest.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Counterpoint Terminator Genynsis. The worst studio backed fan film I've seen.

I love the guy, but he's made some goddamn awful repugnant poo poo.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Genisys good, but it's definitely better than Salvation. I'd say it's better than 3 as well if not for the fact that I think Terminator 3 actually had obvious potential to be a good movie if they'd bothered to put some effort in.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm trying to think of an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie worthy of being called "repugnant". Leaving aside his bland cameos in the Expendable movies, the worst complaint I can lay at his feet is that his worst movies are kinda bland and not as good as his good movies, but repugnant? Did he star in a remake of Jud Süß that I never heard about?

Admittedly I haven't seen Junior.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

His best role post-politics has probably been The Last Stand which was alright. It was the best of the old guy action star vehicles that came put that year around the same time. Bullet to the Head wasn't very good and I didn't even bother watching whatever the latest Die Hard was called. I hated Sabotage, didn't watch Escape Plan and don't really have any desire to see his dramatic roles.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I took the Die Hard movies out of my considerations because they never really stopped coming. Stallone and Schwarzenegger managed to have a bit of a comeback feeling around their movies, for whatever reason Bruce Willis just never went away.

Agreed on Arnold's dramatic roles, I feel the same about them as I do about his comedies. If there is no chance of Schwarzenegger decapitating a guy with a refrigerator door while saying "Let cooler heads prevail", what is even the point?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Schwarzenegger should do a King Lear role. Not a straight adaptation, but something like Ten Things I Hate About You or The Lion King, only based on King Lear.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yep.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm trying to think of an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie worthy of being called "repugnant". Leaving aside his bland cameos in the Expendable movies, the worst complaint I can lay at his feet is that his worst movies are kinda bland and not as good as his good movies, but repugnant? Did he star in a remake of Jud Süß that I never heard about?

The way he treats his wife in True Lies is kind of messed up.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah that's pretty rough.

It does lead to JLC briefly considering Bill Paxton as an alternative.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if a movie's so bad it makes you long for the 3rd one someone's gotta have brain problems to deem it good.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 19, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

if a movie's so bad it makes you long for the 3rd one someone's gotta have brain problems to deem it good.

If anything makes you long for the third one it's you who has the brain problems, sir.

Samuel Clemens posted:

True, but upon closer inspection True Lies is a maelstrom of messed up things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

each terminator sequel after 2 has been worse than the previous one. nobody who thinks genesys is a good film should post about movies. it's like claiming jaws the revenge was real good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

each terminator sequel after 2 has been worse than the previous one. nobody who thinks genesys is a good film should post about movies. it's like claiming jaws the revenge was real good.

Well, that's one way to have a conversation.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Genesys stole a bunch of action poo poo from other films and managed to make those bits less interesting. I can't even remember what the movie was about, I only remember the nod to "come with me if you want to live" the bus flipping on the bridge (which looked terrible) and nanobots.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The best thing about Terminator Genisys is Emilia Clarke looks like she's cosplaying Sarah Connor and it's hilarious. Everything else about the movie is garbage.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

I think Schwarzenegger should do a King Lear role. Not a straight adaptation, but something like Ten Things I Hate About You or The Lion King, only based on King Lear.

Old King Conan

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Old King Conan

Daughters, what is best in life?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Casimir Radon posted:

His best role post-politics has probably been The Last Stand which was alright. It was the best of the old guy action star vehicles that came put that year around the same time. Bullet to the Head wasn't very good and I didn't even bother watching whatever the latest Die Hard was called. I hated Sabotage, didn't watch Escape Plan and don't really have any desire to see his dramatic roles.

Maggie has a really solid Arnie performance, and Aftermath is a legit good movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

There's only one Sabotage anyone should watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Is there another Paul Blart Mall Cop film coming out? I feel like after two movies, we need a third to close off the epic trilogy.

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 19, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

New King Arthur is a pretty fun romp, check it out if you still have an inner teenager

I went and checked it out tonight and it was indeed a fun romp but it's just so bizarre. It starts out as a pretty straight action/fantasy movie but then it takes a left turn and morphs into Lock, Stock and One Glowing Excalibur (complete with chav mates with weird nicknames and geezers on the take and stitch ups and all that) which absolutely doesn't take itself seriously but it keeps dipping into fantasy/magical elements which are played pretty straight. Also when Arthur picks up Excalibur he suddenly turns into an anime character with glowing eyes and super speed who can kill 20 men in a heartbeat which was loving odd.

They were trying really hard for a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe but they never quite get the balance right and the tone just keeps whipping about all over the place throughout the entire movie. When I walked out of the movie I didn't have any burning desire to see what those crazy lovable characters got up to next time but I had fun.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My favorite thing about King Arthur was picking out those Guy Ritchie-isms (like that whole back-and-forth dialogue with Roose Bolton or the shoulder cams during the chase sequence).

That, and the heavy breathing being a recurring theme on the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVtqVxZgYI

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My disappointment with King Arthur was it was forced to be too conventional. They should have let Guy Ritchie do his regular thing cause that in the mythical setting was fun as hell. It's when it became the serious stuff is when it sort of wavered. I liked it a lot though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

My favorite thing about King Arthur was picking out those Guy Ritchie-isms (like that whole back-and-forth dialogue with Roose Bolton or the shoulder cams during the chase sequence).

That, and the heavy breathing being a recurring theme on the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVtqVxZgYI

My Guy Ritchie story is I was watching Sherlock and didn't get that RDJ was doing fist moves like Snatch.

Damnit.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
*cleverly points out this a ritchie movie*

-uh yeah

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

each terminator sequel after 2 has been worse than the previous one.

This is objectively wrong. Genisys is not a great movie but it's better than T3.

T3's only good scene was the very end (so good that other media have taken it/stolen it for their own nuclear end of the world montages).

Terminator Salvation was boring but not bad. I don't even hate Bale in it. And it has Michael Ironsides.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syscall girl posted:

*cleverly points out this a ritchie movie*

-uh yeah

I genuinely forgot who directed it when I sat down in the theatre and the first 20 minutes or so are a standard fantasy/medieval film so when the characters started Ritchie-ing about all over the place in the second act it really came out of left field :v:

It's like Eric Bana and Jude Law and Astrid Bergès-Frisbey turned up to make a totally different film and it somehow got mixed in with a wacky Guy Ritchie underworld heist comedy in the editing bay.

Gatts posted:

My disappointment with King Arthur was it was forced to be too conventional. They should have let Guy Ritchie do his regular thing cause that in the mythical setting was fun as hell. It's when it became the serious stuff is when it sort of wavered. I liked it a lot though.

Yeah totally.
Also it was a real missed opportunity that the guy who played Chopper Read appeared in a Guy Ritchie film but was stuck with a straight dramatic role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Thwomp posted:

T3's only good scene was the very end

Nah, T3's only good scene is this.

• Locked thread