Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

What happened with this Power Puff Girls reboot, exactly? Never saw it.

Das Boo has already mentioned that the show missed the mark in terms of tone by being too focused on memes, internet humor, token social issues, and bad comedy, but the show also felt really lazy. Sara Bellum is gone because she would be too hard to write and wouldn't fit in the "lol zany!" tone the show has, the returning villains from the old show don't do anything cool or actiony, and the show is also famous for writing two episodes that were super negative to trans identity. Also HIM is villainous because he wears a skirt apparently.

In a way I kinda doubt the attempt to bring up modern social issues was done maliciously, but the writers didn't have any experience in the subject. They really mishandled it.

edit: oh poo poo, I'm the top post here. Quick, gotta think of something Samurai Jack related to post.

The finale might actually be decent. We finally got Aku back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

EagerSleeper posted:

Das Boo has already mentioned that the show missed the mark in terms of tone by being too focused on memes, internet humor, token social issues, and bad comedy, but the show also felt really lazy. Sara Bellum is gone because she would be too hard to write and wouldn't fit in the "lol zany!" tone the show has, the returning villains from the old show don't do anything cool or actiony, and the show is also famous for writing two episodes that were super negative to trans identity. Also HIM is villainous because he wears a skirt apparently.

In a way I kinda doubt the attempt to bring up modern social issues was done maliciously, but the writers didn't have any experience in the subject. They really mishandled it.

edit: oh poo poo, I'm the top post here. Quick, gotta think of something Samurai Jack related to post.

The finale might actually be decent. We finally got Aku back.

What is happening in this screenshot?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

EagerSleeper posted:

Also HIM is villainous because he wears a skirt apparently.

As opposed to him being lobster Satan?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Did Jack ever do a crossover?

Yes and no? Like, they never did a crossover, but CN had these bumps for a while with all their characters living in a realistic city. Most of them are just establishing shots of recognizable cartoon areas looking "real" but some feature characters from different shows interacting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOeo_zHTWB4

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 18, 2017

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Covok posted:

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Imagine if they hosed up Samurai Jack that badly? Aku would be too posting on Akubook and Akitter about how he's totally going to pwn the Samurai today only for the Scottsmans to troll the gently caress out of him. Aku would then try to act like a tough guy online only for a bunch of dupe Aku accounts to mock him.

Obviously this would be garbage, but the idea of the Scotsman trolling Aku on not-Twitter sounds hilarious.

Aku sends out deranged social media messages at 3 AM.

"NO SHAPESHIFTING MASTER OF DARKNESS HAS EVER BEEN TREATED THIS HARSHLY OR THIS UNFAIRLY!"

Aku supporters in the replies get mad at SJWs (Samurai Jack Warriors) for making the hashtag #ResistAku start trending.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

I've seen the way that Power Puff Girls was rebooted and it was not pretty. Johnny Bravo might get Leisure Suit Larry'd in that people miss the satire of the original show, and will make Johnny's faults be turned into a good thing unironically. However, if it's written by a decent set of writers who understood the satire, I don't see why not.

Imagine if they turned Johnny Bravo into Duke Nukem.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Obviously this would be garbage, but the idea of the Scotsman trolling Aku on not-Twitter sounds hilarious.

"NO SHAPESHIFTING MASTER OF DARKNESS HAS EVER BEEN TREATED THIS HARSHLY OR THIS UNFAIRLY!"

Aku supporters in the replies get mad at SJWs (Samurai Jack Warriors) for making the hashtag #ResistAku start trending.

Okay, that deserves a mild applause for cleverness.

TwoPair posted:

Yes and no? Like, they never did a crossover, but CN had these bumps for a while with all their characters living in a realistic city

I forgot about those. Yeah, they kept trying to play up the "they're like actors in a show" thing, but in that weird way where they're still their character all the time. Sealab put it best when they pulled that on their last episode:

Auidence: So, I don't get it: are you guys supposed to be the characters pretending your the actors or are you the actors pretending your characters?

Cast: Good question, moving on.

They would also do a lot of music videos back then.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

What is happening in this screenshot?

The animators didn't even realize that they had left in a version of Buttercup that was half missing.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As opposed to him being lobster Satan?

Lobster Satan genderbender strawman who wants to hang out with groups of girls because something something millennials.

RareAcumen posted:

Imagine if they turned Johnny Bravo into Duke Nukem.

Which version of Duke are we talking here? Pre Duke Nukem Forever or Post? I'll make the mod for it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Covok posted:

Aku would be too posting on Akubook and Akitter about how he's totally going to pwn the Samurai today

I legitimately believe that Aku uses social media sites to badmouth the foolish samurai. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I legitimately believe that Aku uses social media sites to badmouth the foolish samurai. :colbert:

I was gonna say, poo poo talking on social media sounds like a very Aku move.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

Which version of Duke are we talking here? Pre Duke Nukem Forever or Post? I'll make the mod for it.

Post, obviously. The one where the point was missed.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

TwoPair posted:

Yes and no? Like, they never did a crossover, but CN had these bumps for a while with all their characters living in a realistic city. Most of them are just establishing shots of recognizable cartoon areas looking "real" but some feature characters from different shows interacting.

And so that one obligatory crossover ship that popular canons get was fulfilled

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

gently caress that poo poo, sounds gross.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Well Manicured Man posted:

I would watch this, as well as the episode where depressed Aku binges on Netflix, or where Aku plays Overwatch and gets salty over Hanzo mains.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

where Aku plays Overwatch and gets salty over is a Hanzo main.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TwoPair posted:

Reminds me
Can the monkeys paw curl one more time and give us megas xlr

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Reminds me

It comes back, but the show takes place in Detroit.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Covok posted:

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Imagine if they hosed up Samurai Jack that badly? Aku would be too posting on Akubook and Akitter about how he's totally going to pwn the Samurai today only for the Scottsmans to troll the gently caress out of him. Aku would then try to act like a tough guy online only for a bunch of dupe Aku accounts to mock him.

Between Aku trying to convince some kids he's the real hero only for them to continuously talk about Jack, ringing up Dial-A-Hench and putting up a drive in recorder outside his base because he can't be bothered dealing with people anymore it doesn't seem at all out of bounds for Aku to use social media to gloat/rant or be trolled back.

RareAcumen posted:

Did the original have a point? I was only 10 or 12 I think when I played 3D and never finished it (never played any earlier iterations), but it never seemed to have much of a point beyond using sex and piss for humor. Not even in a clever satirical manner or anything that I recall, just in a fairly upfront and brash if exaggerated way; the exaggeration being the humor, but not adding any real point that I can recall beyond humor for it's own sake.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 18, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It comes back, but the show takes place in Detroit.

NJ isn't bad enough?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

tsob posted:

Did the original have a point?

Does anything have a point?

As for Duke, I loving loved the original. It was (IIRC) the first shooter to actually give the protagonist a voice and an actual personality. Yeah there was piss and tits and crude humor, but I can forgive that.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 19, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Covok posted:

Did Jack ever do a crossover?

There's a lot of gratuitous, nonsensical Hanna-Barbera cameos in Samurai Jack (even in the current season!) but in the train episode there was an extended scene of Quick Draw McGraw and Baba Looey talking to each other with the original voice actor. The original same one voice actor for both characters.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

There Bias Two posted:

I can't imagine storyboarding this and thinking, "Yeah, that's a totally appropriate thing to have young children do on a kid's cartoon."
At least when Gendy did that twerking scene in Symbiotic Titan it was with a teenager and robot man.

Reminds me
Unfortunately I think it was lost as a tax right off and can't be revived :smith:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 19, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tsob posted:

Did the original have a point? I was only 10 or 12 I think when I played 3D and never finished it (never played any earlier iterations), but it never seemed to have much of a point beyond using sex and piss for humor. Not even in a clever satirical manner or anything that I recall, just in a fairly upfront and brash if exaggerated way; the exaggeration being the humor, but not adding any real point that I can recall beyond humor for it's own sake.

Kill the aliens not because they're attacking your planet, but mainly because they interrupted your soap opera.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

tsob posted:

Duke of the early era was an amalgamation of Schwarzenegger style hyper masculine action flicks combined with a total lack of perspective. Duke is great, he kicks evil alien rear end, and he is the center of the universe, the end. The humor mostly works in relationship to the 80's action hero, that Duke is sort of an exaggerated parody of, but played completely straight. Like most Schwarzenegger movies, his character is not very emotionally complex, but it's not why we like him.

The new one has moments where it keeps trying to make Duke a genuine hero, which is weird, cuz he is not really a "good guy". Also the tone is incredibly badly handled, with huge shifts from self aggrandizing to super serious. Like this scene which which is 2000x levels of hosed up: :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4OsqIC6wr8 :nws:

White Rock fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 19, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

White Rock posted:

The new one has moments where it keeps trying to make Duke a genuine hero, which is weird, cuz he is not really a "good guy". Also the tone is incredibly badly handled, with huge shifts from self aggrandizing to super serious. Like this scene which which is 2000x levels of hosed up: :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4OsqIC6wr8 :nws:

Seems like the devs made the game one-handed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, spoilers are leaking for the final episode, well... screen caps are. The dogs are back from S1

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Onmi posted:

So, spoilers are leaking for the final episode, well... screen caps are. The dogs are back from S1

I'm not sure how I feel about dropping this so late in the game where there's already so much to clean up in 22 minutes.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
One more sleep until the final episode of SamJack... what a ride.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

They'll announce The Adventures of Samurai Jack and Ninja Ashi at the end of the episode.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

EagerSleeper posted:

The Ben10 reboot is even worse. Everything about it is bad and uninteresting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Faustian Bargain posted:

The Ben10 reboot is even worse. Everything about it is bad and uninteresting.

They did a Ben 10 reboot despite the loss of Man of Action?

How many loving shows has cartoon network reboot? Why isn't there an Ed, Edd and Eddy or Megas XLR reboot? Why is nostalgia selling so well?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its not nostalgia as much as ben 10 being a goddamn merchandizing goldmine despite being a decent-mediocre show.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The Ben10 reboot is dog poo poo and you don't want more reboots in the same vein if you actually like the source.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Faustian Bargain posted:

The Ben10 reboot is dog poo poo and you don't want more reboots in the same vein if you actually like the source.

I have faith in Megas XLR not being poo poo if the OG writers were on it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Covok posted:

They did a Ben 10 reboot despite the loss of Man of Action?

How many loving shows has cartoon network reboot? Why isn't there an Ed, Edd and Eddy or Megas XLR reboot? Why is nostalgia selling so well?

Because some aspect of our culture seems to have stopped developing around the start of the millennium, and people are craving the past.

Or maybe that's just how it feels once you start to get old.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Covok posted:

I have faith in Megas XLR not being poo poo if the OG writers were on it.

Who can go wrong with the guys who thought:
"Hey lets make a villain"
"lets make him bruce campbell"
"But what about a design"
"How about just a giant chin"
"Ooh thats good"
"Lets make him MODOK but handsome!"

Its the
'hey dudes whatd you watch last night'
'mazinger z and transformers'
'Evil dead and avengers comics"
"Sailor moon"
"Space captain Hancock"

"Smurfs and Care bears

What dont judge me"

school of making a show.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 19, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Covok posted:

Why isn't there an Ed, Edd and Eddy reboot?

Antonucci owns the rights to the show, doesn't he? I remember someone jokingly sending him an idea of a modern CN reboot of EEnE, and his reaction was basically "gently caress off."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Who can go wrong with the guys who thought:
"Hey lets make a villain"
"lets make him bruce campbell"
"But what about a design"
"How about just a giant chin"
"Ooh thats good"
"Lets make him MODOK but handsome!"

Its the
'hey dudes whatd you watch last night'
'mazinger z and transformers'
'Evil dead and avengers comics"
"Sailor moon"
"Space captain Hancock"

"Smurfs and Care bears

What dont judge me"

school of making a show.

:colbert: You say this like its a bad thing.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Antonucci owns the rights to the show, doesn't he? I remember someone jokingly sending him an idea of a modern CN reboot of EEnE, and his reaction was basically "gently caress off."

Well, to be fair, did you read their idea for the reboot? "They're all friends? They give money to charity? No wobbly outlines?" Like, at that point, it's an original IP and a lovely one at that. Ed, Edd' and Eddy is a 90s show about three varying types of douchebag being douchebags to other varying types of douchebage with no lesson, moral, or purpose.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Covok posted:

:colbert: You say this like its a bad thing.

Well, to be fair, did you read their idea for the reboot? "They're all friends? They give money to charity? No wobbly outlines?" Like, at that point, it's an original IP and a lovely one at that. Ed, Edd' and Eddy is a 90s show about three varying types of douchebag being douchebags to other varying types of douchebage with no lesson, moral, or purpose.

The joke is that's most reboots. They miss the point of the shows they're rebooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Onmi posted:

The joke is that's most reboots. They miss the point of the shows they're rebooting.

Welp, I'm an idiot then. Should have picked up on the joke, but I'm just used to the internet missing the point entirely and being indignant about it. Which, ironically, is what I just did.

• Locked thread