Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

hopterque posted:

From the french EA facebook I guess:

Siggurdson is missing because he's probably gonna be the 24th player, ie, the tournament prize player, which would be very very nice.

So this is the first time I've seen a team of the year or whatever and I don't really know how this stuff is supposed to work but 1) how is Ibra top rated player in the Prem and 2) how is he better than Pele

edit - 2nd best player sorry, didn't see Hazard

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
He's only the best until 99 rated Son, the greatest player of all time, comes out

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

General Dire posted:

Hey vivisectvnv whats your PSN?

babeitskiy bud, add me

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

bewbies posted:

So this is the first time I've seen a team of the year or whatever and I don't really know how this stuff is supposed to work but 1) how is Ibra top rated player in the Prem and 2) how is he better than Pele

edit - 2nd best player sorry, didn't see Hazard

His rating is extremely inflated due to his reputation, and like half the players in the game are gonna be better than Pele now, because of power creep. Like Pele's rating is static and has stayed at one point and everyone else has been getting informs and special cards leading up to this point where all the 'best' players in each league get even larger bumps.

97 is still higher than I expected to see his card though.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
If that's real It confirms POTY = TOTS. Rip to those who did the POTY. I did the loan POTY on Mbappe and he's absolutely insane. So maybe I'll pick up the tots now. His dribbling is crazy, the best i've used with close dribbling and he somehow has good tackling as well now.

separate games. I used him in div 5 which isn't great but I only played divs so people wouldn't back out and I had already won the tournament.

General Dire posted:

edit: The corner advice was helpful but its tricky to pull off that pass to the inside of the box.

This is more of a clip showing off how sick El Sharaawy is but yea I play it short then see what opens up. That time he had no one pressing close so I could attempt a direct dribble.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I mean, if you had the previous cavani sbcs(which was only like 30k to make at that point) like I did you can get the 95 cavani for like 150k and there's no way in gently caress that TOTS version is cheaper than 250k, if not 300-350.

Also I mean I would legit rate him as the best striker I have used this year, from my experience using the 87 and the 90 rated cards.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

As a returning player, having last played Fifa 16, the penalty and corners feel worse, but I'll get the hang of em.

I'd love to hear any ways to make money in FUT though. Luckily I have a bunch of 1k coin boosts from levelling up in past games, but would love to hear any new techniques for money making that seem to work well in 17 to give me a chance to catch up in coins.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

I mean, if you had the previous cavani sbcs(which was only like 30k to make at that point) like I did you can get the 95 cavani for like 150k and there's no way in gently caress that TOTS version is cheaper than 250k, if not 300-350.

Also I mean I would legit rate him as the best striker I have used this year, from my experience using the 87 and the 90 rated cards.

Right, but thats a big if (having a previous cavani card), and that sbc is much more reasonably priced. The Kante thing cost 800k even if you had an untadeable IF somehow so that's terrible.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 18, 2017

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008

Seltzer posted:

This is more of a clip showing off how sick El Sharaawy is but yea I play it short then see what opens up. That time he had no one pressing close so I could attempt a direct dribble.

Sick goal, what do you use to change directions at pace like that?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

First time qualified! Gyasi Zardes is the truth :911:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

General Dire posted:

The Spin? That's a Mcgeady spin which is just a 5* skill version of the 4* berbatov spin. It's quicker and tighter than the berbatov spin and a lot better this year because the 4 star version is extra clunky. The rest was just feathering sprint and quick cuts with the analog stick. The spin moves are really effective especially when people aren't expecting them (basically any situation that isn't a winger trying to cut inside down the sideline), it's really good to cut in towards goal when running vertically imo.

My loan Mbappe card ran out and now I'm seriously debating locking away 200k just to get this card.

The loan sbc feature is very cool. Mbappe is legit. He's not the best overall dribbler I've used but he has the best heads up dribbling. It's tough to explain but he's lethal with it. The slight downside is he has a weird face in game and no announcer lines. Not a big deal breaker but I always like when the face scan and announcer lines are there (except for a chosen few. "Let me tell you about how marco reus missed the world cup" and "HAMSIKKKK" where the guys voice cracks during it.)

In other news the EPL TOTS sucks rear end. Out of 23 players only two are from outside the top 6 and one of those two will likely win the golden boot (Lukaku). United being gifted four tots for finishing 6th is a joke, I've been saying all year it's crazy how overrated and over favored epl players are in general compared to other leagues and United players in particular. There's not a single affordable or interesting player to put in a hybrid. They better put someone cool in for the tournament.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/6byfga/all_you_lads_that_cant_qualify_you_have_a_free/

Oh my, maybe I can get elite this weekend.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm glad I've now qualified once :reject:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

General Dire posted:

This seems to be a secret a few people know and don't like to share.

About 1 in 10 games, I'll face someone who can run like that with their players.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
To change pace while going fast the easiest ways are body feint and fake shot, but yeah like he said the mcgeady spin is good too if you have 4/5 star

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Any chance there's a TOTY conversion sbc coming up? I packed a duplicate Ritchie and I'm thinking of just taking the discard for other investment.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Any chance there's a TOTY conversion sbc coming up? I packed a duplicate Ritchie and I'm thinking of just taking the discard for other investment.

there might be so its worth holding on to cheap players for now i'd say.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Great, now I just have to exhibit self-control...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I'm glad I've now qualified once :reject:

Hey you got Rudy!

Funso Banjo posted:

This seems to be a secret a few people know and don't like to share.

About 1 in 10 games, I'll face someone who can run like that with their players.

I posted the move right above your post. Aside from the spin Sharaawy has crazy dribbling so all I'm doing is basic pace/direction control while timing my opponent. Aside from that I'll throw in heads up dribbling in spurts to glide and set my opponents off tempo like this

I pull back and fake right then he commits and I pull back again and run out left. You can see he's still momentarily trying to go right after he gets out of the tackle animation because he bit the initial movement. Then I used close control + big angled cuts to slip through the rest of the defense. Not a goal obviously but an example of how you can dribble with just a the analog stick and heads up dribbling. No skills or secrets. Obviously I wouldn't try all of this with someone with low dribbling (that's 89 Mbappe in the clip), The second part especially, but yea skills and stuff can seem overwhelming at first but simple stuff still works.

Anyways I've got a crap ton of IFs I'm not going to use anymore and they've been losing value. I'm debating selling today because the big crash starts tommorow, but, the fact that these tournaments with prizes are coming means I think I'll get more profit by just selling off players league by league when they're needed for the tournaments and make more coins in the long run that way.

e- Picked the newest Modeste when he hit a low. 2 headers, 1 assist and a rage quit. I think his TOTS is definitely replacing 92 Lewandowski and I'll probably put Lewandowski into an SBC.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

cot dam

Is there a useful tool for learning how and when to integrate skill moves into one's game? My working knowledge of dribbling extends to L2 vs R2

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

cot dam

Is there a useful tool for learning how and when to integrate skill moves into one's game? My working knowledge of dribbling extends to L2 vs R2

Uhhh, I could give you a list of the main skill moves I use and my suggestion would be to try to add them one by one to your game in singles matches. It's worthless trying most of this stuff against the cpu and playing against WL tryhards is never fun. There are in depth videos for each move on youtube, I don't really watch those but I'm sure someone could list off some good channels. The how is a bit easier to learn than when though I would say.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
honestly, skills moves are only barely important this year.

the most useful things for dribbling are shielding (l2), sprinting obviously, the face up dribble (pressing and holding l2 and r2 at the same time), and the fake shot. there's a couple other moves that are good to have in your arsenal but the basic stuff i just listed combined with good stick control is enough to absolutely clown on everyone basically.

e: Boraslegend just put out a new tutorial on shielding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ggTgq-a1Xs

If you want to learn how to play, watch his tutorials, they're to the point, no stupid hype bullshit, in game examples, etc.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also and this is not to take away from seltzer because that is some good dribbling there but that guy he was playing against looks loving awful at defense and spams the standing tackle button like 4 times just in that gif lol

Seltzer is obv a good player I just wanna lol at that guy's defense

Also yeah I really like Boraslegend, SOETIE, and some guy named Gallibeast as the best FIFA tutorials that have no bullshit

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Seltzer posted:

TOTKS Aspas is a loving massive steal. Speaking of, the biggest bargain at the moment is SIF Werner. He's a much better aubameyang for half the price

Lawen posted:

I upgraded my IF Werner to NIF Aubameyang not too long ago and it felt like a big upgrade so I was a little dubious of your claim but I just compared 2IF Werner to 87 Aub and sure enough, Werner's stats are pretty dominant in everything except FKs and Defense. Which leads me to ask, is the overall rating not a direct calculation based on the other stats? If you put 2IF Werner and NIF Aubameyang stats side by side, I don't see how you'd add them up or average them out to get 84 for Werner and 87 for Aub; seems like it should be the other way around.

I'm gonna pick up 2IF Werner today or tomorrow while the market's low and give him a shot.

Also, good call and thanks to everyone who suggested Keita for my Bundes squad, he's been an assist beast. Orange Sommer has also been a good upgrade in goal.
All this SIF-Werner chat caused me to ditch SIF-Burgstaller and try out Werner. Annnnnnd holy gently caress he owns hard.

this loving angle,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUMNVXevmI&t=16s

he's scored several of these 'low bombs' for me now,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilKbyWJjG1M&t=19s

and my favorite goal with him so far,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUnCL4sKtw&t=27s

Overall, thanks everyone, I was overlooking this card and I'm glad I got'em. My b-squad is killing it now.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I packed a TOTS player but it was discard-value Baumann :smith:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Oh my god monthly rewards next month are TOTS players, same pattern as usual so the top 100 guys get 44 (untradeable) TOTS players and elite get 12-20 gold TOTS players and etc.

That's pretty loving cool of EA.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Then I used close control + big angled cuts to slip through the rest of the defense.

Is this with just the left analog stick? My friends use knock ons really effectively to dribble but mostly when I use them I tend to get pushed off the ball anyway.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

General Dire posted:

Is this with just the left analog stick? My friends use knock ons really effectively to dribble but mostly when I use them I tend to get pushed off the ball anyway.

Yea I believe, the right stick aside from knock ons can be used for big direction changes at pace but you need a lot of space. Knock ons are great for when you have space or you're out of options and you can some times knock it past a tackle.

PL Player prices have been crazy. Tots eriksen was 330k at one point today. Nuts. The Alli card which cost 1 million coins for the SBC was going for 280k at one point as well. I missed the mass opening and all the sbcs so hopefully they do some big lightning rounds this weekend to crater prices again.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I packed one EPL TOTS card from my saved packs, and it was Keane, who is worth the least of all of them but honestly looks pretty loving great so I'm just gonna hold on to him.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

Oh my god monthly rewards next month are TOTS players, same pattern as usual so the top 100 guys get 44 (untradeable) TOTS players and elite get 12-20 gold TOTS players and etc.

That's pretty loving cool of EA.
Yeah that's actually surprisingly generous of them.

hopterque posted:

I packed one EPL TOTS card from my saved packs, and it was Keane, who is worth the least of all of them but honestly looks pretty loving great so I'm just gonna hold on to him.
I did a dumb thing and burned 50k coins on some lightning round packs. Best card pulled was Sneijder. :suicide: I mean I expected it, but drat.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well, I didnt' start 12-2 or 13-3 this week.

I'm 9-9 so far :smith:

Maybe I can pull some poo poo out later, I gotta step it up or I'm gonna miss out on the big red card bonanza

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm 8-13 :twisted:

There were a few players that just blew me away but overall I'm happy with performance. I had no idea that there were coins and packs for even just keeping a 1/4 pace

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Well, I didnt' start 12-2 or 13-3 this week.

I'm 9-9 so far :smith:

Maybe I can pull some poo poo out later, I gotta step it up or I'm gonna miss out on the big red card bonanza

The red TOTS cards are for june's weekend leagues, if that makes you feel any better.

I'm 9-6 which is was doing pretty well but then I lost 3 in a row last night playing my last 5 for the day so that was pretty annoying.

I did have one of those moments that keeps me playing this game, some guy with some disgusting team featuring RB ronaldo and other equally absurd poo poo scored a stupid goal like 5 minutes into a game yesterday and then did the thing cocky fuckheads do and paused it to give me a chance to quit. Which of course I didn't take, and then scored 3 goals in like 20 in game minutes with red Martial and then had him ragequit.

I really hate the pause it so you can quit thing people have started doing the last few weeks it seems, like, if I'm gonna quit I'll do it myself and it definitely won't be 1 goal or even 2 goals down in the first half. So it usually gets me super motivated to kick some rear end and leads to a lot of good comebacks.

Oh and 95 Cavani is loving absurd, I think I'm at 13 goals and 12 assists in 15 games or something like that, all weekend league obviously. He's so, so much faster than he has any right to be so I've scored a few by basically just running at people really hard and they're like "Oh it's Cavani, he is Slow", and then i'm past them.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I actually had some sick comebacks, I came back from down 0-3 in the first 20 minutes, and I ALMOST came down from 4-0 in a game where I tied it 4-4 in the 90th minute and then he ran it straight to the by line and crossed it in and won in stoppage :(

But still I was pretty happy I got it back in the first place to even

That does make me feel better about the June TOTS thing, thanks!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm doing well 7-3. I'm not kidding though, 8 of the teams have had Fosu-Mensah. I know the card is good but I swear there is no creativity in the fifa community. An entire silver tots squad was released but you gotta copy everyone else!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
PHEWWWWWWWW.

Gold 1 again, barely, had to win my last 4 in a row. Being essentially forced to play with a single squad instead of how I normally do, and playing with the silvers, was pretty fun and interesting but man am I gonna be glad to get back to using all my good players again.

Cavani's stats for all 40 weekend league games, Martial's for the last few weekend leagues plus the tournaments for Rudy in there.

Cavani was incredible, just basically unstoppable, I can't overstate it enough. An absolute monster of a player.

e: Also this is 7 weeks in a row of gold 1 which I am pretty happy with

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 21, 2017

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ended up Gold 3, which for my first attempt I'm happy with. I feel like my game actually improved as the weekend wore on, which was unexpected.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Ended up Gold 3, which for my first attempt I'm happy with. I feel like my game actually improved as the weekend wore on, which was unexpected.

Hell yeah, congrats. That means you'll be auto qualified for next weekend.

As far as the improvement thing goes, I'd say I'm a way better player than I've ever been, and it's almost entirely due to the level of competition in the weekend league and taking it pretty seriously and so on, so yeah, it'll make you better in a hurry.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 21, 2017

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I neglected to mention that the advice y'all have given over the past few weeks has been really helpful, and I consider the fact I made it at all partly the responsibility of this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I neglected to mention that the advice y'all have given over the past few weeks has been really helpful, and I consider the fact I made it at all partly the responsibility of this thread!

:3:

We've definitely got some pretty decent players in the thread, so I'm glad everyone was able to help you improve as much as we could.

I forgot to post this earlier: Highlights and one spectacular lowlight from one of my games on Friday I think. One of the worst own goals I've ever scored in the 2nd vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rW12tm68k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2AEU4okCoo

• Locked thread