Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
my local GW is a hive of scum and villany

gently caress that place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I like mass effect andromeda.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bad Moon posted:

I actually haven't actually stepped foot in a brick and mortar store since Fantasy Battles died, are they still one man operations that are closed sundays and Mondays and for lunch breaks?

I just checked and the local one is closed Mondays and Tuesdays and closes on Wednesday - Saturday for what I guess is a lunch break (it closes 3-3:30, otherwise open noon - 8pm). Isn't that half hour closing really inconvenient on the Saturday? Do they make people pack up and leave, or do you think that everyone puts their games on hold and troops outside for half an hour while the guy goes to Subway or something?

I am assuming they still have tables for people to play, although if you have a one-man store I don't know how you could help run games, man the counter, and upsell to nerds.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My one man store just turned into a two man store. Number two guy is retired and just covers Monday, Tuesday and helps on weekends.

It works out okay, but we play in our goon basements or the non-affiliated FLGS most often.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Ashcans posted:

I just checked and the local one is closed Mondays and Tuesdays and closes on Wednesday - Saturday for what I guess is a lunch break (it closes 3-3:30, otherwise open noon - 8pm). Isn't that half hour closing really inconvenient on the Saturday? Do they make people pack up and leave, or do you think that everyone puts their games on hold and troops outside for half an hour while the guy goes to Subway or something?

I am assuming they still have tables for people to play, although if you have a one-man store I don't know how you could help run games, man the counter, and upsell to nerds.

One of the few times i went to the GW store in my home town the guy basically said "Who wants to do a food run for me? Would be a shame if i had to close down the shop while i'm out, right?" to the little kids playing and painting there. I also remember that you weren't allowed to sit unless you were playing or painting which is fine if there are other people who want to do either but if there's no one else and you're standing next next to an empty chair it feels a bit weird.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The GW store experiences make it sound like visiting a cult or weird scientology gathering place

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BULBASAUR posted:

The GW store experiences make it sound like visiting a cult or weird scientology gathering place

That's pretty accurate. It's Crossfit for nerd hobbies. You even have a WOD.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
In my experience, the nerds in GW stores are usually just as bad as the ones in most FLGSes, the stores just tend to be smaller

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No you see GW with its one-man no-gaming-space kiosk "stores" that close for lunch are good and cool, they have to be, because GW is good now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

this is 200% accurate

cultish is exactly the experience

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Moola posted:

this is 200% accurate

cultish is exactly the experience

I would have thought that you would like them now.

After all, they're running on skeleton staff.

:v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ashcans posted:

:drat:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ashcans posted:

:vince:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Why does gw even bother running stores? game stores are a shitshow in terms of profitability

Aaod
May 29, 2004
If I had to guess it is because old British grognards don't use the internet and are used to buying in person and they think everyone else is like that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's because of momentum and tradition.

But also because, to the extent their stores outcompete and push out other game stores that might sell GW products, they can prevent customers from having access to discounts on their own products. They capture full RRP on every item sold both through their webstore and through their physical locations, while competing brick & mortar stores and online stores can cut their own margins to sell discounted product. Famously, GW never puts anything on sale, ever, and they have used every tactic available to try to prevent their own partners - indie stores that sell GW products, which they call "independent stockists" - from undercutting their RRPs.

However, the law is on the side of the stockists, so those discounts are always available. But GW has generally been able to at least prevent retailers from advertising discounts. I think someone mentioned recently that that might be going away soon? Not sure.

The funny part is, by alienating former customers, they ensure a steady supply of their products at steep discount on eBay, which undercuts even their independent stockists, who then have less of a reason to bother to stock GW products. This happens every time a bunch of customers get pissed off because their faction gets an update that makes it suck, their game gets an update with bad rules, their models get obsoleted, etc. and it's always amazing to see.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm just wondering what on earth you would do in a games store (besides playing or painting) that you might need a seat for. Are you so out-of-shape that you need to take a breather while picking out the right boxes of army mans?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Speleothing posted:

I'm just wondering what on earth you would do in a games store (besides playing or painting) that you might need a seat for. Are you so out-of-shape that you need to take a breather while picking out the right boxes of army mans?

A lot of people (in the UK and denser parts of the US) don't have room for a giantass felt table in their homes

Oh, I misread your post. Whatever. Yes, probably.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BTW for anyone in the US, miniatures market now has GW products for some %discount if you feel the need.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

BTW for anyone in the US, miniatures market now has GW products for some %discount if you feel the need.

What a great time to :siren: give GW money :siren:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
That's rad. Once GW makes a good model, I'll be all over that!!

I kid, I kid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

There have always been several online retailers offering a blanket discount on GW products. The difference here is only that miniatures market is now putting the discount on their web store pages, which previously would have violated GW's TOS. If GW have relaxed their TOS, that's good news and another sign that the company is... well, not good, but no worse in this respect than other game companies, because this really is the bare minimum bar for not being assholes to their third-party retailers.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Specifically, GW allowed web stores to 1) list GW products and let users put said products into a shopping cart and 2) advertise a discount of up to 15%. This is a good thing, but only relative to how it was before, which was not good; for another company, it would merely be expected. (The advertising limit is debatable, but it does help prevent the bottom from dropping out and loving over FLGSes.)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
:siren: BUY GW MINIATURES IF YOU LIKE THEM AND THE PRICE IS NOT TOO HIGH MAYBE? :siren:

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Moola posted:

:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY! :siren:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

:siren: BUY GW MINIATURES IF YOU LIKE THEM AND THE PRICE IS NOT TOO HIGH MAYBE? :siren:

You are loving with my skull right meow, dude.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
stay safe opossum

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Is walking in circles due to brain damage common enough that it needs to go into Opossums 101?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XwGXGiQKTU&t=438s

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-J3nJerAyQ&t=543s

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress yeah Tigtone!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That "waaaaah!" he gives at the end of that sequence gets me every time.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Nothing has rabies until it gets rabies.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
last time I checked the UK was rabies free

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Moola posted:

last time I checked the UK was rabies free

It's also opossum free. UK has possums.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Australia has possums and is rabies free

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

NTRabbit posted:

Australia has possums and is rabies free

The wildlife was too poisonous for rabies to survive in the host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's also opossum free. UK has possums.

It's also possum free...

• Locked thread