Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That was also really funny. First it's revealed that Ego killed his mother, and he crushes the Walkman afterwards to escalate his villainy.

You are very weird. But not in an endearing way like Drax. In a bad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You seem to be taking it as a given that the Walkman is a really poignant thing, but it's also (inadvertently or not) a perfect symbol of the story's immaturity. This whole line of argumentation brings to mind Harry Knowles's review of Toy Story 3;

quote:

But here... in this movie... I fall out of love with ANDY because he hands over WOODY. Now I get it. Ultimately, that's what Woody wanted, to be with his friends with an ideal imaginative great kid with a peculiar imagination. And Andy has one of those stupid mothers that would harp about his toys. Handing him a box and a trash bag and telling him to choose. What the hell? It is bad enough that this family has never figured out the actual value of Woody in the collectibles sphere... but the idea that in the end, Andy would give up WOODY. It kinda pisses me off. Now, we've never found out why ANDY had Woody - and in all the time in that house, we've never seen Andy's father. I bring this up, because I'm writing this on FATHER'S DAY. What is Andy's father situation? The father isn't there the day the boy goes off to college? We met Andy right after the birth of Andy's sister - and there was no Father then. I like to think that Andy's father died in some manner that left Andy's mom with the money to buy the house and take care of the two kids. Whatever happened to Andy's father, he was out of the picture significantly in advance of the first film... but... I always harbored the suspicion that WOODY was Andy's father's toy. That Woody's obsessive compulsion to be there for ANDY came from that relationship he had with Andy's father. And that it was possible, that Woody never necessarily knew this. I imagine that Woody was played with by his previous owner, that he went into the attic - then perhaps when Andy's father passed away, his Grandmother went through her son's things and found Woody - remembered how much that Woody meant to Andy's father - and felt it should go to Andy. Obviously WOODY meant everything to Andy for awhile. The wallpaper, the bedsheets - all for a toy that was beyond Andy's time. But this toy meant the most. Even at the end of the movie, he finds it incredibly hard to let go of Woody, but there's something about the notion of Woody still being played with that makes him happy. The notion though of leaving childish things behind, giving your toys to the next generation... I loathe that conceit.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mulva posted:

To be fair a lot [Not all mind you, but a lot] is intentionally copying the visuals of the action movies it is referencing. So it's easier to have a striking cinematic look when you are shot for shot remaking a perfectly done scene from another movie. Not a pass, you still have to execute, but you certainly have the blueprint in front of you. The comedy is often [Again, not always, sometimes it's a bit more subtle or nuanced] then taking the high stakes action movie shot and setting it in a quiet English town. Doesn't make it less enjoyable, but it does take it down a few notches in originality of vision.

As shown in Guy A. Person's video, most of the funniest shots in Hot Fuzz aren't visual references to other movies - they're original compositions and they often convey some meaning or emotion in addition to the humour. The point is, it's not an either/or thing; a movie can have good cinematography that's also funny at the same time. GotG2 is better than GotG1 is better than most Marvel movies, but a lack of visual flair is a legit criticism. No one has actually disagreed with this charge, only excused it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You seem to be taking it as a given that the Walkman is a really poignant thing, but it's also (inadvertently or not) a perfect symbol of the story's immaturity. This whole line of argumentation brings to mind Harry Knowles's review of Toy Story 3;

You're posting on a message board you paid money for (or someone paid money for) talking about a comic book film. You're not really a bastion of maturity.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

You're posting on a message board you paid money for (or someone paid money for) talking about a comic book film. You're not really a bastion of maturity.

Lt. Danger posted:

No one has actually disagreed with this charge, only excused it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
I'm not sure that maturity is even a good thing in the context of pulp sci-fi adventure comedy.

I would definitely say that a lot of the comedy of Quill's character is at the expense of his attempts to appear more mature than he actually is.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
This movie was worse than the first in pretty much every way. Weird dude who asked what I didnt like about the scenery I will make a detailed post for you and you alone later.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lt. Danger posted:

No one has actually disagreed with this charge, only excused it.

To the shock of everyone, I did.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

This movie was worse than the first in pretty much every way. Weird dude who asked what I didnt like about the scenery I will make a detailed post for you and you alone later.

Not a weirdo, just want you to back up your empty complaints.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Why must this movie remain perfect to you? Why can't you like something that has flaws?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

Why must this movie remain perfect to you? Why can't you like something that has flaws?

The thread is about the movie. Feel free to dislike the movie, but if you don't want to talk about it, just don't. Please don't make it about the other posters who do want to talk about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoldfishStew posted:

Why can't you like something with flaws?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

GoldfishStew posted:

This movie, unlike your posts, has several redeeming qualities despite its flaws

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

On second viewing this is probably the best Marvel movie on balance.

Not that that's a super high bar but still.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

lol Jesus loving Christ.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Thor 1 is still tops imho but im a sucker for shakespeare.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve2911 posted:

I mean, I saw it again at 11am on a whim to kill time, and I still cried my eyes out so. I dunno. It's pretty dang amazing?

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Lt. Danger posted:

... but a lack of visual flair is a legit criticism. No one has actually disagreed with this charge, only excused it.
I disagreed with it -- explicitly.

Any criticism can be legit if supported, but BravestOfTheLamps made an unsubstantiated claim using vague terminology based on what I maintain is a flawed interpretation of the film's intent.

Here's the entirety of their argument regarding the cinematography of GotG v2:

...that scene of Kurt Russell pontificating about how he's not alone with very undynamic shots and set just reminds one how better the equivalent sequences with Jor-El and Zod were.

It's not a particularly radical opinion to note that Man of Steel is visually speaking probably the best of all superhero movies. You don't even need to like Zack Snyder to admit that he's a great visual stylist. It's also not very radical to note that the GotG movies aren't particularly good looking despite all the colourful sci-fi imagery - the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie for example looks superior (also looks funnier, as a comedy).

Man of Steel is a great-looking movie. You don't like it, but to deny it's technical accomplishments is just silly.

The GotG movies are praised for being colourful, but it actually gets quite dull, and is mostly just adequate.

Even GotG2's high-lights, like the body-warping hyperspace pinball or or the arrow massacre, aren't that good. The latter for example would've been improved by dropping the pointless slow-mo walk and music.
This one in particular blows my mind; how on earth would speeding up the scene and dropping its soundtrack have improved it?

...What visual and narrative inventiveness is being ignored? Basically anyone you ask is going to agree that these movies are a bit by-the-numbers.
So far the entirety of their argument has been 'Man of Steel (and HHGttG is better). Then they digress for a while to talk about GotG v1 and the sexual themes of PG13 family movies.

Here's round 2 of their 'critiques':

Examples from GotG2 would have to include that scene where Ego is pontificating about how he's not alone in the universe when his villainy is revealed, for one. All the shots and the sets do very little to accentuate the emotion and horror of the scene (that zoom on Star-Lord is just bad). Sure, the set looks nice, the directing is there, the acting is sufficient, but better things have been done with cinema.

GotG movies are unimpressive past the immediate observation that they're colourful and sometimes pretty.

I'm specifically talking about visuals. GotG 1&2 feature very impressive technical achievements, but they're in the service of very bland sci-fi. This is why the movies rely so heavily on catchy pop songs to hammer in certain scenes.

The GotG movies occasionally have what is basically good-looking sci-fi environments and action, but like Cnut the Great pointed out the visual storytelling is lacking at best. The one example that struck me most was when GotG's villain is called Ego and is all about egoism and solipsism, but the direction or visual design doesn't bring any of that across. it was really bad, because you can convey domineering egoism pretty easily with camera angles or close-ups.

Oddly enough, Ronan was a much more convincing egoist because he was a narcissist who was really into performing a role.
BravestOfTheLamps hasn't been making critiques at all, only assertions. According to them, the movie's visuals are undynamic, colourful, dull, unimpressive, impressive, and bland. The only actual scenes they use to support these assertions are 'Come a Little Bit Closer' with Yondu, and Ego's 'villain moment'. Although they're somewhat vague about it my take is that in both of those scenes they felt James Gunn's cinematography undercut the emotions that he was supposedly trying to convey. Which is patiently wrong. Both of those scenes have been praised extensively in this thread as being shocking and unexpected. The first was (imo) majestic and the second genuinely horrifying.

With Guardians of the Galaxy v2 James Gunn built a Ferrari, and BravestOfTheLamps can't get over the fact that's not a sailboat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lt. Danger posted:

As shown in Guy A. Person's video, most of the funniest shots in Hot Fuzz aren't visual references to other movies - they're original compositions and they often convey some meaning or emotion in addition to the humour. The point is, it's not an either/or thing; a movie can have good cinematography that's also funny at the same time. GotG2 is better than GotG1 is better than most Marvel movies, but a lack of visual flair is a legit criticism. No one has actually disagreed with this charge, only excused it.

The final "Things other directors should do like him" reel has a number of things that are done in basically all his movies. So yeah, quite a few of his shots are him referencing other movies. It's just that some of the times those movies are his own. Which isn't to take away from those films, but as I said. It's easier to make a striking shot or comedic moment when you are just copying another one that was done before, sometimes by you yourself. By definition referencing your own work again and again isn't inventive. I love his trilogy [Never saw Scott Pilgrim, not really my bag], and there are some striking scenes, but there are far less original striking scenes in comparison to I don't know, lets say "reference" shots.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mulva posted:

The final "Things other directors should do like him" reel has a number of things that are done in basically all his movies. So yeah, quite a few of his shots are him referencing other movies. It's just that some of the times those movies are his own. Which isn't to take away from those films, but as I said. It's easier to make a striking shot or comedic moment when you are just copying another one that was done before, sometimes by you yourself. By definition referencing your own work again and again isn't inventive. I love his trilogy [Never saw Scott Pilgrim, not really my bag], and there are some striking scenes, but there are far less original striking scenes in comparison to I don't know, lets say "reference" shots.

I dunno I feel like this whole sentiment is kinda weird because on the one hand I agree he is a student of film and has certainly pulled from other sources while inventing his own techniques that he reuses. But then that makes it sound super easy so why doesn't Gunn do that? I'm not even saying he necessarily isn't, like I said I am bad at picking that stuff up especially on first view. But it seems like your argument is that Gunn is repeatedly doing shots that can't (or for some reason he won't) borrow from other films -- or create a language of visual humor that he can recycle in subsequent Guardian films like Wright did.

EDIT: Oh and he does already visually reference a few films, notably North by Northwest, Mary Poppins, and Zack Snyder's Watchmen

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 19, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

This one in particular blows my mind; how on earth would speeding up the scene and dropping its soundtrack have improved it?

The Scene Set to Pop Song #31 was a passable space comedy scene, not some masterwork of cinema.

Yakmouth posted:

BravestOfTheLamps hasn't been making critiques at all, only assertions. According to them, the movie's visuals are undynamic, colourful, dull, unimpressive, impressive, and bland. The only actual scenes they use to support these assertions are 'Come a Little Bit Closer' with Yondu, and Ego's 'villain moment'. Although they're somewhat vague about it my take is that in both of those scenes they felt James Gunn's cinematography undercut the emotions that he was supposedly trying to convey. Which is patiently wrong. Both of those scenes have been praised extensively in this thread as being shocking and unexpected. The first was (imo) majestic and the second genuinely horrifying.

Instead of saying why they were good, you state how they were 'extensively' praised for being 'shocking and unexpected'. Maybe people just liked some mediocre scenes?

Yakmouth posted:

With Guardians of the Galaxy v2 James Gunn built a Ferrari, and BravestOfTheLamps can't get over the fact that's not a sailboat.

...A glitzy, overhyped piece of capitalist excess vs something romantically adventurous?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 19, 2017

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

The Scene Set to Pop Song #31 was a passable space comedy scene, not some masterwork of cinema.
So you're upgrading your score from 'not that good' to 'passable'. Okay, are you willing to explain how you think cutting its soundtrack would have improved the comedy of the scene?

Instead of saying why they were good, you state how they were 'extensively' praised for being 'shocking and unexpected'. Maybe people just liked some mediocre scenes?

My proof is empirical, here's a partial selection of quotes:
Those are genuine emotional responses. The scenes worked because they did what they set out to do: make people gasp, tear-up, etc.
What made them mediocre?

...A glitzy piece of capitalist excess vs something romantically adventurous?
Only if you imagine that sailboats are cheap and cross-country road trips unromantic. Otherwise, no.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Mulva posted:

there are far less original striking scenes in comparison to I don't know, lets say "reference" shots.

This is straight up unsupportable. I don't know how you've gotten this idea.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno I feel like this whole sentiment is kinda weird because on the one hand I agree he is a student of film and has certainly pulled from other sources while inventing his own techniques that he reuses. But then that makes it sound super easy so why doesn't Gunn do that? I'm not even saying he necessarily isn't, like I said I am bad at picking that stuff up especially on first view. But it seems like your argument is that Gunn is repeatedly doing shots that can't (or for some reason he won't) borrow from other films -- or create a language of visual humor that he can recycle in subsequent Guardian films like Wright did.

EDIT: Oh and he does already visually reference a few films, notably North by Northwest, Mary Poppins, and Zack Snyder's Watchmen

I've also mentioned that the Ego introducing his planet scene seems to reference the "If You Want To View Paradise" scene from Willy Wonka.

It reminded me of it, anyway. Seems fitting for Ego to try and be Willy Wonka to Star-Lord's Charlie and woo him into wanting "the factory".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh man if he did intentionally reference Willy Wonka its almost a shame he didn't later call back to the infamously creepy boat ride scene to boost the whole "something is not right and creepy here" vibes that Gamora was getting

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh man if he did intentionally reference Willy Wonka its almost a shame he didn't later call back to the infamously creepy boat ride scene to boost the whole "something is not right and creepy here" vibes that Gamora was getting

But Willy Wonka was deliberately trying to creep everyone out as a test of faith, so he played it up, while Ego was trying to hide his own creep factor to keep his genocide operation running smoothly.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

So you're upgrading your score from 'not that good' to 'passable'. Okay, are you willing to explain how you think cutting its soundtrack would have improved the comedy of the scene?

My proof is empirical, here's a partial selection of quotes:

Those are genuine emotional responses. The scenes worked because they did what they set out to do: make people gasp, tear-up, etc.
What made them mediocre?

Only if you imagine that sailboats are cheap and cross-country road trips unromantic. Otherwise, no.

Well now you're just being silly - emotional reactions can actually undermine critical judgement. Instead of talking about direction, cinematography, composition, etc, you're reducing it to a question if other people cried or gasped.

The Pop Song Scene #31 is 'passable' - it meets the minimum requirements of being technically functional. It's not very good, and just another wearisome segment like the Cherry Bomb scene in the first movie. The arrow is a striking visual motif, but the scene is narratively pointless, as it doesn't accomplish much aside from being 'cool' and providing the catharsis of seeing the less marketable freakish outcasts get slaughtered (I'd love to eventually see a Youtube Dubber with, say, the Requiem for a Dream theme over it).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 19, 2017

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Well now you're just being silly - emotional reactions can actually undermine critical judgement. Instead of talking about direction, cinematography, composition, etc, you're reducing it to a question if other people cried or gasped.

You brought emotion into the conversation, not me.

Examples from GotG2 would have to include that scene where Ego is pontificating about how he's not alone in the universe when his villainy is revealed,for one. All the shots and the sets do very little to accentuate the emotion and horror of the scene (that zoom on Star-Lord is just bad).
You say the emotion was undercut. This is explicitly refuted by the testimony of people reacting to the scene. It was direction, cinematography composition, etc, that caused their reaction. And honestly, emotional reactions are all you ever have. You were 'uninspired' and 'wearied' by the movie. By all means stop using vague weasel-words and start thinking critically. You are the lamp calling the kettle black.

The Pop Song Scene #31 is 'passable' - it meets the minimum requirements of being technically functional. It's not very good, and just another wearisome segment like the Cherry Bomb scene in the first movie. The arrow is a striking visual motif, but the scene is narratively pointless, as it doesn't accomplish much aside from being 'cool' and providing the catharsis of seeing the less marketable freakish outcasts get slaughtered (I'd love to eventually see a Youtube Dubber with, say, the Requiem for a Dream theme over it).
It was a very striking scene. I'm glad you've come around to agreeing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

For context, will you just list 5-10 movies you consider your personal favorites / the best movies you've seen? You can quantify it however you like, I'm just incredibly curious as to your context of what constitutes as good/great/masterpiece on an emotional/technical level.

Or if you can't say anything nice about a movie, you can do a list of 5-10 movies you consider the worst, and list some reasons why.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

You brought emotion into the conversation, not me.

You say the emotion was undercut. This is explicitly refuted by the testimony of people reacting to the scene. It was direction, cinematography composition, etc, that caused their reaction. And honestly, emotional reactions are all you ever have. You were 'uninspired' and 'wearied' by the movie. By all means stop using vague weasel-words and start thinking critically. You are the lamp calling the kettle black.

It was a very striking scene. I'm glad you've come around to agreeing.

I was talking about the emotions and sentiments the scene represented, and you started talking about emotional reactions as an appeal to popularity.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 29, 2017

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Uh, okay? My favourite movies, in no particular order:

- Die Nibelungen (1924)
- Beauty and the Beast (1946)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Adventures of Tintin
- Man of Steel
- Rules of the Game
- Dominic Deegan
- Princess Bride
- Hidden Fortress
- Lapland Odyssey
- Ardbeg
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

hahahahahaha HaahahhahaHahaha hahahaha hahahahaha haa ok

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, try watching some good movies, lmao

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Doesn't Lamps have like actual not joke, not internet autism? He's kinda gonna have nonstandard emotional responses to things.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This is the most anime movie I've ever seen that isn't actually an anime.

It falls into every common sequel pitfall and they still haven't figured out what to do with Gamora. Also the flippant attitude about mass murder was kind of weird, but the original had that as well. The tumor thing was stupid and unnecessary. Yondu was still a delight, and most of the humor hit the mark.

Not as good as the original by a long shot, but still an enjoyable romp. The kids in the audience LOVED it and reacted loudly to every joke, every badass moment, and even the sad scenes.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 19, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

poisonpill posted:

hahahahahaha HaahahhahaHahaha hahahaha hahahahaha haa ok

That's trying too hard. Did you even notice two of those aren't movies?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Doesn't Lamps have like actual not joke, not internet autism? He's kinda gonna have nonstandard emotional responses to things.

I think it's a bit weird to accuse people of autism for not liking a comic book blockbuster.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I was talking about the emotions and sentiments the scene represented, and you started talking about emotional reactions as an appeal to popularity.

As an appeal to popularity? Not at all. You seem to have it completely backwards, imagining that people are only laughing and gasping and crying because the movie is popular when in actuality their reactions are the source of the film's popularity.

Please explain the difference between the emotions a scene 'represents' and the emotional reaction the scene invokes. Other than cause and effect, I mean.

You can't call a scene 'scary' if it doesn't make people scared.
You can't call a scene 'funny' if it doesn't make people laugh.

If people react to a particular moment in an intended manner it seems obvious that the moment 'worked'.

Analysis is about deciphering why it worked (or didn't work as the case may be). It isn't about trying to convince people that their reactions are somehow 'wrong'.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I think it's a bit weird to accuse people of autism for not liking a comic book blockbuster.

I would have sworn that after on of your really weird derails in some move thread you admitted you had autism and it made it hard for you to understand certain types of character motivations? I may be thinking of someone else I guess?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe it's because I look at films through a more filmmakery lens, but to me, getting someone to feel something from the piece of art you created is extremely great and super hard to achieve. You can want people to be critical of films and poo poo and that's fine I guess. But I just don't see any real application for it outside of a classroom. Human beings are emotional creatures. We use emotions to communicate, and to articulate ideas and opinions. To remove that element from art, and especially this artform, is pretty disingenuous.

I don't give a poo poo about looking critically and objectively at films because I really really don't have too. I'm not being graded on it, I'm not being probated for not doing it. If that is how you personally view art, more power to you. You do you. But don't expect everyone to understand your very off putting and alienating view point, you know? We get it, ya don't dig the film because it's not as visually great as other films, and you don't like the concept of immaturity. Fair enough. But as you can see, it's not an issue for everyone else.

So uh, maybe try watching films to feel something...and feel those things, and feel emotions and your life would be better over all instead of trying to critically analyze films all the time.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

It's not hard when you are just using tropes done and seen before and are known to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, no one has to judge films and be a filmmaker themselves, but uh...give it a try. It's super drat hard.

• Locked thread