Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Anybody have any experience with different builds of Death's Shadow? I was all geared up to start playing Jund Death's Shadow, but I think I'm leaning more towards Grixis, partly because it's similar to Delver and partly because I have most of it and have 0 tarmogoyfs. I do have Mishra's Bauble though, but they don't seem to be played in Grixis. Should I go ahead and sell them while they're still in between $30 or $40?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing In The Ice
I'm partial to his Toil // Trouble Man Soundtrack.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

InterrupterJones posted:

Anybody have any experience with different builds of Death's Shadow? I was all geared up to start playing Jund Death's Shadow, but I think I'm leaning more towards Grixis, partly because it's similar to Delver and partly because I have most of it and have 0 tarmogoyfs. I do have Mishra's Bauble though, but they don't seem to be played in Grixis. Should I go ahead and sell them while they're still in between $30 or $40?

The problem with baubles is that they aren't going down unless death shadow is banned or its reprinted. If you aren't going to play with them then yes, sell them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

InterrupterJones posted:

Yeah I mean if you don't have goyfs and aren't going to buy them, you simply can't play DSJ. Grixis Delver is certainly basically as powerful, but plays a bit differently. If you like Grixis Delver style decks it's essentially a strictly better version of it. Selling your baubles to finance other magic things is probably a perfectly fine idea if you aren't going to buy goyfs.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cactrot posted:

I hope this is a typo, if it isn't don't do this.

It's obviously a typo, T and Y are next to each other.

And yes, in today's story, Hazoret inflicts a battle-rage effect on the Superfriends forcing them to engage in non-magical combat with the initiates. Liliana and Chandra beat people up with their fists and for some reason Nissa physically throws Jace at someone she is fighting. Also, Gideon sucks at combat where he isn't invincible.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 18, 2017

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
The next story spotlight is going to be about how Gideon discovers that he was never truly invincible at all. He was just protected by his belief.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Sickening posted:

The problem with baubles is that they aren't going down unless death shadow is banned or its reprinted. If you aren't going to play with them then yes, sell them.

I'd frankly be shocked if Death's Shadow got banned. It seems easy to deal with for most decks that expect it.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah I mean if you don't have goyfs and aren't going to buy them, you simply can't play DSJ. Grixis Delver is certainly basically as powerful, but plays a bit differently. If you like Grixis Delver style decks it's essentially a strictly better version of it. Selling your baubles to finance other magic things is probably a perfectly fine idea if you aren't going to buy goyfs.

That's what I figured. With how quick it plays, DSJ seemed more like a burn deck than a zoo deck. I appreciate being able to be a bit more methodical about how I interact with dealing damage to my opponent and to myself.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

InterrupterJones posted:

I'd frankly be shocked if Death's Shadow got banned. It seems easy to deal with for most decks that expect it.

That's what I figured. With how quick it plays, DSJ seemed more like a burn deck than a zoo deck. I appreciate being able to be a bit more methodical about how I interact with dealing damage to my opponent and to myself.

I agree, I can't see a single thing in modern getting banned until something from a new set breaks it. You can't ask for a more diverse format.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My only issue with Death's Shadow decks is that the card requires fairly specific answers that also tend to be somewhat narrow (in the sense that overloading on Push/Path effects leaves you with lots of dead draws against Ad Nauseum, Karn Tron, etc) while also being able to maindeck like 8 discard effects to rip those answers out of your hand.

That said, I haven't bee following Modern lately so I couldn't say if Death Shadow decks are putting up overbearing results.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't see anything getting banned or unbanned in Modern until someone comes up with something really dumb. Modern is protected from horseshit like Aetherworks Marvel summoning Emrakul, the Aeons Torn because cards like Stony Silence exist.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I agree, I can't see a single thing in modern getting banned until something from a new set breaks it. You can't ask for a more diverse format.

Modern is incredible right now. I mean just look at this range of decks and archetypes.

http://mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=222&meta=51&f=MO

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

birthing pod was cool, the kiki-jiki decks with white were cool

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If the past is any indication I could see them taking something out of Storm if that deck continues to gain popularity but it's not there yet and might not get there at all unless

Sickening posted:

something from a new set breaks it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

In continued "lol WotC software" news, the draft visualizer on their website is hard-coded to only handle 8-person pods so they can't post drafts from the Team Draft Super League:

https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/865081035775590400

No worries though, some random fan was able to write his own custom visualizer in a few hours for free!

https://twitter.com/flooey/status/865306484527308802

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Eh hardcoding 8 to a draft seems very reasonable to me. Not seeing this coming till it's too late to do anything about is the more lol thing imo.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

In continued "lol WotC software" news, the draft visualizer on their website is hard-coded to only handle 8-person pods so they can't post drafts from the Team Draft Super League:

No worries though, some random fan was able to write his own custom visualizer in a few hours for free!

not disagreeing with your main point about wotc being incompetent, but flooey has been working on his draft viewer for at least a year

lol though at randy just going "cool, can you please add these custom features for free, thx"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Their web people probably could have adjusted the code without too much effort but wanted to avoid the task so they played up how much work it would be to change

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

little munchkin posted:

not disagreeing with your main point about wotc being incompetent, but flooey has been working on his draft viewer for at least a year

lol though at randy just going "cool, can you please add these custom features for free, thx"

Pro management skill right there

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

little munchkin posted:

ah okay, never heard of the guy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Eh hardcoding 8 to a draft seems very reasonable to me. Not seeing this coming till it's too late to do anything about is the more lol thing imo.

IDK the flow of "pick card, pass rest of pack to next, if last drafter, pass to first" would be one of the first things I think of instead of whatever they did to make it so that 7 must pass to 8, 8 must pass to 1.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's probably that a bunch of the code has hardcoded things like
code:
for player in range(8):
and while adding a few lines to accept a custom number of players would be trivial, tracking down every single instance of the number 8 would be at least annoying

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cheetah7071 posted:

code:
for player in range(8):
and while adding a few lines to accept a custom number of players would be trivial, tracking down every single instance of the number 8 would be at least annoying

I'm sure there's a pun about use of magic numbers in here somewhere but I'm like 2 post-work beers too deep to think of one

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

myDad posted:

Pro management skill right there

brought to you by the company whose hiring motto is "but dont you LOVE magic the gathering"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

if they didn't 100 percent chance at least once a month there would be a draft with 16 people in it

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm sure there's a pun about use of magic numbers in here somewhere but I'm like 2 post-work beers too deep to think of one

lol

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

please respect the fine Wisconsin tradition of casual alcoholism, you may not care but others do

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

I sympathize with WotC online team. If they created a quick and ugly draft viewer for six people then it might harm public perception of their visual design skills. If a quick implementation had bugs they might get a reputation for writing buggy code.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

just do a find/replace of "num_drafters" for "8", I'm sure absolutely nothing will go wrong

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

please respect the fine Wisconsin tradition of casual alcoholism, you may not care but others do

casual alcoholism is being drunk before work you loving scrub

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Elyv posted:

just do a find/replace of "num_drafters" for "8", I'm sure absolutely nothing will go wrong

The date of the draft is now May 1num_drafters, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
So in magic related business has anyone used Saffi Eriksdotter + Reveillark for a nasty combo? With a sacrifice outlet not only do you get the infinite sac effects like Saffi + Renegade Rallier, but you can also return 1 creature with power 2 or less from your graveyard with each iteration. That means you can bring back Fiend Hunter and sacrifice it with its trigger on the stack to permanently exile a creature each iteration, or perform the same maneuver with Tidehollow Sculler to exile cards from your opponent's hand, bring back & sacrifice Fulminator Mage to destroy all of your opponents lands, or even loop Murderous Redcap for infinite damage.

Reveillark is an incredible beater that supports the backup plan, and has a powerful ability sans combo. Is this too cute for Abzan Company?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think the problem with that idea is that if you want a combo with a 5 drop in your company shell, you could just use spike feeder/archangel of thune and have a 2 piece combo instead of a 3 piece combo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How is Bauble used? Is it just like Gitaxian probe so it's like you have a smaller deck?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

myDad posted:

So in magic related business has anyone used Saffi Eriksdotter + Reveillark for a nasty combo? With a sacrifice outlet not only do you get the infinite sac effects like Saffi + Renegade Rallier, but you can also return 1 creature with power 2 or less from your graveyard with each iteration. That means you can bring back Fiend Hunter and sacrifice it with its trigger on the stack to permanently exile a creature each iteration, or perform the same maneuver with Tidehollow Sculler to exile cards from your opponent's hand, bring back & sacrifice Fulminator Mage to destroy all of your opponents lands, or even loop Murderous Redcap for infinite damage.

Reveillark is an incredible beater that supports the backup plan, and has a powerful ability sans combo. Is this too cute for Abzan Company?

Abzan company can win with three cards and six mana, trying to win with four cards and 10+ mana is not a good plan.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

How is Bauble used? Is it just like Gitaxian probe so it's like you have a smaller deck?

Also it's an artifact if you care about delirium, and it lets you basically scry if you have a fetch.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yes except it's also a normally hard to get type for delirium and you can use it to scry with a fetch.

Edit: ^^^ What he said.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Elyv posted:

I think the problem with that idea is that if you want a combo with a 5 drop in your company shell, you could just use spike feeder/archangel of thune and have a 2 piece combo instead of a 3 piece combo.

This was the main comparison
Pros:
Archangel is insane with Finks, Scooze
Gains life & puts counters on everything
Doesn't require sac outlet or graveyard
Cons:
Spiker Feeder is a mediocre piece that can be Company'd

Reveillark however
Pros:
4 power in the air
Powerful recursion without combo
Incredible synergy with hate bears
Combo can lock opponent out of game
Cons:
Requires a sac outlet & graveyard

uninverted posted:

Abzan company can win with three cards and six mana, trying to win with four cards and 10+ mana is not a good plan.

As above, I was comparing its strengths to those of the Archangel of Thune + Spike Feeder combo. They both require 1 piece that cannot be hit by Company but operates strongly within the shell. They are not the best plan as you say, but I like the idea of a combo available even if 2+ pieces of the primary combo are extracted from the deck

I'll get a few reps in with Reveillark in the main vs with Archangel and report back in a few weeks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cheetah7071 posted:

code:
for player in range(8):

Yeah you change one thing and suddenly elf warrior creature tokens (and just those) become 8/8s with a cmc of 8.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yeah you change one thing and suddenly elf warrior creature tokens (and just those) become 8/8s with a cmc of 8.

its about time there was a momir shakeup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

In the draft viewer? Actually if you told me that MTGO's core rules engine also somehow shares code with the draft viewer, I might believe you.