Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You can get a firestick to run kodi. I have a friend who made a decent bit of money selling firesticks preloaded with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

magnificent7 posted:

i have to post this here because nobody else has heard of Mindhorn.

THIS looks exactly like him... would be an amazing tie-in somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Wd8rGWbA0

Mindhorn was decent. I forget the name of the lead actor but without the wig. he looks kind of like a fat Lee Van Cleef.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Julian Barratt from the Mighty Boosh. Also, I have a Roku TV which is awesome. It's not smart enough to be a problem with security and means I don't have to deal with another box or stick.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watched Mindhorn the other night and it's great.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
As someone who knows nothing about Anne of Green Gables, how's Anne with an E?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just started watching Preacher yesterday. I only had time to watch the first episode, but I'm liking it so far. Seems like they've done a pretty good job capturing the essence of the comic.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Just finished watching Stakeland II: The Stake Harder and it's basically fan fiction someone wrote after watching the first movie.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm halfway through Beltracchi on netflix and it's pretty good. It's a documentary about a french guy who sold millions of dollars worth of forged paintings. The guy himself irritates me though and I can't tell if it's his specific personality or the personality of all the rich art people, or french people as a whole.

And also I'm seeing ads for a reenactment documentary about Rome with Sean Bean. Good??

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

drunken officeparty posted:

And also I'm seeing ads for a reenactment documentary about Rome with Sean Bean. Good??

Schlocky but entertaining. The best Rome docu-dramas are all on YouTube - Rise and Fall of an Empire, Rome in the 1st century AD, etc.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

You can get a firestick to run kodi. I have a friend who made a decent bit of money selling firesticks preloaded with it.

I see them on Craigslist all the time for like 60 bux, don't know if that is a good deal or not for the guy looking, but seems like it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

wa27 posted:

Thanks for the recommendation - it's a pretty incredible story. My opinion of Gypsy was changing every minute while watching. I think my biggest unanswered question is the facebook post (which somehow still exists :wtf:). I don't think Gypsy commented on it in the doc, despite being pretty open about everything else she did. They briefly touched on her "multiple personalities" but basically said she was putting on an act for her boyfriend. Maybe that could explain it, but still, going on to Facebook and boasting about a murder (from the perspective of her boyfriend), while deluding yourself into thinking there won't be any consequences seems to indicate some pretty severe mental issues. I hope she can somehow live a well-adjusted life after she gets out.

edit: maybe I missed the obvious interpretation of the FB post - that Gypsy was trying to make it appear as though someone else killed the mom and kidnapped herself.

I thought she was basically framing Nick. In my mind, she was setting him up to take the fall, thinking she'd be free and clear because she made it seem like something he did unsolicited to try to be with her.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I thought she was basically framing Nick. In my mind, she was setting him up to take the fall, thinking she'd be free and clear because she made it seem like something he did unsolicited to try to be with her.

That would make sense, too. But then she ran off and wanted to live with him immediately after. I really would like to hear more from her about the whole situation. Maybe since the interview in the film was done before the verdict (I think), she was being more tight-lipped. This begs for a followup movie in ten years once she's been out for a while.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Kimmy Schmidt season 3 is out now.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Watched the first season of Santa Clarita Diet. I didn't think I'd like it much, but it's actually pretty funny. It's by the guy that did Better Off Ted so if you liked that you'll probably like this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

wa27 posted:

That would make sense, too. But then she ran off and wanted to live with him immediately after. I really would like to hear more from her about the whole situation. Maybe since the interview in the film was done before the verdict (I think), she was being more tight-lipped. This begs for a followup movie in ten years once she's been out for a while.

Honestly, I think it just comes down to the fact that she's dumb and there's probably no actual explanation

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Quiet Feet posted:

Just finished watching Stakeland II: The Stake Harder and it's basically fan fiction someone wrote after watching the first movie.

They made a sequel? What in the Hell?

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
It's not a show and needs only a minute ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPUIDHQv8rM

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

They made a sequel? What in the Hell?

Yeah, and the more time I get to digest it the less I like it. It commits the same sin that a lot of sequels to neatly wrapped up films do in that it fucks everything up in the first few minutes, which just feels lazy. Martin and Mister both appear in it again and what little character growth there is for either of them feels a little contrived and stale. There's a main villain in this who doesn't get built up enough to feel worth a drat. I don't expect fantastic writing out of horror movies but the original was a little more than that. It definitely wasn't a traditional slasher or action-oriented monster murderfest and leaned on its characters and setting to make things interesting. The setting is already established and this doesn't add much interesting to it.

It's not the worst movie in the world, it's just kinda there and feels exactly like it was made just because the first was popular enough to justify a sequel. :effort:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Five Came Back on Netflix is the companion docuseries to all the ww2 propaganda pieces they put up and it's pretty great. Added some William Wyler movies to my list for sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

Honestly, I think it just comes down to the fact that she's dumb and there's probably no actual explanation

I want to know if it's just a coincidence that 15 or so years ago, there was a case with extremely similar details (sheltered young girl falls in love with guy who believes he's a vampire and convinces him to come kill her parents).

Like I legitimately think she just read about that and decided to do it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think two sheltered/socially awkward/mentally unwell people + the internet + weird fetishistic fantasies + 'we could be together if my mom was out of the way' just was a dangerous recipe.

Did anybody else burst out going 'ugh, no, ew, gross' when the doc showed the dd/lg page when discussing their online fetish chats? (also, I just realized cine d has a documentaries thread!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richardson_family_murders

Back in 06 there was this hosed up murder case. there was no Munchausen by proxy going on, but a 12 year old girl and the 23 year old guy300-year-old werewolf she was in love with murdered her whole family because her parents forebid the relationship for super obvious reasons. And of course they had a lot of incriminating poo poo online.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In other true crime docs, Netflix has The Keepers now, I'm just one episode in but it's a pretty fuckin' crazy case about the murder of a nun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hamsystem posted:

Watched the first season of Santa Clarita Diet. I didn't think I'd like it much, but it's actually pretty funny. It's by the guy that did Better Off Ted so if you liked that you'll probably like this.

I liked the pilot of Better Off Ted and then almost immediately lost all interest when the actual show wasn't nearly as spiteful; do you reckon I'd like it?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Alterian posted:

Sort of a tangent, but related.

What's better? Chromecast or a Firestick? I am both an amazon prime member and I use google stuff pretty extensively.

I think Chromecast works better but I like Firestick's remote and interface.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Blame! Was not trash!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Firestick still suffers from Amazon's terrible UI, but if you do a lot of prime streaming, it's probably the way to go.

They cut off chromecast access so the only way to watch prime video with a chromecast is to cast the tab, which isn't always optimal performance-wise.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junkie Disease posted:

Blame! Was not trash!

It was Pretty Good.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I need something to watch before the new season of Twin Peaks tonight. I don't want FWWM or anything David Lynch, just something that matches up thematically. I have Prime, Netflix and Hulu.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I need something to watch before the new season of Twin Peaks tonight. I don't want FWWM or anything David Lynch, just something that matches up thematically. I have Prime, Netflix and Hulu.

Lake Mungo
The Gift (directed by Sam Raimi)
Northern Exposure
Legion (TV Show)
Barton Fink / A Simple Man / Inside Llewyn Davis / Fargo

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Black Mirror, Memento, Nightcrawler, Oldboy, The Invitation.

Southcliffe has a bit of a Lynch vibe in a way. Nothing surreal at all, but kind of like if Blue Velvet was shot like The Straight Story.

Oh, The Double is maybe your best bet for Lynchian. The final shot is really something.

E: never mind about The Double, I was thinking of Enemy

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 21, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Black Mirror, Memento, Nightcrawler, Oldboy, The Invitation.

Southcliffe has a bit of a Lynch vibe in a way. Nothing surreal at all, but kind of like if Blue Velvet was shot like The Straight Story.

Oh, The Double is maybe your best bet for Lynchian. The final shot is really something.

Nightcrawler is an excellent suggestion.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Nightcrawler is really good. And if you haven't seen Legion yet I highly recommend it, it's nothing like any of the other marvel shows but in a good way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you are watching legion on Hulu it expires this week so get on it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

If you are watching legion on Hulu it expires this week so get on it.

Thanks for this heads up

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Majority rules, so I'll be watching Nightcrawler. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sam Raimi's The Gift is a legit good movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sam Raimi's The Gift is a legit good movie.

When that was in theaters, my pitch to my friend to go see it -

"Well it's a Sam Raimi film, so you know it's going to be good."

"Eh, I dunno, never been a fan of his."

"It has Katie Holmes boobs in...."

Zoom, car warming up.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
The 3 season 12 Monkey's has started.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

precision posted:

In other true crime docs, Netflix has The Keepers now, I'm just one episode in but it's a pretty fuckin' crazy case about the murder of a nun.

I watched the first episode last night and I thought it was excellent. My girlfriend and I have been watching a lot of Forensic Files lately, and the show seems like a really well done, extended version of an episode of that minus the bad reenactments.

To the dude above looking for something thematically similar to Twin Peaks, maybe give this a shot? No supernatural, black lodge-type poo poo obviously, but I'm guessing things get weird based on the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Leftovers motherfucker