Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

a bone to pick posted:

Then those scenes with her daughter at the end just go onnn and onnnnnn, I get it already just end the movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Light Gun Man posted:

It might be worth it as long as all nerdos signed a release allowing themselves to be completely owned during conversations to whatever degree they deserve.

The best part will be the nervous dork that tries to dunk on Rich and flubs his joke then Mike returns fire and makes him cry because only he can pick on his little buddy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the daughter scenes went on way too long in the Arrival.

It certainly was discussion generating though. On the way home all the ladies who saw it sided totally with the main character and thought she did the right thing because parenthood is sacred and even a short life can be joyful and the husband is such an rear end in a top hat to leave her, but all the dudes said it was incredibly dishonest of her to withhold that information from her husband and all agreed they'd feel betrayed and used if they found out she knew all along due to *time powers*. It was interesting there was such a sharp gender divide in how the story was interpreted.

People were saying "So if my doctor told me I had some rare genetic defect and if I ever had a kid it would 100% be crippled or only live a few years or be severely handicapped, wouldn't I be pretty ethically obligated to tell my wife this before getting her to agree to have kids? Shouldn't she be fully aware to make an informed choice?" which was met with "no that's not the same, once you see the future you can't change it, she had all those joyous memories! It's different, it's emotions only a woman could understand!"

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah the daughter scenes went on way too long in the Arrival.

It certainly was discussion generating though. On the way home all the ladies who saw it sided totally with the main character and thought she did the right thing because parenthood is sacred and even a short life can be joyful and the husband is such an rear end in a top hat to leave her, but all the dudes said it was incredibly dishonest of her to withhold that information from her husband and all agreed they'd feel betrayed and used if they found out she knew all along due to *time powers*. It was interesting there was such a sharp gender divide in how the story was interpreted.

People were saying "So if my doctor told me I had some rare genetic defect and if I ever had a kid it would 100% be crippled or only live a few years or be severely handicapped, wouldn't I be pretty ethically obligated to tell my wife this before getting her to agree to have kids? Shouldn't she be fully aware to make an informed choice?" which was met with "no that's not the same, once you see the future you can't change it, she had all those joyous memories! It's different, it's emotions only a woman could understand!"

I agree with the men on this one.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It seems pretty selfish to decide to have a child you know will die young just for emotional reasons.

Like, okay, great, now she's a "more complete woman" or whatever but their child is dead.

E: If she said "Hey, I didn't want to change my future because it might destabilize the world" at least I'd respect that reasoning.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

"no that's not the same, once you see the future you can't change it, she had all those joyous memories! It's different, it's emotions only a woman could understand!"

Once you get to this argument you get into weird discussions on time travel and paradoxes and then people forget what the original argument was, at least that's what happens every time I get into this discussion with friends.

but seriously all the people that thought Arrival was good should read Childhood's End by Arthur c Clarke, there are so many similarities between the stories it would make your head spin.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

HoAssHo posted:

I really like it too but I don't think anyone saying otherwise is a dumbo because I agree that the love stuff was hokey. It kinda depends on what your threshold for sentimental stuff is. Arrival's another really well made sci-fi movie that pushed the emotional stuff a bit too much (though to a much lesser degree) and I think both these movies would be much stronger with less of that poo poo but most people don't want just straight up hard sci-fi anymore.

That part in Interstellar where they're on the planet for a couple hours and when they get back to the ship, 20 years or whatever has passed was loving devastating though oh my god.

People saying the love stuff was lame have probably never ever READ a sci fi short story, unlike me, cool dude sci fi reader

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Premium Gold Star Donor: $25,000
You get to take Rich home with you

"Welcome back Richie. The Wendy's ad is in the VCR in the bedroom where we left it."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I were her I'd specifically not have the child to see how my time powers worked. She just got into this insufferably zen/accepting space where we're all apparently helpless to change the future and just need to like, accept it and *experience* it, maaan. How do you know it's not a self-fulfilling prophecy at that point? What if she had told her husband and he was on-board anyways since the main thing seemed to be his sense of betrayal of her withholding such life-shattering information from him. What if he was no on board and they didn't have the doomed child, what would that have meant about her new time-reading language skills?

It was a cool movie but just the idea that learning a different language some how lets you see the future because the author read some pop-sci article about language shaping the way our brains perceive things is pretty silly. Like, what if some aliens tech us a new way of thinking about grammar that lets us fly??? What if like you can just think about syntax in a way that lets you breath under water! Reality is just our perceptions so our perceptions can shape reality and like time isn't linear dude.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

It was a cool movie but just the idea that learning a different language some how lets you see the future because the author read some pop-sci article about language shaping the way our brains perceive things is pretty silly. Like, what if some aliens tech us a new way of thinking about grammar that lets us fly??? What if like you can just think about syntax in a way that lets you breath under water! Reality is just our perceptions so our perceptions can shape reality and like time isn't linear dude.

Yea, this is also a great point. The idea that your thinking can be altered != developing special brain powers.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Yea, this is also a great point. The idea that your thinking can be altered != developing special brain powers.

actually thats how it works in the movie

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What the hell is this bullshit with Superman rotating the Earth backwards to turn back time? This is completely unscientific!

Although...

*a thirty pages long screed on Feynman diagrams as understood by the screenwriter of Primer*

Yeah, I guess it makes sense, really.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Like, what if some aliens tech us a new way of thinking about grammar that lets us fly???

this is essentially what Skyrim was about but replace aliens with dragons.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Snatch Duster posted:

Mike needs to create a Patreon tier for "party with RLM staff once per year" and charge like $1k per month.

I wonder how many lonely nerds will pay for it?

It will end with Goons and Channers stabbing each other like the crips and the bloods

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Berious posted:

i'm mad about the martian because the internet wouldn't shut up about it so i read it and it was poo poo. it was written by someone who obviously doesn't understand human emotions

it was written by a computer programmer. it's one of the most poorly written books i've ever read. i don't know how it ever got optioned for a movie let alone one with matt damon starring and ridley scott directing.

Irradiation posted:

Matt Damon justifying his actions to himself and then getting blown up mid sentence is a great scene.

that's one of my favorite scenes from any movie ever. the music is perfect and it's edited so loving well. i'm on the edge of my seat every time i watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3lcGnMhvsA

HoAssHo posted:

Reminder that they're making a Ready Player One movie

yeah with loving spielberg at the helm. ready player one is THE most poorly written book i';ve ever read.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 18, 2017

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Reminder that they're making a Ready Player One movie

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's gonna suck so bad

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus that's just reminded me I was tricked into reading ready player one by the internet too. That book made the martian look like the count of monte cristo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I liked the Martian movie because Matt Damon is good enough to sell that awful dialogue. Reading it and robbing yourself of that performance would definitely make that stuff seem way worse.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Baronjutter posted:

Eh, read the short story, the rationale is a lot more interesting than that, and it doesn't get all hocus pocus about it. It was really good.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

vermin posted:

"Welcome back Richie. The Wendy's ad is in the VCR in the bedroom where we left it."

Came here to post this.

naem
May 29, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

FUS RO DAH!!

**wind blows anne Hathaway and Jessica chastains hair around all dramatically and thunder rumbles and their pants fall off**

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The director's cut is very good, but it still doesn't solve the problem of Orlando Bloom being a charisma vacuum and the man he was based on being way cooler in real life than the film version. Also a lot of people seem to hate the film for daring to suggest that the Crusades might have been a bit of an excessive response to the Muslim Conquests of the previous centuries. It has a very modern approach to religion rather than any sense of faith grounded in the time period. But then again, this is also a film where God sends an angel down to Earth in the form of the Knight Hospitaller played by David Thewlis to try and get everyone to calm the gently caress down and stop butchering each other.

Being kind of a history buff and really into medieval history around the time that movie came out made me really hype for it. Then the actual movie came out and it was pretty disappointing really. Great costumes all around though, and a big relief that they actually managed to do enough research to find out these two basic things: 1) No one should be wearing plate armor at this time 2) The Muslims also wore armor. They even had a shot where chainmail armor actually worked, though they also had Orlando Bloom cutting down like 10 heavily armored (curiously dismounted) Muslim cavalrymen in like 20 seconds. I also hope that a medieval war movie for once will actually manage to portray mounted combat that does not consist of all the important characters getting unhorsed immediately and then doing all the fighting on foot.

The film's approach to religion is very anachronistic really, essentially all the good characters are kind of irreligious (except David Thewlis), and for some weird reason both Guy de Lusignan and Reynald de Chatillon are portrayed as Templars. Reynald de Chatillon is probably portrayed closest to his historical self in the movie, though he doesn't really get a chance to show that he was quite ingenious when it came to his capacity for horrific and politically inconvenient (for the Crusader Kingdoms) violence.

Having thought about this I really think a kind of drama series like the Borgias or whatever (Game of Thrones if you will) about the era roughly from Saladin's rise to power in Egypt and Syria and the Third Crusade would be pretty good. There's a lot of interesting situation and characters to fit into it all really, alot of it pretty well documented as well. People like Agnes de Courtenay and Patriarch Heraclius are essentially made for television, and the last decades of the Kingdom of Jerusalem is like an infuriating soap opera when it comes to all the petty squabbles and intrigue against the backdrop of destruction should the surrounding Muslim powers actually unite under the banner of Jihad. There's even the potential for lots of plot threads and characters on the Muslim side, as the documentation there is also pretty good, most of Saladin's brothers were pretty colorful, in Egypt there was the bloody fight against the remants of the deposed Shiite Fatimid Caliphate (especially loyal army units, such as the Sudanese and Armenian regiments that rose up and were ultimately purged and disbanded), and in Syria you have Saladin's rivalry with his former master Nur al-Din Zengi (descendant of the first Muslim ruler to successfully use Jihad to unite a number of Muslim states against the Crusaders, though he was content to just sit back and build mosques and drink himself into stupors once he conquered Edessa), and then there's the Assassins and their whole thing of being violently opposed to Sunni rulers (who were kind of quasi-allies of the Templars at times).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the Arrival short story, the daughter dies in an easily preventable rock climbing accident that Louise lets her go on anyway. That ends the marriage.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

In the Arrival short story, the daughter dies in an easily preventable rock climbing accident that Louise lets her go on anyway. That ends the marriage.

That's way dumber, because surely you would just tell the daughter to not go. At least the illness can't be stopped.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WampaLord posted:

That's way dumber, because surely you would just tell the daughter to not go. At least the illness can't be stopped.

That's not how language works. It's like unnecessary leaving a preposition at the end of a sentence in English. You just don't do this, even if it means your daughter dies.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

why didn't Billy Pilgrim prevent his abduction?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Paladinus posted:

It's like unnecessary leaving a preposition at the end of a sentence in English.

That's Latin, not English

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

a bone to pick posted:

Once you get to this argument you get into weird discussions on time travel and paradoxes and then people forget what the original argument was, at least that's what happens every time I get into this discussion with friends.

but seriously all the people that thought Arrival was good should read Childhood's End by Arthur c Clarke, there are so many similarities between the stories it would make your head spin.

Ehh I don't know if they are that similar apart from the alien arrival, there is no work needed to figure out how to communicate and it's not a perception of time thing either.. But both are excellent hard sci fi type stories. Just don't watch the terrible Syfy adaptation of childhood's end, pewwwww (although Charles Dance was great)

E: also Wonder Woman is getting v positive reviews from twitter movie folks I follow perhaps DC managed to make a good one??

priznat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 19, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

priznat posted:

E: also Wonder Woman is getting v positive reviews from twitter movie folks I follow perhaps DC managed to make a good one??

loving lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tbh I'd just be staring at Gadot's thighs the entire time :stare:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

priznat posted:

Out of curiosity, the twitter folks you follow, what was their stance of GB2016 before it came out?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

priznat posted:

I want to believe....

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Out of curiosity, the twitter folks you follow, what was their stance of GB2016 before it came out?

I don't recall one way or another but it was not gushingly positive anyway.

Turns out it wasn't someone I follow directly, they got retweeted by film school rejects:

https://twitter.com/AlishaGrauso/status/865387547404288000

Anyway it could be not horrible? Probably is, I thought there were more mentions but that is the only one on my TL so far, so I got ahead of myself. I don't really care either way and probably won't see it (pre netflix) but was surprised by a positive reaction. I guess I shouldn't really be, people will gush about any old bullshit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

priznat posted:

I don't recall one way or another but it was not gushingly positive anyway.

Turns out it wasn't someone I follow directly, they got retweeted by film school rejects:

https://twitter.com/AlishaGrauso/status/865387547404288000

Anyway it could be not horrible? Probably is, I thought there were more mentions but that is the only one on my TL so far, so I got ahead of myself. I don't really care either way and probably won't see it (pre netflix) but was surprised by a positive reaction. I guess I shouldn't really be, people will gush about any old bullshit.

Well what is more likely, that somehow DC didn't gently caress up or that DC did gently caress up just like they always have but instead there are some 'privileged' twitter people getting paid showings and loot bags or whatever the gently caress the exchange is?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Wonder Woman is going to be very bad but still better than the other DC movies, which is the lowest conceivable hurdle.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
'on the right track' is hardly a glowing endorsement

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Alisha Grauso poo poo in her merch bag and the executives at WB gave her a replacement merch bag. 4/4 stars.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Well what is more likely, that somehow DC didn't gently caress up or that DC did gently caress up just like they always have but instead there are some 'privileged' twitter people getting paid showings and loot bags or whatever the gently caress the exchange is?

~sad trombone~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Man, am I going to have to trade the enjoyment of righteously making GBS threads on the DCCU for the decidedly lesser enjoyment of experiencing a good movie?

• Locked thread