Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Sleekly posted:

I got my Gloomhaven confirmation email this morning!
Feels good man.

$10 shipping that gigantic box all the way down here to convict land still has me smh in a 'can't quite believe this' way.

Yeah, he must be saving a ton of production costs due to higher volume, but I still can't see how he can afford such cheap shipping (free in the US).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah, he must be saving a ton of production costs due to higher volume, but I still can't see how he can afford such cheap shipping (free in the US).

If this wasn't his second printing, I would have thought he had screwed up pricing, and that this KS was going to bankrupt him. But he says he'll make more on KS purchases than he will at retail - even at a new MSRP of $140. Crazy.

The other game that has blown me away on the "components/$" front is Mechs vs. Minions (which we just opened today, and seems solid enough). I had obviously heard that the components were great (that's the first thing everyone says about it) but I was still super impressed. A tremendous amount of love went into everything - metal coins, pre-painted characters, little minion figures out the wazoo, sealed envelopes, a huge boss figure, lots of other little widgets, and completely above-and-beyond on the storage trays and presentation.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 19, 2017

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Yeah MvM is the single most absurd component quality and volume to price ratio I've ever seen in my life.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

dropkickpikachu posted:

Yeah MvM is the single most absurd component quality and volume to price ratio I've ever seen in my life.

Is it worth playing to the finish, though? I played through mission....3? or 4? and I've got no real desire to play again. Does the gameplay expand meaningfully more after that?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sleekly posted:

I got my Gloomhaven confirmation email this morning!
Feels good man.

$10 shipping that gigantic box all the way down here to convict land still has me smh in a 'can't quite believe this' way.

Anyone know the deadline for the pledge manager?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

Anyone know the deadline for the pledge manager?

If it says it there I missed it. Even the FAQ is silent.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bombadilillo posted:

I did a thing fellow gamer goons.

I've always wanted a geek chic style table and was looking real hard at the $800 dollar kickstarter game table recently. I've dabbled in woodworking but wasn't confident to make an table I want my friends around. Well I just did the thing. Buying proper matting was the most expensive bit, got 3mm neoprene in burgundy. Made a much cheaper green felt insert if the color clashes with a game for some reason. The lip is 22" tall made for you to sit on a couch and look down into it. (I have a large L couch and most games end up being on that around a dumb too low too small coffee table.) All told it was about $180 for supplies with the lions share being the neoprene matting. It aint perfect, but its good enough where I think the imperfections will bother me more then anyone else.

note, that's 3'x5' playing surface, dark souls has a HUGE footprint.

Make me one please.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I still don't have my dark souls box sadly, guess that review I promised won't be coming for a while. And this weekend is game weekend too, sad!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

please knock Mom! posted:

I still don't have my dark souls box sadly, guess that review I promised won't be coming for a while. And this weekend is game weekend too, sad!

A few games in. 2 player very very good. Other numbers are questionable. More games needed to be sure.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

I did a thing fellow gamer goons.

I've always wanted a geek chic style table and was looking real hard at the $800 dollar kickstarter game table recently. I've dabbled in woodworking but wasn't confident to make an table I want my friends around. Well I just did the thing. Buying proper matting was the most expensive bit, got 3mm neoprene in burgundy. Made a much cheaper green felt insert if the color clashes with a game for some reason. The lip is 22" tall made for you to sit on a couch and look down into it. (I have a large L couch and most games end up being on that around a dumb too low too small coffee table.) All told it was about $180 for supplies with the lions share being the neoprene matting. It aint perfect, but its good enough where I think the imperfections will bother me more then anyone else.

note, that's 3'x5' playing surface, dark souls has a HUGE footprint.

The hostess for our game nights has been wanting one and I keep telling her she could probably get one made for cheap. I'm not a carpenter but I've thought about making one so we don't have to sit at weird amalgam tables.

Then I remember I don't have any woodworking tools. :v:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just punched The Colonists :aaa:

Can't even fit back in box with my current storage solution.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

djfooboo posted:

Just punched The Colonists :aaa:

Can't even fit back in box with my current storage solution.

You are going to get used to upgrading your storage.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
And I just punched Odin !

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

And I just punched OCS Burma (140 out of 840 counters punched and clipped).

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Last night I was thinking about that Star Wars COIN game idea that's been talked about in this thread because I've been playing games from that series lately and I just couldn't shake the idea that there are some issues with it. So, I got to thinking and rather than solve anything I ended up with a terrible idea that I am very ashamed of. Here it is. Keep in mind I haven't slept and have spent about four hours on this so it might be incoherent.

Warhammer 40K COIN game – the worst idea. This is bad.

Okay, but if I had to do it this here's some thoughts I had.
Factions: Imperium, Chaos, Eldar, Orks.

The map: LoC: In this case these are not economic lines, instead they are warp lines used by Space Marines, Chaos, and Eldar. March commands cannot go along these.

Planets are broken into 2-4 regions each and are connected via the Warp lines. If the Imperium thinks it's going to lose a planet then it needs to start considering how they want to handle this because re-establishing Imperium presence is very difficult once the tide has turned against them. March actions can take you from one region to another, but not off-planet. There are also isolated 0 pop regions connected only via the Warp that are moon bases or space stations, these are the nests for insurgent rallying points and hideouts.

Imperium: win by Control* + Bases. Large number of weak armies that are the Imperial Guard. Small number of Space Marine cubes that are much stronger, but difficult to replace (similar to legions in FS).

(Train – March – Assault – Patrol. Embark – Deathwatch – Cleanse) ~47 cubes (7 space marines/40 imperial guard) + bases

Train allows the creation of Guard armies and Imperium bases as well as civic actions that create support or remove opposition. March moves armies across a planet but not space. Patrol is a very important operation, it works only for Space Marine pieces, but lets them move through the warp or across planet and then either sweep or assault insurgent pieces. That's a lot for one action, but it does not utilize any Guard armies that are present and the limited number of Space Marines means this is dangerous if unsupported by Guard. Embark moves Guard armies via the Warp in small amounts, this is the only way to move them through the warp. Embark may be combined with Rally, March, or Patrol. Deathwatch functions with Space Marine pieces and is similar to Assassinate from CL in that it lets you target and remove specific pieces, it may be used in an Assault, March, or Patrol. Last special ability is 'Cleanse', it's like Neutralize in ColTwi, you can permanently reduce the population of an area or flip insurgent pieces at the cost of removing Support (however, does not create Opposition if at Neutral). Population can only be reduced a limited amount though (also similar to ColTwi). Possible Inquisitor as a leader piece, maybe via event.

The Imperium have a large number of bases, but bases cost resources in between rounds rather than create (this is a tax on overusing Cleanse or stacking bases rather than defending planets) and Guard armies on planets without a base will be reduced in half in between rounds.

*Support only has three levels, similar to ColTwi, Oppostion-Neutral-Support. Support enables Train action for the Imperium but does not contribute to their victory condition. Support is intended to acts as a buffer to Chaos (see below) and is necessary to create the Guard armies that are required for Control.

Chaos: win by Opposition + bases. Medium sized insurgent faction, has your basic insurgent pieces that represent cultists and daemons but has some cubes too. The cubes represent hard hitting Chaos Space Marines and are available in limited amounts to give a mailed fist where necessary. They're not as good as the Space Marine cubes but they're easier to replace (somehow? Haven't thought of it yet)

(Rally – Piracy – Terror – Assault. Subvert – ??? - Ambush) ~25 insurgents (5 cubes /20 insurgents) + bases

Rallies very quickly at Opposition spaces with bases, but can Rally anywhere that is Neutral or population 0 as well (exactly the same as M26 Rally). Piracy is an op that pulls double duty and that allows them to move through the Warp lines and/or steal resources by flipping insurgents or using cubes. Subvert and Ambush work similar to other COIN games except that Ambush may also be used with Cubes

Eldar: win by defeating Chaos. If [Chaos bases < Eldar 'bases' available] the Eldar win. Smallest of the factions, but has ability to boss around Orks and Imperium with an Advise special ability. Advise can also flip over other insurgent pieces. Their regular ops are fairly lackluster due to their limited number of pieces, but the special abilities are very strong encouraging Eldar to wait and bide their time to act. Eldar don't use normal bases and instead have square pieces to represent Eldar ships. These do not count toward the normal base/region limit and can be moved via Webway, which is their movement op that allows Eldar pieces to move through the Warp. Although small they can quickly Rally new forces to the map because losses represent their dispersal more than their destruction. However, losing a base is a major concern for Eldar because their victory condition tracks the number of off-map bases that are available, not on map or lost. Eldar Ambush functions similar to the Vietcong in FitL and can target adjacent areas off of the warp lines, giving them deceptive reach. Eldar Terror moves toward neutral.

(Rally – Webway – Terror -Assault. Advise – ??? - Ambush) ~15 insurgents + bases

Ork: win by total amount of No Control on map and Ork bases > N. Similar to Warlords in ADP in this regard. Largest of the insurgent factions, unconcerned with resources. Very different from other insurgent factions. Orks have a hidden side to represent dispersed Ork forces, these forces cannot be used for Ops until flipped over to their 'active side', but they do count for breaking Control. Once 'active' Orks function as normal pieces (thus they are the opposite of your traditional COIN insurgent faction). Orks flip over when attacked or other player actions but also when they use their WAAAGGGHHH!!! op/SA. Think of the SA version as being similar to ambush for insurgent factions, it affects fewer regions than their normal operation version, which can affect any number of regions.

(Rally – March - WAAAGGGHHH!!! -Assault. ? - ? - WAAAGGGHHH!!!) ~40 insurgents + bases

Rallies anywhere without Control (maximum of X regions due to their unlimited resources), but places random number of pieces. A Rally with active Ork pieces can place an Ork base – which will enhance future Rally actions in addition to pushing up the Ork victory condition. Has difficulty achieving a critical mass of Orks in a big doom-stack, but when they do they're a force to reckon with.

Now I need to go sleep.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 19, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My Little Pony COIN when.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Is it worth playing to the finish, though? I played through mission....3? or 4? and I've got no real desire to play again. Does the gameplay expand meaningfully more after that?

My group has 2 or 3 missions remaining in campaign and have enjoyed it the whole time. None of the missions have felt too easy or too difficult delivering a consistent tension so that we're relieved and excited when we do win.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is anyone at Geekway to the West in St. Louis this weekend? I went back a few pages but didn't see anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Red Dawn coin, Russians are the villains again.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Wait, is it still possible to order Gloomhaven?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tai posted:

And I just punched Odin !

I hope you punched him in his one good eye.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Wait, is it still possible to order Gloomhaven?

Gloomhaven kickstarter page posted:

Oh my word, thank you for making this project so awesome!

Please take note: There are no late pledges.

If you missed the Kickstarter, don't worry! The game will be widely available in retail this August/September, so you can pick it up there!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

I saw that, but I'm also seeing people talking about buying Gloomhaven as if they're doing it now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

I saw that, but I'm also seeing people talking about buying Gloomhaven as if they're doing it now.

The pledge manager emails came out yesterday and you can add on solo missions and stuff.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah if you already have the game, theres some upgrades and story missions you can buy to update your copy. You gotta make your choices now so people asking questions about whats good.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SlyFrog posted:

If you know someone who kickstarted it, they can add a copy to their pledge and sell it to you.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ithle01 posted:

Last night I was thinking about that Star Wars COIN game idea that's been talked about in this thread because I've been playing games from that series lately and I just couldn't shake the idea that there are some issues with it. So, I got to thinking and rather than solve anything I ended up with a terrible idea that I am very ashamed of. Here it is. Keep in mind I haven't slept and have spent about four hours on this so it might be incoherent.

It's a bit weird because 40K is usualy like army against army, not insurgent Guerillas. The Eldar having Rally instead of Train or something is weird - are they rallying humans to join them? The Orks and Chaos make some amount of sense as insurgents, although having underground ork guerillas is a bit unlike them.

Anyway, keep going! Now write up the technical procedures and make like 50 drat event cards with 2 events each (i.e. the hard work part).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chaos and Genestealers are probably the only real insurgent factions, but Chaos as an insurgent is a neat idea

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Hey guys, you know what else resembles an insurgency? Zombies! And what if we made the second insurgent faction Cthulhu cultists!? For the COIN factions, I was thinking one could be a European empire protecting its trading network, and the other is, uh, anime mechs?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Hey guys, you know what else resembles an insurgency? Zombies! And what if we made the second insurgent faction Cthulhu cultists!? For the COIN factions, I was thinking one could be a European empire protecting its trading network, and the other is, uh, anime mechs?

I countered your mom's insurgency last night.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CaptainRightful posted:

*sweating nerd in goggles and top hat with cogs on* WHEN IS THE KICKSTARTER

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

homullus posted:

I countered your mom's insurgency last night.

How many OPs did you get out of it

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

CaptainRightful posted:

How does Firefly fit into this? Also, no sale unless it has a solo mode.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
COIN, but with memes

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
COIN game, but with COIN games.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
So I got my copy of Into The Echoside in the mail today. The components are okay, I would compare it to Legendary card stock and would recommend getting card sleeves since they seem like they would get worn out pretty easy with use. The art works is surprisingly good, often times hilarious (Violent J looking surprised while opening a jug of Faygo, . It seems like pretty solid deckbuilding game, I would compare the gameplay to the only Legendary game I've played which is Aliens: you have three "classes" of cards (called Crews). you have a face-up gallery to draft from, and the "Sergeants" are now "Juggalos". The objective is definitely Dominion-based, the card you recruit have a GP (Gathering Points) value, and whoever has the largest Juggalo Gathering in their deck wins. Also, at the end of all the game tie contingencies, whoever yells "Gimmie my money, muddafocko!!" first wins.

I'm excited to try this game out, hopefully I can get a game in tonight.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

Does it have minis of scantily clad anime ladies? Asking for a friend.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

Finally, a Good Zombie Game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ithle01 posted:

The map: LoC: In this case these are not economic lines, instead they are warp lines used by Space Marines, Chaos, and Eldar. March commands cannot go along these.

Planets are broken into 2-4 regions each and are connected via the Warp lines. If the Imperium thinks it's going to lose a planet then it needs to start considering how they want to handle this because re-establishing Imperium presence is very difficult once the tide has turned against them. March actions can take you from one region to another, but not off-planet. There are also isolated 0 pop regions connected only via the Warp that are moon bases or space stations, these are the nests for insurgent rallying points and hideouts.

Imperium: win by Control* + Bases. Large number of weak armies that are the Imperial Guard. Small number of Space Marine cubes that are much stronger, but difficult to replace (similar to legions in FS).

(Train – March – Assault – Patrol. Embark – Deathwatch – Cleanse) ~47 cubes (7 space marines/40 imperial guard) + bases

Train allows the creation of Guard armies and Imperium bases as well as civic actions that create support or remove opposition. March moves armies across a planet but not space. Patrol is a very important operation, it works only for Space Marine pieces, but lets them move through the warp or across planet and then either sweep or assault insurgent pieces. That's a lot for one action, but it does not utilize any Guard armies that are present and the limited number of Space Marines means this is dangerous if unsupported by Guard. Embark moves Guard armies via the Warp in small amounts, this is the only way to move them through the warp. Embark may be combined with Rally, March, or Patrol. Deathwatch functions with Space Marine pieces and is similar to Assassinate from CL in that it lets you target and remove specific pieces, it may be used in an Assault, March, or Patrol. Last special ability is 'Cleanse', it's like Neutralize in ColTwi, you can permanently reduce the population of an area or flip insurgent pieces at the cost of removing Support (however, does not create Opposition if at Neutral). Population can only be reduced a limited amount though (also similar to ColTwi). Possible Inquisitor as a leader piece, maybe via event.

The Imperium have a large number of bases, but bases cost resources in between rounds rather than create (this is a tax on overusing Cleanse or stacking bases rather than defending planets) and Guard armies on planets without a base will be reduced in half in between rounds.

*Support only has three levels, similar to ColTwi, Oppostion-Neutral-Support. Support enables Train action for the Imperium but does not contribute to their victory condition. Support is intended to acts as a buffer to Chaos (see below) and is necessary to create the Guard armies that are required for Control.

Chaos: win by Opposition + bases. Medium sized insurgent faction, has your basic insurgent pieces that represent cultists and daemons but has some cubes too. The cubes represent hard hitting Chaos Space Marines and are available in limited amounts to give a mailed fist where necessary. They're not as good as the Space Marine cubes but they're easier to replace (somehow? Haven't thought of it yet)

(Rally – Piracy – Terror – Assault. Subvert – ??? - Ambush) ~25 insurgents (5 cubes /20 insurgents) + bases

Rallies very quickly at Opposition spaces with bases, but can Rally anywhere that is Neutral or population 0 as well (exactly the same as M26 Rally). Piracy is an op that pulls double duty and that allows them to move through the Warp lines and/or steal resources by flipping insurgents or using cubes. Subvert and Ambush work similar to other COIN games except that Ambush may also be used with Cubes

Eldar: win by defeating Chaos. If [Chaos bases < Eldar 'bases' available] the Eldar win. Smallest of the factions, but has ability to boss around Orks and Imperium with an Advise special ability. Advise can also flip over other insurgent pieces. Their regular ops are fairly lackluster due to their limited number of pieces, but the special abilities are very strong encouraging Eldar to wait and bide their time to act. Eldar don't use normal bases and instead have square pieces to represent Eldar ships. These do not count toward the normal base/region limit and can be moved via Webway, which is their movement op that allows Eldar pieces to move through the Warp. Although small they can quickly Rally new forces to the map because losses represent their dispersal more than their destruction. However, losing a base is a major concern for Eldar because their victory condition tracks the number of off-map bases that are available, not on map or lost. Eldar Ambush functions similar to the Vietcong in FitL and can target adjacent areas off of the warp lines, giving them deceptive reach. Eldar Terror moves toward neutral.

(Rally – Webway – Terror -Assault. Advise – ??? - Ambush) ~15 insurgents + bases

Ork: win by total amount of No Control on map and Ork bases > N. Similar to Warlords in ADP in this regard. Largest of the insurgent factions, unconcerned with resources. Very different from other insurgent factions. Orks have a hidden side to represent dispersed Ork forces, these forces cannot be used for Ops until flipped over to their 'active side', but they do count for breaking Control. Once 'active' Orks function as normal pieces (thus they are the opposite of your traditional COIN insurgent faction). Orks flip over when attacked or other player actions but also when they use their WAAAGGGHHH!!! op/SA. Think of the SA version as being similar to ambush for insurgent factions, it affects fewer regions than their normal operation version, which can affect any number of regions.

(Rally – March - WAAAGGGHHH!!! -Assault. ? - ? - WAAAGGGHHH!!!) ~40 insurgents + bases

Rallies anywhere without Control (maximum of X regions due to their unlimited resources), but places random number of pieces. A Rally with active Ork pieces can place an Ork base – which will enhance future Rally actions in addition to pushing up the Ork victory condition. Has difficulty achieving a critical mass of Orks in a big doom-stack, but when they do they're a force to reckon with.

Now I need to go sleep.

Why not Inquisition, Chaos, Rogue Traders and Orkz? (or possibly two different Chaos factions instead of Orkz and Chaos?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:lol: for real we would have better games for all parties if "good war games" wasn't just relegated to grognards and thematic games werent just relegated to lol randumb pop culture nerds.

I imagine how stoked I'd be if twilight struggle was remade into Cthulhu zombies instead of whatever Munchkin trash those people play.