Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
"Foreign Devils, eager to poison their own customers to satisfy their foreign devilish impulses."
Within living memory the default legit view of anyone with an accent, today a running gag about how dumb it is.

Things have changed a lot.

I didn't get it through Ali, but yesterday I got a bunch of Chinese glass tubing and color rod. (glassblower)
It's less consistent than American glass, and apparently the black glass is an utter bitch to work with, but you get a lot of nice colors when you fume the clear with silver.

Unfortunantly, all my tube is the wrong size, because the size chart I printed out and based my order on is all wrong. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Horse Clocks posted:

I feel there's a lot of 'mafia/counterfeit are going to con me' sentiment in this thread.

Isn't 90% of alibabas merchant income generally dropshipping/whitelabel business? Why the animosity?

Sure, it's cheap, but is it "mix arsenic into the plastic" cheap?

Sure, there's some 'this smells like death reanimated' stench from some boxes, but given most of the cheap poo poo on amazon prime is the same garbage, is there much difference between that and alibaba? Other than the 200% markup?

It's probably usually fine, but there's no accountability and do you really want to take the chance? It's less of a "let's mix arsenic into the plastic" and more of a "we've got some material that may or may not be suited for this purpose laying around, maybe that will let us make a few more units".

Personally, I'm not going to buy anything that I would put in my mouth or would be a fire hazard if defective, and assume that anything that can be is loaded with malware.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

All the poo poo you buy already comes from China hth

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Moto42 posted:

"Foreign Devils, eager to poison their own customers to satisfy their foreign devilish impulses."
Within living memory the default legit view of anyone with an accent, today a running gag about how dumb it is.

Things have changed a lot.

I didn't get it through Ali, but yesterday I got a bunch of Chinese glass tubing and color rod. (glassblower)
It's less consistent than American glass, and apparently the black glass is an utter bitch to work with, but you get a lot of nice colors when you fume the clear with silver.

Unfortunantly, all my tube is the wrong size, because the size chart I printed out and based my order on is all wrong. :negative:

See, this is an example of something I wouldn't buy. Aren't you concerned about toxic dyes (or whatever the equivalent glass word is)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Blue Train posted:

that's the mentality I use for it lmao

I've gotten a couple of things that were garbage (example: a ring shaped like a rat but the ones I got were misshapen and skewed) but most things have been fine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's a country where standards are so low and corruption is so rife that you have fake eggs, fake baby powder, fake cooking oil all leading to mass poisoning/deaths. Sure most of the time things might be fine but who knows when your junk is made with cheap harmless junk or cheaper harmful crap.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

This dress is nice and comfortable with goods fabric and solid construction and it was less than $15. I may have posted about this one before. A similar dress with lower quality fabric cost $30 at Target.

:) Thanks, Aliexpress, for connecting me with a reliable overseas retailer. (I recommend the seller for work appropriate outfits; they're called Nice Forever.)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I hope your dress stays nice forever :3:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Those dresses are cute, someone else had posted one of the same style except it was black I think

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I bought a jacket, couple shirts, a pair of pants, a Nike windbreaker, and a sweater from the sister site of Aliexpress called Taobao and the quality of all this stuff is pretty good. The sweater and the bomber jacket is probably my favorite costing $15 and $30 respectively. The windbreaker isn't that great because it's really thin but I paid $15 for it so whatever. Shipping was quick but was pretty expensive. Took about a week to get to southern California after my shipping agent received all the orders.

http://imgur.com/a/s5izw

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

Cumslut1895 posted:

See, [glass rod and tubing] is an example of something I wouldn't buy. Aren't you concerned about toxic dyes (or whatever the equivalent glass word is)

With silicate glass the coloring agents tend to be metallic ions and can be pretty nasty customers; such as Cadmium, chromium, uranium, arsenic. These are the things I know and want in the glass already.
In fact, if you've eaten or drunk from 'lead crystal' that's about 20%~80% lead by weight.

Don't worry though, because (normally) silicate glasses are very good at containing whatever is mixed into them. So in ordinary use a very rare atom or two of these impurities may escape into your drink/weed/potato salad, but you won't find it without intense chemical scrutiny.

So, unless you are attacking the glass with certain acids, or melting the glass over a torch and breathing the resultant fumes, it's nothing to worry about.

The problems with china glass are more that they are less consistent from batch to batch, and are less worried about having exactly the same Coefficient Of Expansion as advertised.

The COE is what determines if two glasses are compatible with one another. If they aren't close enough, then two glasses melted and adhered to one another will expand/contract at different rates and basicly try to tear each other apart. China black is especialy notorious for this.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Blue Train posted:

yeah but real companies have to put their brands and reputations behind their imports. it's not a big deal if Lucky China Product #1 Seller 5 Stars goes under

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah but real companies have to put their brands and reputations behind their imports. it's not a big deal if Lucky China Product #1 Seller 5 Stars goes under

And if some other company does the imports, they take the risk. If their shoddy products kill your baby, there is someone domestic that you can sue. Your baby is still dead tho.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I may have gone a bit overboard with those decorative tapes

E:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 19, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hug in a Can posted:

This dress is nice and comfortable with goods fabric and solid construction and it was less than $15. I may have posted about this one before. A similar dress with lower quality fabric cost $30 at Target.

:) Thanks, Aliexpress, for connecting me with a reliable overseas retailer. (I recommend the seller for work appropriate outfits; they're called Nice Forever.)

A bit over-dressed for a toilet attendant?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I may have gone a bit overboard with those decorative tapes

E:

It's TAPE!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

it's washi tape. you fool.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And all that :ninja:It's TAPE:kakashi: was only about 10$

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Besides lots of carbon fiber bike parts, I also managed to order the literal best underwear I've ever worn.

I always read on triathlon forums about how sketchy the carbon fiber bike parts might be, but I also spoke with an industry rep who said that the Chinese companies are already making the molds/parts for the "legit" US companies. Therefore, the parts are from the same molds usually. He also mentioned that it's not really in any company's favor to make critical bike parts that fail when being ridden.

The underwear are made from some kind of spandex material, and they also have a nondescript herbal scent.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I somehow ended up finding this:

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I've got my phone display turned way low (good for text, bad for pics) and it seriously took me about four seconds to parse that. Thought it was a plush intestine toy for at least two seconds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I've got my phone display turned way low (good for text, bad for pics) and it seriously took me about four seconds to parse that. Thought it was a plush intestine toy for at least two seconds.

That would be a good outfit for a cleaning lady.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That would make a good base for some body horror cosplay

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

"you see Timmy, sometimes a 👗 and a bathrobe love each other very much..."

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

WrenP-Complete posted:

Looks like it weighs a ton. You would need legs of a power lifter to walk in that thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You don't walk in it, you curl up into a ball on the floor and pretend to be Mother Brain.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I was thinking more along the lines of Miss Ground Beef at a midwest state fair

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

She is going to be made into delicious chicken nuggets

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

Link, please? I must know more about this masterpiece.

My wife is going to hate me...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Welp all the ladies in my family grabbed allof my Washi tapes, I'll have to order more.
Seriously this stuff is in high demand.:aaa:

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Duh Ugh posted:

Here it is! 40% off! Buy one in every color! (They sell them in every color!) Get the sexy robe version! Heck, get the version for children! Live your life only in this dress from now on!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

gently caress THE COMPETITION

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Welp all the ladies in my family grabbed allof my Washi tapes, I'll have to order more.
Seriously this stuff is in high demand.:aaa:

Time to start a business!

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

WrenP-Complete posted:

Oh my loving god. I could spatter dark red paint all over that and have a beautiful Halloween wedding

(It looks more like a brain than intestines to me)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Duh Ugh posted:

I got you, fam: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rea...2471692099.html
17 colors!

Edit: Oh, thanks HiaC, that's what I get for not updating before responding!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was just at the pub with my parents for lunch. For a laugh I brought one of the 15 lovely Lord of the Rings, Rings I had just got.
An extremely drunk lady on the table next to us overheard me and wanted to look at it. Then she wanted to buy it.
At first I didn't wan't to do it but she offered 200 Norwegian Kroner (24USD) so I gave in. I payed less than 10 bucks for the lot and no postal!

So now I'm one of those scumbags making money off Ali.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I wanna get one of these jackets made of retroreflective fabric. Too bad I haven't found one with sleeves long enough for my troglodyte frame.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3M-...2770962725.html

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

WrenP-Complete posted:

The white version actually looks kinda neat. Every other version, though: :staredog:

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

Rad-daddio posted:

Besides lots of carbon fiber bike parts, I also managed to order the literal best underwear I've ever worn.

I always read on triathlon forums about how sketchy the carbon fiber bike parts might be, but I also spoke with an industry rep who said that the Chinese companies are already making the molds/parts for the "legit" US companies. Therefore, the parts are from the same molds usually. He also mentioned that it's not really in any company's favor to make critical bike parts that fail when being ridden.

The underwear are made from some kind of spandex material, and they also have a nondescript herbal scent.

link the undies you fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sandball posted:

link the undies you fool

Yea I can always use more underwear