Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lurdiak posted:

Injustice managed to have Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Batgirl with completely separate movesets, they can do whatever.

Yeah, but NetherRealm, unlike Capcom, can make a good fighting game. Man, poo poo's changed since the 90s...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, but NetherRealm, unlike Capcom, can make a good fighting game. Man, poo poo's changed since the 90s...

I've been saying that poo poo for years but it's taken SF5 for some people to finally wake up and realize Capcom's been bad for a while.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Capcom started strong, then lost a bunch of people in 2005 and started to backslide, which wasn't helped by the general malaise of the rest of the Japanese games industry. Capcom's still got some talent, and their games usually end up doing well, but their reputation's in the toilet.

Netherrealm started weak, coasting off controversy, and kind of made two good games (MK2, arguably Shaolin Monks) over the course of 19 years before they finally figured something out with MK9. If you're being very generous, you can even spot them MKvDC, which has tremendous balance problems but a decent story mode, and is the first version of the new systems that were refined in MK9 and Injustice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well yeah, Capcom used to be good, but that was well over a decade ago.

SF4 inexplicably did well even though that game was just hideous and unfun on every level. But good god do I not enjoy Capcom fighters anymore. Their last good one was on the PS2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Capcom started strong, then lost a bunch of people in 2005 and started to backslide, which wasn't helped by the general malaise of the rest of the Japanese games industry. Capcom's still got some talent, and their games usually end up doing well, but their reputation's in the toilet.

Netherrealm started weak, coasting off controversy, and kind of made two good games (MK2, arguably Shaolin Monks) over the course of 19 years before they finally figured something out with MK9. If you're being very generous, you can even spot them MKvDC, which has tremendous balance problems but a decent story mode, and is the first version of the new systems that were refined in MK9 and Injustice.

Technically Netherrealm's first game was the 2011 Mortal Kombat. Netherrealm is Midway combined with a WB team, so it's hard to say how much influence that had on the final product.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Well yeah, Capcom used to be good, but that was well over a decade ago.

Yeah, well over a decade ago is when they lost a lot of their go-to guys. They tried to outsource as much of their subsequent output as they could, with extremely mixed results (Ninja Theory's DMC reboot was a fan failure/financial success; DR2 was a smash, but DR3 and DR4 were much less popular and were hurt by platform exclusivity), and now they're trying to gather as much work back under one roof as they can. RE7 was almost totally in-house talent.

SF5, to my mind, suffers way more from executive meddling than anything else. It's a vehicle to make them that e-sports money and there's very little love in that game. SF4 was outsourced to a different studio, and by the time it was a decent game, it was just about too late.

MVC3/UMVC3, on the other hand, is good dopey fun. If anything, I'm concerned Infinite is watering things down too much.

Aphrodite posted:

Technically Netherrealm's first game was the 2011 Mortal Kombat. Netherrealm is Midway combined with a WB team, so it's hard to say how much influence that had on the final product.

IIRC, most of the core Netherrealm crew are the same people who have been working on MK for quite a while now, particularly Boon and Beran. There's a pretty strong continuity there, although modern Netherrealm also includes a lot of local talent who grew up playing MK.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

NRS games are sort of technically competent but I really think they fall short in terms of interesting character designs and translating the characters faithfully. Like, Superman can't fly because the engine can't handle air combos, so you just get Superman/Green Lantern/Wonder Woman crouching and walking forward to dodge a constant stream of perfectly level horizontal projectiles from Deadshot's Superman-killing gun. "Big" characters like Grodd or Bane can duck projectiles just the same as the regular cast despite their models clipping entirely through them.

It feels uninspired. Better FGs like Guilty Gear and Skullgirls vary their character designs way more, so a big character who can't duck projectiles might have armoured approach moves or unblockable knockdowns to get in, or a character with slow movement might have flight. It's a real killer for me that DC has so many flying heroes and they all have to walk everywhere in Injustice. Like, how do you make a fighting game where you can play as Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern, and none of them can fly?

Also, Darkseid kneels when he crouches. Hard non-canon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a choice. Those Japanese anime fighters are not accessible, and when you're making a Superman and Batman game you want to be accessible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure, Injustice 2 relies a lot more on meter burn stuff than the first, it feels like. Even early in story mode I feel like they want me to do combo breakers and escapes way more often than most fighting games expect from single player. Maybe that's just because you're playing mostly rushdown type characters against the big bruisers like Supes, Grodd and Swamp Thing in the early going.

Pretty Superhero Dress-up Game is more fun than it should be and I get a kick out of giving Green Arrow a dumb tacticool helmet and pouches on his thighs. It's the right sort of goofy, though it's clearly going to result in the typical loot rush of most games with such a system.

Oh, also, if anyone's not into paying 60bux for the game, it seems like the mobile version is going to have the whole story mode with identical cutscenes.

EDIT: Also, I cannot do Harley's tutorial #6 for the life of me. The game either thinks I'm doing it too slow, or if I go fast, it triggers the cupcake grenade and not the slide.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 19, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, also, if anyone's not into paying 60bux for the game, it seems like the mobile version is going to have the whole story mode with identical cutscenes.

I mean, if all you want is to watch the story mode cutscenes, they've been uploaded to youtube by a bunch of different people by now. I wouldn't want to suggest people torture themselves with the mobile game's grindy-rear end setup and awkward controls just to watch that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The facial animations for Injustice 2 are so good. Probably the best I've ever seen in a video game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

The facial animations for Injustice 2 are so good. Probably the best I've ever seen in a video game.

They did facial capture with the voice actors for all the characters (yes, including for Deadshot, who wears his mask the whole time) and then the animators elaborated on it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm watching the cutscene compilation on the youtube and starting Chapter 2. Harley is fan-loving-tastic, and yeah, everyone's faces look incredible. Is that supposed to be Tara Strong's face for Black Canary?

This is so far a highly enjoyable movie and the perfect way to not work today.

George Newbern's Superman voice is so good.

Ew no, Superman's headsock/chinguard costume is terrible. Put your prison scrubs back on!

Harley, still the best.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 19, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

They did facial capture with the voice actors for all the characters (yes, including for Deadshot, who wears his mask the whole time) and then the animators elaborated on it.

They did a really good job. I remember the first shots they released of the game and the faces were all really ugly. Glad to see that wasn't the case in the final product. More games need to do this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

redbackground posted:

George Newbern's Superman voice is so good.

I like that after the first game, where Regime Superman just kind of pouted and snarled at people, they remembered that Clark Kent is an actual smart guy with a quick wit, because he has some pretty brilliant lines in this game where he's being an rear end in a top hat to people and Newbern knocks it out of the park.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

I like that after the first game, where Regime Superman just kind of pouted and snarled at people, they remembered that Clark Kent is an actual smart guy with a quick wit, because he has some pretty brilliant lines in this game where he's being an rear end in a top hat to people and Newbern knocks it out of the park.

It's interesting to think about the little differences they wrote into the universe to make the heel turn more believable. Most notably, the Injustice version of Lex Luthor was never a villain at all, and Brainiac has shown up so rarely that nobody knew who he was without asking Kara. A benevolent Luthor alone has to cut Superman's typical workload by what, half?

Aphrodite posted:

It's a choice. Those Japanese anime fighters are not accessible, and when you're making a Superman and Batman game you want to be accessible.

I'd argue that there isn't much of a difference in accessibility, particularly in the modern Netherrealm format where every character has a trait button, EX moves, meter management, and a dozen command normals. It's just a question of what you're familiar with beforehand. "Anime fighters" do have the point of contention that most of them don't work as well on a pad, while Netherrealm games are built with the expectation that you'll be playing them on a default controller.

With MVC in particular, as people have been telling me a lot lately, the major accessibility issue right now is the presence of the Capcom characters.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah mechanically I don't think NRS is particularly accessible. Every character keying off a series of command normals that have to be cancelled into ground bounces and OTGs to combo is actually pretty up there in terms of complexity.

I mean, you can mash it out casually, but you can do that with most fighting games to about the same level of competence.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also MKX had like, command runs and run cancel combos and dashes on every character and that stuff is like King of Fighters grade complicated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NRS games' preset combos let scrubs do something more than special moves and normals because they know YYX does a combo. That's inherently more accessible, in my view.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Yeah mechanically I don't think NRS is particularly accessible. Every character keying off a series of command normals that have to be cancelled into ground bounces and OTGs to combo is actually pretty up there in terms of complexity.

I mean, you can mash it out casually, but you can do that with most fighting games to about the same level of competence.

You can beat the story without doing any of that.

Playing that way will get you 2 or 3 fights into a ladder in other games.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah but those aren't like, the game's actual combos, the actual combo stuff is when you cancel a chain into a special into a ground bounce into another chain or whatever. Most of the chains can't actually successfully be used from neutral, so people trying to use each of them like individual combos will always be like, "what the hell, this move is useless!" because only a handful of chains per character aren't designed to be used exclusively as mid-combo filler. So that's sort of anti-accessibility in my view.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

You can beat the story without doing any of that.

Playing that way will get you 2 or 3 fights into a ladder in other games.

You can definitely mash your way through arcade mode on Normal difficulty in just about every fighter I've ever played. Actually MK9's story mode was way way harder than like SF4, KoF 13, Skullgirls, Guilty Gear Xrd, etc. Some of the 1v2 fights and of course Shao Kahn are super difficult.

I do think the story modes make NRS games approachable though. They're definitely great by the standards of the medium, and if you're looking for a singleplayer fighting game experience that's pretty good I guess.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also like this style of story mode because it forces you to try most characters and learn at least the bare basics of how they play, which helps idiot just-above-mashing players like me find cool dudes and dudettes I might not normally play.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Come on if you don't main Batman

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I will break you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Black Canary, Arrow and Flash... maybe Catwoman and Power Girl if I practice with them a bit more.

Also, GA's trait lets you burn super bar to shoot boxing glove arrows!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 20, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Are the traits unbalanced? Batman's seems to be three quick weak free hits that vanish if you so much as get bumped into while Superman's appears to be a power boost that lasts loving forever

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Are the traits unbalanced? Batman's seems to be three quick weak free hits that vanish if you so much as get bumped into while Superman's appears to be a power boost that lasts loving forever

To some extent, I think so, but some of them are just situational. Flash's, for instance, uses the Speed Force to slow down your opponent, but it's a really long startup and if you get hit, it immediately ends. Ollie's, as I said, are trick arrows, but you need to do a command to pick which arrow type you're going to shoot next which again leaves you open.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Those weak damage traits are usually meant to extend combos.

So the little bots don't do much but if you know your Batman they let you combo harder.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I actually wish the story mode was a bit longer and had you play as more characters. Thanks to the leveling stuff there's a bunch of characters I haven't even touched while I've been leveling up my main.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Batman and Superman are getting as much play from me here as Mario and Luigi in Mario Kart.

Okay, more, since the story mode forced me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I actually wish the story mode was a bit longer and had you play as more characters. Thanks to the leveling stuff there's a bunch of characters I haven't even touched while I've been leveling up my main.

Even if you're just grinding offline, the multiverse thing does try to make you use new characters by having objectives or even whole ladders where you need to play as certain people. (Even so, gently caress Hal Jordan's stupid face, I HATE Green Lantern in this, he's bad at EVERYthing.)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah GL sucks in this game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, and because the game's bad at explaining this, the 'battle simulator' in the Multiverse is the traditional arcade ladder modes, complete with goofy slideshow endings. (Sadly not with specific endings if you used like the Power Girl or Mr Freeze skins, though)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Today I learned that Boon apparently contemplated putting Buffy the Vampire Slayer into Injustice 2, but she lost a Twitter poll. I'm really sad now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Today I learned that Boon apparently contemplated putting Buffy the Vampire Slayer into Injustice 2, but she lost a Twitter poll. I'm really sad now.

...gently caress the internet!

Though, in fairness, I'm not sure what she'd do that Canary doesn't already.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Who won that poll

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Calaveron posted:

Who won that poll

Pretty sure it was Spawn

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Don't take things Ed Boon says at face value.

pubic works project posted:

Yeah GL sucks in this game.

Bane was nearly unplayable when the first game launched, give it a patch or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Uhhh, Green Lantern's really strong in this game.