Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was it the original Wasteland that had something where it'd tell you to turn to a specific page for the copy protection thing, but the book containing said copy protection stuff had its own stories that never showed up in the actual game in order to uh...do something?

I don't know. I remember reading on these forums about some game that had copy protection and they made it so you couldn't just read through the book to get the info on the game because there were events in the book that never happened in the game like alien stuff or something, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Was it the original Wasteland that had something where it'd tell you to turn to a specific page for the copy protection thing, but the book containing said copy protection stuff had its own stories that never showed up in the actual game in order to uh...do something?

I don't know. I remember reading on these forums about some game that had copy protection and they made it so you couldn't just read through the book to get the info on the game because there were events in the book that never happened in the game like alien stuff or something, idk
Certain conversations important to game progression were kept in a book that came with the game. At certain points, the game would tell you to look up Paragraph X, sort of like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, instead of play out the conversation in the game itself.

The book was filled with paragraphs for non-existent plotlines and other red herrings to mess with people trying to "read ahead", along with a few that called you out for trying to read the book from start to finish like some kind of crazy person.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Kins posted:

I'm looking forward to having 20 different launchers/clients - all for different publishers - sitting in my taskbar at once, and dealing with the Bethesda.net Launcher for the Quake beta has made me even more comfortable that this is the one true good future that is Best For The Platform.
Nah, after this period of fighting over pity money the big gaming corpos will finally merge into a single client called sky.net.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

welcome robot overlords etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Destiny 2 using the Blizzard launcher is just an act of corporate convenience. Activision knows it's gonna sell a bazillion copies and doesn't want to pay Steam to host it, Blizzard already has their own popular client infrastructure, why pay when you can get the milk for free etc.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I can't wait to play games on a dozen different clients (each one with a fatal flaw; region locking, no sales, censored reviews, user datamining on behalf of the Chinese government, etc.).

Palpek posted:

Nah, after this period of fighting over pity money the big gaming corpos will finally merge into a single client called sky.net WeGame.

Fixed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There are like 4 major launchers, of which Destiny is not adding to any, and 3 of them are perfectly fine.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

your launcher s*ucks :twisted:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Batman TAS on Fox and JL/JLU on Cartoon Network are all you really need to watch as a layman to get and enjoy DC. They ranged from solid to great. I don't think they ever had cat sidekicks show up back then though which is a shame.

Please don't forget Batman Beyond

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the DCAU was great but Batman TAS was and always will be the best

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cant believe its already time for a new fire emblem game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have it right now but I also only have three puzzles left in The Swapper and I'm not going to let it beat me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

gamer confessions: i bought conquest on sale in january and still haven't played it (I beat Birthright last year though)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Cant believe its already time for a new fire emblem game

It's the first one I haven't bought on release in the last 10 years and I feel bad but there's so many games this year...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

It's the first one I haven't bought on release in the last 10 years and I feel bad but there's so many games this year...

If its any consolation this game doesnt seem very good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

If its any consolation this game doesnt seem very good

Oh no

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well as a FE game, and those expectations, at least. I kinda dig how bizarre it is, mashing together dungeon crawling, open party customization, and random battles. Its more like a JRPG with a needlessly detailed battle system. The maps are pretty much all flat squares with X enemies in it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anything interesting happen in the last few days that wasn't political hilarity, I've been out of the loop

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Captain Invictus posted:

Anything interesting happen in the last few days that wasn't political hilarity, I've been out of the loop

Well, Wargaming of World of Tanks fame is threatening youtubers for their videos about their f2p-practices.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Life is Strange 2 was announced yesterday.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Injustice 2 came out!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rexroom posted:

Well, Wargaming of World of Tanks fame is threatening youtubers for their videos about their f2p-practices.

Haha I thought to myself "That sounds like a Jim Sterling topic" and he already made one two hours ago.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can make your own OC characters in the next Sonic game, Phantom Dust is free, Owlboy is coming to Switch, and some other stuff, idk

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Destiny 2 is coming to PC on battle.net. Surely companies opting to sell their games direct rather than giving Valve a percentage cut of their sales means the end of games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Started The Fall, I feel like I would have preferred it if it had just stuck to being an adventure game without any combat, even though it's been pretty easy so far. I really like its premise of an AI robot suit trying to save its unconscious human occupant though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Fall is insanely good.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The sequel is coming out soon, too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool

Cool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Life is Strange 2 was announced yesterday.

[in EDF voice] Life is Strange! Life is Strange!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's been a weird but fun month for me in terms of gaming. I've just been replaying old games I hadn't touched in a long while: Rimworld, Dark Souls, Hearthstone, Civilization 5. I don't think I'll need to chase new releases for a long time.

It's true that every new year is the best year for games because the old greats don't go away, we just get more greats

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
i'm one of those broken people who can start playing a new dark souls game whenever so high five

Also I caved into my impulse and started a new SMTIV file while ignoring my backlog (i have accepted that beating games is just not something KingSlime does anymore)

It's so much fun! I love the aesthetic, the setting, the demon party member system that is very reminiscent of Dragon Quest Monsters and much funner to manage than a single character's Persona. My last playthrough stopped at 20 hours. Let's see if I can beat it this time before getting distracted

I am playing both P5 and SMTIV simultaneously and while Persona 5 is very good. I might like SMTIV better, guys. Am I hosed in the head? Persona in general feels light and pop-esque whereas SMTIV feels like a legit, true to its roots JRPG with a much more serious tone

E: I am going with magic with my MC, I'll try a dex build on SMTIVA if/when i get around to that

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 19, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How big is the Life is Strange studio? I thought they were working on a vampire game that was probably going to be mediocre

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

[in EDF voice] Life is Strange! Life is Strange!

I'm actually kind of curious how this is going to work. Is it going to be a completly new game like they talked about with new characters, a new setting and little to no connection to the previous one or will they tie them together in some way?

Either way, if we do see Max again I'd imagine no matter what ending they go with she's probably not going to be the same person she was before (she either ends up indirectly murdering her best friend/lover and is left with the memory of an experience that technically never happened and couldn't be told to anyone without her sounding batshit crazy or she indirectly murders her entire hometown and there's no telling whether or not something else would end up happening to Chloe later down the line, I can't imagine either choice being particualrly good for Max's mental state). For a game with no actual combat, Max actually has a pretty impressive body count on her hands if you think about it.

Well no matter what they end up doing I still liked the first game overall and look forward to seeing more information on this.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 19, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*Games voice* yes you're hosed in the head for having preferences in the kinds of games you like

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lakbay posted:

How big is the Life is Strange studio? I thought they were working on a vampire game that was probably going to be mediocre

Not that big but Vampyr is probably going to be out this year and LiS 2 might still just be in the planning stages.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The vampire game isn't supposed to be episodic is it? I can see them being in a state where they just finished that up and can work on LiS.

I can also see a scenario where Square gave them some money to shelve that for a bit (or even hire more people so they can do two at once).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

I'm actually kind of curious how this is going to work. Is it going to be a completly new game like they talked about with new characters, a new setting and little to no connection to the previous one or will they tie them together in some way?

I would most like for them to do a completely new setting with different characters. Part of the reason why the rewind time gimmick works so well is that it 100% embodies the kind of person Max is at the beginning of the story. I think a different protagonist would require a new twist on the gimmick.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Motto posted:

*Games voice* yes you're hosed in the head for having preferences in the kinds of games you like

I've always felt different somehow, special even.

I think diving into SMTIV might also be my way of preparing for that upcoming 3ds strange journey remake, that game always intrigued the poo poo out of me but I never got around to actually playing it for more than a few minutes.

RPG's with a sick, fully-engrossing atmosphere are less common than I would hope (so many cookie-cutter RPG worlds out there), though these last few years (last decade?) have had some fantastic offerings in this regard

E: and now everyone is talking about this dead cells game that sounds like an awesome castlevania rouge-lite, but it's in early access so I guess I'll wait til it's done because early access is not my jam

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 19, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It should be called "Life is 2 Strange".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Life is Stranger or, more fitting to the theme of the game, Life is Cruel (which makes me wonder if a sequel means a whole new group of people get to suffer because of something they never asked for or if this one will end on a slightly happier note).

Comedy Option:

Life is Strange 2: Zombies in Time
Life is Strange 2: Max & Chloe's Excellent Adventure

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 19, 2017

• Locked thread