Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Not run by, just employing hack reviewers, which is less far fetched (because it's largely true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The early initial reactions to BvS they released were much more positive than the final reviews, but lol that literally every major reviewer, RogerEbert.com, almost every major newspaper, Vanity Fair, The Hollywood Reporter, The American Film Association, NPR, and The New Yorker film review all being run by hacks.
We finally got you on board then eh?

Welcome to CineD. Kiss the feet of the statue of SMG and you may begin your initiation ceremony.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Smg aint no god he's just a chatbot

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

We finally got you on board then eh?

Welcome to CineD. Kiss the feet of the statue of SMG and you may begin your initiation ceremony.

I mean if you don't love Super Mario Galaxy then are you truly alive?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Replace fists with eyes and cops with reviewers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember someone on this thread or another one saying that they saw a poster or something saying "Metropolis has Superman, Gotham has Batman, the world has Wonder Woman". Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaajPsxheqk

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The early initial reactions to BvS they released were much more positive than the final reviews, but lol that literally every major reviewer, RogerEbert.com, almost every major newspaper, Vanity Fair, The Hollywood Reporter, The American Film Association, NPR, and The New Yorker film review all being run by hacks.

Singling out a senior writer for Vanity Fair here:
https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/865556441104433153

[edit] To extrapolate, her and one other movie blogger I saw felt the urge to interpret this tweet:
https://twitter.com/BatmanNewsCom/status/865393255558426624
as not giving Patty Jenkins her due credit for Wonder Woman turning out to be good, and instead directing praise towards Zack Snyder. :what:

The blogger who made the original tweet was just calling out critics who were smearing Snyder in their WW reviews, then a handful of bloggers lost their poo poo for some reason. Snyder being so divisive is great haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 19, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

teagone posted:

I'm gonna have to save these.

The most common defense, when called out on the Snyder hatemongering, is "you're just overreacting."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

teagone posted:

To be fair, she's being spammed with Tweets from people calling her a oval office, a misandrist, a bitch, an "ugly slut who wishes she could even touch this [picture of Zach Snyder] with a 10-foot pole", a "fake fan", and accusations that she only has a job because she is an affirmative action hire because she posted this.

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/865395702007963649

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you check that timeline she's pretty...shall we say controvesial? Vindictive? Just kinda generally mean-spirited and spiteful?

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/865395764960165889

I mean, lovely behavior attracts lovely people.

Edit: Oh jeez she also claims SNEAKERS is a perfect movie. You know SNEAKERS? The utterly forgettable film that wastes Robert Redford, Syndey Poitier, and River Phoenix?

Edit2: I guess I better explicitly say that OBVIOUSLY she does not deserve the personal attacks and gendered crap, duh. The people that are doing this are wrong and hosed up in the head.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 19, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
She's ruminating over the symbolic victory of a woman-directed action movie, that's mediocre behavior at best.

I love Zack Snyder movies. I pull no truck with Zack Snyder fans. I am against fanaticism. gently caress 'em.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Snyder good, Jenkins good, internet bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

She's actually active cheering for future DC comic book movies to be bad so that a woman director has the only good one. I think that is what has really triggered the hate.

But honestly the post above me sums it up nicely:

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Snyder good, Jenkins good, internet bad.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Edit: Oh jeez she also claims SNEAKERS is a perfect movie. You know SNEAKERS? The utterly forgettable film that wastes Robert Redford, Syndey Poitier, and River Phoenix?

Sneakers is an awesome movie. I wouldn't have called it 'perfect', but I'm willing to be convinced.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

To be fair, she's being spammed with Tweets from people calling her a oval office, a misandrist, a bitch, an "ugly slut who wishes she could even touch this [picture of Zach Snyder] with a 10-foot pole", a "fake fan", and accusations that she only has a job because she is an affirmative action hire because she posted this.

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/865395702007963649

Yeah she is probably spot on about extreme Zack Snyder fans of anything at all on Twitter being goddamn awful sewer people. I think her saying they're "worse" is questionable. I think it's a grass-is-greener scenario, and if she poo poo-talked Trump* or Marvel or Fraggle Rock she'd have a bunch of adolescent shitheads calling her a oval office and threatening rape.

*with the caveat that she has more influence within movie fandom, extreme Trump fans would probably ignore her for juicier targets

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yakmouth posted:

Sneakers is an awesome movie. I wouldn't have called it 'perfect', but I'm willing to be convinced.

Yeah, it's fantastic light entertainment: charming characters in an amusing scenario without the risk of anything abrasive. That this is someone's idea of a perfect movie entirely explains the Snyder hate.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's like people who identify as gamers. This schtick is their entire being. Their entire reason to wake up. It's pathetic.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah she is probably spot on about extreme Zack Snyder fans of anything at all on Twitter being goddamn awful sewer people. I think her saying they're "worse" is questionable. I think it's a grass-is-greener scenario, and if she poo poo-talked Trump* or Marvel or Fraggle Rock she'd have a bunch of adolescent shitheads calling her a oval office and threatening rape.

*with the caveat that she has more influence within movie fandom, extreme Trump fans would probably ignore her for juicier targets

No. The point here is that she's a filthy hack, just like everyone at Vanity Fair is a hack and anyone who doesn't like BvS is a hack.

I mean, Jesus guys... critics are liking the Wonder Woman film. This is a good thing. You already knew they hated the first three DCEU movies, that's not news. Did you think liking Wonder Woman was going to retroactively change that??

Four months ago this thread was trying to guess how the mean nasty DCEU hate-train was going to screw over Wonder Woman and so far it hasn't happened.
Take the win.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yakmouth posted:

They cast Ben Kingsley and he has like 15 minutes of screen time, at the end. Not perfect. Still a good film though!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yakmouth posted:

No. The point here is that she's a filthy hack, just like everyone at Vanity Fair is a hack and anyone who doesn't like BvS is a hack.

I mean, Jesus guys... critics are liking the Wonder Woman film. This is a good thing. You already knew they hated the first three DCEU movies, that's not news. Did you think liking Wonder Woman was going to retroactively change that??

Four months ago this thread was trying to guess how the mean nasty DCEU hate-train was going to screw over Wonder Woman and so far it hasn't happened.
Take the win.

Calm down

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yakmouth posted:

No one has said she was filthy, no one has said everyone at Vanity Fair is a hack, nobody has said that everyone who doesn't like BvS is a hack.

You have a bad premise.

Jimbot posted:

They cast Ben Kingsley and he has like 15 minutes of screen time, at the end. Not perfect. Still a good film though!

Yeah that's my problem with it. The directing is terrible. Some of the greatest actors ever and they're directed like The Riverbank Community Players.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yakmouth posted:

Take the win.

I think fans are just annoyed at how a handful of critics openly, and almost triumphantly, claim Wonder Woman is good because they feel that Snyder had almost nothing to do with it, when in fact, he did. It comes off as them reaffirming their criticisms of the Snyder-helmed DCEU films, adding to their already inflated egos. I at least hope that's what most of the fans (who aren't doubling down into gender politics, because those kind of folk are legit morons) are responding to.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Guys, I think McCloud's "hack critics" phrase was aimed more at people who shat out poorly written/hyperbolic negative reviews, not at literally every single person ever critical of BvS/DCEU.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

No one has said she was filthy, no one has said everyone at Vanity Fair is a hack, nobody has said that everyone who doesn't like BvS is a hack.

You have a bad premise.

Yeah that's my problem with it. The directing is terrible. Some of the greatest actors ever and they're directed like The Riverbank Community Players.

McCloud did say that all of the bad reviews of BvS on Rotten Tomatoes were by hacks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW if you think that Zack Snyder fans can get a little hyperbolic well I've got some news for you:

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that someone believing BvS is good is as bad as someone being racist.

I know that sounds like I'm being ironic, but I'm 100% serious

edit: please do not engage with this person or that thread.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 19, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud did say that all of the bad reviews of BvS were by hacks.

No he didn't he said there was a hail of bad reviews by hacks. He didn't say there was a 1/1 correlation between writing a bad review for BvS and being a hack.

Most movie reviews nowadays are frankly just hacks, I take any good or bad reviews with a grain of salt. You yourself said you weren't sure about the good WW reviews because they seemed to focus on how they "learned to fix the DCCU by not making it depressing this time!". And not trusting reviewers is a good instinct dude, because so many of them are hacks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the point some people are trying to make is that bashing Zack Snyder in a glowing Wonder Woman review doesn't accomplish anything. It serves no purpose other than to get in pot shots of a director the critic doesn't like for some reason. I guess directing films they personally don't like is equivalent to what Roman Polanski or Woody Allen did. :shrug:

Tell me about it! The talent definitely carries that film because the direction sure as heck didn't.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

I think the point some people are trying to make is that bashing Zack Snyder in a glowing Wonder Woman review doesn't accomplish anything. It serves no purpose other than to get in pot shots of a director the critic doesn't like for some reason. I guess directing films they personally don't like is equivalent to what Roman Polanski or Woody Allen did. :shrug:

I also think mccloud was just genuinely trying to forecast what the WW reviews would be based on how early reviews of BvS were compared to later reviews. Were they kind of bad and got worse or just as bad or good then future reviewers did a 180?

People are just focusing on the "hacks" thing which is understandable, but it wasn't a bad line of questioning.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

teagone posted:

I think fans are just annoyed at how a handful of critics openly, and almost triumphantly, claim Wonder Woman is good because they feel that Snyder had almost nothing to do with it, when in fact, he did. It comes off as them reaffirming their criticisms of the Snyder-helmed DCEU films, adding to their already inflated egos. I at least hope that's what most of the fans (who aren't doubling down into gender politics, because those kind of folk are legit morons) are responding to.

I'm sorry. Sincerely. I'm going to go take a walk.

It's just... Wonder Woman is looking good. Aquaman is looking good. The DCEU is looking good. And instead of celebrating that this thread would rather rehash how people treat Zack Snyder unfairly.

Snyder is clearly trying to be controversial. He wants to push boundaries and make people uncomfortable. He wants to be abrasive. And it's working, he's shaping the conversation about superheroes in ways that wouldn't have happened if he weren't around. But you don't get to be abrasive and universally beloved, pretty much by definition. If you challenge people you need to expect to be challenged in return.

Snyder is going to keep making movies, and the people that hate them will keep hating them. In the meantime, maybe the DCEU can win over some new fans. Take the win.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's an example of what McCloud was talking about, look at how this lovely review is circlejerked over by critics:

https://twitter.com/mattzollerseitz/status/712742359071633412

I really encourage you all to read the review, which contains such winners as:

"Snyder took the most Christ-like figure in Silver Age Comics and made him a Golden Age figure all noir and war and crime and horror. He created the single most irreducible icon of my childhood and made him a murderer indifferent to the suffering of thousands of collateral casualties, buried by his fecklessness and rage in the rubble of his adopted home of Metropolis. It's interesting to me that this film and the upcoming Captain America: Civil War will be dealing with the consequences of levelling cities, packed to the brim as these franchises have been with city-levelling 9/11 iconography. It's interesting, too, that this iteration of Superman continues to have no problem with killing people. He demonstrates this early on when someone holds a gun to the head of lady love/professional hostage Lois Lane (Amy Adams). My response to that was a "well, of course he could kill anyone he wanted to at any time" horror. This is symptomatic of a movie that doesn't seek to explain the ways of God to men, but imposes upon gods the petty weaknesses and tunnel vision of their creations. It's an attractive teleology vs. theology argument. Except that for this avowed atheist, pop-cultural Superman was the only divinity I ever truly believed in."

That's literally a nuclear-level NOT MY SUPERMAN meltdown containing numerous assertions not supported by the text being fawned over by the guy who took up the mantle of RogerEbert.com. Quite simply, no one will ever do it better than that.

He's a hack, btw.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is it weird that I just watch movies and don't really read reviews or twitter

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nah, I'm there with you. I only read them when they become a topic of debate so I'm informed as to their contents or if I see something retweeted a whole lot. Like the one from above is probably the one I've mentioned the most in this topic because it's probably the stupidest review I've read but people pass it around like it's some clever, well-written thing. Half the poo poo the guy puts in it isn't even in the film. You couldn't arrive at that kind of reading even if you tried. The film just doesn't support it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nah, I do the same. "Reviews" is a good choice of word given that most of these people are just writing consumer reviews as opposed to actual criticism.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BTW if you think that Zack Snyder fans can get a little hyperbolic well I've got some news for you:

edit: please do not engage with this person or that thread.

:psyduck: odd way of finding out that I, as a black woman, must secretly hate my race because I like BvS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

BVS is a visit to father confessor and obeisance to mother dominatrix. It'll make you feel like poo poo and you'll go back again, and again, and again, because it's what you deserve, isn't it, worm? I know this because it's what we all deserve.

Uh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I really did laugh out loud when I read that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Jimbot posted:

Nah, I'm there with you.

Gorn Myson posted:

Nah, I do the same.

Sorry this thread is exclusively for obsessives please collect your Snyder-themed gift bag on the way out

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Equeen posted:

:psyduck: odd way of finding out that I, as a black woman, must secretly hate my race because I like BvS.

In that goofball's defense he didn't say you were a racist because you enjoyed BvS, simply that you were the moral equivalent of one.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 19, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Please don't kink-shame, reviewer.

I wonder if Wonder Woman is mainly linear storytelling. Some people got thrown off in MoS and Batman v Superman by the flashbacks and dream sequences or just didn't like them (for whatever reason). My biggest fear is that Wonder Woman just spells everything out for you in neon pink marker like Marvel films tend to do in exposition dumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jimbot posted:

Please don't kink-shame, reviewer.

I wonder if Wonder Woman is mainly linear storytelling. Some people got thrown off in MoS and Batman v Superman by the flashbacks and dream sequences or just didn't like them (for whatever reason). My biggest fear is that Wonder Woman just spells everything out for you in neon pink marker like Marvel films tend to do in exposition dumps.

We already know there's a framing story involving Wonder Woman in the present day. Beyond that, it is a mystery.

• Locked thread