Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Comrade Fakename posted:

They can't set a new show after DS9/VOY because the last canon event we know happens in that timeline is the destruction of Romulus, which was established in the films.

Oh, and the new uniforms are pretty clearly inspired by (though legally distinct from) the USS Kelvin uniforms from ST '09, which makes sense since they're set in pretty similar times.

Honestly, the negativity in this thread is just baffling to me. Pretty much all we can tell from these trailer is the look of the show, and from that it seems clear that we're going to have the best-looking Trek series ever. People pining over The Orville are a loving joke. "It can't be real Star Trek if it's not flatly lit and beige!"

I'm super pumped, from what we've seen, this looks great. God knows what the whiners actually want from a new Star Trek show.

The negativity isn't coming from just the trailer in a vacuum; it's the apparent near-catastrophe that is the production itself, from multiple delays to major changes in the creative team to just straight up not knowing what the hell they're doing, building sets only to tear them down without using them, etc. It's possible to get something good out of a behind-the-scenes mess, creativity in adversity and all that, but it's not a good look. And when you couple that with tying it to All Access, keeping it at arm's length is justified. I think it's only fair to give it a chance, I mean what have we got to lose, but I'm solidly in the skeptical zone so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Bloop posted:

I like the movie Stargate but never watched any of the TV.

Should I?

yus

SG:1 is pretty different from the movie, and much better I think, though like Star Treks its first season is really rough.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Should I?

SG:1 is fantastic, campy television and one of my favorite sci-fi series ever. It lasts a bit too long, and has some rough patches while they figure out what they want to do after the most recent world ending crisis, but it's very enjoyable and it's absolutely worth watching.

Atlantis is also a lot of fun, but has more problems and stumbles in more places, and I can't recommend it out of hand unless you liked almost all of SG:1.

SG:U is terrible, despite the presence of Robert Carlyle.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Orv posted:

SG:1 is fantastic, campy television and one of my favorite sci-fi series ever. It lasts a bit too long, and has some rough patches while they figure out what they want to do after the most recent world ending crisis, but it's very enjoyable and it's absolutely worth watching.

Atlantis is also a lot of fun, but has more problems and stumbles in more places, and I can't recommend it out of hand unless you liked almost all of SG:1.

SG:U is terrible, despite the presence of Robert Carlyle.

Just chiming in to say that some of us were really into SGA, despite not really enjoying SG1. It's certainly goofier, and the military influence has been removed (because the producers thought following the guidelines set up by the US military was a bummer).

Orv
May 4, 2011
I should clarify that I do really like Atlantis, in some ways more than SG:1, when the two are viewed on their best merits. Atlantis just has some parts that bother me as a whole, notably the overall arc of what happens with the Wraith, and the tonal shift that seems to happen again and again during later seasons. They're both worth watching, but for me Atlantis is more of a "I want more Stargate" recommendation. To each their own, etc.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Happy Page 420!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

...I miss FYAD's Trek phase :(

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

No better place than Page 420 to post a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X69aDIFFsc

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

spincube posted:

...I miss FYAD's Trek phase :(

The STO thread just got dropped to FYAD

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

In a way I guess I was burned by Enterprise. I actually really liked the show more often than not, but the single worst thing about it was the setting. It just dragged the show down. The truth is, prequels almost always suck. They give backstory to stories that already built in all the information we needed to know, and they usually lack their own sense of purpose beyond paying homage to an existing piece of media. Certainly my ideal new Star Trek doesn't have to take place after Voyager or address the Dominion war, but I just think virtually any setting would be better than pre-TOS (again).

Enterprise is a show that ended over a decade ago. As far as I know, literally no one involved with that is making Discovery. If Discovery succeeds or fails, I don't see that it will have anything to do with how Enterprise fared. And as for the prequel problem, it seems to me that, other than a single (relatively obscure) returning character, everything else is new.

thexerox123 posted:

Star Trek Online manages to work with it. They have a New Romulus plotline.

And CBS and Paramount seem to work together on things like that more often than not. The new movies are riddled with references to the shows. MACOs, Section 31, etc.

Haven't we been over this? STO is its own thing outside the films or TV. But because of CBS/Paramount's stupid legal separation the TV shows can't reference anything in the films (of course the films can reference the TV shows because the entire franchise is a reference to a TV show). I was under the impression that this was explicitly given as the reason the new show isn't set in the Kelvin timeline.

So CBS have two choices - set the show at the end of the timeline but massively ignore established canon (with the fanbase least likely to accept that) or set the show at an earlier time.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The negativity isn't coming from just the trailer in a vacuum; it's the apparent near-catastrophe that is the production itself, from multiple delays to major changes in the creative team to just straight up not knowing what the hell they're doing, building sets only to tear them down without using them, etc. It's possible to get something good out of a behind-the-scenes mess, creativity in adversity and all that, but it's not a good look. And when you couple that with tying it to All Access, keeping it at arm's length is justified. I think it's only fair to give it a chance, I mean what have we got to lose, but I'm solidly in the skeptical zone so far.

For the past few months in this thread we have been amusing ourselves with the hilarious stories from that "Second 25 years" book about how incredibly mismanaged the production of TNG was. A senile Roddenberry and his sinister lawyer skulking about, insane writing restrictions, the craziest writer turnover rate Hollywood has ever seen, cast members being sexually assaulted and leaving the show. And the irretrievable nightmare scenario for Discovery is a showrunner leaving because he had another show going, some set problems and a few delays?

Jesus, we're all so forgiving if the old shows that we'll gladly tell people to sit through multiple 20 ep+ seasons before they actually get watchable. If Discovery is just tolerable, it will probably be in the top half of all Trek.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The two best scenes in Beyond are actually polar opposites, I'd say, in terms of pace and scale. Those being Bones and Kirk's discussion of mortality and finding your own direction in life over stolen whiskey, and the Beastie Boys explosion-o-rama.

My favorite parts were the very beginning with Kirk walking around the ship and monologueing (I've always been a sucker for a good captain's log), the Yorktown intro sequence, Spock and McCoy's heart to green blooded Vulcan heart (basically, nu-Spock is always out of character, so the only times he works at all is when he's explicitly out of character the way Nimoy would have played it), and the scene where they're knocking around the Franklin and "Fight the Power" comes on. I might have liked the Beastie Boys thing more if the trailer hadn't spoiled it and I thought the rest of the climax was sort of a wash. The last act of that movie is basically three long action set pieces with very little breathing room in between (why do people do this?) and I found it kind of exhausting. The best parts for me were the very beginning (except Spock/Uhura romance stuff, which is the worst) and the long stretch where they're separated on the planet and gradually come together. That's where the movie's heart is. After that, it's mostly just lasers and 'splosions which were fine, but not really what I watch Star Trek for.

The Bloop posted:

Should I?

I really liked the first show, skipped Atlantis, and was pretty much checked out by the time the movies and Universe came out. I've been thinking of going back and rewatching it, but I'm not sure if it would all hold up. I remember some early episodes (like the pilot) being really good and a lot of the planet-of-the-week ones being pretty meh. After a while, I stopped watching it as consistently and started getting really confused by the almost comic book levels of setting mythology that started piling up. There'd be episodes where some new big bad like Anubis or Hathor or Goa'uld Satan would show up or they'd reference something from Atlantis I'd be like, "am I supposed to know who that is?," but it wasn't really that hard to follow and watching in order would probably help. Later on, they started phasing out the Goa'uld (basically parasite gods like Ra from the movie) as villains and introduced more variety, but a lot of their villains didn't quite work. I checked out a little after MacGuyver left the show (tbf, he'd been kinda phoning it in his last couple seasons anyway) and got replaced by a couple refugees from Farscape (Canadian-produced scifi has a pretty shallow casting pool at times). At that point, the big bads were basically evil space puritans and, to a lesser extent, a greedy merchant cartel even less threatening than the Ferengi. I never saw how it all ended, but that doesn't really bother me. It had a really strong run for it's first half decade or so and, if it started falling apart after that, that's OK. Even the season where Daniel Jackson disappears Dr. Crusher style and replaced with a random alien with the exact same role isn't half bad. Give the pilot a watch you'll probably like it.

As for how it all fits together, think of Star Gate SG-1 as sort of like the Next Generation -- a soft reboot with the Kurt Russell movie in the TOS role, referenced as necessary, contradicted when convenient, and ultimately not that important. SG1 follows a similar arc to TNG as well in that it took a little while to find its feet (though it's first season isn't quite as dire as TNG's), was really quality TV for a few years after that, and then gradually declined and made some mediocre movies. Atlantis is sort of mix of DS9 and Voyager in that it was a spinoff set on an alien space station in another galaxy trying to get back home and also dealing with good and evil races of obnoxious godlike aliens. It ran concurrently with SG-1, but I didn't get the Sci-Fi channel at the time and never watched much. From what I've heard, there were crossovers of various quality, character and plot rehashes from the original show, and its own convoluted mythology. Some people love it, some people still hate it. IDK. Star Gate Universe is more like Enterprise. It was a significant departure from the previous shows (basically more of the "lets do Star Trek" space ship stuff that started happening in later SG-1) and ended after two seasons, much to the chagrin of some fans who insist that it was finally getting good at the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it a fact that the TV shows can't reference the movies? I've seen it bandied about but haven't see anything official that says the they aren't allowed to.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQVc79FE5Bo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

First I've heard of that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tunicate posted:

The STO thread just got dropped to FYAD

What'd they do now.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Comrade Fakename posted:

For the past few months in this thread we have been amusing ourselves with the hilarious stories from that "Second 25 years" book about how incredibly mismanaged the production of TNG was. A senile Roddenberry and his sinister lawyer skulking about, insane writing restrictions, the craziest writer turnover rate Hollywood has ever seen, cast members being sexually assaulted and leaving the show. And the irretrievable nightmare scenario for Discovery is a showrunner leaving because he had another show going, some set problems and a few delays?

Jesus, we're all so forgiving if the old shows that we'll gladly tell people to sit through multiple 20 ep+ seasons before they actually get watchable. If Discovery is just tolerable, it will probably be in the top half of all Trek.

Why do you think I'm still willing to give it a chance? So far the only real roadblock to me is All Access, which I absolutely will not sign up for except maybe to binge when it's finished, so I'll be waiting to watch it even if it turns out to be really good. I've waited over 10 years for a new show, I can wait another 6 months or whatever it will be.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol just lol if you're going to pay money to watch the new Star Trek

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

drat, new series lookin' good

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is it a fact that the TV shows can't reference the movies? I've seen it bandied about but haven't see anything official that says the they aren't allowed to.

Here's my theory of how CBS came by that particular restriction.

:wal:"My grandkids like those Jay Jabrams movies, let's do that."

:geno:"You mean set it in that era and incorporate some of the tone and design elements?"

:wal: "Era? Elements? Listen, Yaley, I know money and the J. K. Abraham Star Treks are money. Make me those."

:geno: "...I'll see what I can do."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Apropos of nothing: Voyager did have a pretty awesome theme song though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watched Home Soil, the terraforming/crystal lifeforms one. What I like about it is how well it makes use of the characters' special abilities. Geordi's vision, Data's strength and reflexes, and for once Troi's empathy are all used in ways that are in-character, make sense and advance the plot. Riker even gets to use his supposed ladies' man powers on a woman who ISN'T a 24th century hentai dating sim. Not to mention Picard gets outraged and Worf gets owned.

It's kind of the platonic ideal Star Trek episode to me, especially because it's ultimately about how we should treat a new and unusual life form.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Shame Home Soil is pretty forgettable except for one thing.

UGLY BAGS OF MOSTLY WATER.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

Tended to happen when one hired Jerry Goldsmith.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Drone posted:

For real though, was it the last great Trek theme (not counting faith of the heart and Archers theme) or was there a gem hidden in one of the lovely movies that​ I've forgotten? I really can't remember anything about the Jam Jar Oxfam movies' scores at all. Maybe they caught marvel movie syndrome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drone posted:

Voyager's theme song actually goes quite well with the Enterprise opening credits. Sadly it's too short to work all the way.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Duckbag posted:

For real though, was it the last great Trek theme (not counting faith of the heart and Archers theme) or was there a gem hidden in one of the lovely movies that​ I've forgotten? I really can't remember anything about the Jam Jar Oxfam movies' scores at all. Maybe they caught marvel movie syndrome.

ST III's theme is the theme to a much better version of ST III that got lost in the wash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbBeOGJjTsw

Or the movie it wanted to be, to put it another way.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watched Home Soil, the terraforming/crystal lifeforms one. What I like about it is how well it makes use of the characters' special abilities. Geordi's vision, Data's strength and reflexes, and for once Troi's empathy are all used in ways that are in-character, make sense and advance the plot. Riker even gets to use his supposed ladies' man powers on a woman who ISN'T a 24th century hentai dating sim. Not to mention Picard gets outraged and Worf gets owned.

It's kind of the platonic ideal Star Trek episode to me, especially because it's ultimately about how we should treat a new and unusual life form.

Home soil is one of if not the first solid "star trek" episode of TNG. I know it's sort of bland compared to later stuff (and a bit of a Devil In The Dark retread), but in a season of Roddenberry utopianism, bizarre nonsense plots, infuriating pseudophilosophical blather, terrible characterization, and offensively broad planets of hats, it's unbelievably refreshing to see an episode that's just a classic murder mystery with a weird alien, human characters, and a straightforward moral. When I got to it on my last TNG marathon all I could think was "thank God, I'm watching Star Trek again."

Even if the murder laser scene is completely ridiculous.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I actually really like the JJTrek theme? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5hBQDepXOE

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Duckbag posted:

First Contact was after Voyager started, right? 'Cuz that's a good one. After that it was mostly just unmemorably good re-uses of the TNG theme though.

Giacchino's theme for JJtrek was okay, but nothing special. And the entire score basically WAS the theme.

And speaking of Marvel, he changed like one note and reused it for Dr. Strange.

Orv
May 4, 2011
JJTrek's theme is just good enough that when the theme kicks in at appropriate times in 09 and Beyond, I grin just a little. And for me, that's the mark of a good theme, it ties you to the characters and used properly you feel what they want you to feel from it. It's not incredible, but it does what it needs to.

Now if we could get an extended version of that club music from 09, we might be onto something.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

You're right, it's not bad. Chalk it up to me only see the movies once.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

There are like 12 tracks on ST '09 and they are all just remixes of this riff.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Duckbag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfJSE8Ea94c

Best Trek music since the Voyager theme.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
:colbert: You're all wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGkDJCslw1Y

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Drone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfJSE8Ea94c

Best Trek music since the Voyager theme.

Wow that is good.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I didn't care to play Star Trek Online at all, but I think they really nailed the music for a Star Trek video game. I appreciate they did their own thing and didn't ape other themes other than the opener here. I particularly like the bit that starts around 1:30 and goes through to 2:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_INzWxfJ8mo

The Bloop posted:

Should I?

Yes. As a Star Trek fan I think you will enjoy it. Atlantis is good too.

There's very few shows that I wish I could forget just so I could watch them fresh. Deep Space Nine, Stargate SG-1, and Stargate Atlantis are right there at the top of the list.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 19, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siZcFrDVYNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

dont even fink about it posted:

There are like 12 tracks on ST '09 and they are all just remixes of this riff.

The soundtrack is one of the things I hate most about JJ Trek whereas I've watched TMP just for the soundtrack.