Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I :lol: that every mock seems to ignore who Phoenix drafted last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

Also, all the things you've said doesn't go with Ball having a high floor. You described a player with a low floor.

No? I think he had a high floor, low ceiling. As in he I think he is likely to be an actual nba player but the odds of him being a st are catastrophically low. He does too many things well at his size to not stick around the league for a while l.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
If you think that Lonzo would ever get past the Sixers even if he wasn't No. 2, I don't know what to tell you.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

If the suns take Markkanen I'm going to be real mad

I'd be surprised if they did, they drafted two bigs last year

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lock it up
https://twitter.com/SHowardCooper/status/865323123079397376

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If the Hornets get Fox I'll marry you Rick

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

I :lol: that every mock seems to ignore who Phoenix drafted last year

Eh, this was the "competency" draft, you draft BPA top 5 if you're competent. Len is bad, Bender has potential that they shouldn't give up on, but it was difficult to have on the floor a lot last season, so there are minutes at PF/C even with Chriss being Better Than SAS Projected.

There are other reasons I could see the Suns drafting Markkanen that have crossed my mind but they drift away from basketball reasons and I really did try to keep it there for this mock.

Paul Zuvella posted:

No? I think he had a high floor, low ceiling. As in he I think he is likely to be an actual nba player but the odds of him being a st are catastrophically low. He does too many things well at his size to not stick around the league for a while l.

I will agree with you if your high floor is "an NBA player." Because I do think a 40% shooter always will have a place in the league. But I mean you still are generally hoping for a starter when drafting in the top 10. I think Monk has a high floor despite not thinking he's a career NBA starter because being a career 6th man is still really really good.

Also, I mean, Ball really doesn't have a lot of size (that we know of, since he skipped measurements). He's 6'5", maybe, which is big for a PG but if he's sliding over to SG, probably half the league is still going to have someone bigger on the other end. Although I guess with the way things are going that might not be the case in a couple years since SGs are trending down in height.

morestuff posted:

If the Hornets get Fox I'll marry you Rick

I hope we honeymoon in Paris.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

Because their dad made them take multiple 40ft shots per game since middle school and if you are 10 years old in order to generate enough power to get the ball anywhere near the basket from that far out you end up developing really weird mechanics.

This is true and it's why I'm a proponent of lower rims and smaller balls for kids until they get around like 4'8

THIS My PROBABLE picks MOCK DRAFfFFT, based on player profile, team needs, and front office tendencies UNAUTHORIZED :siren: My personal big board puts guys who get the athleticism stats and have wingspan and play defense over milquetoast prototypical guys, and it's that personal rubric that picked all the great late round steals of the last 3 years, I'm going to start selling my big board on mimeograph, like Mel Kuiper in 1984.

1 Celtics Markelle Fultz He's just what people wanted Deangelo Russel to be, which is the prototypical contemporary NBA pg who runs pnr well, finishes at the rim, and can make threes off the dribble

2 Lakers Josh Jackson I do agree with Rick, I think the Lakers are going to throw a curve and not pick the player with low floor, I think Lonzo is better than what I saw before. He seems like he could be Rubio esque, and that's a fun player who could succeed in the right situation, while Josh Jackson just looks like everything a not-great-shooting-but-scoring SF is supposed to be. I like the way he uses his body on the f court. He has an intuitiveness and a passion that are very likable.
3 Sixers Jayson Tatum He's a shooter and a well rounded offensive wing, something they lack, Jonny simmons's shooting and finishing make picking Lonzo too hazardous. The only downside is that he could be just a jack of all trades who never becomes anything special
4 Suns Lonzo Ball They want to run and don't mind 2 pg lineups. Could be fun, could be a less good Rubio esque player, but still fun
5 Kings De'Aron Fox They shouldn't take him, but he's just a haircut away from being a really fun and useful NBA guard
6 Magic Lauri Markannen -it took a long loving time to keep AAron Gordo at 4 for them but he put up really good numbers once it happened. They will pick someone who can shoot, whether it's Markannen or Monk
7 Timberwolves Jonathan Issac -Will make Towns at center a fait accompli and force him to learn defense and find his destiny. Could be a very good player with other good players around to give him some space to get up to speed
8 Knicks Dennis Smith - This is a love :kiss: to EvanTH, the Knicks will have their best pg since old Chauncey Billups, and their best scoring guard since Stephon Marbury. Smith and Porzingis pnrs could be unstoppable. might have to beg him to play defense, we'll see.
9 Mavs Malik Monk - BPA and absolutely could score 20 points per game for them. Franky N is cool and all but they have their stopgap pg in Yogi Ferrel, so they can go bpa
10 Kings OG Anuboby Already drafted PG, have tons of young bigs already, will go for the upside and potential pick, Donovan Mitchell looks like a backup and Anuboby doesn't
11 Hornets Zach Collins Frank is a bust and they seem to like the white big men
12 Pistons Frank Nickatina - A guy who's really uninspiring on the tape against pros and really awesome on the U18. He's sort of a mirror version of Reggie Jackson, pretty decent athlete with freak arms, but he loves to pass instead of looking for his own, plays defense instead of not playing defense. His ceiling is a Dante Exum who can actually run an offense. I should say Jarret Allen because he could develop and maybe push Drummond, but Reggie Jackson's long term health is a question, and Ish Smith is awesome but he's a backup down to his soul. The coach is the GM, he'll pick this man if he's available. I didn't purposefully leave him unpicked to this point

13 Nuggets Jarret Allen their coach is a defense guy at heart and they'll go for someone to pair with Jokic and make up for his lackings, in the real draft if Allen is gone,
I think they could draft OG or Ike Anigbogu because of their defensive potential.
14 Heat Donovan Mitchell - The heat will somehow take this inflated draft value due to wingspan guy who doesn't do anything that well and make him a solid three point shooter and defender somehow

15 Blazers Ike Anigbogu - developmental defense focused center who could be the desperate bucket mover collecting rain from their leaky defensive roof
16 Bulls Justin Jackson - From Bulls fans I've learned that the bulls like unathletic upperclassmen and are stupid
17 Bucks Hamadou Diallo - Seems like the sort of quirky but intriguing prospect the bulls like. Maybe Bam Adebadayo, but with Giannis at 4, I think its less likely, and they really need more scoring from 2/3

18 Pacers Terrance Ferguson -- They want to run and shoot threes. He runs and shoots threes. He is Terrence Ross's doppelganger in basketball style and physical talent. He could develop and learn how to use his incredible jumpiness and agility into basketball skills beyond Terrence Ross's, but he might not even reach T Ross's level.
19 Hawks Harry Giles - GM is now not the coach and they'll roll the dice on pedigree. If not him then someone else from a big school
20 Blazers - Bam Adebadayo - could well be a starter in a couple years or more possibly a solid 3rd big for a long time

21 Thunder - Wesley Iwundu I feel like they always take an under the radar guy with one stand out skill, this fits. I feel like they would take Rodions Kurucs but they'd feel shamed taking euros with their first pick two years in a row and not do it, unconciously.If not him then a non power conference pg
22 Nets Isaiah Hartenstein - His shooting would be a nice compliment, he has the potential to be great, truly great, but it's a gamble
23 Raptors Frank Jackson - A backup guard after they decide not to re-sign Kyle Lowry (Just kidding, real pick, Jaron Blossomgame, length, potential, not good in college)

24 Jazz - TJ Leaf seems like a spursy sort of player, and that's what they wanted in Diaw, a big who facilitates for all their scoring wings and possibly shoots. Otherwise, whichever pg they like
25 Magic - Rodions Kurucs, a second chance at a scoring wing after poor Mario H was murdered
26 Blazers - PJ Dozier a long back up combo guard so that they can attempt lineups with one of their two starting guards on the bench and have a non horrible awful defense, situationally
27 Nets Edmond Sumner - A guard who plays the run and fun style that they want to play, and has a super high ceiling. The exact sort of gamble they need to make. I'm tied between he and Luke Kennard, because Kennard seems like a Shawn Marks Spurs Culture and Shooting guy. They'll make this reach because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. He could be a really good scoring pg, a starter, or he might just be one of several super athletic pgs who can't shoot who enter the NBA and then can't make layups, and just bounce around before leaving for China, a big bust.
28 Lakers Sindarius Thornwell - They need some toughness and fighting spirit, this plus Jackson would give them 2 tough team oriented players to get their high upside prospects in position to succeed, also gives them size. His shooting might be a mirage, if it isn't, he could really do something
29 Spurs Jordan Bell - the spurs will of course get the toolsy, intense, cares about basketball, not a perfect fit or prototypical guy and make him fit. Desperate for rim protection and athleticism in the frontcourt
30 Jazz John Collins - Mocks have him going much higher but, :shrug:, same goes for patton

I think I would push all the euros up about 4 picks but they didn't come to mind as easily as i've watched less of them except for Nickatina and Hartenstein.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 19, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like your mock more than mine because I let draftexpress ranking talk me out of a lot of guys I like that you went ahead and picked anyway.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jayson Tatum nooooooo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Someone wants to go to Sacramento ?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Eh, this was the "competency" draft, you draft BPA top 5 if you're competent. Len is bad, Bender has potential that they shouldn't give up on, but it was difficult to have on the floor a lot last season, so there are minutes at PF/C even with Chriss being Better Than SAS Projected.

I wasn't knocking your picks just chuckling at the Dragan pick

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Watched video on Jackson and he really does look like the he should go 2 or 3. He does a weird motion with his arms on his j tho. Obviously not as strange as ball. I don't even understand Balls shot. What the gently caress. How does that even happen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lonzo tanking down the draft would be hilarious as long as the cameras keep cutting to LaVar

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I like that just because I want to see Lavar Ball on Shark Tank.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

I will agree with you if your high floor is "an NBA player."

When like 60% of people bust out of the league extremely quick in these drafts, a floor of "career NBAer" is pretty drat high imo. But that's pulling strings. I'd say that if you're a team like the 76ers or Suns who just straight up need talent then he will look pretty enticing.

But who are we kidding, Magic is bad at his job and is taking him #2.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isn't perlinka installed as gm by now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Lonzo tanking down the draft would be hilarious as long as the cameras keep cutting to LaVar

I don't see how he would get past the Kings.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/nba-draft-mock-projections-history-average-best-player-available-lakers-celtics-051817

Thought this was interesting, they took the averaged stats of each first round pick over the past 30 years and found a player that had averaged those same stats to give an expectation for what you're getting at that pick.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Mo Bamba committed to Texas.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/865222072183672833

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

My very stupid opinion is that Ainge is addicted to collecting assets, so the Sixers should give him their #3 pick this year and their pick next year and Okafor or whatever to move up to #1 for Fultz

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I'm surprised Texas hasn't done better in the one-and-done era. I'd love to spend a year in Austin loving around and eating migas

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dphi posted:

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/nba-draft-mock-projections-history-average-best-player-available-lakers-celtics-051817

Thought this was interesting, they took the averaged stats of each first round pick over the past 30 years and found a player that had averaged those same stats to give an expectation for what you're getting at that pick.

Not a very good method but some really funny results.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

dphi posted:

Kinda neat but I'm curious what, if any, rigor went into those "averages." Maybe just average WS/48 or something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Kinda neat but I'm curious what, if any, rigor went into those "averages." Maybe just average WS/48 or something.

Reading Hard

quote:

For this exercise, we used win shares, win shares per-48 minutes, value over replacement player, and box-score plus-minus — four single-number advanced metrics — to come up with a statistical profile for the "average player" for each slot over the past 30 years, then scoured the NBA record books to find a player who best matched that stat line.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
It's in the article, WS, WS/48, VORP, BPM

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Fast Luck posted:

My very stupid opinion is that Ainge is addicted to collecting assets, so the Sixers should give him their #3 pick this year and their pick next year and Okafor or whatever to move up to #1 for Fultz

lol

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Fast Luck posted:

That seems like an overpay for a guy who's outlook is 'very probably going to be a really good player', but not 'virtual lock franchise player' a la Anthony Davis pre-draft.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I figured it's stupid but I think the Sixers are going to be fighting for the 8 seed next season and not at the top of the lottery. Fultz is an astronomically better fit for the team than someone like Josh Jackson

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

Watched video on Jackson and he really does look like the he should go 2 or 3. He does a weird motion with his arms on his j tho. Obviously not as strange as ball. I don't even understand Balls shot. What the gently caress. How does that even happen.

I had to get used to watching it, it's this weird scoop up when he brings the ball up. I thought he would get blocked a lot but it didn't really happen.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 19, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

tanglewood1420 posted:

That seems like an overpay for a guy who's outlook is 'very probably going to be a really good player', but not 'virtual lock franchise player' a la Anthony Davis pre-draft.
How many Anthony Davis' are there? And there's no way you would accept that trade if you actually had one of those virtual lock franchise players in the draft. Fultz is above average even by #1 pick standards and the #1 pick is some big time value.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Really doubt that pick is going anywhere. They're going to try to lure Hayward and keep it. I don't think the Butler or George things are likely to happen at all

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Cool Buff Man posted:

Really doubt that pick is going anywhere. They're going to try to lure Hayward and keep it. I don't think the Butler or George things are likely to happen at all

I think if the trade was going to happen it would have happened this trade deadline. Bulls/pacers really overplayed their hand on butler/PG if they wanted to move them for good assets this year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

morestuff posted:

I'm surprised Texas hasn't done better in the one-and-done era. I'd love to spend a year in Austin loving around and eating migas

"I'm John Calipari/Coach K here come to my basketball school where you can play against NBA athletes that visit all the time and benefit from the best basketball facilities illegal boosting can buy"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

Isn't perlinka installed as gm by now.

The Lakers are a complete unknown at the moment. Their draft guru is still employed (for now, I wouldn't be surprised to see him join his dad in Golden State eventually, unless he's sticking around for a shot to run the Lakers when Johnson explodes). And Mitch Kupchak is possibly still advising them???? This has been reported but I don't know why he would??? He was at the combine but no one knows who he was working for. But anyway this would be 2/3 of a great drafting team that had no problem saying no to what the vocal, drooling Lakers fans wanted.

If everyone is in place and being allowed to do their job, the Lakers should still be pretty good at drafting. But for all we know Magic is just going to barge in and say he wants Lonzo and Frank Mason and that's that. Nobody knows what's going to happen.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

The Lakers are a complete unknown at the moment. Their draft guru is still employed (for now, I wouldn't be surprised to see him join his dad in Golden State eventually, unless he's sticking around for a shot to run the Lakers when Johnson explodes). And Mitch Kupchak is possibly still advising them???? This has been reported but I don't know why he would??? He was at the combine but no one knows who he was working for. But anyway this would be 2/3 of a great drafting team that had no problem saying no to what the vocal, drooling Lakers fans wanted.

If everyone is in place and being allowed to do their job, the Lakers should still be pretty good at drafting. But for all we know Magic is just going to barge in and say he wants Lonzo and Frank Mason and that's that. Nobody knows what's going to happen.

Kupchak may be doing what McCloughan does in the NFL when he drinks his way out of a job, scouting as an independent contractor and selling his opinion to existing front offices.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

"I'm John Calipari/Coach K here come to my basketball school where you can play against NBA athletes that visit all the time and benefit from the best basketball facilities illegal boosting can buy"

This bit has nothing on Texas though. Even if it all trickles down through their currently bad football program.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

best basketball facilities illegal boosting can buy"

:rolleyes:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Have you seen the dorms the Kentucky players live in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Have you seen how many fans Kentucky has? Assuming Kentucky cheats misses the point entirely. They don't have to cheat.

• Locked thread