Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Drone posted:

Shame Home Soil is pretty forgettable except for one thing.

UGLY BAGS OF MOSTLY WATER.

Mods, can we get the thread title changed to:

quote:

Star Trek: UGLY BAGS OF MOSTLY WATER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

King Hong Kong posted:

The soundtrack is one of the things I hate most about JJ Trek whereas I've watched TMP just for the soundtrack.

Like almost everything else about those films, the best part of the scores are the bits that sound like they're riffing on stuff from the original movies. The best parts of Beyond's soundtrack where the parts that sounded like James Horner, the actual JJTrek theme sounds like something Danny Elfman banged out in 1993 for another Keaton-Batman sequel that never got made

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gently caress you all, London Calling from Into Darkness is amazing.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Timby posted:

:frogout:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Things from a terrible, bad, bad, terrible, really really not good movie can be good.

That's one of them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zesty posted:

I didn't care to play Star Trek Online at all, but I think they really nailed the music for a Star Trek video game. I appreciate they did their own thing and didn't ape other themes other than the opener here.

I love the opening theme for STO. It's Star Trek through and through.

You're right, the music in general in the game is incredibly good.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Haven't we been over this? STO is its own thing outside the films or TV. But because of CBS/Paramount's stupid legal separation the TV shows can't reference anything in the films (of course the films can reference the TV shows because the entire franchise is a reference to a TV show). I was under the impression that this was explicitly given as the reason the new show isn't set in the Kelvin timeline.

So CBS have two choices - set the show at the end of the timeline but massively ignore established canon (with the fanbase least likely to accept that) or set the show at an earlier time.

It is its own thing, but they still have to negotiate for rights to reference things. They started off with the CBS TV rights (minus TAS, probably), and negotiated with Paramount for movie references. Which is what I'm saying... it's entirely possible for CBS to negotiate with Paramount for references. They've done it in the past to use the costumes from the movies, it's not outside of the realm of possibility for them to get the rights to reference the destruction of Romulus. They both work together as it stands for rights for the comics, too.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kazinsal posted:

It's weird how the games often get this right and fail at just about everything else. Star Trek Legacy also had a pretty great soundtrack. Maybe the best part of that game, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikKUofk-C0c

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really like Devil's Due. I think I like it even more in the face of the new Discovery trailer. The right blend of moralizing without being too heavy handed in it (though Devil's Due in particular toes that line a bit much,) good Data stuff, Picard gets one of his all too rare Kirk moments (the trial) and the solution to that weeks problem is clever without being tied to the Prime Directive or some bullshit logical leap.

It's the quintessential non-important Trek episode; fun time, good sci-fi, good fable, just an enjoyable forty five minutes that leave you feeling good for the rest of the night.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The thing that bugs me about the games (and, often, the merchandise) is how often they screw up iconic imagery that should be simple to reproduce. Transporter effects, for instance, seldom look like any iteration of the show, even in games that (a) prerender everything anyway or (b) have the processing power to render the effects live. Or you get a comm badge toy, and pressing it makes a sound that is nothing like the familiar chirp. This isn't trying to get a performance out of Patrick Stewart that doesn't sound like they put him in a sound booth with a list of lines and asked him to just read it through once, even though that's what they did. This is straight up 'put the WAV file in the microchip'. And 'don't cheap out on the license', I guess.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Orv posted:

I really like Devil's Due. I think I like it even more in the face of the new Discovery trailer. The right blend of moralizing without being too heavy handed in it (though Devil's Due in particular toes that line a bit much,) good Data stuff, Picard gets one of his all too rare Kirk moments (the trial) and the solution to that weeks problem is clever without being tied to the Prime Directive or some bullshit logical leap.

It's the quintessential non-important Trek episode; fun time, good sci-fi, good fable, just an enjoyable forty five minutes that leave you feeling good for the rest of the night.

Um, I think you'll find that is, in fact, bad, because it features Fek'lhr, guardian of Gre'thor, land of the dishonored dead, despite Day of the Dove explicitly stating that Klingons have no "devil". :smugbert:

TNG Season Four :swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

London Calling really reminds me of another track I heard recently (or vice versa, honestly).

FredMSloniker posted:

Or you get a comm badge toy, and pressing it makes a sound that is nothing like the familiar chirp.

Oh, and there's a red light on it for no reason (I assume you're talking about the Playmates TNG communicator).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

Haven't we been over this? STO is its own thing outside the films or TV. But because of CBS/Paramount's stupid legal separation the TV shows can't reference anything in the films (of course the films can reference the TV shows because the entire franchise is a reference to a TV show). I was under the impression that this was explicitly given as the reason the new show isn't set in the Kelvin timeline.

So CBS have two choices - set the show at the end of the timeline but massively ignore established canon (with the fanbase least likely to accept that) or set the show at an earlier time.

They've got special permission now for some elements, but back in the day STO operated under the same rules as all Prime Universe spinoff media. And they were able to reference the Romulan supernova and Romulans having pointy needle ships specifically because those elements came out of the Star Trek: Countdown comic, the crossover prequel comic before Trek 09 that was set in the prime universe.

My point is, it's weird and complicated, so who knows. But for a full-on TV series, I expect CBS and Paramount would sort out a deal anyway. They both want the franchise to succeed.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The_Doctor posted:

London Calling really reminds me of another track I heard recently (or vice versa, honestly).

Oh, and there's a red light on it for no reason (I assume you're talking about the Playmates TNG communicator).

I had one of those. It was half the size of the shuttle toy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Unironic STO players are the loving worst. All the music in that game is generic space adventure fare because they don't have the rights for anything iconic or the money for actually good videogame composers like Inon Zur or Marty O'Donnell who can do something truly original. The stuff that plays when you first visit DS9 in the story is trying so hard to be as grand and uplifting as the real DS9 theme it's a bad joke. That whole game is like off-brand Star Trek muzak.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

McSpanky posted:

they don't have the rights for anything iconic

I definitely heard the Kirk vs. Spock fight music from "Amok Time" in one of the missions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Unironic STO players are the loving worst. All the music in that game is generic space adventure fare because they don't have the rights for anything iconic or the money for actually good videogame composers like Inon Zur or Marty O'Donnell who can do something truly original. The stuff that plays when you first visit DS9 in the story is trying so hard to be as grand and uplifting as the real DS9 theme it's a bad joke. That whole game is like off-brand Star Trek muzak.

You play a MMO and don't turn off all its music?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Coming of Age and I don't think it explains why the boy steals the shuttle or why he can't fly it if he's "highly trained in shuttlecraft."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Coming of Age and I don't think it explains why the boy steals the shuttle or why he can't fly it if he's "highly trained in shuttlecraft."

It's a season one B plot, the answer starts with b and ends with ad episode.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Did anyone buy the TNG PS4 theme? Did they lift the music from Warhawk from PS3?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tunicate posted:

You play a MMO and don't turn off all its music?

Of course, but it's the subject at hand. And some TOS tracks snuck in with the TOS-themed expansion last year, though that was about six years too late and a teeny tiny part of the whole game anyway. Anyone who claims STO is anywhere near the level of even a mediocre Voyager episode is selling you a bill of goods.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If there are any gif artists lurking about, could an avatar-sized gif of Gowron turning and grinning at Duras during Reunion get made? Zoom on his head after the turn optional, I don't really know what's involved in making that look good.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Because teenager. He didn't make it into Starfleet Academy, so he kind of flipped out and stole a shuttle. He had a vague plan of signing on with a pirate freighter, or something like that. And even though he'd made it through 24th-century Driver Ed, he still managed to do something stupid and almost crash within the first two minutes. Translate it to real life and it's still plausible: distraught over some rejection or other, a teenager takes his Dad's car with a vague plan to drive to Alaska and sign on with a lobstering boat, but he crashes it before he's made it three miles.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Not getting the love for STO's story. It's the worst excesses of terrible fanfic and does little but rehash storylines from old episodes. Only thing it's missing is the shipping of characters for the true lovely fanfic experience.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
What's the Trek book to read if you just finally finished watching DS9 and are mostly left with a sense of JAKE DESERVES BETTER

Sisko didn't even say anything to him what the dang hell

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 20, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Space Hamlet posted:

What's the Trek book to read if you just finally finished watching DS9 and are mostly left with a sense of JAKE DESERVES BETTER

Sisko didn't even say anything to him what the dang hell

Er, novel or non-fiction?

The pick-up point from What You Leave Behind, novel-wise, would be a book called Avatar, which is the two-parter "relaunch" series starter.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Drone posted:

Er, novel or non-fiction?

The pick-up point from What You Leave Behind, novel-wise, would be a book called Avatar, which is the two-parter "relaunch" series starter.

Yeah fiction, I need the scoop on Sisko's return to wash that taste out. Thanks, I'll look that one up

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The_Doctor posted:

"Dermal Sensor Touchpad", or, as it's sometimes known, "a button"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Orv posted:

It was also one of the two recycled Phase II scripts!

(The other one was Season 2's The Child.)

But yeah, it's a fun episode. I like it too.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Space Hamlet posted:

Yeah fiction, I need the scoop on Sisko's return to wash that taste out. Thanks, I'll look that one up

The best of the post-show bunch is A Stitch In Time, if you like Garak, and if you don't like Garak I don't even want to know you.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Mukaikubo posted:

The best of the post-show bunch is A Stitch In Time, if you like Garak, and if you don't like Garak I don't even want to know you.

Yeah. Garak's backstory would have been something really easy to gently caress up but Robinson actually writes a pretty compelling novel while answering basically every question about Garak's past.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

Interestingly, the novel is written by the guy who played Garak:
"Robinson recalled the process which lead to the writing of the novel: " I started writing about Garak because, coming to the Star Trek franchise and being cast as an alien, a Cardassian, I had no idea what that was. I barely know about Human beings. But then suddenly to be cast as an alien... it was a challenge. So I decided to write about the character and create the world of the character and I did this in the form of a diary that Garak kept: every day he would write about his experiences and so forth. And then I started going to conventions, like this one, and I started reading from the diary and the fans, the audiences loved it. So I started writing more, and I started crafting it more and, like a lot of people, I've always wanted to write a novel! That's when I started working into a novel. Then the people at Simon and Schuster, the publisher, agreed to let me do it, and it was a bit of a big deal because I was the first actor to write a novel without what they call a ghost writer, or with someone else writing it for me. Because I wanted to write it by myself, I didn't want anybody else writing it."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In the ST post-DS9 novels, Garak is currently the head of the Cardassian Union

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

You mean shadow ruler, surely.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Arglebargle III posted:

You mean shadow ruler, surely.

That would be Elim.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

FlamingLiberal posted:

To be honest that makes me really mad. His novel makes a point to talk about how his legacy is toxic and the best thing for everyone is him living out the rest of his life in obscurity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

To be honest that makes me really mad. His novel makes a point to talk about how his legacy is toxic and the best thing for everyone is him living out the rest of his life in obscurity.
They do go into that. He reluctantly gets drawn into the Cardassian government as the Ambassador to the Federation, and eventually he runs for office

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Of course, but it's the subject at hand. And some TOS tracks snuck in with the TOS-themed expansion last year, though that was about six years too late and a teeny tiny part of the whole game anyway. Anyone who claims STO is anywhere near the level of even a mediocre Voyager episode is selling you a bill of goods.

Hey at least if people are trying to encourage you to play a Star Trek MMO it's probably not because you yourself are an in-game commodity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Catching up:

Discovery trailer looks okay - I'm just not the type to care much about uniforms, bridge design, or whatever as long as it doesn't look ridiculous - but nothing to get really excited about either.

You should watch all the Stargates but I think I'm the one guy who liked Universe.

Music chat: I will agree that the Voyager theme is probably going to be the best of past and future Treks. Even without the visuals you can feel the exploration happening. DS9's theme is great too, feels like something that would play during some grand reveal of a really important piece of work, but it never really felt connected to the show like Voyager's did.

The best Star Trek novel is "How Much For Just the Planet?" because there are random musical numbers and it ends with (some of) the Enterprise crew getting into a pie throwing fight with Klingons.