Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Triskelli posted:

That's super cool, but is it possible to tinker with the files to add actual drums and horns for when the ability fires?

Maybe? I don't know much (anything) about audio modding, and CA uses some weird sound format. It's probably doable, but the sounds would have to somehow be converted to the format they're using and then added to the game first.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Oh poo poo, how did you modify accuracy with the elven horn-blower? I wanted to add that to a dwarf lord talent but couldn't find it anywhere.

There's a full list of the modifiable unit stats in the aptly named modifiable_unit_stats_tables table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well crossbows are what, 1/3 the price of a wizard and don't need special buildings? I made a mistake with that comparison. A unit of reiksguard would probably be a better comparison, no?

Also, I don't think a wizard is even equal to a unit of basic infantry in melee.

In any event, I never bring wizards if I care about a fight's resolution. It's still fun to sling fireballs and drop scythes on dudes or net dudes inches away from a cannon which is really what bringing magic is about.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Play with a magic boost mod like gejnors, suddenly wizards are fun AND tactically important instead of....neither in vanilla

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Wallet posted:

Maybe? I don't know much (anything) about audio modding, and CA uses some weird sound format. It's probably doable, but the sounds would have to somehow be converted to the format they're using and then added to the game first.

There's a full list of the modifiable unit stats in the aptly named modifiable_unit_stats_tables table.

Playing around with it, it looks like those only work for abilities, not traits. I'll have to make a map wide lord ability unlocked by a trait for it to work.

Which is doable! Thanks for the help!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Playing around with it, it looks like those only work for abilities, not traits. I'll have to make a map wide lord ability unlocked by a trait for it to work.

Which is doable! Thanks for the help!

If you're using PFM, you might want to take a look at Dave in the Assembly Kit just for checking tables. You won't see it in PFM because it's generated or something, but if you look in Dave there is a table with all of the bonus values you can assign directly to traits (accuracy isn't in there). You can also find a list of available values for any given column in a table by looking at it in Dave and clicking on Schema. Dave also has a search function that actually works properly unlike PFM's.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 19, 2017

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

IMHO about magic, there is a cheat mod that removes magic limitations from the winds, making you only limited by the cooldowns. It is a very fun way to experiment with magic as it is in the game

Empire campaign questions:

- anyone bothers with cannons in reikland? I decided to have'em early because wissenland is usually a turn 50 or something affair for me, and mortars early on make a fuckton of difference

- what is a good midgame army composition for empire? I figure a couple of crossbows, riflemen, 3 mortars, a mix of halberds and swordsmen and reiksguard (if possible) should hold pretty well until you get enough mass for demigryphs/cannons/halberds to murder chaos, but might be a tad too expensive

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Wallet posted:

If you're using PFM, you might want to take a look at Dave in the Assembly Kit just for checking tables. You won't see it in PFM because it's generated or something, but if you look in Dave there is a table with all of the bonus values you can assign directly to traits (accuracy isn't in there). You can also find a list of available values for any given column in a table by looking at it in Dave and clicking on Schema. Dave also has a search function that actually works properly unlike PFM's.

Yeah, Dave is a pretty powerful tool. Nearly everything I did in my Dawi lord blue skill overhaul was self taught by right clicking and finding dependencies. It is a shame it makes terrible mod files that require a lot of cleanup to ensure compatibility with other mods.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 19, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
DAVE is only reallt needed for two things: Finding where things are and making start pos mods since it seems impossible to make those in PFM.

Atleast thats been my experience.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

dead comedy forums posted:

IMHO about magic, there is a cheat mod that removes magic limitations from the winds, making you only limited by the cooldowns. It is a very fun way to experiment with magic as it is in the game

Empire campaign questions:

- anyone bothers with cannons in reikland? I decided to have'em early because wissenland is usually a turn 50 or something affair for me, and mortars early on make a fuckton of difference

- what is a good midgame army composition for empire? I figure a couple of crossbows, riflemen, 3 mortars, a mix of halberds and swordsmen and reiksguard (if possible) should hold pretty well until you get enough mass for demigryphs/cannons/halberds to murder chaos, but might be a tad too expensive

Your army composition well and truly depends on who it is your fighting. Which I know is cheap to say. Still a general "This is good" build for me is

3-4 Ranks of Swordsmen (1 being the Sigmar Sons)
2-4 Ranks of Spearmen/Halberdiers (Depends on how much Anti-Large/Armor Piercing you're fighting.
4 Ranks of either Crossbowmen or Handgunners (If facing Low Armor or High Armor factions)
4 Artillery, I tend, for the mid-game to go 2 Helstorm and 2 Great cannons. But typically go for the one depending on what it is you're fighting. Lot of blobs with no armor? Helstorm. Large enemies? Cannons. Mortar's also work on unarmored armies like the Vampires.
Lord
Wizard (Life, Shadow and Beasts are good)
2 Ranks of Cavalry. At your point in the game, it's likely Franz's starting Reiksguard and Zintlers Reiksguard.

Your typical battle line will keep a spear on each flank, with 3-4 Swords in the middle to serve as your Anvil. You might want to keep two Spears in the back to protect your Artillery from Rear charges and protect your Skirmishers, but if you wish to be aggressive, move them to the sides to swing in as the flank on any Large units. Life wizards are great here since their primary spell can gently caress up clumps and it also slows units down. Depending on your Skirmishers, you'll either deploy in Checkerboard, or just keep them behind the line. If you're using Handgunners, once the fighting is done, move them rounds like your hammer, and shoot into the backs of enemies, that'll rout them quicker. Use your wizards to provide support. I find Life and Shadow to be amazing in this regard. Life, for healing your troops and their primary spell slowing units down (Making it easier to hit them) and Shadow for, again, a primary spell that slows units in a large area, and DoT's them. Use it on charging cavalry or the enemies main line so you can pound them with your Artillery.

Your Lord is variant depending on how you built them. I tend to make one general an immediate recruiter (and slap them with a General with the empire for their Recruitment skills.) Obviously Franz is a great Duelist character and will kill anyone he's fighting if you build him that way. Otherwise, Arch-Lectors are tough as gently caress, and Volkmar is powerful in his own regard.

But really, it's all dependent on which army you're facing. Vampires typically wont require you to bring Handgunners, so stick to Crossbows. Empire's only Large is going to be Pistolier's and Outriders, since the game rarely builds Empire Knights and even rarer Reiksguard. Until you get to the point where they'll deploy those, that Anti-Large is fairly pointless (And you should have conquered the Empire by that point.) In the case of Bretonia though? You should have far more spears, as they will be cavalry heavy. Don't bother with Pistoliers or Outriders yourself. They're fine to use if you have them but they aren't good units. If you're fighting the Norscans, I'm fairly certain the majority of their forces are unarmoured, but Chaos will have a lot of armor, by then you need to have Greatswords, Handgunners and Halberdiers.

Remember that your cavalry is all shock cavalry, you ram it into the enemy and then pull back. As you make them rout, you free up your battle-line to swing around and chain-route the enemy. If you're determined to get someone off the field, even as they route, send your Cavalry to harass them.

And that's basic for Empire Mid-game. Welcome to those formative years where you're simultaneously building an army and trying to spiff up your shiny new provinces. And when you confederate, the enemy AI has an army comprised of 8 Spearmen, 8 Swordsmen and 3 Pistoliers.

EDIT: As for the cannons in Reikland? Cannons are just good units, so go for it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yeah, Dave is a pretty powerful tool. Nearly everything I did in my Dawi lord blue skill overhaul was self taught by right clicking and finding dependencies. It is a shame it makes terrible mod files that require a lot of cleanup to ensure compatibility with other mods.

Yeah, it loving blows for actually making mods. I make everything in PFM, but Dave is useful for looking poo poo up. I actually found out by accident the other day that some tables in Dave have comments in their headers on what values actually do, some of which are quite illuminating.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 20, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Well with Magic, my metric is this:

Take a typical artillery piece, used decently. It will account for a pretty good number of kills, and definitely be an asset, often a force multiplier, in most battles. I think that magic should give the equivalent damage output of artillery, but still be limited to Winds of Magic.

This makes Magic become very unique; it runs out of gas pretty quickly, but during the time you have a 'round chambered' so to speak, it is devastating. Some spells are like this; Wind of Death can cause an insane number of casualties if you line it up right. Fate of Bijuana/Rune of Wrath and Ruin decimate small tough squads. But far too many are subpar. As mentioned before, Fireball does less damage than a Luminark, even though the platform (Bright Wizard) costs almost as much, for far less 'ammo' at your disposal.

I actually started using Luminarks more thanks to some feedback from this thread, and I found them to be quite useful in their current state. They are devastating to single model units, but still quite decent in splashing magic jizz all over clumps of models as well. Given the similar cost, I think a wizard should be comparable in effectiveness, and I would be perfectly fine if instead of the steady salvoes of artillery, they basically frontload their damage. The advantage of this is that it puts a lot of pressure on the player to make those shots count, because they can actually sway a battle if casted effectively. This also makes wizards actually dangerous, and worthwhile to kill quickly. And what better way to kill a wizard in combat than with another wizard? If I had the time/knowlege on how to mod, I'd greatly crank up the damage of all the 'bolt' spells, extend the duration of the random moving vortex spells, and greatly increase the radius of the AoE Heavens spells. This gives you a toolkit that actually makes a meaningful effect in battle. Big monsters should be vulnerable to getting sniped by bolt spells. Hordes of chaff should get sandblasted away by vortexes. A player should have their mouse cursor hovering over some damage spell waiting for just the right moment to unleash it. To me, wizards are living artillery, and should be functionally just as effective.

Cataph's Closer to the Tabletop mod attempts to address this, as well as various skills. So far it is my go-to mod (though I need to try Gejnor's and compare them). One reason I like it is that not only does it moderately improve spells it also tweaks a lot of skills/legendary items. But even with all this and the Legendary Caster Lord mod (which gives you some utility caster abilities and spells unlocked already at level 1) several missions spamming Searing Doom/Golden Hounds of Ghenna, Final Transmutation, etc really didn't amount to all that much. As someone upthread mentioned, Volkmar's 'spells' end up being way more effective, because they affect so many of your units (its what makes runelords/priests so useful as well).

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Onmi posted:

good stuff

Thanks for the input, I figured out late army setups but a solid middle one was evading me

a conventional progression on how empire saves might go

lets see if I can confederate Wissenland to come back to imperial asskicking

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
New thread Title: Total War: Warhammer- KARL FRANZ KICKS rear end *6 turns later* This is a mess :negative:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

dead comedy forums posted:

Thanks for the input, I figured out late army setups but a solid middle one was evading me

a conventional progression on how empire saves might go

lets see if I can confederate Wissenland to come back to imperial asskicking

For me, the only advice I can offer is "Talk softly and carry a big stick." Except claiming Marienburg early, don't start poo poo if you aren't comfortable finishing it. It's turn 74 in my game, and due to the Vampire Counts in-fighting and not getting past the Moot, I was the one who had to break the Peace talks with Vlad. Add in Kislev surprisingly holding the north, I'm comfortable building a force and surrounding Sylvania before pushing in.

How many Lords do you typically run with? Having a second stack is very useful. An Arch-Lector makes a great second and try to confederate with Middenland for Boris Toddbringer.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Onmi posted:

For me, the only advice I can offer is "Talk softly and carry a big stick." Except claiming Marienburg early, don't start poo poo if you aren't comfortable finishing it. It's turn 74 in my game, and due to the Vampire Counts in-fighting and not getting past the Moot, I was the one who had to break the Peace talks with Vlad. Add in Kislev surprisingly holding the north, I'm comfortable building a force and surrounding Sylvania before pushing in.

How many Lords do you typically run with? Having a second stack is very useful. An Arch-Lector makes a great second and try to confederate with Middenland for Boris Toddbringer.

Arch Lectors are ridiculously tough. One of my earliest experiences using them is when I foolishly threw a high level archlector and his all Flagglant/crossbow army against a Beastmen doomstack. Most of the army got destroyed in short order but that one Arclector remained fighting half a beastmen army by himself for like five minutes, killing a Cygor and hordes of gors before the remaining Cygor/Gors eventually gently coaxed him into routing. The Beastmen couldn't finish the job even then and he survived to get his revenge a bit later on.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Luminark of Hysh is a great unit killed by it's dumb spinning behavior and LOS issues

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Speaking of Flaggelents, I mostly use them because for whatever reason, one of the Mod i'm using makes them reinforce in 1 turn globally, and they're good for building up armies in the north. Is it worth devoting the Red skills in Arch-Lector/Volkmar to them?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Probably vs undead because zombies don't have a lot of armor and the fearless means they're not affected by fear/terror. The red skills help to make them more powerful offensively which makes them more effective vs low armor targets.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I don't know if the game is loopy or if I'm just poo poo (probably both) but it's weird seeing a "Yeah you'll crush this battle" prediction and then the actual fight I almost die.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

what the gently caress are border princes doing on averland and stirland

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hot take: I think Dark Omen had cooler flagellants than this game

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Luminark of Hysh is a great unit killed by it's dumb spinning behavior and LOS issues

When it gets a shot off it's the greatest thing in the game. But yeah most battles it shoots maybe once and then spends the rest of the time spinning around, looking for LOS or otherwise just not firing.

i.e. not worth it, tanks are so much better when you can so easily reposition them

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Onmi posted:

Speaking of Flaggelents, I mostly use them because for whatever reason, one of the Mod i'm using makes them reinforce in 1 turn globally, and they're good for building up armies in the north. Is it worth devoting the Red skills in Arch-Lector/Volkmar to them?

The +Charge and Missile Protection abilities you get as endpoints are worth it, but I find the +12% Damage/speed skill is probably not worth taking over Honest Steel unless you're going super heavy with flaggelants.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

I don't know if the game is loopy or if I'm just poo poo (probably both) but it's weird seeing a "Yeah you'll crush this battle" prediction and then the actual fight I almost die.

Auto-resolve balance of forces is far from perfect, but it also depends on what difficulty you're playing on. Higher difficulties give significant bonuses to enemy units that aren't necessarily reflected by the balance of power thing.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/videos/1478404182234777/

Listen to that GODDAMNED MUSIC ITS GOOD OH GOD I WANT THE GAME NOWWWWWW

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Meh, the music in TWW hasn't done anything for me. It all just lacks any personality.

It would've been amazing if they brought Jeff Van Dyck back on board to give every race a really unique sound.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deakul posted:

Meh, the music in TWW hasn't done anything for me. It all just lacks any personality.

It would've been amazing if they brought Jeff Van Dyck back on board to give every race a really unique sound.

It is better than Rome 2 or Empire/Napoleon, but again Rome 2 had the worst music in the series.

Jeff Van Dyck worked with CA as recently as Alien: Isolation, so they probably still have a line with him. Maybe they're worried about their soundtrack sounding too similar to previous games, even though I'd pay for a DLC that gave the Rome Total War soundtrack for Total Warhammer.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I would be cool if someone just modded Med2's Aztec campaign music in for Lizardmen. I miss Jeff Van Dyck dearly, the soundtracks are really the only thing that have went noticeably downhill in the TW series for me.

seriously though, the Aztec soundtrack was loving awesome

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 20, 2017

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

At some point CA's game directors made a conscious decision to make their music as inconspicuous as possible. I've put nearly 300 hours in Warhammer and I can't think of a single memorable track. Richard Beddow is definitely a talented composer, but Total War doesn't strike me as a game helped by a muted score. But it has been 5 games since the last time JVD composed for the series so it's not changing anytime soon.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sasgrillo posted:

At some point CA's game directors made a conscious decision to make their music as inconspicuous as possible. I've put nearly 300 hours in Warhammer and I can't think of a single memorable track. Richard Beddow is definitely a talented composer, but Total War doesn't strike me as a game helped by a muted score. But it has been 5 games since the last time JVD composed for the series so it's not changing anytime soon.

Only three, he did the soundtrack for Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai. And while CA was doing Attila he was working on Alien Isolation's soundtrack, so they still have a working relationship.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's also weird that Attila actually had an awesome soundtrack so we know Beddow is capable of exotic sounds.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Deakul posted:

It's also weird that Attila actually had an awesome soundtrack so we know Beddow is capable of exotic sounds.

Maybe he just isn't familiar with the source material? There's no musical history from Warhammer to use as reference.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I would be cool if someone just modded Med2's Aztec campaign music in for Lizardmen. I miss Jeff Van Dyck dearly, the soundtracks are really the only thing that have went noticeably downhill in the TW series for me.

seriously though, the Aztec soundtrack was loving awesome

I could definitely see this as the soundtrack for the Lizards, with the chanting replaced by guttural roars or something.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wizards could be easier to unlock because hoooly poo poo aren't they extremely helpful with their blue skills

(as empire whenever I get one of the "good" ones I am like "welp extra income is good but he's better on the field")

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nasgate posted:

Maybe he just isn't familiar with the source material? There's no musical history from Warhammer to use as reference.

Considering how expy the races are, it isn't really harder than doing a Hollywood History style soundtrack just like in Rome and M2. Just in that link, slap Teutonic on Empire, Britain on Brets, except for the chanty or bagpipey bits, those are for dwarfs. Mordor theme for Chaos and/or VC, waily modern celtic music for elves. Aping the LotR soundtrack would not be a bad thing.

I think it'd be cool if HE and DE shared a score but just changed the temp, octave, and instruments used.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
poo poo yeah Jeff van Dyck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GObwIJyDJvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2VummwPzUY

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
JVD was a treasure to the Total War series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aZ4ogKXrhw

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

shogun 2 victory music owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg8cKGBc6dU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Theres a couple awesome vampire tracks in this game. Shame mannfreds trailer theme didnt get used more. Theres also some cool overworld stuff. Overall though it is pretty bland though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Shogun 2 music was great all around.

• Locked thread