Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Martytoof posted:

Well, the designs look cute at least.

The fox in the poster looks like an anthropomorphic Marty McFly in that getup.

"Mar-ty~! Something has to be done about the future! Everyone turned into animal people!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DoubleCakes posted:

"Mar-ty~! Something has to be done about the future! Everyone turned into animal people!!"

Me in an earlier scene:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I watched A Silent Voice. It's sweet and sad and very anime. Also that kid from Steven Universe has a guest role.

Martytoof posted:

Well, the designs look cute at least.

The fox in the poster looks like an anthropomorphic Marty McFly in that getup.
Marty McFly is human-shaped.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
so many good animated music videos out there, but here is one using an old b&w Betty Boop short that highlights how crazy some of that stuff could get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwrdHOu6vQ

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pentaro posted:

Marty McFly is human-shaped.

You know what I meant :colbert:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
More blurays for my collection :toot: I got 2 for the price of 1 on Ghibli blurays so I ordered Spirited and Howl's. Could have gotten more but I need to save money for my holiday.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

starkebn posted:

so many good animated music videos out there, but here is one using an old b&w Betty Boop short that highlights how crazy some of that stuff could get

This thing is m favorite thing. I do wonder, how much coke were these guys snorting? (The betty boop animators)

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

This thing is m favorite thing. I do wonder, how much coke were these guys snorting? (The betty boop animators)

The dancing ghost is at least just a rotoscope of Cab Calloway in the original cartoon ("Snow White"), but the rest... Pure indulgence on the part of an animator getting six months to do basically a complete vanity project?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CRINDY posted:

Today in Second Rate Animation Picked Up By Non-Major Studios:

Jim Gaffigan is... a goose! Releasing 4/20/18 (which is the same day as Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs, which will hopefully steamroll it) http://deadline.com/2017/05/duck-duck-goose-movie-release-date-open-road-1202095738/

https://transformativeworks.tumblr.com/post/155881012756/charlesoberonn-moreofahorse

Congrats to Tumblr user charlesoberonn on their screenplay getting picked up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ishikabibble posted:

The dancing ghost is at least just a rotoscope of Cab Calloway in the original cartoon

Who, to be fair, was probably snorting coke

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

starkebn posted:

Were the want ads for animators in the 1930s just "Must love Cab Calloway. Drug problem/bizarre fetish preferable"?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

Were the want ads for animators in the 1930s just "Must love Cab Calloway. Drug problem/bizarre fetish preferable"?

You saying you dont like Cab Calloway? Are we gonna have a problem, in this the Cab Calloway Cokehead Clubhouse?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

You all have one guess for who wrote the Captain Underpants Theme Song and if you get it wrong you were clearly never a 10 year old.

It's Weird Al.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
101 Dalmations: Jasper and Horace MVP characters

Cruela special mention

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Barudak posted:

You saying you dont like Cab Calloway? Are we gonna have a problem, in this the Cab Calloway Cokehead Clubhouse?

Of course not. He showed me how to kick that gong around. Hi-dee-hi-dee-hi-dee-hi.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The live action Beauty and the Beast film is still raking in cash and is just a tad over $1.2 billion worldwide and a tad short of $500 million domestic. That makes it the 8th biggest domestic film of all time and the 11th biggest film worldwide (unadjusted).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The live action Beauty and the Beast film is still raking in cash and is just a tad over $1.2 billion worldwide and a tad short of $500 million domestic. That makes it the 8th biggest domestic film of all time and the 11th biggest film worldwide (unadjusted).

God I hope the Emoji movie makes over $1 billion. I need it. Desire made flesh. :hellraiser:

Disney halts everything but Direct to DVD animated films and live-acts their entire backcatalog of animation - Dumbo starring a de-aged John Goodman and the crows are Will i. Am, Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Ice Cube and Joe Rogan. Pixar gets in on the live-action craze and starts a new studio to bring the Cars' Universe to life. 15 years of no new theater animation.

Dreamworks is the only big budget animation studio during this time, thanks to their continued success of the animated Fast & Furious crossover with the Minions - now a trilogy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

You all have one guess for who wrote the Captain Underpants Theme Song and if you get it wrong you were clearly never a 10 year old.

It's Weird Al.

That is basically perfect.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

God I hope the Emoji movie makes over $1 billion. I need it. Desire made flesh. :hellraiser:

Disney halts everything but Direct to DVD animated films and live-acts their entire backcatalog of animation - Dumbo starring a de-aged John Goodman and the crows are Will i. Am, Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Ice Cube and Joe Rogan. Pixar gets in on the live-action craze and starts a new studio to bring the Cars' Universe to life. 15 years of no new theater animation.

Dreamworks is the only big budget animation studio during this time, thanks to their continued success of the animated Fast & Furious crossover with the Minions - now a trilogy.

Live-action remake of Fantasia with a single epic overarching story featuring covers of the original songs by today's hottest acts.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It is, I'm consistently have been impressed with Captain Underpants

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

It's Weird Al.

This is the best movie theme song.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Gonna watch The Rescuers, so I have some context for Down Under later. Also gonna livetweet it here, because of course I am.

https://twitter.com/The_Shadow_Hog/status/866016518383030277

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ursula rules.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Feels like the prince emotes far more in that third picture than he does during the entire film.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

God has abandoned us.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bimmi posted:

God has abandoned us.

You'll get live action adaptations/reboots/re-imaginings/sequels of every classic Disney movie from here until the end of your life, you better get used to it. Even if the next 10 bomb horribly they've been covered bu BatB so they'll just keep pumping them out until they get another hit. And when they've completely mined their entire back catalogue they'll just start over again.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Time for a reverse Sweatbox with painstakingly animated executives swooping in and altering the script of an increasingly frustrated live-action production.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So yeah, Resciers was... okay, I guess? Competent enough, but it felt like there was a certain je ne sais quoi about it that put me off. Things like that close-up shot on the Rescue Aid Society's founder, as if that was a gag I was supposed to be laughing at that fell totally flat, or Bernard's running "oh no, 13?" beat that had absolutely no payoff. Also would've liked a more concrete fate for Medusa/Snoops; though I can at least surmise that Snoops got away (if in tattered clothing), Medusa's fate hanging on that tree was somewhat ambiguous.

I've gathered that Down Under is very different tonally, and that your mileage may vary whether it's better or worse than the first film for it. Kind of anticipating I'll fall into the "better" camp, but I'll have to watch it to find out...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

So yeah, Resciers was... okay, I guess? Competent enough, but it felt like there was a certain je ne sais quoi about it that put me off. Things like that close-up shot on the Rescue Aid Society's founder, as if that was a gag I was supposed to be laughing at that fell totally flat

More of a reference than a gag, I guess ...

quote:

Euripides is identified with theatrical innovations that have profoundly influenced drama down to modern times, especially in the representation of traditional, mythical heroes as ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances.

The tapestry showing him bandaging a lion's paw is of course a reference to Aesop's fable about the mouse and the lion.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 21, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bimmi posted:

God has abandoned us.

Fuuuck. They're going to keep making this poo poo. I didn't even like the "good" ones.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm looking forward to 2035 animated re-imagining of the Disney classic 2017 hit Beauty and the Beast

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Martytoof posted:

I'm looking forward to 2035 animated re-imagining of the Disney classic 2017 hit Beauty and the Beast

This time from the evil fairy's point of view!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

This time from the evil fairy's point of view!

With a roofies and rape allegory.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So yeah: count me in the "Down Under is Much Better" camp. Paced much better, not really any scenes that go nowhere (forgot to mention that pointless scene at the zoo in the first film, that could've been cut without losing anything from the plot), significantly better animation (though that's just natural for the passage of time).

Can't help but think it needed a bit more denouement - get Cody back together with his mourning mother, for instance, or go back and save all those trapped animals at McLeach's hideout - but not too many gripes with this one, nope.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Das Boo posted:

With a roofies and rape allegory.

I assume you're referring to the kiss scene from Maleficent where they make a token effort to make it less skeevy by having Prince Charming at least meet her beforehand and then go "Whoa that's kind of hosed up, I don't think I will" when told to kiss an unconscious girl but then had him do it anyway due to peer pressure :psyduck:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
IIRC, The Rescuers was originally supposed to exist in a shared universe with 101 Dalmatians, with the villain literally being Cruella DeVille, but they nixed it because they weren't sure if the public would really get the "shared universe" concept.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I assume you're referring to the kiss scene from Maleficent where they make a token effort to make it less skeevy by having Prince Charming at least meet her beforehand and then go "Whoa that's kind of hosed up, I don't think I will" when told to kiss an unconscious girl but then had him do it anyway due to peer pressure :psyduck:

Actually, I think it's the scene where Maleficent's wings are cut off and she wakes up and screams about her wings being gone. Then everyone who worked on the movie admitted that was supposed to represent her being raped as she loved and trusted the person who removed her wings without consent.

...That was such an awkward scene in that movie...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

IIRC, The Rescuers was originally supposed to exist in a shared universe with 101 Dalmatians, with the villain literally being Cruella DeVille, but they nixed it because they weren't sure if the public would really get the "shared universe" concept.

It was also supposed to get a TV series but when the second film was announced they morphed it into Chip And Dale Rescue Rangers instead, bringing in the chipmunk characters and giving them clothing. Chip's clothes were clearly modelled on Indiana Jones and Dale got a Hawaiin shirt as a nod to Magnum PI.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Actually, I think it's the scene where Maleficent's wings are cut off and she wakes up and screams about her wings being gone. Then everyone who worked on the movie admitted that was supposed to represent her being raped as she loved and trusted the person who removed her wings without consent.

...That was such an awkward scene in that movie...

Oh that's right, the other roofie scene.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

It's Weird Al.

Okay, as somebody who has no knowledge of Captain Underpants beyond there being a series called Captain Underpants, this is amazing and delightful.

And this is super depressing. We need Unmature to make a video essay on the animation ghetto and why live-action remakes are consistently terrible yet make billions simply living off the name of an animated movie that never got nearly as much money or respect from the public simply because it's animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain Underpants is gonna rule and I can't wait.