Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's pretty neat (and lethal) how Voltaic Phantoms electrify metal floors around them and disrupt nearby machinery, even recyclers and stuff. They also short out your Laboratory weapons, like the GLOO gun and the Q-Beam! They don't stop your security guns from firing, but I think they do make the electronic ammo-counters stop working. I need to see how viable it is to turn every corpse I can into a phantom under my control. I wonder if they'd last longer than turrets.

I noticed that turrets tend to break off-screen when you're away from their section for a while, unless you Fortify them. They're individually too flimsy to take on an advanced phantom one-on-one but if you have a couple of them in a choke point they can still make 'em pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's one skill I didn't use, creating phantoms.
Same, I think. Going to make an army.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
The ps4 demo got me hankerin' after a few days so I took that as a good sign and bought it for PC*...and subsequently played it for maybe 8 hours straight yesterday. Whole lotta fun, makes me feel like I'm playing Half-life for the first time again. Or something like that.

Hanging out on Talos rules. Anybody try this with vorpx?

*(I use a dualshock4 and weirdly, it controls way better on PC. ds4windows is just emulating an xbone controller though so I dunno where they screwed things up on the ps4 release)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The thing about Bioshock's hacking mini game is that if you don't want to play it, you can just spend the money and bypass it. Which is, of course, what I did on subsequent playthroughs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Palpek posted:

I'd say that this game might just have the worst map ever made for a game that actually uses a map.

Deus Ex:HR is up there.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Vishass posted:

Love this game while also rolling my eyes once a night when I am forced to revisit a previously cleared area filled with harder enemies, my turrets were all magically broken, and the game hard crashes.

The hard crashes really suck. But I loved how the game world was constantly changing so that no place was ever "cleared" and safe. Instead of methodically cleaning out rooms and sterilizing everything in typical "videogame" way, it actually felt like the Typhon were a constantly expanding threat that could never be defeated with combat alone.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I guess a decent amount of time in Descent kinda hardened me against the zero g sections but yeah the map for that section is just bizarre.

So I'm in the shuttle bay and I figured I'd progress by handing them some turrets. Except I don't know how they want them or where. I made a couple and found some more but I am still getting told they want turrets. I deployed them inside the makeshit base and still no dice. I'm on the verge of saying gently caress It. Whats the alt path out of there in case this is bugged for me?

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 19, 2017

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You have to deploy them right in front of the door. On the blue space.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Digirat posted:

The hacking mini game is not great but at least you don't have to play it every 30 seconds like in pipedreamshock

Prey also doesn't do the dumb thing the new deus ex games do either, where they make hacking something objectively better than just using the code/password you found, which means the mini game is old before you're even through the third level

I love that the design of this game does not encourage double-dipping for max efficiency, that was one of the many things that really messed me up in DXHR. Oh, you stealthed past those guys? Here's some XP, now you can go back and kill them for more XP. Oh, you found a secret passage through the vents? Here's some XP, now go back and hack the door for more XP

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dogen posted:

You have to deploy them right in front of the door. On the blue space.

:downs:

I placed them aiming correctly except a little further back and more tactically placed. Go me.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

the military operators show up and the most effective way of dealing with them is disabling a group and then doing several level 4 hacks in a row.

I mean, I found lobbing a recycler in the pile a lot quicker than hacking.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I just found Artemis' gold pistol. The wiki says it's a stronger version of the standard pistol but the stats look very similar to me. I'm currently comparing with a considerably upgraded pistol though so this might not be accurate. If I switch to this new pistol I'm losing a significant amount of weapon upgrades. Is it worth it? Is there actually any differences between it and a standard pistol?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Stun gun gets really fast and really strong with upgrades.

Gimbal lock posted:

Is there actually any differences between it and a standard pistol?

It's GOLD!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Gimbal lock posted:

I just found Artemis' gold pistol. The wiki says it's a stronger version of the standard pistol but the stats look very similar to me. I'm currently comparing with a considerably upgraded pistol though so this might not be accurate. If I switch to this new pistol I'm losing a significant amount of weapon upgrades. Is it worth it? Is there actually any differences between it and a standard pistol?
All of its base stats are better than the regular pistol's base stats, so given an equivalent investment of upgrades, it'll be a better gun.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

it has a higher base damage and higher damage once its fully upgraded.

Just keep it in your inventory and slowly upgrade it, or don't...

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Between the first two Bioshock games, all three Dead Space games, the recent Deus Ex games, and Prey, I think this is the worst one.

Alpha protocol's hacking is the absolute worst. Prey is super fun compared to that clusterfuck of a puzzle.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What a horrible quote out of context.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The only hacking game worse than Prey is Mass Effect: Andromeda's sudoku.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

What a horrible quote out of context.

Yeah drat, NoEyedSquareGuy's post takes on a whole different meaning if you cut out the one that it itself is quoting.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

mellowjournalism posted:

The ps4 demo got me hankerin' after a few days so I took that as a good sign and bought it for PC*...and subsequently played it for maybe 8 hours straight yesterday. Whole lotta fun, makes me feel like I'm playing Half-life for the first time again. Or something like that.

Hanging out on Talos rules. Anybody try this with vorpx?

*(I use a dualshock4 and weirdly, it controls way better on PC. ds4windows is just emulating an xbone controller though so I dunno where they screwed things up on the ps4 release)

Yeah, Talos looks so swank, I bet before everything went to hell it was a pretty nice place to work. I wonder if all TranStar facilities look that nice.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'd pay a few bucks for a Pre-Disaster Talos DLC.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

And what would you do? Play a mimic, sightseeing around the station while dutifully roleplaying TranStar coffee mugs?

...actually, that sounds great.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Considering the context, why a Talos DLC?

ENDGAME SPOILERS

Why not Elazar wanting to do a further test and placing you in her memories of the disaster/incident in Israel. Or having her play through her memories of what happened alongside Yu's journey, as she tried to save as many as she could and brought them to Cargo Bay. Now that they know it's got empathy, let's see how -much- empathy. Does it understand loyalty?

Alex wanting more conclusive data and letting you try out the fall of Transtar North scenario.

A post Talos DLC where Morgan, Alex, and the other survivors land on Earth/the Moon and have to figure out whats actually happening, giving us a bit more insight on what r!Morgan actually did and what actually happened on Talos 1.

Really though, if the devs are actually reading this, I want a new weapon DLC. Please for the love of god. This game was like 9/10 near perfect except for the fact I barely ever deviated my combat setup. I want a longer range weapon that isn't the QBeam. Fix up that Disc Launcher people found in the files and actually release it. It doesn't even need the cool quest it had. Just give me something else to play with.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
John Carpenter is enjoying the game:

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/status/865764284323708928

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

So, Tacoma

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

John Carpenter is a cool dude with good opinions.

He also does the voice over at the start of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

whaaat, john carpenter plays games? holy gently caress :aaaaa:

also yes he owns, I grew up on his movies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm enjoying the hell out of Prey, and finally managed to kill The Nightmare. I Q-Beamed his rear end :dukedog:. I appreciate an SA-X style bonus miniboss for you to stumble into anywhere and run the gently caress away from. I actually wish it was a little more aggressive and chased you through into other areas, because it's pretty easy to cheese by just booking it for the nearest adjacent department of the station to wait out the timer.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
In Psychotronics, there is a glowing resistor pack lying on the floor in a hallway. Is that used for anything?

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurzon posted:

In Plantronics, there is a glowing resistor pack lying on the floor in a hallway. Is that used for anything?

I think you have to carry that to the Power Plant, there's a slot missing a resistor there.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you have to carry that to the Power Plant, there's a slot missing a resistor there.

You probably could do that, but there are lots of ways of getting a replacement resistor closer to the site of the problem, and you have no particular obligation to fix the problem if you don't want to.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I presume that letting the Impostor chef kill himself with the recycler does not void the pacifist achievement?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Surprisingly, the Nightmare is more mobile than you'd think. If you go in a cramped area, it can just get down on all fours and sneak through. Which I appreciate, must have been, no pun intended, a nightmare to code.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Added to op! TY. John Carpenter owns.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 20, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Anti-Hero posted:

I presume that letting the Impostor chef kill himself with the recycler does not void the pacifist achievement?

Speaking of this, is there anyway to stop it? If so, what happens?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RatHat posted:

Yes, you can disarm traps, which might require Repair skills. He just keeps laughing and dies... of natural causes, I guess

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

RatHat posted:

If you disarm the recycler charge (above his head) then he commits suicide by poison (I think). If you stun him with the disruptor gun, then he will keep taunting you with radio messages as you explore the station even as he lies unconscious in the escape pod.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Getting my rear end kicked and super paranoid about misusing weapon mods and neuromods. Still having fun though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh sweet lord, there's more than one Nightmare on the station :stare:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BobKnob posted:

Getting my rear end kicked and super paranoid about misusing weapon mods and neuromods. Still having fun though.

Just use them. You can craft a lot of neuromods by the end (assuming you get the skill to harvest from dead Typh's) and ammo can also be crafted with a lot of resources. Or at least use your Gloo gun a lot with wrench, gloo ammo is super common and gloo+wrench will kill a lot of phantoms ez-pz.