Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

The Great Autismo! posted:

for whatever reason, this is the sentence that always makes me laugh the hardest

""It's way too ironic. Why doesn't the zoo simply just put the zookeeper in a cage with the sign "Gorilla" on its gate," Lanseyapingningliuxunqing added."

That article is a goldmine and also has this line:

"Similarly, the dog had been placed in the wolf enclosure to breed a hybrid wolf-dog, she said"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I was on the train and it stopped at a station and a mom got on, staring deeply into her lifeline phone. The doors closed and she looked around and didn't see her kid, who was dicking around on the other side of the door, in the station. She started banging on the windows and he looked up, started crying, ram around, and the train left. RIP little dude.

Earlier, I had been walking to go to the station when I had to go through one of those under-road tunnels. Three real estate dweebs in their matching uniforms and pompadour undercuts were chatting together. Two were sitting on the curb, on papers they had laid down, and another was sitting on a rental bike, one tire in the road, another on sidewalk. Bike guy looked up and saw me coming toward him. He frowned at me and pulled the bike up onto the sidewalk in a road block style and tried to rocker it back and forth based on the direction I was changing to try and get around him purposely blocking me. I kicked the back tire and he just stared at me like he had no clue what had just happened. The reptilian brain is strong here, with the fight or flight coming into play when confronted with terrifying things like people with different eyes and noses.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Surely you'd notice the (lack of) weight when you picked it up? Or did they put a rock in the middle of the box as well?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Grand Fromage posted:

These things specifically are because Chinese lacks a generic plural. You have to have a specific number to make a plural. That's why everything is the Four Inventions or Eight Great Sights or whatever.

That's really interesting. How do they go about translating foreign works with generic plurals? Are they actually assigning random numbers to everything?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
that is a new take on those fake sandwiches

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Xotl posted:

That's really interesting. How do they go about translating foreign works with generic plurals? Are they actually assigning random numbers to everything?

You just take it from context, add a number of you want to specific. Or you can say there were a bunch or a few or one or whatever.

For example, if you wanted to say "The zoo has tigers.", it's implied that tigers is plural. You would say "The zoo has one tiger.", if you wanted to specify that tiger is singular.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

bamhand posted:

You just take it from context, add a number of you want to specific. Or you can say there were a bunch or a few or one or whatever.

For example, if you wanted to say "The zoo has tigers.", it's implied that tigers is plural. You would say "The zoo has one tiger.", if you wanted to specify that tiger is singular.

I think you're just giving the instructions for English.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yah I'm too lazy to install a Chinese keyboard. But it's basically as simple as you can imagine.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Haier posted:

Earlier, I had been walking to go to the station when I had to go through one of those under-road tunnels. Three real estate dweebs in their matching uniforms and pompadour undercuts were chatting together. Two were sitting on the curb, on papers they had laid down, and another was sitting on a rental bike, one tire in the road, another on sidewalk. Bike guy looked up and saw me coming toward him. He frowned at me and pulled the bike up onto the sidewalk in a road block style and tried to rocker it back and forth based on the direction I was changing to try and get around him purposely blocking me. I kicked the back tire and he just stared at me like he had no clue what had just happened. The reptilian brain is strong here, with the fight or flight coming into play when confronted with terrifying things like people with different eyes and noses.

Wait, so what happened? Was he just trying to get out of your way or what?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xotl posted:

Reading this made me curious what the Chinese title for Aliens is and apparently it's just 異形2.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Pirate Radar posted:

Reading this made me curious what the Chinese title for Aliens is and apparently it's just 異形2.

What's the title for Minions?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stringent posted:

Wait, so what happened? Was he just trying to get out of your way or what?

No, he was being a racist dickheel, deliberately blocking Haier's path. But Haier kicked his back wheel out and walked past.

Much face was lost.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Xotl posted:

I had someone ask me once if i liked the tv show "6 friends" and he meant "Friends."

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese will throw in 数 to describe "multiple/various" if a clear countable number is too large or inconvenient.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

The North Tower posted:

What's the title for Minions?

depends on the china you are talking about

taiwan: 小小兵 (very small soldiers)
hk: 迷你兵团 (mini army)
mainland: 小黄人大眼萌 (adorable small big-eyed yellow people)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

peanut posted:

Japanese will throw in 数 to describe "multiple/various" if a clear countable number is too large or inconvenient.

"some"
"a bunch of"
etc.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

no i wanted ALIENS godddamit! i saw the first one already!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
In Chinese it's also possible to say "some" or a "few."

"The zoo has some tigers, the zoo has several tigers" etc.

一些老虎,幾隻老虎

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Today is the third Valentine's day since I arrived last year. Cue the millions of single men and women crying about being unmarried and having to care for children. Nobody wants to celebrate their freedom, and instead want to whine about not being to provide to a kid/wife/husband and their parents for the next 20-30 years. LMAO

It's also a day of frantic women on dating apps and IRL that think it's the saddest thing in the world to be alone on this day, and desperately need a date or fling tonight.

I am supposed to meet that dancer lady again, but in my usual style will probably cancel and go take a walk and eat cream puffs from the foreign supermarket bakery.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Uhhhhh Haier it's not Valentine's or even Qixi today, are you feeling alright?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Pirate Radar posted:

Uhhhhh Haier it's not Valentine's or even Qixi today, are you feeling alright?
520. The young people are into it.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

No, he's right, this is one of the eight or twelve "Valentine's Days" that China has every year now and arguably the most bullshit made-up one of them all.

Today is May 20, and if you say the numbers out 五二零 is "wu er ling".

"I love you" is 我爱你, "wo ai ni" and apparently if you stuff you ears full of cotton, squint a bit, and kill off a generous portion of your brain cells, "wu er ling" somehow sounds like "wo ai ni".

Ergo, Valentine's Day. QED.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I may be bad at Chinese but I'm not bad enough at Chinese to think wu er ling sounds anything remotely like wo ai ni.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just learned something, then!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In Korea the 14th of every month is a Valentine's Day. Most people pay attention to a mere three of them, White Day, Actual Valentine's Day, and Black Day, but there are twelve if you want to be a real dick.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So it's like Love Day on the Simpsons?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You also have an anniversary after the first 100 days and I believe if you're hardcore/an rear end in a top hat you have one every 100 days of your entire relationship, counting the days like a prison sentence with the crazy person you're dating.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

I may be bad at Chinese but I'm not bad enough at Chinese to think wu er ling sounds anything remotely like wo ai ni.

Your chinese isn't sufficiently nongly, because I'm sure my wife could make it sound like that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Grand Fromage posted:

In Korea the 14th of every month is a Valentine's Day. Most people pay attention to a mere three of them, White Day, Actual Valentine's Day, and Black Day, but there are twelve if you want to be a real dick.

Black day? What, they pulled that one out of their rear end to one-up the Japanese?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Black day? What, they pulled that one out of their rear end to one-up the Japanese?

It's Korea.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Ah, right.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
OMG. I JUSTE SAW THIS. I AM FLOORED, HOLY S

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I like how it doesn't even mention the fact that it's obviously a ring

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Haier posted:

OMG. I JUSTE SAW THIS. I AM FLOORED, HOLY S

China invented Swiss watches over 5000 years ago.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
what the gently caress is Chungking hot pot and is it worth $16 American?

I ask because there's two Chinese restaurants within decent driving distance and one claims to be serving "authentic" Szechuan cuisine and is expense and the other just serves the usual Americanized stuff for a fraction of the price

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Can we have a no hotpot talk rule next thread iteration please

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

simplefish posted:

Can we have a no hotpot talk rule next thread iteration please

this isn't a debate it's a simple question where you can either say yes or no or give a list of possible ingredients

your babbling ninny response just lost you so much face you're just a skeleton

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

your babbling ninny response just lost you so much face you're just a skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Haier, go for broke and invite all the desperately lonely valentine's girls to meet you at a bar or KTV joint; when they realise you've sitcommed twelve other girls into a stupid faux date loudly announce you're heading to a hotel for an orgy and anyone who wants to be alone is welcome to stay behind.

We'll pay for the go pro and hospital bills.

• Locked thread