Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You missed Brain in a Jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Unmature posted:

"Do I have any of my old stuff? The Arrow-mobile? The Arrow-cave?"
"God, Ollie, did you have any original ideas back then?"
If anyone has the panels they should post them because Ollie looks right out of the page with an "-_-" expression as Batman drags him.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

If anyone has the panels they should post them because Ollie looks right out of the page with an "-_-" expression as Batman drags him.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

goatface posted:

You missed Brain in a Jar.

Why does the brain jar have like a dozen syringes in it? That doesn't seem safe. :ohdear:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That reads to me like there was an inversion somewhere in history, but the Bat-mobile at least must be older than Green Arrow. How early did Batman get his cave?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, I am just relying on the wiki, but from there at least it appears that the Batcave first appeared in 1942, while the Arrowcave appeared in 1941. Meaning that Batman is actually the imposter! :aaa:

But Batman comes out ahead on the Batmobile (1940) and Batplane (1940) compared to the Arrowcar (1941) and Arrowplane (1947).

I had no idea that Green Arrow was so old.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Well, I am just relying on the wiki, but from there at least it appears that the Batcave first appeared in 1942, while the Arrowcave appeared in 1941. Meaning that Batman is actually the imposter! :aaa:

But Batman comes out ahead on the Batmobile (1940) and Batplane (1940) compared to the Arrowcar (1941) and Arrowplane (1947).

I had no idea that Green Arrow was so old.

Well yes, but, see, ACTUALLY Batman had been operating in the shadows long before he was a known entity and therefore HAD a cave first! We just didn't see it yet! HAHAHAHABATMAN IS ALWAYS BEST AND HE CAN BEAT UP SUPERMAN.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I remember when Arrow first started, tons of people who didn't know anything about the character and were like "this guy's just a ripoff of Batman"! Which of course couldn't be truer to the comics.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Of all of those I actually really appreciate 'arrowplane' because it is a good play on 'Aeroplane'. But it doesn't work nearly as well if you are American/Canadian.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Of all of those I actually really appreciate 'arrowplane' because it is a good play on 'Aeroplane'

:aaaaa:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

:same:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ashcans posted:

Of all of those I actually really appreciate 'arrowplane' because it is a good play on 'Aeroplane'. But it doesn't work nearly as well if you are American/Canadian.

poo poo

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Ashcans posted:

That's awesome. :aaa:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Should be pointed out that Arrow cave is still a really dumb name and whoever created Green Arrow should feel real dumb for not thinking of The Quiver first. Except he's probably dead.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Quiver sounds like a dive bar Ollie runs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Should be pointed out that Arrow cave is still a really dumb name and whoever created Green Arrow should feel real dumb for not thinking of The Quiver first. Except he's probably dead.

"A Gest of Robyn Hode" was printed in like 1500 so he's definitely dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

"A Gest of Robyn Hode" was printed in like 1500 so he's definitely dead.

I don't think that had an Arrow Cave.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Skwirl posted:

Then where did he park his Arrow-Car?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Avulsion posted:

Then where did he park his Arrow-Car?

Arrow horse drawn carriage

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

purple death ray posted:

The Quiver sounds like a dive gay bar Ollie runs

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Skwirl posted:

Maid Marian has a name, thank you very much

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Toshimo posted:

Ice Lass, Pixie, Not-Beast-Boy, Glob Herman, En Sarariman Nur, Rocksman, Little Old Lady Cosplayer, Timetravelling Quicksilver?

Have they ever explained why Ernst looks 100? I'm guessing the obvious answer is progeria.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

zoux posted:

Glob Herman in glasses is going to lead to some great sight gags. (Generation X #1)

that's almost the entire team from Spider-Man & The X-men, is this just a sight gag or are they permanent members? Could be pretty great.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Say Nothing posted:

Have they ever explained why Ernst looks 100? I'm guessing the obvious answer is progeria.

Actually, she was created by Mr. Sinister, I think. Her power appears to be super-strength? I think?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Breetai posted:

Context: OG Ollie, who was killed in this dimension frequently had banter with Harley waaaay back in the first year of Injustice about how The Arrow Cave was a crap name for his hideout, with Harley trying to convince him that 'The Quiver' was a better name and made more sense. After his death, enter his inter-dimensional counterpart who has just now travelled to the Injustice universe for the first time and is dealing with living in a universe where an alternate version of him died years ago.

4 years. THAT's a slow-burn punchline.

No, now Grant Morrison, now there's a guy that can write a slow-burn punchline:

1990, in the pages of Animal Man:

2006, in the pages of Bulleteer:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

No, now Grant Morrison, now there's a guy that can write a slow-burn punchline:

1990, in the pages of Animal Man:

2006, in the pages of Bulleteer:

That's not a punchline. That's an actual character from DC Comics from a group called The Inferior 4.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Given that Morrison used Merryman and Dumb Bunny in Animal Man, then used Dumb Bunny again in Seven Soldiers and had Merryman return as the King of Limbo in Final Crisis, I always wondered if he was the one who had The Blimp carrying Booster Gold's coffin in 52.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Possibly, but he'd be on the short list of jobbers to make Booster's funeral pathetic.

I'd read a book just about the conversations the creators had making 52. Getting Waid and Morrison back together is enough, but then you throw in Rucka, Johns, Giffen, and Wacker. And those J.G. Jones covers.

52 wasn't perfect, but it was 52 issues of pure comic goodness by some of the best in the business.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait Booster's dead?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Skwirl posted:

"Tremble before the quiver!"

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait Booster's dead?

No, Booster faked his death in 52.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait Booster's dead?

You should read 52 if you haven't already.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

that was from years ago

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If only we'd provided some kind of clue that would have let you figure that out.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Samuringa posted:

that's almost the entire team from Spider-Man & The X-men, is this just a sight gag or are they permanent members? Could be pretty great.

The only one who's a series regular is not-Quicksilver, who is called Hindsight and has the power of psychometry.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'd read a book just about the conversations the creators had making 52. Getting Waid and Morrison back together is enough, but then you throw in Rucka, Johns, Giffen, and Wacker. And those J.G. Jones covers.

If you can get your mitts on copies of the four TPBs that originally collected 52 (now out-of-print), they devote a page after every issue talking about which creator contributed what to that week's ish. Like, one writer (I think it was Waid) lost his father to cancer, so that's who handled those heartbreaking scenes with The Question. Also fun tidbits like "whoops, we drew Kate Kane's menorah with the wrong number of candles; it's been corrected here". Not sure if those notes are in the omnibus edition.

quote:

52 wasn't perfect, but it was 52 issues of pure comic goodness by some of the best in the business.

One of the best birthday presents my husband ever gave me was a full set of the individual issues (I used to repeatedly check out the 4 trades from my library until they withdrew them, or someone stole them, or something :( ). 52 is probably my favorite run of comics ever.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
In all my time here perusing BSS, I've never seen a book get as much praise as 52.

Conversely, I've never seen so much disappointment and and outright mockery in BSS as I did for Countdown.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

In all my time here perusing BSS, I've never seen a book get as much praise as 52.

Conversely, I've never seen so much disappointment and and outright mockery in BSS as I did for Countdown.

Well that's weird. I've been assured that Countdown was 52 done right.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe on Counter-Earth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Countdown was 52 done right.