Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

Kenny has finally bit the bullet and announced his resignation as party leader effective from midnight tonight.

Going to stay on in a caretaker role until June 2nd.

Na na na na, hey-eyyyy-ey.....

I'm positive that all he wanted was to hang on long enough to grab the title of Longest Serving Head oval office. Good riddance to the prick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Na na na na, hey-eyyyy-ey.....

I'm positive that all he wanted was to hang on long enough to grab the title of Longest Serving Head oval office. Good riddance to the prick

If Varadkar wins we're all going to be longing for the days of Enda.

Hes dangerously right wing, even by Fine Gael standards. A firm believer in US style gently caress You, Got Mine screw the poor politics by all accounts.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Blut posted:

If Varadkar wins we're all going to be longing for the days of Enda.

Hes dangerously right wing, even by Fine Gael standards. A firm believer in US style gently caress You, Got Mine screw the poor politics by all accounts.

I'm still half sceptical that Leo believes in anything, the sudden slew of policy orientated stuff is clearly designed to dispel the image of Leo the silent man who talks a good game but remains oddly inscrutable

In saying that, his decision to tie his fortunes to THE FREE MARKET, SCROUNGERS, WORKING PEOPLE, SMALL GOVERNMENT doesn't bode well

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Which sack of poo poo does everyone think will get it?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Notwithstanding the fact he's a Fine Gael politician and everything that comes along with that, is Varadkar that bad? I don't keep up with Irish politics as well as I should given the shitstorm that's happening in US/UK atm

I know Coveney hosed the renters so he's probably done more personal harm to me.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Which sack of poo poo does everyone think will get it?

Varadkar. A political opportunist in the Kenny mold, utterly hitched to the prevailing political wind

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Notwithstanding the fact he's a Fine Gael politician and everything that comes along with that, is Varadkar that bad? I don't keep up with Irish politics as well as I should given the shitstorm that's happening in US/UK atm

I know Coveney hosed the renters so he's probably done more personal harm to me.

Well there's his recent campaign to name and shame fraudulent benefit claimants, which has roundly been condemned, and this lovely explanation he gave for his tax plan:

leo posted:

Too often, we have allowed Irish society to be divided into one group of people who pay for everything but get little in return due to means-tests, and another group who believe they should be entitled to everything for free and that someone else should pay for it

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ill-cut-tax-on-middle-incomes-varadkar-turns-focus-to-tax-cuts-35563931.html

Of course he's keen on cutting income tax, changing the bands to exclude more middle income owners, he's keen on the "Ireland is a high tax country" canard (it isn't) and his welfare reform ideas focus on merging usc and prsi at an increased rate to fund new contribution based in work benefits extended to the self employed - reward the hard workers not the spongers!!!

He is keen on people having "freedom to order their lives" and "economic opportunity" which he's left vague and makes me break out in a cold sweat at the possible implications

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Though of course I think coveney still supports scrapping USC and cutting income tax anyway

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Varadkars rhetoric comes straight from the Tory handbook. The name/shame stuff, the guff about freedom and economic opportunity and all that bollocks. It's worked for the Torys he doesnt see why it wouldn't work for him.

Its a toss up between two different flavours of neoliberal fuckhead. Traditional rural catholic. Gay urbane catholic.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There's an inkling Coveney may resurrect the FG pledge for universal health insurance that was dropped under Varadkars time as health minister.

It fits his vague "one nation" conservatism what with his rent control scheme

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Coveney comes across as less of a prick in person. Otherwise there isn't much to say better for worse.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Is there any chance anyone else will run against these fucks?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

I'm still half sceptical that Leo believes in anything, the sudden slew of policy orientated stuff is clearly designed to dispel the image of Leo the silent man who talks a good game but remains oddly inscrutable

In saying that, his decision to tie his fortunes to THE FREE MARKET, SCROUNGERS, WORKING PEOPLE, SMALL GOVERNMENT doesn't bode well

Aside from Varadkar's recent social welfare demonization act you've mentioned, during the height of the recession he was also the strongest voice in Fine Gael (!) in favour of service cuts instead of tax rises. He essentially wanted to completely gut public services instead of raising taxes. Hes also lobbied heavily in favour of reducing taxes since 'the recovery'.

Coveney is a traditional Fine Gael centre-right person. He'd only half heartedly screw the poor, more as collateral damage than with deliberate targeting.

Varadkar on the other hand would fit straight into the hard-right wing of the Republican party in the US. Hes a true believer. He'll lower taxes as much as possible, cut services to the bone, and try to blame poor people for everything.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is there any chance anyone else will run against these fucks?

Fitzgerald ruled herself out his morning.

Paschal Donohoe is staying clear.

Only other potential runner being talked about is Richard Bruton

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I feel sick thinking that Bruton would be a better choice than either of those other two twats.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Noonan says he's not returning to any new cabinet

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Bruton's ruled himself out. It's the Leo show now

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Et tu bruton?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is the leader of FG selected by the TDs or will they have an election like Labour did?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Is the leader of FG selected by the TDs or will they have an election like Labour did?

It's convoluted. 65% of the votes go to the parlimentary party, 10% to councillors and then the rest to party members or something like that.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Its a weighted electoral college (bit like Labour pre one man one vote); TDs/senators/MEPs get 65% of the vote, Councillors 10% and normal members 25%.

Leo is considered favourite to win the parliamentary party vote, Coveney looks like he may inch out ahead on the membership vote but not by a huge margin (last poll of FG voters gave him a 5% lead over Leo) - and the college system means that wouldn't secure it.

The Irish times put up a leadership tracker last night which will monitor declarations of support from parliamentary party members and projected support, gives Leo a small edge on early declarations

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fg-leadership-race

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pascal Donohoe and Charlie Flanagan have both endorsed Leo.

Coveney not looking too hot

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Leo's at 35% support and Coveney at 19% now according to the IT's leadership tracker. Still lots of undecideds though, hopefully they make a late break for Coveney.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blut posted:

Leo's at 35% support and Coveney at 19% now according to the IT's leadership tracker. Still lots of undecideds though, hopefully they make a late break for Coveney.

I'd say it will be Leo tbh

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Blut posted:

Apart from Simon Harris Coveney's front bench support is a bit thin - Leo picking up Bruton and Flanagan this early are significant boosts (Donohoe was expected, seems like he's been offered the finance brief based on rumour).

Chief whip is expected to declare for Leo as well, Noonan and Kenny will be staying silent for diplomatic purposes (though I don't think its much of a secret they'd prefer Coveney) so without a big front bench name coveney might struggle for momentum - seems to be focusing on the membership vote, his true blue credentials play slightly better in the heartlands than a Dub

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I really hope it's not Leo just for all the poo poo we're going to have to read from liberals about how we're such a progressive country with a gay head of state who is probably just going to keep kicking the can of societal failings down the road for 20 years into the future.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Don't forget the think pieces on the end of civil war politics

To be honest Leo winning and nudging FG to complete the transformation into a more recognisably right wing liberal conservative party that wouldn't be out of place elsewhere in Europe or the anglosphere will widen the distance between FG and FF so the foggy traditional policy by policy "centrist" consensus will become weaker than its ever been and you'll be able to tell FF and FG apart without as much squinting and history books

Might not be such a bad thing if it gives domestic politics a shot in the arm? That is if people begin to recognise what passes for the centre here is actually low tax conservatism...

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Only if we can get headlines like

Gay Irish Prime Minister meets President Pence and his wife

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

As a northerner I naturally lust for confrontation and political turmoil

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

To be honest Leo winning and nudging FG to complete the transformation into a more recognisably right wing liberal conservative party that wouldn't be out of place elsewhere in Europe or the anglosphere will widen the distance between FG and FF so the foggy traditional policy by policy "centrist" consensus will become weaker than its ever been and you'll be able to tell FF and FG apart without as much squinting and history books

That would be good thing. I was at a debate in DCU and Noel Rock was abashed that someone called his party the "Irish Tories". I think the Irish (and Scottish) in general just dislike the idea of being or voting a "conservative", even if they agree with their policies.

Now if Labour could do the same but for the left... They're pretty analogous to the LibDems in the UK atm.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Jesus for all the build up to this contest seems like Coveney has been completely and utterly outmanoeuvred by Leo.

Leo picked up Frances Fitzgerald who endorsed him at his campaign launch. He's secured the backing of the majority of the parliamentary party and already has 44% of the total electorate sewed up in his favour.

Looks like old Simon may be getting cold feet...

Irish Times posted:

Minister for Housing Simon Coveney is consulting with his party colleagues to discuss withdrawing from Fine Gael contest.

Mr Coveney has cancelled an engagement in Cork today to meet with members. It is expected the Minister will make his decision known at a rally in Co Cork this evening.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coveney-considers-conceding-as-varadkar-in-pole-position-1.3090653?mode=amp

You had like six months to get ready for this simon cmon

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 20, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe he doesn't really want it anymore as you say

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Maybe he doesn't really want it anymore as you say

Leo did just say he would have a place in his cabinet if he won... :cool:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is their relationship like?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I'm none too keen on Varadkar's aping of the Tories, but why the hell are the gombeens TDs picking such a young leader (he's 38), whose only accomplishment in a senior ministry is surviving it?

Also, I'm putting on my cynic hat here, but what are the odds of FF doing a huge dogwhistle campaign in rural Ireland to whip up the anti-gay vote against Varadkar?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

School Nickname posted:

I'm none too keen on Varadkar's aping of the Tories, but why the hell are the gombeens TDs picking such a young leader (he's 38), whose only accomplishment in a senior ministry is surviving it?

He's popular, I think the last poll that was done showed that a Varadkar lead FG could see a 6% swing away from FF - he directly appeals to the aspirational mid-30s commuter belt voting bloc who's swing away from FF was directly linked to their loss of power. He looks and sounds like a generational shift for the tiger generation.

He's roughly the median age, he's not a legacy true blue FG man like Coveney and he'll carry the Dublin middle class vote

And ultimately the priority of most governments has been surviving rather than accomplishing transformation ...

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

School Nickname posted:

Also, I'm putting on my cynic hat here, but what are the odds of FF doing a huge dogwhistle campaign in rural Ireland to whip up the anti-gay vote against Varadkar?

I thought the real culchies were pretty firmly entrenched in their respective Civil War camps either way, with most of the vacillation happening in the cities and commuter regions

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/866024306907676677

Coveney's staying in.

Also, Paddy Power has suspended all betting on the FG leadership contest. Coveney needs to win like 70% of the votes of members & councillors and he's still trailing Leo in councillors according to the times tracker...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Coveney's policy doc, bit light but one or two bits:

quote:

I am publishing a Bill to establish a new AntiCorruption and Transparency Commission (“ACT”) on a permanent footing. The Chief Commissioner will be conferred with the full powers of a High Court judge to enhance and strengthen the ability to identify, bring to account and prosecute serious public sector corruption and wrong-doing. I want to make sure that individuals are both encouraged and empowered to come forward and report suspected wrongdoing...

Personal Taxation – Rates. Rather than simply abolishing the Universal Social Charge (USC), I favour a gradual reduction in the overall marginal tax rate in Ireland, which can be as high as 52% when Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) and USC are taken into account. Our medium term goal should be to cut the marginal rate to under 50% in line with recommendations from the Irish Tax Institute.

Personal Taxation – Bands. Individuals currently pay the top 40% income tax rate at the low salary level of €33,800 in Ireland. I believe that tax bands must be raised over time so that less people pay the higher rate of tax. Tax payers in the UK have to earn twice this income before they reach the threshold for its higher tax rate.

I propose that Ireland should, as part of the Ireland 2040 planning framework, put in place a long term strategic infrastructure plan to prepare for an all island population of 10 million people. We should seek to provide up to €20 billion of dedicated capital funding for key infrastructure projects - mostly but not exclusively focused on transport infrastructure – over two decades from sources including the European Investment Bank, private funders and increased Exchequer provision.

I believe that major welfare and pensions reform must also be tackled. Too many people in Ireland are simply not providing for their retirement. In particular I believe that we should examine the benefits of moving to a system of Personal Welfare Accounts (PWAs) where each citizen is required to pay a share of their income into an individual account with their income tax liabilities/PRSI reduced accordingly. While there are a large number of different ways in which welfare accounts could be constructed, the available research suggests that they could make a significant difference to work incentives, intergenerational poverty and administrative efficiency.

I believe now is the time for Fine Gael to develop a positive economic and strategic case for the reunification of Ireland, over time and within the EU... Fine Gael should immediately begin drafting a White Paper on possible reunification after a process of intensive consultation with the membership, to be published before the party’s Ard Fheis in November.

Also stuff about tackling health inequality cause its bad (no policy suggestion), jobless households cause they are bad (no policy suggestions) and setting green energy targets. Typical FG obsession with cutting the headline income tax rate to stimulate COMPETITION (ignoring the vanishingly low social insurance taxes that leaves Ireland with a small tax wedge compared to every other European country). The commitment to infrastructure spending does single him out as being a bit more Just Society than old Leo is known for, some general noises about reducing inequality as well with no actual meat.

The PWA idea is loving ghastily though. Should tip you off if you know Iain Duncan Smith is one of their more robust champions in the UK.

Leo due to publish some policy things tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Cut the taxes high income earners pay, reduce the pensions poor people get. And thats from the less right-wing candidate. And thats what hes openly campaigning with, nevermind what he thinks/pushes behind closed doors. :sigh:

I await Leo's with worried breath.

• Locked thread