Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
So far it feels like Endless Legend but in Space. The music is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I really like the Unfallen vine gimmick. It might seem slow at first, but once you get a few vine ships out there, you can just spread to everything. Buy peace with everyone, spread your vines everywhere, and then just peacefully assimilate everyone's homeworlds at once for an instant conquest victory :v:

But really once they get rolling you just seem to snowball, especially if you're at peace with everyone. I was two turns away from a science victory and got an Economic one, while also having 2 of 3 Obelisks built, 3 of 4 homeworlds assimilated, and 2.5x the score of everyone else. It's great when you don't have to focus on war, which is how I like to play.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yo wtf. The unfallen just stole systems off me.

Time to start the logging industry boys.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Combat seems deeper than I first thought. I went up against pirates with tons of short range ballistic stuff and I equipped my guys with long rand standoff energy weapons and even though the balance of power was like 80/20 them/me, I choose the long range tactic and obliterated them.

edit: really curious if different flanks can interact, like if I select the tactic that puts one flank in a wide arc, and stick my taunting ships on it, will all the enemies focus on it or just the ones in it's respective flank?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
What's the benefit for having different species on my planets? I mean I assimilated 2 minor factions and have Hissho and the Amoeba chilling in my land. Not to mention I have a weird Horatio ship that I got for a quest and I just have him with my main strike force

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Comstar posted:

This was asked above, but I didn't understand the answer- how do I build more probes?

Your starting scout ships come with 2 probes (Lumeris scouts come with 3 probes). When spent, they automatically replenish 1 every 3-4 turns, up to their cap.

There are upgrades in the Exploration tracks that give you upgraded probe modules (with increases to vision range, stock, and/or replenishment), and to use those, you'll have to upgrade/retrofit your scout ships, but you never build the probes themselves; the scouts do that automatically.

IAmTheRad posted:

What's the benefit for having different species on my planets? I mean I assimilated 2 minor factions and have Hissho and the Amoeba chilling in my land. Not to mention I have a weird Horatio ship that I got for a quest and I just have him with my main strike force

Different species give you different benefits per unit of population, and often they get better benefits on specific types of planets. So shuffling species around to take advantage of that is another level of optimization (should you choose to take advantage of it; you can probably safely ignore it in all but the highest difficulty levels). Assimilating species also adds permanent traits to your empire, and having certain population thresholds of different species (10, 20, and 50) also unlocks extra benefits.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 20, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

Mouse over their icons and it'll give you a break down of what they do. Amoeba effect food income I think.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Comstar posted:

This was asked above, but I didn't understand the answer- how do I build more probes?

They recharge over time on a per ship basis. The tooltip tells you your stock and the cooldown. You could build more scout ships or install more probe modules, whether on the default scout or onto a custom chassis in the editor. You could strip the weapon and engine off the default scout for more probes I guess. Different researchable probes have better range or recharge faster but require strategic materials, materials that could be used on systems or weapons.

Bear in mind that spamming probes to scout near your homeworld isn't very helpful when your highest priority is colonising as quickly as possible in your constellation. Those probes could be better spent unlocking bonuses on the planets you can immediately or quickly colonise.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've played one game to the end, an easy economic victory on Normal in a standard size galaxy with the Lumeris. It seems like a pretty good beginner faction to play on, the mechanics aren't too out there, you just focus on making a lot of Dust and you get a lot of parallel benefits from that so you can't do wrong.

My only big issue right now is that the game starts slowing down significantly around turn 100. As in the performance takes a dive and the interface gets really laggy. Around turn 130 it was getting painful to keep playing just when I won. I can't even imagine what it'll be like in a big galaxy with 10+ AIs. I'm going to wait on Amplitude rolling out performance optimizations before I give a final verdict and start reccing the game to friends, but I have full faith in them doing it.

I skipped the tutorial entirely but feel like I had and now have a pretty good handle on what's going on. If this is your first 4X game though, I feel bad for you, and even up to the end there were some symbols I didn't know the meaning of (though I was able to deduce them, like the icon for overcolonization disapproval, which is reduced by some leaders and techs).

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Is there a way to genocide pops I don't want? I want pure clean Riftborns on all my worlds not gross fleshy dudes with +2 food growth.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

That Guy Bob posted:

Is there a way to genocide pops I don't want? I want pure clean Riftborns on all my worlds not gross fleshy dudes with +2 food growth.

Deport them to a world that's full (you have to upgrade to level 2 colony to do this). Alternatively, set up flesh-ghettos on minor faction systems that you assimilate. It does seem kind of wrong that the perfect and clean systems of the Riftborn get so easily infested, but on the other hand pops that grow with food are kind of better for a lot of purposes.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Comstar posted:

What are the different factions in Endless Space 2, and how do they play?

The United Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTbS8BEa1oI

Aka the UE. The UE are the ‘human’ faction, and unsurprisingly the most ‘vanilla.'

All of their traits are easy to take advantage of - they get free influence for everything they construct as well as their core pop giving more influence, they have a higher cap on the number of systems they can colonize before suffering overexpansion penalties, they get more manpower from both their secondary pop (Hissho) and their Patriots trait, and they start with two of the most frequently chosen starter techs. Their 'core' ability is that they can spend influence on techs, buildings, and resources.

The absolute piles of influence you get give you a great deal of flexibility. You can invest it back into your infrastructure, expand more quickly into minors, or pump it into making more diplomatic deals. Combined with the focus on industry, you will rarely find yourself in the frustrating position of having too many things to build and not enough industry to build them.

Hortatio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRFQXX3oeg

aka Being John Horatio. The Horatio are vain biologists, all clones of one super-rich, super-powerful Horatio Prime. They tend to be a more peaceful faction.

Horatio require a little more finesse than some other factions.Their core population gives more food and more happiness by default, but really the point of Horatio is that you can sacrifice non-Horatio faction populations at the altar of Horatio to splice their genes into the Horatio genepool, making your Horatio more powerful and beautiful, which intrinsically means that Horatio requires a little more micro. Thanks to their cloning prowess, heroes hired by Horatio recover faster. Horatio ships cost more (and have kind of lovely hardpoints), while their planets suffer both less overcrowding problems (on top of the beautiful Horatio giving bonus approval) and have more population slots. Their secondary population, Z'vali, have more science output and additional approval. Horatio themselves tend to prefer the ecologist faction, and start as a dictatorship, so you start the game being able to colonize all non-gas planets.

All in all, Horatio are a bit of a late bloomer. Until you have acquired (and sacrificed) a decent variety of pops, you're not able to really display the beauty and power of Horatio, and bonus food with bonus pop slots are not bonuses that lead to an early lead. Fortunately, you do have a lot of colonization options, and you have a good approval buffer.

Horatio.

The Vodyani

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yupbwsSfGsE

Nomadic Space Vampires. Vodyani are the weirdest and probably swingiest faction. They worship the Virtual Endless, which is kind of insane, and are in some ways obligated to be the nastiest crusaders in the galaxy.

Popwise, Vodyani have some weird traits. They're religiously oriented, grow incredibly slow, and have powerful bonuses to FIDS (but not influence). More importantly, each Vodyani pop occupies one population slot on each planet in the system colonized. Even more importantly, improvements and population are not tied to system, but to the arc ship that is temporarily tethered to the system, meaning you can pick up and move to a new system at your heart's content. Also, instead of colony ships you get "Leechers," which go to other people's planets and kidnap their people to reduce them to 'essence' that you use to build more ark ships and Vodyani pops. Vodyani infantry are more powerful than other infantry, and their ships are faster. Heroes also gain +2 XP per turn just for working for you. Vodyani pops are religious, which gives you a weird grab bag of laws, notably the ability to treat Cold War as hot war, and a law that gives yet more experience to your heroes.

All in all, the Vodyani capture a sort of Space Mongols play style, which requires some amount of flexibility of thinking.

The Lumeris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z_Ug6piiqI

Merchants extraordinaire, the Lumeris can expand incredibly fast, and turn around and use that expansion as a trading resource.

Their major trait is that they can sell trade outposts through the diplomacy menu. They don't use colony ships at all, instead they just spend a pile of dust and instantly get an outpost, allowing for quick expansion. Because they don't start with a colony ship, they instead have a second explorer, and they have a higher probe stock on exploration ships, making them great for early game discovery. In addition, they have higher approval and can ignore Cold War blockades on trade ships, which helps make them both more dust and colonize faster and more effectively. They also use dust to influence minor factions instead of influence, allowing you to save that precious precious influence for trade deals. Lumeris themselves tend to vote pacifist, which is the 'dust and luxuries' political party. Despite this, they don't really have any penalties or bonuses to waging war, save that their secondary starting population, Gnashast, have defense bonuses during ground battles.

Lumeris are significantly better than other factions at creating a large trading empire, and tend to be a more peaceful faction since that leads to better trade agreements and allows you to better take advantage of the ability to sell outposts.

The Sophons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0G_RZykVA

Mad scientists, the Sophons specialize in science at the cost of all else. Including having a reasonable research strategy.

The sophons have two traits that make them kind of kooky at science: the first is that they get a significant research bonus to techs based on how many other players have NOT researched that tech, and their preferred (and thus starting) political party is Scientists, who let you research an era ahead. In addition to their primary pop giving a science boost, their secondary population, Pilgrims, are also science producers, though more religiously focused. Sophon ships have much faster movement, and they reveal the length of outgoing starlanes as soon as they touch a system, making them very efficient explorers. The most explicit drawback of playing the Sophons is that they are significantly worse at infantry ground combat, which is a significant penalty to early war. They have an implicit drawback of being very likely to have tons of techs but not be able to build what they've researched because, while researching extremely fast, they don't have a bonus to production (there is a science law that reduces the cost of system improvements).

The Sophons require a flexible mind to take advantage of, and a pretty good familiarity with the tech tree in order to make the most of their research bonuses. Each game of Sophons comes out pretty different in my experience.

The Cravers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4rgswnjpZg

Slaver warlords, the Cravers never know peace and are basically the bad guys from Independence Day.

The primary trait of Cravers is that, so long as their is one craver pop on a planet, non-Craver pops are dramatically more productive (with an approval penalty). Because they are being enslaved and eaten. However, Craver pops themselves generate Depletion Points every turn; once a planet has too many depletion points, it becomes an emptied husk of what it once was, and the Craver pop itself loses its pretty crazy production bonuses. All of this means that Cravers benefit substantially from having starports and significant amounts of population micromanagement. The rest of their traits make them better at war: cheaper ships, larger fleets, better infantry, and of course being unable to go to Peace so long as militarists are in the Senate. Fortunately(?) you're a dictatorship, so you can arbitrarily put another faction as your sole party, though it will hurt. Their secondary pop, Harsoshems, are food producers, which can be tricky to manage.

Because of the way they deplete planets, the Cravers are not just good at war, they practically need it, though not quite as badly as the Vodyani. However, you do not have any approval bonuses and in fact have approval maluses, making expansion potentially costly. The Cravers are the only faction I've played where my government was overthrown by domestic pressures.

The Riftborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8H8DedCW_I

Survivors from a transdimensional cataclysm, the Riftborn must build their pop manually and have a heavy industry focus. They can also gently caress with time.

Riftborn pops have a hefty bonus to dust, industry, and science outputs, but as a tradeoff they must create new Riftborn via the construction queue. As a result of their weird non-biology, they don't spend food or dust on colonizing new systems, instead spending Titanium and Hyperium. They also have a weird approval bonus on sterile planets paired with an approval penalty on fertile planets (and also have a unique ability to terraform planets to sterile). Their ships are slower and less flexible than other factions, typically having no flex hardpoints. Their secondary population is Remnants, who have bonuses to dust and industry production; both populations favor the Industrialist party. In addition to using titanium and hyperium for colonization, they also use it for constructing "singularities," basically spells that gently caress with time. Specifically, the titanium one gives a ton of bonuses to the system its used on, while the hyperium one gives a ton of penalties. You don't have to be at war with somebody to use the penalty one, so that's a nice way of doing some asymmetrical warfare. Late game, you also get stasis, which stops EVERYTHING from happening on that system.

The Riftborn are a little inflexible, but quite potent within their specialization. Their great production lends itself to both butter and guns, and their ability to use hyperium and titanium as if they were dust or food gives you even better potential optimization. Do be aware that their ships are really, really slow, which makes warfare awkward.

The Unfallen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHLH_e12o0

Tree people with a weird, weird way of expanding.

Instead of building colony ships, you get "vineships." A vineship goes to system and creates a vine between that system and your network of vine'd systems. As soon as your vine is completed, you can immediately turn that system into a full-on colonized system (assuming you have the right colonization techs), completely skipping the outpost phase. But beware, should the vines be cut, you lose all systems that are cut off from your vine network. The Unfallen are disposed toward diplomatic friendship, gaining benefits to both war and approval based on having friendly relations with other major factions. Unsurprisingly, Unfallen have a strong disposition to the Pacifist faction.

The Unfallen lend themselves to very peaceful play, and can start really, really fast. Unfortunately, Unfallen do not have extra pop slots nor do they have bonuses to any production other than food, meaning that you can create a large empire of unremarkable systems. Fortunately, as is the case in 4X, a strong early game can be leveraged into a strong game in general.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, I find it interesting that the Unfallen get a huge movement speed boost while moving along a vine, and automatically get vision of any system that's in vine range. Which doesn't always follow the starlane paths.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks for that description, though it isn't helping my "gotta restart and do better" syndrome.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what determines when you get tanks/aircraft in your fleets and planets? I have both unlocked but I'm only fighting with infantry.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you need to go to the army management screen in the ship menu and pick the proportions

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

So what determines when you get tanks/aircraft in your fleets and planets? I have both unlocked but I'm only fighting with infantry.

Go to the military screen (where you can design ships) and look at the left side of screen. There should be an Army Management button. You can choose a ratio of infantry to tanks, etc, while also being able to upgrade them for dust and strategic resources. Although as far as I can tell there's never any reason to have anything but 100% tanks, because they're strong against infantry and games tend to be over by the time planes come into the picture.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it a bug that all my ship models are wire frame instead of actual ships?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jastiger posted:

Probably? Although I haven't stared at the ships enough to know if maybe one faction just uses wireframe ships. The game is pretty buggy overall: it actually feels buggier now than it did in late Early Access. Presumably because of the big release patch that got less testing.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Jastiger posted:

You mean the wireframes on the galaxy map? I'm pretty sure that's intentional. They look pretty shippy to me in the editor and battlescene.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
All ships are wireframe in the galaxy view for everyone. Edit: It helps keep them clear and adds less clutter as you zoom out.

It's a shame people are having issues with the tutorials. I started out my first game as the Unfallen and it flowed really well for me. It probably should have had some time during the Early Access to iron out some kinks from the sounds of it.

Although, a lot of the questions asked so far are explained in tooltips. There are a lot of systems in this game, I recommend taking some time and hovering over buttons, reading all of the text in a tooltip, and going through the menus. I find the interface pretty easy to follow after I got through the first 20 turns or so of information overload.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 20, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I turned on the tutorial and played through a couple of turns. I think the problem is only if you literally don't know how to move ships or build stuff or other incredibly basic 4X things. The tutorials focused mostly on the parts that make this game different. I'm not sure if it's better or worse that a lot of game systems are gated behind technology though: they make a big deal about you finding Luxury resources even though you almost certainly can't use them for a while (maybe never, if you're blindly stumbling through the tech tree).

I also think the recommended technologies thing is bad, because it takes you out of the tech tree entirely. If you just click on those recommendations, you'll have no idea what's going on and more importantly will never learn. If they wanted to recommend stuff, they should've just highlighted them in the tree itself.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Another really nasty game-breaking bug. Naturally, Riftborn can't harvest Titanium till they research the tech that has it, despite their trait that they start on a planet with some. Okay, so they ALSO start with a Hyperium source, and the relevant tech is already researched. Except my guys aren't harvesting any of it. At all.

This game is Bug City on macs. I really enjoy the first 20 turns of every game I try to play at least!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for explaining the wire frame thing.

There is So. Much. To. Do.

I'm sure I'm playing poorly but holy poo poo, there is SO much to do with this game. I'm as the Space Nazi's and its ridiculous how many new screens the tutorial brings me to over and over again. Down to my drat soldier dudes I can make choices. Its kind of hard to get it all, but I'm loving the depth in this game!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Speedball posted:

Another really nasty game-breaking bug. Naturally, Riftborn can't harvest Titanium till they research the tech that has it, despite their trait that they start on a planet with some. Okay, so they ALSO start with a Hyperium source, and the relevant tech is already researched. Except my guys aren't harvesting any of it. At all.

This game is Bug City on macs. I really enjoy the first 20 turns of every game I try to play at least!

Buy a PC.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The beginner tutorial is more along the ways of telling you HOW to play the game. It's an option in the new game, but it's not part of the 'tutorial' options. I could see it being set in a specific seed. You start as the United Empire with 3 enemy empires. It keeps you in your own constellation with no starlanes to the other constellations which I imagine where the enemy empires are. It does a little better at telling you HOW to play the game. But there's a bunch of popup messages and the game locks down many features until the game decides you should do it. It's not quite 100% structured as it gives you suggestions rather than rules, like some other games will go "NO PICK THIS TECH" or "PICK THIS BUILDING" locking you out of the game basically telling you how to play, instead of helping you along.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A note for people wanting to pick this up, Amplitude is giving away Steam codes on their Twitter occasionally, if you can figure out the replaced letter or number.

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/865945219866513409
https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/865863496772329475

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So I bought this in EA, gave it a bit of a try, and decided to come back for release. Now it's release and I'm kind of overwhelmed by how much has changed (it probably does not help that I picked Sophons, as I haven't quite figured out what the Useful Techs are, but onward!).

Anyway, the main question I have is how the gently caress does Influence Pressure work - do I just need to build more influence improvements to reverse the trend, or is there some other thing I need to do? There doesn't seem to be a tutorial describing any of it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I believe it's based on your Influence income. I don't think it's super important in your first game or two, and I've only just started looking into what it and demands allow you to do, so I'm not real solid on it yet.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Node posted:

Ah, my mistake, I thought it had been out for a day now. Sorry.

One day is almost never enough time to get over the shiny and new phase of a 4X. How long did it take for people to hate Beyond Earth?

I think I was optimistic about the first Endless Space for at least a month before I realized community voting would prevent it from ever amounting to much.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 20, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KPC_Mammon posted:

How long did it take for people to hate Beyond Earth?

The day it was announced and confirmed it wasn't SMAC 2. :v:

Keeping an eye on this game. Endless Space and Endless Legend were such badly mixed bags for me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Anyway, the main question I have is how the gently caress does Influence Pressure work - do I just need to build more influence improvements to reverse the trend, or is there some other thing I need to do? There doesn't seem to be a tutorial describing any of it.

As far as I can tell, it's the equivalent of border friction in other games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How am I supposed to do anything with the Voydani? I quickly find minor races, and then a faction quest starts that populates that system with pirates, and I end up throwing like 4 scouts at them before I finally drop them, but each one takes like 9 turns to build. It's turn 28 and I have 1 pop and no buildings.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've run into a very nasty bug where i have crust engineering researched, but i still cant mine adamantian, i nfact considering by the 0 of it on the marketplace for a while now, i feel like the bots cant mine it either

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How am I supposed to do anything with the Voydani? I quickly find minor races, and then a faction quest starts that populates that system with pirates, and I end up throwing like 4 scouts at them before I finally drop them, but each one takes like 9 turns to build. It's turn 28 and I have 1 pop and no buildings.

You've got that you want to leech off of a subdued minor civ, but you're trying to use scout ships to as combat escorts, which is never going to work.

Vodyani should research the combat ship tech (left-hand tree, second tier near the top) earlier than most other civs. You'll want to park some combat ships to protect your leecher ships from the pirates that spawn on unconquered minor civs. This is what you want to do with your hero early on (upgrade his ship as soon as you can afford it), then later protect your leechers with a 1-2 small tank ships and 2-4 small DPS ships.

Don't worry about hurrying to finish your quest to kill those pirates. It can wait until you've built your first proper fleet of a tank ship and three DPS ships. It can probably even wait until you've researched the second-tier military tech to increase your fleet cap from 4 to 7 (top tree, left of center, look for a little tank icon). Vodyani can't rush to finish their storyline, since you'll need dreadnaughts for one of the last stages of it.

Also, build industry buildings first in every colony, always, for every civ in the game but Unfallen.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

also what is the point of having a skill for heroes that is -20% upkeep (and less assignment duration, but i dont even know what that is), and then having one right after that that just eliminates upkeep

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you don't plan on taking to free upkeep skill, I suppose. The wording almost makes it sound like it's Empire wide while the free upkeep is not so that could also be a benefit, but I haven't taken it so I don't know if that's true or not.

Assignment duration locks your hero into an assignment for a certain number of rounds when you first assign them. It's usually 10 turns. So, what normally happens is you assign a hero to a task and then you have to wait 10 turns before you can assign them somewhere else, even if it's the same task but a different system or fleet. It doesn't come up much in normal play.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

You've got that you want to leech off of a subdued minor civ, but you're trying to use scout ships to as combat escorts, which is never going to work.

Vodyani should research the combat ship tech (left-hand tree, second tier near the top) earlier than most other civs. You'll want to park some combat ships to protect your leecher ships from the pirates that spawn on unconquered minor civs. This is what you want to do with your hero early on (upgrade his ship as soon as you can afford it), then later protect your leechers with a 1-2 small tank ships and 2-4 small DPS ships.

Don't worry about hurrying to finish your quest to kill those pirates. It can wait until you've built your first proper fleet of a tank ship and three DPS ships. It can probably even wait until you've researched the second-tier military tech to increase your fleet cap from 4 to 7 (top tree, left of center, look for a little tank icon). Vodyani can't rush to finish their storyline, since you'll need dreadnaughts for one of the last stages of it.

Also, build industry buildings first in every colony, always, for every civ in the game but Unfallen.

My starting science and industry is so patheticly low that I take like 8 turns to get the base techs in a tree, and building a scout takes 6 or 7 turns. I need essence to get more pops, and I can't get essence because there are pirates sitting on the only minor faction near me.

Getting the ship design tech and building one would take me something like 30 turns, during which I'm sitting at 1 pop. Did I just get a bad galaxy roll or something?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

My starting science and industry is so patheticly low that I take like 8 turns to get the base techs in a tree, and building a scout takes 6 or 7 turns. I need essence to get more pops, and I can't get essence because there are pirates sitting on the only minor faction near me.

Getting the ship design tech and building one would take me something like 30 turns, during which I'm sitting at 1 pop. Did I just get a bad galaxy roll or something?

You've probably hosed your start and should try another go.

Next go, put your leecher and hero in one fleet and send it to camp the first minor civ you find, while exploring with the scout. You should get the military ship tech in your first 2-3 techs, and send a tank ship and a DPS ship or two to help your leecher. Don't be afraid to retreat and repair if you need it - that and upgrading your hero's ship are going to be your main early-game dust dumps.

Before you build your first ark, redesign it so that all of the utility modules are the essence-generator module. (NOT the essence leech module - the one that doesn't make any reference to food. The module's icon is an ankh superimposed on an inverted pyramid.) You can possibly use one engine module, depending on taste. That will give you a constant, no-effort essence income to cover periods when you screw up your leeching or need to pull your military ships off of leech escort.

Davincie posted:

also what is the point of having a skill for heroes that is -20% upkeep (and less assignment duration, but i dont even know what that is), and then having one right after that that just eliminates upkeep

You're right that the skills are redundant, although the lower-level one is still useful on its own. Heroes have a cooldown where they can't be reassigned a second time after being given an assignment, and that talent reduces that cooldown.

Except for the first tier and maaaaybe the colony happiness talent, the generic tree (top in green) is definitely the weakest one for most heroes in most roles. All of those are filler you only take because you're out of more interesting talents.

Cythereal posted:

The day it was announced and confirmed it wasn't SMAC 2. :v:

Keeping an eye on this game. Endless Space and Endless Legend were such badly mixed bags for me.

If you were iffy about Endless Legend, this probably isn't going to be for you. It's Endless Legend plus some of ES's bad ideas.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Speedball posted:

Yeah I've seen this as well. I just checked the main forum, it's apparently a common, reported issue, so it's likely to get worked on. What other bugs have you been having? So far I've just had that and lots of MP desyncs.