Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Just look at Tarantino since Sally Menke died.

The longer cut of The Hateful Eight is far and away the better watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
A talking tiger friend is Disney as gently caress, which is probably why WB/DC didn't want it in their movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That and they could possibly be saving it for their upcoming Shazam movie, a comic that's had a talking tiger buddy in the regular cast since 1940.

(Didn't wanna get my last post about it lost on the last page.)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm not saying the tiger is a good or bad idea, I'm saying that just because she's a good director doesn't mean all her ideas are good

I will never see Wonder Woman so I don't care either way

I'm just saying that there is nothing wrong with oversight even in a world of creative freedom. There should always be someone who can say no to ideas.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Just look at Tarantino since Sally Menke died.

Scorsese better retire if Thelma dies first.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 20, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FishBulb posted:

I'm not saying the tiger is a good or bad idea, I'm saying that just because she's a good director doesn't mean all her ideas are good

I will never see Wonder Woman so I don't care either way

I'm just saying that there is nothing wrong with oversight even in a world of creative freedom. There should always be someone who can say no to ideas.

Scorsese better retire if Thelma dies first.

Yeah I agree. I've mentioned his before but Vince Gilligan's original plans for season 1 of Breaking Bad were loving horrible, and it's a very good thing that he had other people to tell him how loving stupid his ideas were.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah I agree. I've mentioned his before but Vince Gilligan's original plans for season 1 of Breaking Bad were loving horrible, and it's a very good thing that he had other people to tell him how loving stupid his ideas were.

What were they?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe DC wanted to save Talky Tawny for the Shazam franchise.

Anyway, Mamma Mia! is getting a sequel, subtitled "Here We Go Again". Are there really enough Abba songs left? I know they didn't do Fernando but they're going to have to start in on the deep cuts.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Who's got the rights to He-Man? Talking tiger friends are bad, talking tiger murderbeasts are dope.

Not that I remember Battlecat ever actually doing anything.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Anyway, Mamma Mia! is getting a sequel, subtitled "Here We Go Again". Are there really enough Abba songs left? I know they didn't do Fernando but they're going to have to start in on the deep cuts.

I hope it comes out the same day as another Batman movie for nostalgia purposes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

A talking tiger friend is Disney as gently caress, which is probably why WB/DC didn't want it in their movie.

As pointed out they have one. They are making a Captain Marvel movie.

And there are like several dozen examples of Tawky Tawny being rad as poo poo so I don't get people's complaint about the concept.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Who's got the rights to He-Man? Talking tiger friends are bad, talking tiger murderbeasts are dope.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The comicbook version of Wonder Woman had a whole bunch of weird superpowers including the ability to communicate with animals so I guess MacLaren was going for that angle rather than a tiger that spoke English.

Edit: I googled a few articles and the phrase that was used was that she had "a tiger sidekick/pet she could talk with"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

:stare:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

Maybe they're gonna start in on the Bee Gees.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

As pointed out they have one. They are making a Captain Marvel movie.

And there are like several dozen examples of Tawky Tawny being rad as poo poo so I don't get people's complaint about the concept.

Tawny loving rules, he's my favourite. He's in part of Kingdom Come (or one of the tie-ins iirc) just drinking martinis in a metahuman bar, seeming sort of gruff and hard boiled.
They should make him the one character in the Captain Marvel movie who isn't really chipper and actually acts like all the other grimdark DC movie characters. It would be hilarious coming from a tiger in a suit.

In the same vein, everyone was talking about this in a GBS comics thread - where the gently caress is my Blue and Gold movie already DC :argh:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Skwirl posted:

What were they?

Walt was going to start working with Jesse, get pissed off at him then trap in his basement with a shotgun pointing at his head attached to a rig that would shoot it if he reached to get the food Walt was putting in front of him. So it was starve or take the easy way out. Then Walt Jr. was going to find him in the basement, where Jesse would grab him and kill both of them. And that's the end of season 1.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really think they should adapt that issue from the 70s where Tawney decides to play professional baseball.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Grendels Dad posted:

Not that I remember Battlecat ever actually doing anything.

There is a new He-Man rumor in that the latest draft doesn't even have Skeletor as the villain, they are saving him for a later movie. Which is really dumb because there is both the Evil Horde and the Snake Men to save for later films where Skeletor will both be fighting them and He-Man. (And that's not even getting to the more obscure characters who could front their own films) I'd also love a live-action He-Man done in the style of Hercules or Xena, or even just go with stop motion using the toys as Robot Chicken's He-Man stuff is almost all great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hell yeah baby.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is a new He-Man rumor in that the latest draft doesn't even have Skeletor as the villain, they are saving him for a later movie.

I love that the studios are going all in and announcing that they're bringing out a new franchise that will cover X number of movies, especially when they're rebooting an IP that has previously flopped.

Hey remember that film we made in 1987 that had a production budget of $22 million but only made $17m at the box office and has been a sad punchline ever since? It's been in development hell for three decades but we finally got the go ahead so we're remaking it with a $150m budget! Are you excited???

Edit: lol the Dolph Lundgren film was released the same year as Superman IV: The Quest For Peace and only beat it at the box office by $2m.

Edit 2: here's an article from just the other week that lists 123 Movie Remakes and Reboots Currently in the Works

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A talking tiger friend would be cool and good so it has no place in the Snyderverse

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

A talking tiger friend would be cool and good so it has no place in the Snyderverse

If Tony Jay were alive I'd have loved to see a scene where a Tiger elegantly discourses with Darksied voiced by Michael Ironside on the nature of oblivion, death and evil and bargains for the release of the Justice League.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andre Braugher voiced Darkseid in one of the earlier DC animated movies. I'd be down for him to be the live action one.

Comedy Darkseid casting: Sean Astin.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Weird Al. Please.

https://youtu.be/DoZ9C9_TTQM

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oscar Isaac.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

No, an off-brand, Great Value Oscar Isaac.

So, Jake Johnson.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
BRIAN BLESSED for Darkseid's voice.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Infuriate nerds by hiring Clancy brown to do darkseid

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd be ok with that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Infuriate nerds by hiring Clancy brown to do darkseid

Dude could literally physically act as Darkseid in the right makeup. He's a great fit actually.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

Andre Braugher voiced Darkseid in one of the earlier DC animated movies. I'd be down for him to be the live action one.

In Goonies logic that would make Darkseid the younger brother of Thanos.

GonSmithe posted:

Walt was going to start working with Jesse, get pissed off at him then trap in his basement with a shotgun pointing at his head attached to a rig that would shoot it if he reached to get the food Walt was putting in front of him. So it was starve or take the easy way out. Then Walt Jr. was going to find him in the basement, where Jesse would grab him and kill both of them. And that's the end of season 1.

Also this would make no sense for season 1 Walt to jump all the way to his end of the series ruthless persona. It took him several episodes to just kill the drug dealer who tried to kill him at least twice.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

Dude could literally physically act as Darkseid in the right makeup. He's a great fit actually.

Clancy Brown as Dan Turpin...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Clancy Brown as Dan Turpin...

I'd love to see elements of Final Crisis and Multiversity in these movies when it comes to the 4th World stuff but Johns is in charge so we won't get anything as interesting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rirse posted:

In Goonies logic that would make Darkseid the younger brother of Thanos.

The Anti-Life Inhaler.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FishBulb posted:

counterpoint: just because someone is good at directing does not mean all their creative ideas are good and they shouldn't be questioned

This reminds me of the original bugnuts crazy version of Moneyball, when Soderbergh was going to direct. Not only was it going to have interviews with the real-life players on the Oakland A's, but it was going to delve deep into some of the really esoteric statistical concepts that the book explored -- and to explain them, stats pioneer Bill James would pop up in the corner like some baseball version of the Great Gazoo to help relate them to non-baseball-fans.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just found out it's pronounced "Dark Side" I thought it was "Dark Seed" or even "Dark Sayyid".

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Timby posted:

This reminds me of the original bugnuts crazy version of Moneyball, when Soderbergh was going to direct. Not only was it going to have interviews with the real-life players on the Oakland A's, but it was going to delve deep into some of the really esoteric statistical concepts that the book explored -- and to explain them, stats pioneer Bill James would pop up in the corner like some baseball version of the Great Gazoo to help relate them to non-baseball-fans.

That sounds rad though

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gatts posted:

Its amazing how perfect he could also act as Lex if they had went that route.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Timby posted:

Moneyball turned out pretty good I thought but yeah Soderbergh's sounded rad. It seems kind of similar to The Big Short actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Big Short by way of Bernie

• Locked thread