Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

ApplesandOranges posted:

Uhh you guys might want to put the name of the boss in spoilers.

Yeah personas the one kinda game where the usual 1 month spoiler policy doesn't work because it's literally nearly 100 hours on average.

Even though it's been half year for japan.

not the case for US.

What I can say about palace 6, is that it has some groovy music.

4,6,7 are all pretty groovy. 7 people may not agree but I dig it for the feel.
I'd actually even rank em in that order over the other dungeon themes in game.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
fwiw I haven't gotten to that part and I don't feel spoiled :shrug:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

VoLaTiLe posted:

I could just paint my cock green and attach a toy chariot to it :smug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like the mementos dialogue skits unlike all of f mementos

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Who else would play P5 if you didn't have any romantic SL? None of the LI appealed to me except for Yusuke so I'd play it. Also, we're guaranteed to leave after 1 yr regardless if we date or not so IDK what's the point?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Alder posted:

Who else would play P5 if you didn't have any romantic SL? None of the LI appealed to me except for Yusuke so I'd play it. Also, we're guaranteed to leave after 1 yr regardless if we date or not so IDK what's the point?

Love is the point

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Alder posted:

I mean the romance part of any of the links is relatively small anyway. Of course I'd still play P5, However, they aren't invalidated by the time limit. You can still form relationships with people even if you know you'll move away at some point. P5 even addresses it, most (all?) of the love interests will talk about your future with you if you date them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

Love is the point

Except for LDR never work out unless you devote insane amounts of time and resources to them? I play VNs where I can date my anime BFs but P5 romances are extremely abrupt with zero built-up other than [name] fell in love with you.

There's still platonic love too.

MrAptronym posted:

I mean the romance part of any of the links is relatively small anyway. Of course I'd still play P5, However, they aren't invalidated by the time limit. You can still form relationships with people even if you know you'll move away at some point. P5 even addresses it, most (all?) of the love interests will talk about your future with you if you date them.

Where did describe my relationship w/Makoto after I move back? During the marriage question, I said, "It's a secret" because Im 16 and I have no idea what Im doing with my life. thx.

Yes, it's a small part of the SL hence I'm wondering if they removed it would anyone REALLY care? I have the same issues with P3/4 so it's not Joker's problem.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

beep boop

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Makoto specifically: If I remember, you can talk about trying to get into the same university as her on Valentines day. I think yopu talk about her coming to visit too?

People would definitely care, that's not really the same question as whether people would still play the game. Have you seen how much people talk about the romance options here and everywhere else? It is definitely a draw for people.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just finished the game at 109 hours. Even with my very poor Confidant efficiency (not doing the ones that reward social stats until the end / at all, and not realizing how powerful Affinity Fortunes were until November-ish) I was able to max everyone except:

Tower (level 5)
Devil (level 6)
Hanged Man (level 7)

Not surprisingly, those were the three Confidants I cared least about, aside from Moon, which has bonuses too good to pass up.

Great game overall. It's definitely better than P4G, which was probably my second-favorite JRPG after Grandia 2.

My only huge complaint is that the dialogue gets pretty grating toward the last 4-5 hours of the game. There are hundreds of lines of arguing with mini-bosses/bosses about whether evil is bad :rolleyes:, and the writers seemed to feel like they needed to have every party member weigh in on every single thing. I guess that's not unusual for JRPGs and Persona in particular, but with a little editing and better localization they could go from a great story to a perfect one.

What all carries over into NG+?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alder posted:

Where did describe my relationship w/Makoto after I move back? During the marriage question, I said, "It's a secret" because Im 16 and I have no idea what Im doing with my life. thx.

MrAptronym posted:

Makoto specifically: If I remember, you can talk about trying to get into the same university as her on Valentines day. I think yopu talk about her coming to visit too?

Yeah, every romantic social link has a couple of lines where you can make plans to stay together, both during Valentine's Day and on the last day before Joker moves. That's more than Persona 4 had, at least before Golden (where I think the new Valentine's Day event often involves talking about your future together).

You also gotta remember that Japan isn't that big. The farthest away Joker could possibly live from Tokyo is like an 8-hour drive unless he's from a different island and if Shujin was the best choice of school for him to go to, and if Shido was in his town at all, he's probably not even close to that far away. It's not like he's in New York and moving back to Oregon or something. Any long-distance relationship is gonna be like a couple hours' train ride away on a weekend at most.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 20, 2017

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

What all carries over into NG+?

Social stats, the personas in your compendium (remember, these aren't level locked) and equipment. You also bring over items from the links you maxed, which grant you abilities once you unlock the link again.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Alder posted:

There were some cute bits but I'd probably like it a bit better without them, a lot of the BOY BETTER CHOOSE MY WORDS CAREFULLY scenes were p awkward.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i get that the protagonist needs to be blunt when saying "no", but some of the options make him seem pretty dang stupid. just tell them that you're dating someone, it aint that hard

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don't care about the romances. I romanced everybody on my first playthrough just to see if it hosed with valentines day and since I've seen that + got the romance trophy I don't need to romance anybody for NG+ runs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like the better answer to "so far the romances haven't been super compelling" isn't "so remove romances because everyone who likes their inclusion is wrong anyway," but rather, "write them better." Hell, the next Persona game will probably have a new director, so who knows, maybe that'll actually happen.

spit on my clit posted:

i get that the protagonist needs to be blunt when saying "no", but some of the options make him seem pretty dang stupid. just tell them that you're dating someone, it aint that hard

Yeah, some of the non-romantic choices there are real bad, especially the Futaba one. Shoulda said "because we're family" :colbert:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Alder posted:

Except for LDR never work out unless you devote insane amounts of time and resources to them? I play VNs where I can date my anime BFs but P5 romances are extremely abrupt with zero built-up other than [name] fell in love with you.

There's still platonic love too.

Yes, it's a small part of the SL hence I'm wondering if they removed it would anyone REALLY care? I have the same issues with P3/4 so it's not Joker's problem.

you... might be a little too invested in video game romances

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

"Persona 5 orgy" or "fat Yusuke circle jerk," you decide.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Harrow posted:

I feel like the better answer to "so far the romances haven't been super compelling" isn't "so remove romances because everyone who likes their inclusion is wrong anyway," but rather, "write them better." Hell, the next Persona game will probably have a new director, so who knows, maybe that'll actually happen.

IDK they still haven't gotten rid of gay panic from any of the modern Persona games. I feel like you're being too optimistic wrt their writing ability. Players are free to date w/e but I just wanted to know if we removed them would it change the gameplay significantly.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

you... might be a little too invested in video game romances

Yes, I like video games and discuss them on SA.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
when yuri lowenthal wants you to gently caress yosuke, you should be able to gently caress him

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alder posted:

IDK they still haven't gotten rid of gay panic from any of the modern Persona games. I feel like you're being too optimistic wrt their writing ability. Players are free to date w/e but I just wanted to know if we removed them would it change the gameplay significantly.

Well no, it wouldn't change the gameplay at all, but there are enough people who are invested in the Persona romances that I think removing them would be a significant negative for a lot of the fanbase. A perhaps not-surprising number of people don't play Persona for the gameplay as much as for the social sim stuff, after all.

I also think Persona 5's romances are a step up from 3 and 4. While they can sometimes be abrupt, it's worth noting that, at least for party members, we can assume there's plenty of interaction between that person and Joker off-screen, during dungeon runs, and so on. Their quality definitely varies, but that's true of all the writing in the game. I dunno, I don't think they're hurting anything for being there, basically, and Persona 5 also does a better job than 4 at selling the idea that Joker and whoever he's dating can realistically stay together after the game's over. (It's, uh, obviously irrelevant in 3.)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
persona 5 made the correct choice by making almost all slink girls dateable persona 6 needs to make all slink boys and girls dateable and persona 7 needs to make all npcs dateable

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
if I want to date newspaper club girl i shoudl be able to damnit

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

MotU posted:

if I want to date newspaper club girl i shoudl be able to damnit

Tanaka, funky student, floral pants man, rude maid. You can never date the best characters.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
RE: romances: I think that asking Makoto to move in with you is probably the best ending to her romantic arc because it also symbolizes her finally breaking free of her life as the upstanding student council presodent and "lesser" Niijima sister.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MotU posted:

persona 7 needs to make all npcs dateable

dog-loving girl should be dog-loving woman by then

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
we're going to adopt a cute shibe together, and name it kotaro 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What happened to Kotaro 1 :ohdear:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What happened to Kotaro 1 :ohdear:

Don't worry, he's living on a farm upstate.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Just got to the part where you fight Loki, and it's endlessly amusing to me that the Thor persona I paid to fuse like 20 levels early just completely no-sells the fight. The perfect blend of resistances and methods of completely ignoring the reflect-barrier mechanics.

I didn't realize it until halfway through the fight, but it made it so much funnier.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Rainuwastaken posted:

Just got to the part where you fight Loki, and it's endlessly amusing to me that the Thor persona I paid to fuse like 20 levels early just completely no-sells the fight. The perfect blend of resistances and methods of completely ignoring the reflect-barrier mechanics.

I didn't realize it until halfway through the fight, but it made it so much funnier.

Haha that owns

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I wonder what Sae would say if you started one of the social links from 3 or 4. Don't mean the SEES or Investigation Team members as they would just be the same lines she says about the Phantom Thieves, but people like the Gourmet King or Dying Kid.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Rirse posted:

I wonder what Sae would say if you started one of the social links from 3 or 4. Don't mean the SEES or Investigation Team members as they would just be the same lines she says about the Phantom Thieves, but people like the Gourmet King or Dying Kid.

P3P's koromaru link

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Nothing is free. In principle, they should spend those resources on things they're actually good at, instead of checking boxes to appease their players. I think it's too late to pull back on it now, though. People would be very cross about it.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

many johnnys posted:

P3P's koromaru link

Sae just shouting "WHO'S A GOOD BOY!!"

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
We found these "mysterious leaves" in your bag, among other things. Someone you know must be capable of growing and distributing these without alerting us. Who is your source?!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm trying to figure out what she'd say about the Gourmet King or the Old Couple, but I'm drawing a blank since a lot of Sae's S Link comments are about the benefits you get from the links. That said, I can kinda imagine Sae drilling the MC about his gaming habits if she found a portable game system in his belongings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Witnesses saw you repeatedly take on the Big Bang Burger Challenge - and win every time. You must have been studying under a renowned foodie. Tell us who this individual is!