Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Any AI trip reports? Please and thank you.

Also, whenever I see the thread title I think "you might as well face it you're addicted to dust".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

New bug: I got a +pop event on an outpost, and now the outpost can't make progress towards being a colony. Woo.

e: 2 turns later it just turns into a colony, even though it said there was no progress being made :confuoot: Frustratingly, this means the pop is now Haroshem, and I got 0 Riftborn.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tulip posted:

New bug: I got a +pop event on an outpost, and now the outpost can't make progress towards being a colony. Woo.

e: 2 turns later it just turns into a colony, even though it said there was no progress being made :confuoot: Frustratingly, this means the pop is now Haroshem, and I got 0 Riftborn.

You can just build Riftborn there.

Non-Riftborn pops are good to have on Riftborn planets! They eat the food that would otherwise be completely wasted, and generate soldiers without you needing to devote a colony to building soldiers. A non-Riftborn in every Riftborn system completely offsets almost all of the disadvantages of playing Riftborn.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Helion posted:

Brief one: Hard, Riftborn seem to be isolationist to the point that despite being stronger than me according to the diplomacy screen, they wouldn't declare war despite me blowing up a colony ship and several scouts in order to lock a free spiral arm down for future expansion.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Folks running out of probes: it's worth noting that one of the actions for your ships is "sleep until enemy appears or probe is replenished". If you're not in a rush to get to another system, you can just snooze your scout for a couple turns. Or send scouts out in groups.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

Folks running out of probes: it's worth noting that one of the actions for your ships is "sleep until enemy appears or probe is replenished". If you're not in a rush to get to another system, you can just snooze your scout for a couple turns. Or send scouts out in groups.

You can also refit your scouts to have two probe modules at the cost of their engine speed module.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Helion posted:

Also, whenever I see the thread title I think "you might as well face it you're addicted to dust".

Just finished another Hard Unfallen playthrough where I just force-bought Peace with everyone and just merrily went about vining everything on my way to an Economic Vicroty. AI's didn't seem to expand much at all, and didn't care that I was vining all their colonies. Never really saw them build many ships either. Not much war was happening at all, and looking at the end scores, the Sophon had a huge fuckoff army score, but they never, EVER, left their arm of the spiral. I've been playing through the Alpha, but I'm not exactly a good player. What do the harder difficulties do? Handicap you? Give the AIs cheats? Or just make them smarter a la GaCiv2?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Cease to Hope posted:

You can also refit your scouts to have two probe modules at the cost of their engine speed module.

I admit I like the probe thing, both this and the shooting them off across the galaxy in the hopes of finding something. I won't compare this game to Stellaris, because I feel they're two different beasts, but this little touch makes ES2 a lot more fun than Galciv3 or NuMOO. Makes it feel more like you're exploring the universe instead of just trudging around the map.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Economic victory might be a little poorly tuned. I went full builder in my UE game and the Riftborn got an economic victory about 15-20 turns before I could've finished the wonder victory. I wasn't that far off from getting it myself either. I might disable it from now on.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Helion posted:

Same, would make a good alternative title.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tulip posted:

Yeah I've seen this as well. I just checked the main forum, it's apparently a common, reported issue, so it's likely to get worked on. What other bugs have you been having? So far I've just had that and lots of MP desyncs.

Mostly that the game hangs when I try to open the Diplomacy Screen, and that the vines of the Unfallen are invisible to me. Curious.

Tried out a Voldyani game. So, it looks like one population unit for them in their ark counts as a population unit in EVERY settle-able planet? drat. That means, should they pursue settling techs, they can build tall REALLY fast; they just plop down an ark in a system and BAM! Every planet is being exploited at once.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

Mostly that the game hangs when I try to open the Diplomacy Screen, and that the vines of the Unfallen are invisible to me. Curious.

Tried out a Voldyani game. So, it looks like one population unit for them in their ark counts as a population unit in EVERY settle-able planet? drat. That means, should they pursue settling techs, they can build tall REALLY fast; they just plop down an ark in a system and BAM! Every planet is being exploited at once.

Yep. Yields per pop-on-planet-type, yields per-planet, and Environmentalist governments are also very good for them. If you have the spare Essence you can also force-grow an Ark's population.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Antti posted:

Economic victory might be a little poorly tuned. I went full builder in my UE game and the Riftborn got an economic victory about 15-20 turns before I could've finished the wonder victory. I wasn't that far off from getting it myself either. I might disable it from now on.

I think trade companies are the problem. Once you get your second trade company going, you start making ridiculous amounts of dust.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is there any way for Horatio to steal the UE's space hats? Or would that be considered a sin against beauty for covering up Horatio coneheads?

Also, is "Buy planets with money" even half as good as it sounds for the pacifist space mafia? It sounds like a pretty nice way to expand fast early, but that would require you to have a pile of money which probably requires a good groundwork of worlds already. So sounds kind of like a catch 22 that loses impact as the game goes on.

Though given how the only times I've seen the Lumeris mentioned in this thread at all is when people are listing ever race, I can't decide if that means they are too boring for old and new players to use. Or more hopefully if that means they are good enough to not have to post about sudden bugs or obtuse mechanics.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Section Z posted:

Also, is "Buy planets with money" even half as good as it sounds for the pacifist space mafia? It sounds like a pretty nice way to expand fast early, but that would require you to have a pile of money which probably requires a good groundwork of worlds already. So sounds kind of like a catch 22 that loses impact as the game goes on.

Bootstrapping early on never, ever loses impact. That said, Lumeris are pretty vanilla.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Antti posted:

Same happened to me. Merrily swatting down Vodyani arks when I get told that the Riftborn are about to win. Some time later, they win. Yay?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are planetary invasions insanely difficult to do? I havent even scratched that part, just learned how to make better fighters, but wanna know for future plans.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Are planetary invasions insanely difficult to do? I havent even scratched that part, just learned how to make better fighters, but wanna know for future plans.

No, but you should mouse over the invasion button before clicking it. The first number is an approximation of troop strength.

If the numbers are in your opponent's favor or just too close for comfort, sitting a fleet in orbit and blockading it will drain the garrison.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2017

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Also, remember to occasionally stop to let your invasion fleets' manpower replenish, lest your invasion devolve into a hellish Space Vietnam as the defenders spam the Conscription option against your ragged and weary troops.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Antti posted:

Economic victory might be a little poorly tuned.

That and happiness, I think.

I've only played a game as Sophons, but my systems were all Ecstatic for most of the game with none of the hero abilities, maybe 1-2 of the several happiness buildings I had techs for, and me being too lazy/clueless to game the politics system or exploit luxuries.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there a manpower cap? Or should I go hog wild with food production when all my planets are full, along with those military upgrades

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Dartonus posted:

Also, remember to occasionally stop to let your invasion fleets' manpower replenish, lest your invasion devolve into a hellish Space Vietnam as the defenders spam the Conscription option against your ragged and weary troops.
This is ground war with entrenched Cravers right here.

Anyone got any advice on early game with the cyborg space insects? I'm getting whooped or having revolts compared to how chill the Riftborn were.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a manpower cap? Or should I go hog wild with food production when all my planets are full, along with those military upgrades

There is. The military screen shows you what it is. It is expanded through the military research tree as a tier bonus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cease to Hope posted:

If you were iffy about Endless Legend, this probably isn't going to be for you. It's Endless Legend plus some of ES's bad ideas.

Endless Legend, to me, was a case of "this would probably be a really deep and engaging game if I could figure out how the gently caress to actually play it well." Never gelled with me at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Glidergun posted:

Yep. Yields per pop-on-planet-type, yields per-planet, and Environmentalist governments are also very good for them. If you have the spare Essence you can also force-grow an Ark's population.

It's worth noting that Vodyani aren't subject to the normal per-planet population limits either. Their max population per-Ark goes up with development level (the things that require Luxury resources to build), and that applies to every planet evenly. This makes Gas Giants especially good for them.

Cease to Hope posted:

Bootstrapping early on never, ever loses impact. That said, Lumeris are pretty vanilla.

Lumeris are actually much more restricted in early game expansion, in my experience, because it's cheaper to just build a colony ship than it is to buy your 3rd and 4th system. Although expanding too fast can have its own issues (like all your outposts eating your food).

Avasculous posted:

I've only played a game as Sophons, but my systems were all Ecstatic for most of the game with none of the hero abilities, maybe 1-2 of the several happiness buildings I had techs for, and me being too lazy/clueless to game the politics system or exploit luxuries.

If you have extra happiness, that just means you should be expanding more. Happiness is the only penalty for expansion, and if you don't have a large penalty that you're making up for with bonuses, then you're doing it wrong.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Endless Legend, to me, was a case of "this would probably be a really deep and engaging game if I could figure out how the gently caress to actually play it well." Never gelled with me at all.

As much as people love it, Endless Legend never gelled with me either. I prefer Endless Space and obviously Endless Space 2 because they're more streamlined.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I think I enjoyed Endless Legend the best of the three, but I didn't play as much as Space because playing on a dying planet was loving depressing. Like I got a bit melancholy when they patched Auriga into space and it was a barren rock.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What causes some of my population to leave my planet? The Hissho left to the point where I don't have them anymore at all, and my minor faction keeps leaving too. Why is that?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Avasculous posted:

Sophons start with a client race that has an inherent happiness boost. You have to get really aggressive about expansion to start having happiness problems even if you don't have that going for you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jastiger posted:

What causes some of my population to leave my planet? The Hissho left to the point where I don't have them anymore at all, and my minor faction keeps leaving too. Why is that?

Are you playing as the Riftborn? It's probably because they're running out of food: it's simply negative population growth. Riftborn don't produce any food at all no matter the planet, and you're probably settling Sterile worlds anyway.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Clarste posted:

Are you playing as the Riftborn? It's probably because they're running out of food: it's simply negative population growth. Riftborn don't produce any food at all no matter the planet, and you're probably settling Sterile worlds anyway.

Nah I'm the United Empire.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ok, sounds like I need to do basic you've never played a 4X game before tutorial. Problem- anyway to do that without uninstalling the game and downloading it again?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Comstar posted:

Ok, sounds like I need to do basic you've never played a 4X game before tutorial. Problem- anyway to do that without uninstalling the game and downloading it again?

Mouse over "new game" and the tutorial option pops up a bit to the right, under "quick start".

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Is there any way to manually set which ships go in which flotilla during a space battle? Like, I don't want my three battle ships split up, i want them grouped together but I cant do that. Cant move any ships around at all, tried everything i could think of. Only way for ships to move around was changing tactics, but that still doesn't get me what i want.

edit: nvm figured it out, it was because of the sort option i was using

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cease to Hope posted:

Mouse over "new game" and the tutorial option pops up a bit to the right, under "quick start".

Oh wow, that is MUCH better. I made a clear mistake and assumed playing 4X games meant something, the basic tutorial is much better. I think the middle tutorial is for someone who maybe played their earlier games.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Endless Megathread - Do the baby tutorial, you'll need it.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Quornes posted:

Is there any way to manually set which ships go in which flotilla during a space battle? Like, I don't want my three battle ships split up, i want them grouped together but I cant do that. Cant move any ships around at all, tried everything i could think of. Only way for ships to move around was changing tactics, but that still doesn't get me what i want.

edit: nvm figured it out, it was because of the sort option i was using

You should be able to click on the ship icons and move them to different boxes so long as you've got a fairly big fleet; I think the additional flotilla boxes unlock if you have a certain number of command points.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm still trying to figure out the game a bit, but can anyone tell me what's up with the Hyperium home planet perk? I can see that my home planet has Titanium and Hyperium. I have the tech to exploit both but I'm only getting a titanium income. Hyperium is at 0 for some reason.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the game a bit, but can anyone tell me what's up with the Hyperium home planet perk? I can see that my home planet has Titanium and Hyperium. I have the tech to exploit both but I'm only getting a titanium income. Hyperium is at 0 for some reason.

This is bugged for a lot of players, including me at the moment.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
How do I get my home world to not hemorrhage food every time I start an outpost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

How do I get my home world to not hemorrhage food every time I start an outpost?

If you go to the outpost, there's an place on the left-hand side that lets you pick which colony sends food to set it up. It may be possible to set it to no colony at all.