Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

That's a funny way to say Max Kepler.

Paracaidas posted:

e:^ :hfive:

:colbert: Max Kepler

It's easily Dozier unless you hang out at Subway a lot I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

A friend took a stab at this one:

https://twitter.com/FabGen/status/866020185844613120

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Clearly it should be Dickbutt

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pancakes posted:

Dex or Grichuk.

Why the hell do the Cardinals always come in second in any bidding war?

Looks like maybe they didn't. Chicago media reporting Cardinals offered more money.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/866028335519866880

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

One part Gold Glove shortstop, one part dream boat

And most of the rest of the roster looks like Buster Posey or Jack Sparrow
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

His hair is an industrial grease fire waiting to happen

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Niwrad posted:

Looks like maybe they didn't. Chicago media reporting Cardinals offered more money.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/866028335519866880

I took that to mean that the Cardinals offered more money but he signed with the Sox despite it. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm too used to the Cardinals losing out on bids at this point. Until Mo tells me differently I'll assume Robert's going to Low Interest Ballpark.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, over the past three days I just did a re-read of The Lords of the Realm (which is a must-read for anyone with a passing interest in the history of MLB labor-management relations), but I had forgotten that it just does a cold stop about a month after the 1994 strike began. Are there any books that cover the resolution of that strike, the strike that was averted at the 11th hour in 2002, the transition of power from Fehr to Weiner, etc.?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Today is my birthday. This is a great present.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

I took that to mean that the Cardinals offered more money but he signed with the Sox despite it.

Yep. Sounds like the Cardinals offered slightly more but the ChiSox pulled the same thing the Cubs did with Lester a few years ago and put together some kind of video presentation that swayed him to sign with them over more money.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Yep. Sounds like the Cardinals offered slightly more but the ChiSox pulled the same thing the Cubs did with Lester a few years ago and put together some kind of video presentation that swayed him to sign with them over more money.

Between all this young talent and the fact that Cubs games are god-awful expensive, I might cave and get Sox season tickets at this rate. drat Cardinals, playing in a city I'd rather not live in.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Sydin posted:

Exclusive clip of the leaked video footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpK2FDBe_qs

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Reinsdorf outbidding other teams made me question things. This makes more sense. Seems like the strong presence of Cuban players in the organization held some sway.

Sox seem to be making smart moves. I can't remember the last time both the Sox and Cubs were good at the same time. Could be the case in a few years.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Timby posted:

So, over the past three days I just did a re-read of The Lords of the Realm (which is a must-read for anyone with a passing interest in the history of MLB labor-management relations), but I had forgotten that it just does a cold stop about a month after the 1994 strike began. Are there any books that cover the resolution of that strike, the strike that was averted at the 11th hour in 2002, the transition of power from Fehr to Weiner, etc.?

I think someone mentioned that there's a newer edition that has a post-strike epilogue but I might be thinking of something else.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

rickiep00h posted:

I think someone mentioned that there's a newer edition that has a post-strike epilogue but I might be thinking of something else.

The additions to the book are still dated Nov 1994 (I have it) so it doesn't go into the resolution of the strike and what went on into more recent times. I would be interested to know if there's a book that covers the last twenty years or labor relations in some aspect.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a book thread in this forum? I'd love some recommendations on baseball books from some of you guys. The last one I read that was recommended was "The Only Rule is it Has to Work" was great.

Lords of the Realm looks interesting.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

I assume it was a single slide PowerPoint that just said "We're not in St. Louis".

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Niwrad posted:

Is there a book thread in this forum? I'd love some recommendations on baseball books from some of you guys. The last one I read that was recommended was "The Only Rule is it Has to Work" was great.

Lords of the Realm looks interesting.

I think we might have had one at some point? If so I'd think it's surely archived by now, I remember guys who haven't posted in forever suggesting things.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
We had an offseason book thread in the 2015-16 offseason. The OP has a list of books that we voted on, we ultimately chose Veeck as in Wreck (which is great)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750089

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lords of the Realm is the best baseball book I've ever read. (I've only read four, though. That, Veeck as in Wreck, Moneyball, and The Book.) I was gonna read RA Dickey's book in the offseason but never did...

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
News: Fatass loving Matt Adams has been traded to Atlanta.

Views: Can somebody please post Mt. Adams dot jpeg, because I need to text it to a close personal friend who is legit distraught. Also, now is probably a good time to tell my Matt Adams story.

So I live in Springfield, MO, where the Cardinals AA affiliate is located. Great, small stadium, and it's a fun time. Anyway, Big City played here briefly, and a coworker of mine was sleeping with his roommate, which is weird because she's usually into chunky hick dudes. Anyway, in case it wasn't completely obvious, she said Mt. Adams was a huge slob and had multiple garbage bags filled with junk lying around his room. The End, No Moral. Will miss Fat Adams.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Other baseball books that always come up in these discussions include:

Baseball Between the Numbers
Moneyball
(both a little outdated but worth reading if you haven't yet)

Ball Four
A Well-Paid Slave
The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O’Neil’s America

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

rickiep00h posted:

Lords of the Realm is the best baseball book I've ever read. (I've only read four, though. That, Veeck as in Wreck, Moneyball, and The Book.) I was gonna read RA Dickey's book in the offseason but never did...

I've never actually read it but everyone in the world seems to recommend Ball Four if you ask about baseball books. I should cross that one off the list.

Your post made me think of that since I've read about 4 baseball books too.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Moneyball

Ball Four
A Well-Paid Slave

Recently read Ankiel's book The Phenomenon and it was really good. Pretty heartbreaking in parts but a really good read.

I'd be all for a new baseball/sports book thread.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

News: Fatass loving Matt Adams has been traded to Atlanta.

Views: Can somebody please post Mt. Adams dot jpeg, because I need to text it to a close personal friend who is legit distraught. Also, now is probably a good time to tell my Matt Adams story.

So I live in Springfield, MO, where the Cardinals AA affiliate is located. Great, small stadium, and it's a fun time. Anyway, Big City played here briefly, and a coworker of mine was sleeping with his roommate, which is weird because she's usually into chunky hick dudes. Anyway, in case it wasn't completely obvious, she said Mt. Adams was a huge slob and had multiple garbage bags filled with junk lying around his room. The End, No Moral. Will miss Fat Adams.

Is Yuan Yepez poo poo? He's poo poo, isn't he...

Between this and the Sox sniping Robert, this is a lovely day to be a Cards fan.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yepez is a tweener with raw power who's not a great defender at 3B but probably doesn't have the bat to play 1B in the majors. He's only like 18 though so he's certainly got the potential to still be interesting.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

A Well-Paid Slave

As the resident Curt Flood obsessive fan, this cannot be emphasized enough. It includes a really good postmortem on Flood v. Kuhn, which is one of the worst-written SCOTUS opinions in the last 50 years. Please note I only say "one of", because it doesn't hold the show "24" up as a basis to deny people their civil rights. I'm also a fan of "The Art of Fielding", from a fiction standpoint.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Between this and the Sox sniping Robert, this is a lovely day to be a Cards fan.

Meh, I'm not too broken up about trading away Adams. Trading him away may be good protection against Mathenaging.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

Moneyball

Ball Four
A Well-Paid Slave

Book that never comes up but always should: Palmer & Weaver - Together We Were Eleven-Foot-Nine.

Edit: Still one of the funniest passages I've ever read in a book:

quote:

His language goes from colorful to off-color to only words that rhyme with duck.

And you don't have to be at Earl's table to hear him. In fact, you don't have to be in Minneapolis to hear him. Blue hair is turning bluer. Salesmen are blushing. Women gasp. Men gasp. Then nobody gasps because everyone is silent.

Earl rocks back in his chair, just about to come forward and pound the table for emphasis and a refill. Nature phones in. Earl's gotta relieve himself. Right now. A little too loud, about the volume of a good p.a. system, he bellows, "Where's the toilet?"

A guy at the table next to him says, "The toilet's in your mouth."

Earl rocks forward. Hmm. He's pretty sure that's not the location he was looking for. He makes his way from the table, across the room, and over to the door with the large "M" and little plastic man on it.

While he's in there, he must be thinking, Maybe, just maybe, I was a touch louder than I should have been. Possibly, my language wasn't quite as delicate as it could have been. Perhaps, I was a vile pig.

Now, Earl really never meant to hurt anyone. Okay, maybe the players and the coaches and the umpires and most of major league baseball, but no real people. So, he feels bad. He better make amends.

He comes back into the dining room. On his way, he stops at the offended table. Not all of them. That would have taken all night. But at the one where the guy suggested that Earl's mouth only needed a handle in order to flush.

Earl looks at the people at the table with every ounce of sincerity he can muster. His voice is low and discreet. His manner is dignified. He leans over intimately and says, "I'm sorry. You lose a tough one and you can't get a table in the dining room and you have a few drinks and pretty soon the 'cock suckers' and 'mother fuckers' just come out."

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 21, 2017

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Aaron Sanchez back to the DL with his finger issue. I can't remember the last time the Jays were hit this hard by injuries

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Matt Adams? Really? Did the team plane need ballast?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Matt Adams fat jokes are pretty 2014, yall

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I get the Braves trading for Adams as a Freeman replacement, but why bother? It's not like they were going into the season expecting to compete (and they definitely won't without Freeman), just slot a minor league filler guy into first and call it a day.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what happened to adams? he showed signs of crushing but just sort of sputtered out? trouble against lhp too much?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I get the Braves trading for Adams as a Freeman replacement, but why bother? It's not like they were going into the season expecting to compete (and they definitely won't without Freeman), just slot a minor league filler guy into first and call it a day.

Yeah, I care less about the past fatness then the complete organizational pointlessness. Play Ruiz and Camargo and be done with it.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

what happened to adams? he showed signs of crushing but just sort of sputtered out? trouble against lhp too much?

he literally cannot hit LHP, yes

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the most handsome player on your team?

Robert Gsellman, and it's not even close.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

I've never actually read it but everyone in the world seems to recommend Ball Four if you ask about baseball books. I should cross that one off the list.

Your post made me think of that since I've read about 4 baseball books too.

Ball Four is fantastic.

The Larry Dierker story Bouton goes to the Astros stands out. I have a copy of the book on my shelf and need to reread it.

The sports book thread always fizzles out quickly, but it's a joy for the week or so anyone cares.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

That would be JD "Just Dingers" Martinez, who is currently rocking a 71.4% HR/FB rate.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Kiermaier :swoon:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I've always believed in Avi Garcia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Mets have shut down David Wright's rehab program for the time being, which is not a good sign.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/05/david-wright-suffers-another-setback.html

• Locked thread