Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Nothing is free. In principle, they should spend those resources on things they're actually good at, instead of checking boxes to appease their players. I think it's too late to pull back on it now, though. People would be very cross about it.

I mean, sure, but "generally improve all the social aspects" seems like a good goal for a sequel, right? The social links in general have gotten better with each one, after all. There's no reason to say "yes, but it is impossible that this particular aspect of them could improve without the rest of the game suffering," y'know?

I should note that I'm of the opinion they're about as good as they need to be for what kind of game this is. The one thing I'd want would be for the game to acknowledge if your MC is dating someone more outside of social link scenes, but other than that, I'm not coming to Persona for the full visual novel experience. It's just one part of a big and complex game with a whole lot going on. I thought Persona 5 did a decent enough job of it, as far as JRPG romances go, myself. :shrug:

And romantic social links definitely aren't going away in Persona unless social links in general do, and that's definitely not happening. But really my stance is "they're perfectly okay and there's no reason to wish for their removal" I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

spit on my clit posted:

Witnesses saw you repeatedly take on the Big Bang Burger Challenge - and win every time. You must have been studying under a renowned foodie. Tell us who this individual is!

Rare food ingredients and exotic dishes were discovered among your belongings. Where did you procure these items?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
:stare: Why is there a giant green penis monster :stare:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Frankly if personas represent the psyche I'm surprised there aren't more like that.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm trying to figure out what she'd say about the Gourmet King or the Old Couple, but I'm drawing a blank since a lot of Sae's S Link comments are about the benefits you get from the links. That said, I can kinda imagine Sae drilling the MC about his gaming habits if she found a portable game system in his belongings.

The old couple is easy.

WHO SHOVED THESE RICE BALLS AND TAKOYAKI DOWN IN YOUR PANTS????

I have no clue what P3's Tower link would be however.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

I see you've met Mara.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

Boring answer is that Mara is a demon who attempted to corrupt the Buddha with pleasures of the flesh. Our fine friends in Japan took that legend and said "okay, he's a penis chariot."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rainuwastaken posted:

It's just here to welcome you to the wonderful world of SMT spinoffs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's probably telling that after you play a few SMT games and spinoffs your reaction to the giant green penis in a chariot just becomes, "Oh, hi, Mara, nice to see you again. What silly penis puns do you have for me this time?"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
IM COMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING! FOR YOU!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Rainuwastaken posted:

they're called demons and it's called symbolism

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Oxxidation posted:

Boring answer is that Mara is a demon who attempted to corrupt the Buddha with pleasures of the flesh. Our fine friends in Japan took that legend and said "okay, he's a penis chariot."

He's a gigantic dick because Mara is Japanese slang for penis.

He also sometimes doesn't even have the sweet skull death chariot. It wasn't in SMT1, Nocturne, some variations in Imagine and half his appearances here for example.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wasn't the Nocturne one the "just-the-tip" variant? You're definitely not getting the sweet skull chariot with a Mara that's not even half mast. :colbert:

That said I appreciate how Mara represents both Lust and Wrath.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Okay I just maxed out Kawakami's S.Link and didn't get a "I need to choose my words carefully" prompt throughout the entire S.Link. Should I start worrying if I haven't got a prompt like that for Chihaya at Rank 8?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kawakami's is kinda hidden. There's like 2 or 3 options you need to select to date her and that prompt doesn't show until after the first one.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Kawakami's is kinda hidden. There's like 2 or 3 options you need to select to date her and that prompt doesn't show until after the first one.

Oh, okay. I was confused why it wasn't showing up and I got really confused and worried for a moment. Thanks!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The older women all have a dialogue branch that goes,
Confidant: "Why did you keep showing up though?"
and if you don't choose, "I wanted to see you.", you never get to the romance warning.

Edit:
Oh yeah, and Chihiya has, "Say, Joker... Are you into older women?" which was pretty hilarious.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 21, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ChaosArgate posted:

Wasn't the Nocturne one the "just-the-tip" variant? You're definitely not getting the sweet skull chariot with a Mara that's not even half mast. :colbert:

Yeah in Nocturne Mara's just a big, extendy dickhead.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Chihaya just flat out asks if you're into older women.

Takemi's had the warning though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Takemi's had the warning though.

I thought Takemi's warning popped up on the last dialogue tree:
"Ha, Ha, just kidding." or
"I meant what I said"
But it's been awhile.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mara appears as just a big penis head slime, as the result of a failed summoning ritual. She's used as like, the last miniboss in the first Palace.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Well I hosed up

Good thing I have backup saves, but I am not looking forward to getting all the way back to the 21st of September

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

DalaranJ posted:

I thought Takemi's warning popped up on the last dialogue tree:
"Ha, Ha, just kidding." or
"I meant what I said"
But it's been awhile.

Actually, when she asks why did you keep coming, the game says to choose your words carefully.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Well I hosed up

Good thing I have backup saves, but I am not looking forward to getting all the way back to the 21st of September

How? Did you tell Chihaya you weren't into older women?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Chihaya just flat out asks if you're into older women.

To which you can reply, "Hell yeah I am."

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

How? Did you tell Chihaya you weren't into older women?

That was it, didn't know this game had flags like most dating sims

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Chihiya immediately calls Tae, Sadayo and Ichiko to tell them the bad news.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm starting to get past 11/20. I wasn't prepared for how amazing Akechi becomes, he's quickly becoming one of my favorite Persona characters.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm starting to get past 11/20. I wasn't prepared for how amazing Akechi becomes, he's quickly becoming one of my favorite Persona characters.

Keep going. He gets even better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What did he do, I don't remember anything.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Harrow posted:

And romantic social links definitely aren't going away in Persona unless social links in general do, and that's definitely not happening. But really my stance is "they're perfectly okay and there's no reason to wish for their removal" I guess

We can compromise and say the MC does not have to date all the female SL and they should be platonic like Sae. So that'd make 3/9 undateable which is fair because I can't date boys either. I suggest we cut out Ohya, Fortuneteller, and whoever the last person who ranked lowest in the poll.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Today's "Thing I only just found out after beating the game twice": The Reaper will get two actions per turn... unless you intentionally let him ambush you, in which case he only gets one :psyduck:

On the upside, now there's finally a justifiable reason for the Thermopylae skill to exist, I guess???

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
lmao, i thought i was finally in control of juggling confidants and the game just introduced 3 new ones

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I got the achievement for unlocking all the hangout spots, is there a separate one for taking somebody to all of them?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjEAfgSNUXg&t=14s

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I made a thing in under an hour

https://twitter.com/AlfalfaTheRoach/status/866312526086197248

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Dumb opinions incoming: It would be cool if the next game took away the MC's special snowflake persona switching powers, and instead focused on giving him one persona that developed over the course of the game and evolved like his teammates'. It could even develop different ways based on conversational choices and/or player input. Fusion could still be in, but the results would be something like skill cards (usable by the whole team) and/or items.

This would not only make switching up party members necessary, but it would also give you more reason to replay the game once you're done.

Also, the high school setting has gotten old. I want to be a Japanese office drone or something and deal with office politics and paying my electric bill between trips into peoples' subconscious.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Excuse me, lady, did you just accuse me of stalking your son? Tell whoever you want, I'm wanted for murder right now.

I never noticed before that if you use third eye on a Confidant it pops up the actual Tarot card.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It says here you posted this at 4:19PM

Have you considered going to bed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I do appreciate how Joker feels so bad about his feud with the cat, he goes to bed early several days in a row of his own volition

E:

DalaranJ posted:

Excuse me, lady, did you just accuse me of stalking your son? Tell whoever you want, I'm wanted for murder right now.

On my first run I intentionally decided not to worry about maxing confidants, so I didn't get around to Hermit 3 until December. I imagine the promise of Position Hack was more important to Joker than actually doing what he was supposed to be doing in December.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 21, 2017