Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RatHat posted:

That's also why the big recycler in Hardware Labs is so fun to play with.

I threw everything I could pick up in the lab where it's located just to see if it really lived up to the name. Was not disappointed :)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love the ball of Organic Material in the Recycler Lab with a note that says "stood a little too close to a Recycler Charge during testing, what you see here is what's left of my left foot".

I vacuumed up that ball into my inventory then read the note :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RatHat posted:

That's also why the big recycler in Hardware Labs is so fun to play with.

Wait, where is the big recycler?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, where is the big recycler?

I think he's talking about the one where you first get recycler charges, with a bunch of mimics in a tube. I didn't realize you could re-use it, but I guess you can just throw stuff in it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mimir posted:

I think he's talking about the one where you first get recycler charges, with a bunch of mimics in a tube. I didn't realize you could re-use it, but I guess you can just throw stuff in it?

Yeah but you gotta put more recycler charges in.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Yeah. You have to put a recylcler grande in the tub too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi. I have a question about detecting enemies. I'm about 10-11 hours in (on hard). I'm at the arboretum. I've noticed before that I'll find a mimic with the psycoscope, kill it, then as I walk over to it, a bunch more mimics will appear. I thought I saw that happen earlier and then thought, 'nah, I must have missed them', but in the arboretum there's a waterfall/pond with a mimic mimicing a lily. I killed it from far off, approached the pond, saw nothing, took off my psychoscope and was jumped by like 2-3 mimics. Is there some thing going on that I haven't figured out? (clearly, yes). What is that thing?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

redreader posted:

Hi. I have a question about detecting enemies. I'm about 10-11 hours in (on hard). I'm at the arboretum. I've noticed before that I'll find a mimic with the psycoscope, kill it, then as I walk over to it, a bunch more mimics will appear. I thought I saw that happen earlier and then thought, 'nah, I must have missed them', but in the arboretum there's a waterfall/pond with a mimic mimicing a lily. I killed it from far off, approached the pond, saw nothing, took off my psychoscope and was jumped by like 2-3 mimics. Is there some thing going on that I haven't figured out? (clearly, yes). What is that thing?

Your chipset only detects regular mimics, not greater ones. There's an upgraded version that detects both.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Im in the middle of 'Reboot', I'm at the very beginning of the power plant, and I have to get pst the security annex. However, the issue is that the only two ways i can see is by either hacking the security console (which I dont have hacking) or thru that vent near the ceiling, which I cannot reach. What am I missing?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Im in the middle of 'Reboot', I'm at the very beginning of the power plant, and I have to get pst the security annex. However, the issue is that the only two ways i can see is by either hacking the security console (which I dont have hacking) or thru that vent near the ceiling, which I cannot reach. What am I missing?
The fact that you can use the GLOO gun to build platforms in order to access the vent.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

LemonDrizzle posted:

The fact that you can use the GLOO gun to build platforms in order to access the vent.

wha? drat i did miss that... Thanks!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Had an annoying bug in Cargo Bay. After resetting the power plant to restore the airlocks and elevators, I went around following up side quests and went to the Cargo Bay. Everyone there was dead. My last manual save was three or so hours ago; if I continue, will I miss much content from the dead survivors?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

Had an annoying bug in Cargo Bay. After resetting the power plant to restore the airlocks and elevators, I went around following up side quests and went to the Cargo Bay. Everyone there was dead. My last manual save was three or so hours ago; if I continue, will I miss much content from the dead survivors?

I'm not entirely sure that was a bug - did you spring clean the place before you left and murder every hostile? (not sure if that's a factor but I definitely did that)

Otherwise I don't think you'll miss out on much content as such. You do get more missions from people you saved who hang out in your office though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love the ball of Organic Material in the Recycler Lab with a note that says "stood a little too close to a Recycler Charge during testing, what you see here is what's left of my left foot".

I hope she got a good replacement foot! How do you think prosthetics are in this setting?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Speedball posted:

I hope she got a good replacement foot! How do you think prosthetics are in this setting?

Probably made of exotic materials :tinfoil:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

wha? drat i did miss that... Thanks!

Don't feel too bad. I spent a good while trying to build a tower out of furniture just so I could get something on top of the operator dispenser to jump off of - before I realized I could have just GLOO'd it (like I'd actually done several times already in the game).

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
So i just found out that if you take care of Kaspar fast enough that solves the oxygen problem in cargo bay as well.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

the black husserl posted:

The hard crashes really suck. But I loved how the game world was constantly changing so that no place was ever "cleared" and safe. Instead of methodically cleaning out rooms and sterilizing everything in typical "videogame" way, it actually felt like the Typhon were a constantly expanding threat that could never be defeated with combat alone.

Game design in mind, that works great for me when I "clear" one area and can prep to move on to a previously cleared area that's been reinfected. It's a bitch when I just escaped some shithole with no drops or recycler/fabs nearby and walk into 4 themed phantoms and a telepath standing ten feet in front of the door

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

InAndOutBrennan posted:

So i just found out that if you take care of Kaspar fast enough that solves the oxygen problem in cargo bay as well.
If you do this some of Elazar's people will die in the process of retaking control of Life Support. Killing Kaspar only unlocks the doors, it doesn't restore life support.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Kurzon posted:

If you do this some of Elazar's people will die in the process of retaking control of Life Support. Killing Kaspar only unlocks the doors, it doesn't restore life support.

Weird in my last run I did my best to rush and fix life support before air ran out and got more or less the same convo: We've retaken life support cost some lives but no one is going to mess with air on this station again.

Same I got now.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Weird in my last run I did my best to rush and fix life support before air ran out and got more or less the same convo: We've retaken life support cost some lives but no one is going to mess with air on this station again.

Same I got now.

Did you also disable/kill Dahl when you went to Life Support? If not, presumably he'd have been there with his bots to fight off the Cargo Bay team's assault

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Same I got now.

What I meant was if you go to Life Support and restart the system yourself, you will destroy the Military Operators and take out Dahl, sparing Elazar's people the risk. I mean, you're a badass Typhon-hybrid and they're frail humans, better you than them.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Did you also disable/kill Dahl when you went to Life Support? If not, presumably he'd have been there with his bots to fight off the Cargo Bay team's assault

Yeah that's the thing. I did that last time. Since this is no mods run I just thought gently caress it and ran for Kaspar and got basically the exact same result. Is there another variation?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Not that I've seen. I tried it both ways and gotten the "took some casualties" dialogue both times.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Operator dispensers have a limit of 3 operators before shutting down. Does this value replenish over time?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I just bought this game and apologies if this is already a known issue, but is anyone else's audio direction messed up or reversed? Sounds that should originate from the left are heard from the right, and I feel like front to back is reversed as well.

e: Doing some testing - sentry bots have the right audio direction, but other things do not.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 21, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

theDOWmustflow posted:

I just bought this game and apologies if this is already a known issue, but is anyone else's audio direction messed up or reversed? Sounds that should originate from the left are heard from the right, and I feel like front to back is reversed as well.

Try updating your headset driver. That was a general issue with 7.1 headsets in games that seems to be fixed now.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Dogen posted:

Not that I've seen. I tried it both ways and gotten the "took some casualties" dialogue both times.

Yeah, same with me when I knocked Dahl unconscious, then re-enabled life support, and then took out Kaspar. I think you'll always get that line regardless of your actions. Maybe Elazar's people had to mix it up with some Typhon while exfiltrating.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, is there a way to repressurize the Shuttle Bay?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a way to repressurize the Shuttle Bay?

I think it must happen on its own toward the end of the game? I meant to make a note last time to see if it had but I didn't.

I don't think there is a way to fix it yourself.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Kurzon posted:

Operator dispensers have a limit of 3 operators before shutting down. Does this value replenish over time?

It does not. Once you're out, you're out.

This actually reminds me of one thing that bothers me (minor mid to late game spoilers) - So January, December and October are all operators that Morgan made. Presumably there's others and we know Morgan was requisitioning operator parts left and right. But January comes out of an operator dispenser in your office right in front of your eyes. Where was he broadcasting from before that? Why can't he make another "body" if you kill him? What was Morgan making, the blueprints? Why would he need operator parts for that?

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 21, 2017

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Just beat my first run in 29 hours doing human only nice guy. Got all the collectible achievements as well, so subsequent typhon and flesh & steel runs should go by pretty quickly after I take a break.

Ending chat The ending twist was pretty well done. It's telegraphed, but not heavily so. If you pay attention it's not like it comes out of the blue or anything.

I really hope this sells well enough to get some DLC or a sequel. Anyone know how the numbers look compared to Dishonored 2?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This game rules, even if every time i turn around i seem to have triggered some new questline. (this isn't a bad thing, but jeez lemme pare the log down a little!)

I have a question about stuff in the Cargo Area

I'm supposed to set up some turrets to help these people out and 1) where do i put them? I tried to set them behind those barriers and on boxes and stuff but it appears not to count since nothing changed with any NPCs. and 2) when i turn them on are they all just going to turn on me since i uh have been jamming like every Typhon mod possible into my brain. Is there a way to avoid that? I'd like to save these people if i can.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

a kitten posted:

This game rules, even if every time i turn around i seem to have triggered some new questline. (this isn't a bad thing, but jeez lemme pare the log down a little!)

I have a question about stuff in the Cargo Area

I'm supposed to set up some turrets to help these people out and 1) where do i put them? I tried to set them behind those barriers and on boxes and stuff but it appears not to count since nothing changed with any NPCs. and 2) when i turn them on are they all just going to turn on me since i uh have been jamming like every Typhon mod possible into my brain. Is there a way to avoid that? I'd like to save these people if i can.

1. They need to be set up in the blue box by the door.
2. You can hack the turrets ahead of time to prevent them from shooting you

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

1) :doh:
2) aha! Of course. Somehow spaced on that.

Thanks.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Gadzuko posted:

This actually reminds me of one thing that bothers me (minor mid to late game spoilers) - So January, December and October are all operators that Morgan made. Presumably there's others and we know Morgan was requisitioning operator parts left and right. But January comes out of an operator dispenser in your office right in front of your eyes. Where was he broadcasting from before that? Why can't he make another "body" if you kill him? What was Morgan making, the blueprints? Why would he need operator parts for that?

That's a good observation. He definitely built/modified operators himself. January coming out of the dispenser seems like it could be an oversight/plothole/something that needs to be explained further. But December we don't witness coming out of a dispenser at least. And October we see in a disassembled state and hooked up to a computer in Morgan's quarters. Just speculation/guessing on my part but I'd guess Morgan didn't build the operators from scratch but modified them with parts to accommodate a more sophisticated AI. Basically he made prototypes, and after doing this a few times he just modified his office operator dispenser to make the operators this way. As for January making a new body I'd guess that the AIs have some sort of DRM on them where only one copy can exist.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Hello I have recently completed the videogame Prey

Game gets weaker towards the end - I was pretty much just legging it from place to place as I couldn't be bothered fighting - but it's nowhere near as bad as the Bioshocks or, really, if I'm honest, System Shock 2. I wasn't quite expecting that ending, so well done. Minor side quests crapped out - Dr. Igwe seemed in multiple places around the station simultaneously for some reason. The infinitely-respawning bots I found annoying, but I should have probably used all that copious QBeam ammo they gave me from killing them.

Is the whole simulation-empathy-test bit searing critical commentary on the lousy fake moral choices games force you to make (Hello Bioshock and your "DO YOU WANT TO KILL TINY CHILD Y/N") or just a hasty excuse for plot holes? YOU DECIDE

Reddit suggests Danielle Sho is a SHODAN nod. Apart from the name, I don't really see it, but it's nice nonetheless.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a way to restore oxygen/atmosphere to the Shuttle Bay?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Two Owls posted:

Game gets weaker towards the end - I was pretty much just legging it from place to place as I couldn't be bothered fighting - but it's nowhere near as bad as the Bioshocks or, really, if I'm honest, System Shock 2. I wasn't quite expecting that ending, so well done. Minor side quests crapped out - Dr. Igwe seemed in multiple places around the station simultaneously for some reason. The infinitely-respawning bots I found annoying, but I should have probably used all that copious QBeam ammo they gave me from killing them.

Is the whole simulation-empathy-test bit searing critical commentary on the lousy fake moral choices games force you to make (Hello Bioshock and your "DO YOU WANT TO KILL TINY CHILD Y/N") or just a hasty excuse for plot holes? YOU DECIDE

Reddit suggests Danielle Sho is a SHODAN nod. Apart from the name, I don't really see it, but it's nice nonetheless.

since chris avellone wrote the second half of the game and likely the ending i'm pretty sure what the player character actually is is sort of a meta-commentary on how unimportant/important the player character's stakes to the plot are to the player, but this is :spergin: speculation until the writers confirm otherwise

I personally liked the moral choices that don't actually do anything for you but tell you more plot, because you shouldn't necessarily be rewarded for doing anything 'good' in my opinion.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Two Owls posted:

Well, uhh... they both have anger management issues I guess?

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a way to restore oxygen/atmosphere to the Shuttle Bay?

I don't think there is. It doesn't really matter anyway, since you have infinite oxygen. Presumably this was originally going to be a sort of hazardous area that you could fix from life support, or something, but then they removed oxygen limitations from the game. Thank god for that. Exploring outside the station would have been hellish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Gadzuko posted:

Well, uhh... they both have anger management issues I guess?
Might be reaching a bit, but don't a lot of Asian languages tend to write names surname-forename?

Not sure if I'm going to do a Typhon playthrough yet though, I've got my fingers crossed they do something to make the hacking minigame less tedious. It'll be boring as poo poo so much fun hacking all the turrets. :barf: