Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

I sincerely hope its popularity is from the fun-sized novelty old timey racisms and not the braindead plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Video games don't have enough cruise ship levels. Video games peaked with Tony Hawk 3

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Universe Master posted:

I bought the original bulletstorm, and would love to play it, but it's Windows Live automatic on even in single player, and Windows Live doesn't exist anymore. None of the workarounds seem to work for me, though admittedly I didn't try very hard and just moved on to one of the other dozens of games I bought but have't played yet.

Oh and instead of patching it out like all the other Windows Live games did, they left it in and will graciously let you pay $60 to buy and unfucked version of the game.

Thanks, Epic Games.

I just started playing bulletstorm on PC a few days ago. I downloaded games for windows live with no problem three days ago, and the game works fine single player. It should work.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

hamtaro posted:

I sincerely hope its popularity is from the fun-sized novelty old timey racisms and not the braindead plot

I liked spending all that time getting the shock power to charge the power node needed to progress and then never seeing nodes again after that area. Would've been cool seeing them in subsequent areas, doing stuff like controlling cranes and other environment hazards that could be used to kill enemies.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Terranigma is the best snes game

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls is too hard. It should have easier difficulties.

And a loving map.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

hamtaro posted:

Bioshaq Infinity is a barely playabl disaster and for some reason people keep putting it on GOAT lists

I thought Bioshock looked lame so I never played it and still to this day have no idea what it is or what it's about :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The very first thing I do when I get a new game is turn off the music so I can listen to podcasts and poo poo instead.

People who listen to video game music outside of the games are embarrassing. Go listen to real classical music you spaz.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HAT FETISH posted:

Video games don't have enough cruise ship levels. Video games peaked with Tony Hawk 3

Tony Hawk Underground 1 was the best skateboarding game ever made. all skateboarding games afterwards were a downgrade

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I thought Bioshock looked lame so I never played it and still to this day have no idea what it is or what it's about :shrug:

Bioshock original was a System Shock spiritual successor (RPG shooter in maze-like rooms with puzzles and a high-tech, isolated feel). It also came with a (at the time unique) weapon upgrade system and political commentary on liberterianism and objectivism. It hasn't aged great, but it's still a good game. You got an ending that asked questions about player agency in a way that AAA games tend not to do. The sequel was solid as well, being slightly superior in gameplay and slightly inferior in story. The games haven't aged great, but they're still good.

Infinite throws all that away, and glues half-baked ponderances about infinity onto Borderlands-quality gameplay. Instead of political commentary, you have characters throwing around extinct racial slurs. It's a very weak sequel, and for some reason it's more popular than the original.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hamtaro posted:

Bioshock original was a System Shock spiritual successor (RPG shooter in maze-like rooms with puzzles and a high-tech, isolated feel). It also came with a (at the time unique) weapon upgrade system and political commentary on liberterianism and objectivism. It hasn't aged great, but it's still a good game. You got an ending that asked questions about player agency in a way that AAA games tend not to do. The sequel was solid as well, being slightly superior in gameplay and slightly inferior in story. The games haven't aged great, but they're still good.

Infinite throws all that away, and glues half-baked ponderances about infinity onto Borderlands-quality gameplay. Instead of political commentary, you have characters throwing around extinct racial slurs. It's a very weak sequel, and for some reason it's more popular than the original.

bioshock 1 has aged just fine. jeez people are picky these days.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The last 4 Gran Turismo ganes failed to live up to the potential established by the first 2

Agreed, but I only played 1-4.

I bought a PS2 for GT4, and I ended up hating GT4. (But loving the PS2)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Infinity was alright I guess? Even if it was like stuck in a recursion of sucking itself off storywise. I liked the visuals, but playing it on the hardest difficulty was a big loving mistake because you just got railroaded into using the most efficient weapons/plasmids/hats because otherwise you just got dunked on.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The Witcher 3 is the finest AAA game ever made. Aside from the gear system it is flawless. Why does nobody agree with me.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Kurzon posted:

The Witcher 3 is the finest AAA game ever made. Aside from the gear system it is flawless. Why does nobody agree with me.

because the combat is still lovely (though much better than w2) and also you spend a ridiculous amount of time fighting swamp zombies instead of cool huge monsters and dragons or whatever

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What the gently caress. Sucking off Witcher 3's mediocre gameplay and atrocious RPG systems is like the standard reaction when people play it

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

super sweet best pal posted:

I liked spending all that time getting the shock power to charge the power node needed to progress and then never seeing nodes again after that area. Would've been cool seeing them in subsequent areas, doing stuff like controlling cranes and other environment hazards that could be used to kill enemies.

lol I remember thinking this too. "Thanks for spending half an hour teaching me this game mechanic that never gets used again anywhere ever." But I guess having actual puzzles would've gotten in the way of killing shootymans and listening to characters ramble on about quantum bullshit

Jeza posted:

Infinity was alright I guess? Even if it was like stuck in a recursion of sucking itself off storywise. I liked the visuals, but playing it on the hardest difficulty was a big loving mistake because you just got railroaded into using the most efficient weapons/plasmids/hats because otherwise you just got dunked on.

yeah, it's a mediocre shooter with excellent art direction and a nonsense idiot plot. It's just incredibly overrated for what it is

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hey I think Dark Souls is hard. Unpopular opinion here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

Agreed, but I only played 1-4.

I bought a PS2 for GT4, and I ended up hating GT4. (But loving the PS2)

Forza games on Xbox were pretty good, until they figured out DLC.

DLC is the worst, it has ruined video games. i remember when games had points you could earn to unlock features and bonus content, but thats now 100% money. i used to like unlocking stuff :(

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Maya Fey posted:

because the combat is still lovely (though much better than w2) and also you spend a ridiculous amount of time fighting swamp zombies instead of cool huge monsters and dragons or whatever

2house2fly posted:

What the gently caress. Sucking off Witcher 3's mediocre gameplay and atrocious RPG systems is like the standard reaction when people play it
Two cases in point.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i thought it was cool how in witcher 2 act 2 you build up to fighting a huge monster thing and in w3 you're basically killing rats the whole game

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
In Witcher 1, the folk myth has it that drowners are the risen bodies of evil men who drowned in the swamp, but Witcher 3 says they are a species that arrived on this planet after the Conjunction. That's interesting. In Witcher 1, I thought the myth was in fact truth. Witcher 1 was supposed to be an adaptation of Polish and Slavic folklore, and I assumed they remained true to the material. But it seems that in W3, CD Projekt decided to take a more modern approach to mythology and say these monsters are misunderstood, kinda like so many vampire novels ("vampires aren't really afraid of garlic, that is just silly superstition").

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

People shouldn't swear in video games.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

Tony Hawk Underground 1 was the best skateboarding game ever made. all skateboarding games afterwards were a downgrade
I bought THUG2 for PC when it came out and was super disappointed at how cartoony and "OMG, WACKY BAM AND CKY JACKASS!!!" it was. That series went out with a fizzle and it deserved it. THPS Project 8 had something interesting going with using the dual sticks to control the feet for flip tricks, but they screwed it up by not making it a full-time option, which could have helped them battle Skate and stay slightly relevant.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

bioshock 1 has aged just fine. jeez people are picky these days.

I didn't want to recommend it because the "HD Remaster" that new players would probably get is a trainwreck, but agreed

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

THUG1 was awesome and honestly probably the best in the series mechanically speaking but THPS3 had better levels overall. Canada, Tokyo, Cruise Ship, cmon. What did THUG1 have, that fuckin Kiss concert level?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

And loving Gene Simmons as an unlockable character, jesus. Why bother when you can have Wolverine and Darth Maul

UncleMoeLester
Oct 25, 2016

Midget Fiddler
Lipstick Apathy
While half life and half life 2 were innovative for it's time they are incredibly overrated and feel like a generic shooter that only has a few unique moments but too many recycled sections (such as the boat section, gently caress the boat section)

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I don't know what fans expect of Half-Life 3. So many great shooters have come out since then. Why does Valve have to pick up the torch again? If Half-Life 3 disappoints, Gabe Newell will become the next George Lucas. Of course he doesn't want to make Half-Life 3.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Kurzon posted:

I don't know what fans expect of Half-Life 3. So many great shooters have come out since then. Why does Valve have to pick up the torch again? If Half-Life 3 disappoints, Gabe Newell will become the next George Lucas. Of course he doesn't want to make Half-Life 3.

Half-Life 3 should be set a real-time number of years after the events of the Half-life 2 and we've won whatever war it is and now instead of being an FPS it's a meaningful and thought-provoking walking simulator. Your encounters tell a story of Gordon Freeman reflecting upon his past, present and future during a midlife crisis.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
PC gaming is cheaper than console gaming.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

hamtaro posted:

and political commentary on liberterianism and objectivism.

:yikes:

Can you say dodged a loving bullet?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

yogizh posted:

PC gaming is cheaper than console gaming.

Before the Xbox 360, this wasn't always true. :negative:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Rutibex posted:

Forza games on Xbox were pretty good, until they figured out DLC.

DLC is the worst, it has ruined video games. i remember when games had points you could earn to unlock features and bonus content, but thats now 100% money. i used to like unlocking stuff :(

DLC sucks but I never liked unlocking anything. I gave you the money, just loving give it to me! :mad: OR best of both worlds give us a CHEAT that will allow a casual gamer to experience the full design potential of the game on occasion while keeping it palatable to skill-focused players who want some feeling of progression the rest of the time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DLC sucks but I never liked unlocking anything. I gave you the money, just loving give it to me! :mad: OR best of both worlds give us a CHEAT that will allow a casual gamer to experience the full design potential of the game on occasion while keeping it palatable to skill-focused players who want some feeling of progression the rest of the time.

thts another things DLC greed killed, cheat codes :argh:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Oblivion's horse armor DLC was actually really good.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Borderlands is actually hot garbage and the whole things feels like one big fetch quest.

a bone to pick posted:

Oblivion's horse armor DLC was actually really good.
:yeah:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
And cheats should be enterable not unlocked by completing the game. And players guides were always bullshit for not including them

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Spec Ops: The Line is the most overrated game I have​ e ever played. It's a shovelware-grade cover shooter with a trite and cliched plot that nerds online gushed about.

"Oh the storyline is so unique, deep and profound, and video games are art!" - a 15 year old who has never read a book that didn't have either a superhero or a dragon on the cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

And cheats should be enterable not unlocked by completing the game. And players guides were always bullshit for not including them

player guides were made obsolete by gameFAQS long ago. i dont know why they still exist, i assume only grandmas and people pressured by a salesman buy them now a days