Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Which also results in hilariously low rates for some very expensive bikes in smaller markets, as very few has wrecked them. But makes semi expensive but common bikes like bmw f800gs really expensive to insure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
State Farm supposedly adjusts rates by cc too. So I guess you would need a fuckload of crashed svs to make up for that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Jazzzzz posted:

Who's your insurer? I'm paying like $550/year through Allstate on my Multi for 100/300/100 with 500/100 deductibles and no umbrella, and that's with homeowners/auto multi policy discounts and excellent credit and driving records.

I double checked, it's $323/yr, and actually 250/500/250. My umbrella is separate from that, it's an extension of homeowners but it applies to every policy I have. It's right at $100 a year, so I am not sure how you would add that in with the bike. I have 5 total policies with them, so maybe $20/yr is the fair cost to include. Still not bad.

My insurer is Indiana Farm Bureau. I am 36/m, married, clean driving record, 1 not at fault in the last year. Both my wife and I have credit in the mid 800s. We get discounts for having multiple policies and paperless billing.

I think the biggest hidden factor here is zip code. I live in the middle of nowhere.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Being married is also a major factor in reducing your premiums, and not one that applies to most goons :goonsay:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

Being married is also a major factor in reducing your premiums, and not one that applies to most goons :goonsay:

I've been married for years, there was no noticeable change between policies before and after the wedding and info update, my wife and I lived together for several years before getting married and she has been in my insurance policy for going on twenty years with no accidents or tickets from her end.

Like I said before, too many variables.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Wh... What if our premiums are also based on our posting? :ohdear:

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

The Bananana posted:

Wh... What if our premiums are also based on our posting? :ohdear:

May God have mercy on all of us, then.

But seriously, shop around on your motorcycle insurance. Don't just ask the person who does your current lines for their quote and then resign to the fact that insurance seems expensive. Different carriers want to insure different types of bikes, locations, and riders. I got quotes ranging from $160-$600 a year for my DRZ. Some companies want to insure a sumo in the middle of Minneapolis, other companies have absolutely no interest in it.

I have a friend who was a product designer/underwriter specializing in motorcycles for a national insurance carrier. When talking to her about premiums, she basically laid out that zip code, age, and how likely the bike is to be stolen are the major factors in pricing (for her company, at least). Don't expect major premium breaks if you're a 25 year old with no motorcycling experience located in downtown DC driving a gixxer with the words 'steal me' tastefully airbrushed on the side. Even if you've been an impeccable driver, your profile is simply too risky for most companies to want.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I think last year I paid £446 for my 125cc on my learners permit for fully comp, £300 compulsory on any claims.
BUT, that's when I was living in London, and bikes get stolen there constantly etcetc.

A street triple where I now live (and with a full licence) costs 500 a year with 200 compulsory, and a SV650 is under 300 last i checked, both full coverage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buhbuhj posted:

I still don't really understand motorcycle insurance rates. I'm paying a little under 500 a year for the same stats as Jazzzzz on my Tuono but I know someone similar age with no accidents who is getting quoted over 1000 a year for a sv650.

There are 1000x more SV's out in the wild than tuonos, and that also means there are many more wrecked SV's than tuonos.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fishvilla posted:

Don't expect major premium breaks if you're a 25 year old with no motorcycling experience located in downtown DC driving a gixxer with the words 'steal me' tastefully airbrushed on the side. Even if you've been an impeccable driver, your profile is simply too risky for most companies to want.

I just moved from DC to Denver and my insurance is literally 1/4 the price it was before.

The only thing I changed was dropping uninsured motorist insurance. I figured my bike wasn't worth enough to pay for that and I have great medical insurance already. This discussion is making me rethink it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

hot sauce posted:

I just moved from DC to Denver and my insurance is literally 1/4 the price it was before.

The only thing I changed was dropping uninsured motorist insurance. I figured my bike wasn't worth enough to pay for that and I have great medical insurance already. This discussion is making me rethink it.

Don't rely on your medical insurance 100%. Because it was an accident and your vehicle insurance is primary, your medical will initially deny all claims. If you're lucky, the second or third time the claims are submitted, they'll get paid before you're sent to collections and have to fight for your credit rating. Also this means if it's a bad wreck, you'll still be responsible for whatever your medical doesn't cover. Most plans switch to an 80/20 after you've paid up your deductible and the 100% coverage doesn't kick in after an amount that was so laughable I forgot what it was.

My wreck, where there was nothing broken, I drove myself to the hospital, and had 6 x-rays done, then I was immediately released, has been billed out to my insurance company for about 26k$. I don't quite have 5K laying about to cover that. It goes against the other driver's insurance. If anything had gone majorly wrong or I had spent a full day in the hospital, it could have easily gone over the 10K state minimums.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 21, 2017

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It sounds like I'm paying too much in insurance, here's my current bike insurance:

I also have 2 cars, renter's insurance, and an umbrella policy with the same company. They have been easy to deal with when I've had claims in the past though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

It sounds like I'm paying too much in insurance, here's my current bike insurance:

I also have 2 cars, renter's insurance, and an umbrella policy with the same company. They have been easy to deal with when I've had claims in the past though.

Don't underestimate that last part. The best insurance isn't always the cheapest insurance. You want someone who will pay out with no hassle on a claim, not try to low ball you or look for ways to deny the claim.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

As said earlier your age and location factor in, and mid-weight sport bikes are commonly stolen and/or wrecked so they're not cheap to insure.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, reading this thread has convinced me that I need to step up my insurance game. I'm not at the bare minimum but I can definitely afford to do better and maintain a little piece of mind if I get in an accident.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

belt posted:

Yeah, reading this thread has convinced me that I need to step up my insurance game. I'm not at the bare minimum but I can definitely afford to do better and maintain a little piece of mind if I get in an accident.

I think of my insurance as "how much physical therapy and treatment do I want after I'm paralyzed in a hit and run?"

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

As said earlier your age and location factor in, and mid-weight sport bikes are commonly stolen and/or wrecked so they're not cheap to insure.

I'm anticipating a insurance rate hike next year due to yammienoob's hatred of Daytonas.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm anticipating a insurance rate hike next year due to yammienoob's hatred of Daytonas.

Does he live near you?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was just joking, I'm out in Los Angeles and I'm pretty sure he's in Texas or somewhere in middle-ish America.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
He's in the DFW area so if you live there I'd prob avoid buying a new Daytona. YammieNoob singlehandedly spiking the rates.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
My roommate was driving around on my Metropolitan the other night and had someone shoot out of a driveway into where he would have been if he hadn't been watching for them. He dodged the car but dropped the scooter and apparently they just drove away while he was down in the road. Who the gently caress does that?

But drat, I am so glad I carry really good insurance on all my vehicles and that I paid the extra few bucks a month to cover him borrowing it on the regular. I was originally afraid of theft because I live in an apartment and don't have a garage, but I'm pretty sure it's totaled, making my first insurance claim for anything, ever, in 15 years of driving.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Skreemer posted:

My wreck, where there was nothing broken, I drove myself to the hospital, and had 6 x-rays done, then I was immediately released, has been billed out to my insurance company for about 26k$.

Obligatory as-an-Australian-this-blows-my-loving-mind post.

Your poo poo is so loving broken, you guys. :smith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Obligatory as-an-Australian-this-blows-my-loving-mind post.

Your poo poo is so loving broken, you guys. :smith:

Yup. Insurance pays for your vehicle. Government pays for your body. Simple.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Slavvy posted:

But at an even simpler level than that, pretty sure a hospital doesn't charge anyone (government or insurance company) $26k for some loving x-rays.

I'm concerned that with the slow rise of private health insurance here we are on the same road to ridiculous medical costs... :(

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Here4DaGangBang posted:

But at an even simpler level than that, pretty sure a hospital doesn't charge anyone (government or insurance company) $26k for some loving x-rays.

I'm concerned that with the slow rise of private health insurance here we are on the same road to ridiculous medical costs... :(

When you're a private patient they do, some of the bills that go to insurance companies when you're private are mind boggling.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The UK has a public/private system. The NHS is great, though not always if you're in a hurry. My partner needed some tests done on her ankle, so she got an MRI done at a private diagnostic imaging company. I think it cost around £500.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

The UK has a public/private system. The NHS is great, though not always if you're in a hurry. My partner needed some tests done on her ankle, so she got an MRI done at a private diagnostic imaging company. I think it cost around £500.

The NHS helps to keep private healthcare costs down because it allows insurance companies to cherry-pick what they want to treat, and also means they don't normally have to pay for their own mistakes.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Whatever the solution is in UK/Aus, we know it's better than the yanks. I took my daughter to the hospital for a deep cut on her hand after she fell down. I paid nothing and got excellent care, the doctor even spent quite a bit of time explaining what he was doing to my daughter so she had some understanding. I don't understand how people live without a universal health care system.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fanelien posted:

Whatever the solution is in UK/Aus, we know it's better than the yanks. I took my daughter to the hospital for a deep cut on her hand after she fell down. I paid nothing and got excellent care, the doctor even spent quite a bit of time explaining what he was doing to my daughter so she had some understanding. I don't understand how people live without a universal health care system.

Be rich.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The NHS helps to keep private healthcare costs down because it allows insurance companies to cherry-pick what they want to treat, and also means they don't normally have to pay for their own mistakes.

Yeah, a single national purchaser can really throw it's weight around with suppliers. I know it doesn't need explaining to people here, but if Americans need a way of explaining it to skeptical relatives, it works the same as how Walmart can bully suppliers into lowering their unit prices.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

this but ironically

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fanelien posted:

I don't understand how people live without a universal health care system.

We don't

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm not defending our broken healthcare system, but it is doable with decent insurance through your employer/govt job. Lots of people have (relatively) reasonable out of pocket maximums each year.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 22, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

E: my original reply was too political, but yes, it's very hosed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

hot sauce posted:

I'm not defending our broken healthcare system, but it is doable with decent insurance through your employer/govt job. Lots of people have (relatively) reasonable out of pocket maximums each year.
Sucks for people who are unemployed, retired or disabled though. Or have lovely jobs that don't offer good insurance as a benefit.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Sucks for people who are unemployed, retired or disabled though. Or have lovely jobs that don't offer good insurance as a benefit.

Yeah, for sure. Also it forces a lot of people to keep a job they hate because "if I quit I won't have health insurance".

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, that's been me for the last three years 😢

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
See, the anti helmet law guys are on to something. If you just crash and die you don't have to file for bankruptcy because a vlogger ran into you

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Finger Prince posted:

Let's all just agree that places that allow filtering/splitting are cool and good and everywhere else is a hell not even satan his bad self could dream up.

I'm not prepared to agree that California is cool.

But their filtering rules are alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hot sauce posted:

"Sometimes we're not completely hosed, only mildly hosed", or "Hey if you're lucky you won't go bankrupt" is the kind of attitude you take the piss out of owners of Italian/American/British/Austrian bikes for, not something you want in a healthcare system.