Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dogs are haram

I (30M) embarrassingly have a helicopter mom (56F). I need to start my life but I feel stuck at home.

u/TopSecret88

quote:

I moved back in with my mom and new step dad after graduating from University (with a worthless liberal arts degree). It was supposed to be temporary but I fell into a deep depression and haven't done much of anything in 7 years.

She won't let me leave the house without knowing where I'm going. So much so that I've almost completely stopped leaving the house. When I do leave, usually to the gym, she texts to check on me constantly​. I can be a mere mile away in a safe area and she still can't leave me alone. When I'm home, she still overtexts to check on me. Just the fact that she feels the need to check on me so often obliterates my self-esteem.

I should add that it isn't all her fault. In fact, I'm probably overprotective of her as well. My parents got divorced when I was 18 and I blamed my dad for it. I know I overstep my boundaries and act as the man of the house when I shouldn't. A part of me probably thinks I'm needed here.

I feel like now is my only chance to get my life going because I'm running out of money and my car isn't in great shape. Plus I'm in my thirties now and finding the occasional gray hair. Over the last couple years I've felt the desire to have a family of my own but it feels far out of reach right now.

TL;DR: My overprotective mom treats me like a child and I need to leave and start my life

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

Husband needs to sever immediately

Pretty much.

If you're asking the internet whether you're crazy, the right answer is "yes."*

The internet's aggregate response will be a long-winded, self-indulgent, and often crazier "no."

* Though not always for the reasons you're asking.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

How likely is it for a dog to do this to only one person if that person ins't abusing it? How can you have enough of an "intimidating presence" to terrify your own pet just walking around the house?

Roommate has two dogs, one rescue, one not. From the moment the rescue came in the house, about a month ago, it has cowered at my approach, run away from me, and barked at me like an intruder. I've been nothing but kind to it, but apparently I resemble someone who used to abuse it. The non rescue loves me like it loves everything else in life.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dead Reckoning posted:

Roommate has two dogs, one rescue, one not. From the moment the rescue came in the house, about a month ago, it has cowered at my approach, run away from me, and barked at me like an intruder. I've been nothing but kind to it, but apparently I resemble someone who used to abuse it. The non rescue loves me like it loves everything else in life.

Dogs are a lot like Paladins, and buddy I'm sorry to say he Detected Evil. We'll be around to resolve this issue shortly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dead Reckoning posted:

Same, but with a dog my folks took in. I'll probably never get a chance to visit without her cowering and jumping up to bark every time I move, since I don't have weeks/months of uninterrupted time to spend slowly getting her acclimated to me :(

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

What do I do Reddit???????

Domestic violence issue. Do I (22F) divorce my husband (28M)?

u/ms-momo114

quote:

My husband last night was ignoring me for no reason. I was very unwell last night and was trying to explain this to him as I needed some help, he ignored me the whole time, only paid attention briefly when he would make fun of me being unwell (he's of the mentality that everything is always my fault) and it got to the point where his ignoring didn't cease so I decided to poke him on his back to get his attention (as I was needing help ASAP). He immediately turned around and grabbed me by my neck and pushed my head against the wall and told me that he is going to kill me. This has never happened before. I screamed and cried, he let go, I hit him back by using my hand to slap his arm yelling "how dare you do that to me" and he responded by pushing me fiercely and I went backwards off the bed, whilst falling backwards I grabbed his shirt automatically to stop myself from falling backwards and it ended up tearing his shirt entirely. He then hit me with his fist, and to protect myself plus to seek revenge, I hit him back. He claimed that I was "acting like a man so he will treat me like one" then proceeded to lock his fists, get into a boxing position, stare at me intently and then punch me in the chest right underneath by collarbone with full strength up to 6 times. The pain was immense. I hit him back a few times to get him to stop abusing me, so he used both his fists to punch my chest in one blow. I told him that I would call the cops, he immediately looked at me with longing and told me he doesn't want to lose me and showered me in affection, and even today same story.

Today I have bruises all over my arms and chest, and constant pain. I can barely touch my chest from the pain and my chest muscles keep spasming very lightly. My neck muscle on the left is in pain due to the way my head was pushed up against the wall last night. And my arms I can barely move without pain, they feel so tense and heavy. Occasionally I feel tingling sensation in my back.

I don't understand what's with the bipolar feelings of despising my soul then showering me with love? He's never done this before, and all because I poked him sternly to get his attention as I needed help, when he's been ignoring me for no reason and making fun of me being sick. He has hit me before (splitting my chin open) over me being upset about him cheating on me, and has left bruises on my arms before over me being upset that he was putting me in debt (long story), and has poured water all over my face in public before again over me being upset over him cheating on me. It's like whenever I'm not happy with something he's done wrong, he refuses to take responsibility and would rather assault me to "punish" me for having a problem with it, to teach me to not have a problem with anything he does. But he's never hurt me in this manner before. I don't want to be weak, I want to file a police report. But, I'm too scared to leave. I have been with this man for a long time and I have built a life with him and he has so many good qualities. And I can't stand the idea of him moving on to another woman who will undoubtedly be more attractive than me (I have severe anaemia affecting my appearance and I'm his first and only person he's been intimate with so literally anyone else would be a better sexual experience than me). Plus I don't have the ability (financially, accommodation wise, transport wise, etc to live on my own). But I also believe that when a glass of pure water has a drop of poison in it, it ruins the whole drat thing. What do I do?????

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

Dogs are a lot like Paladins, and buddy I'm sorry to say he Detected Evil. We'll be around to resolve this issue shortly.

It's the goatee that gave it away, wasn't it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

What do I do Reddit???????

Domestic violence issue. Do I (22F) divorce my husband (28M)?

u/ms-momo114

women's standards are just toooo high

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I don't remember him ever saying he'd kill me before.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

Same with my in-laws dog, a nice rescue dog, loves both in-laws but is very skeptical about other men in general. e: huh quoted wrong

datajugend fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 21, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

🙄

I (late 20sF) don't know what to do here with brother-in-laws (early 30sM) girlfriends (early 30s?) autistic son (9M).

u/NorthKoreaUnicorn

quote:

A tiny backstory. The brother-in-law had A LOT happen in the last year, which is why he is living with me temporarily while he gets on his feet. I am not bothered with this at all.

However, he and his girlfriend are sleeping right now (his gf worked 3rd shift last night and idk what he did, I assume stayed up with the kid and moved his trailer with all his stuff in it), and the gf's 9 year old autistic kid is up and watching tv and has been for a few hours now. I want to leave and do things. I don't feel comfortable just leaving him and I sent the brother-in-law a message about if I could bring him along with me, but I didn't get a reply.

I have lots to do, because I work full-time and really didn't plan on being holed up in my house watching him (should mention that I am nearly 37 weeks pregnant and the nesting syndrome is strong). Again, I don't feel comfortable leaving him, I am ok with him tagging along while I run my chores, and it is driving me a bit nutty being stuck here watching angry birds.

So my question is what would you do here?

Tl;dr: I am unexpectedly holed up in my house with a 9 year old autistic kid (maybe nephew at some point in the future, not sure how that all works), but I want to do a ton of other things today. I messaged my brother-in-law about it with no response (assuming he is sleeping) What would you do here?

quote:

Wake your BIL up, tell him that you have to go, and that somebody needs to watch his gf's kid.

quote:

While I certainly can appreciate that as a reasonable response, I would like to stay away from that if possible. It is wayyy awkward and me being holed up here is just an inconvenience, really. I don't need to leave, just want to. I am kind of hoping for an idea from other people that I just haven't thought of yet.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Train posted:

Dogs are haram

I (30M) embarrassingly have a helicopter mom (56F). I need to start my life but I feel stuck at home.

u/TopSecret88

lol

this one's funny because it outright states he knows exactly what he needs to do. like he's not asking for advice or guidance or anything he's literally just venting into the void

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

This is fine, v silly

[23/F] My boyfriend [24/M] gets ridiculously angry at video games and I hate it.

u/glowinggreenlights

quote:

I know this might seem really silly.. but I really need advice about this. My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years. So basically whenever he isn't winning and he keeps losing at a game, my boyfriend gets extremely pissed and starts screaming profanity, hitting his things and throwing a fit. I hate it when he does this so much.

I was previously in an abusive relationship where behavior like this ended in me being hit or having something thrown at me, so when he acts like that I usually shut down and ignore him because I start getting this ptsd anxiety. Even though I try to ignore him, I nearly go into a panic attack when I just hear/see him doing this. I was trying to do my makeup in the bathroom the other day and do my best to ignore him and I couldn't because my hands were shaking so bad.

To make everything worse, my boyfriend hates when I ignore him and says that if I tried to comfort him when he started getting mad, it wouldn't escalate. I just find it really hard to even reason with him when he gets so upset over a game. Our only fights have been because of this. It's just really hard for me to understand getting that mad because if I'm no longer enjoying a game, I turn it off. But he gets mad and says he can't control his anger and I have no sympathy for him. When I told him about my past, he got really offended and said I should know he would never hurt me. I know he wouldn't, just seeing him act like that bothers me.

I'm in nursing school right now and my boyfriend even said he doesn't know how I will be a nurse if I have no compassion... which really bothered me because I feel like I have a lot of compassion. I just ask him to step away from the game before he gets mad and he never wants to.

I'm just really at a loss here because I really have no idea what to do. I really appreciate any responses.

tl;dr: my boyfriend rages at video games and I have a panic attack and then he blames me for not calming him down.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

My (25F) husband (29M) wants to get rid of our dog and it's making me hate him

"I see no way to keep the dog and have our marriage be healthy (we already have a lion share of marital problems)"

hmmmm maybe the problem isn't actually about the dog????

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

This is fine, v silly

[23/F] My boyfriend [24/M] gets ridiculously angry at video games and I hate it.

u/glowinggreenlights

Don't date men until they're 35 or so and the world's ground them down and they've accepted their inevitable death as an escape from their pain.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol if it takes you to 35 to get there

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Blue Train posted:

Lol if it takes you to 35 to get there

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Clark Nova posted:

How likely is it for a dog to do this to only one person if that person ins't abusing it? How can you have enough of an "intimidating presence" to terrify your own pet just walking around the house?

Some dogs, especially shelter dogs, can just be really drat scared or hostile to one gender, depending on their past. I volunteer at the no-kill shelter in austin (the one that takes in hard to place dogs from the euthanasia list at other shelters) and lots of the dogs have handling notes saying they just start flipping out in the presence of one gender or certain people.

It is possible he is abusing it, but it is a shelter dog so it may just be super accustomed to being abused by men because of its past before they even got it, and submissively urinating because of that.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
My [23F] Boyfriend [22M] has friends who are girls

quote:

I've been dating him for 6 months and everything has been going great, the only issue I have with him is that he has a lot of female friends. Like probably half of his friends are girls, and since he's started dating me he hasn't really distanced himself from them at all. I've seen texts between him & these girls and the girls use excessive emojis and seem flirtatious toward him. I don't want to be that girlfriend who doesn't let her boyfriend have friends who are girls but it makes me really upset when he hangs out with them over me. Like sometimes I'll ask if he wants to do something and he'll say he already has plans with one of them, like he is picking another girl over his girlfriend. I'll still let him have female friends but how can I sorta suggest to him so he comes to his own conclusion that he doesn't want to hang out with them anymore? I don't hang out with other guys so I think it'd be fair that he stops hanging out with other girls but I want him to make the choice for himself

tl;dr: My boyfriend has friends who are girls and I'm not totally comfortable with it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'll still let him have female friends but how can I sorta suggest to him so he comes to his own conclusion that he doesn't want to hang out with them anymore?

Run away now my man

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

I'll still let him have female friends but how can I sorta suggest to him so he comes to his own conclusion that he doesn't want to hang out with them anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxabLA7UQ9k&t=70s

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I like how half his friends are girls, like he's got a balanced roster of friends and chicky can't handle it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Some dogs, especially shelter dogs, can just be really drat scared or hostile to one gender, depending on their past. I volunteer at the no-kill shelter in austin (the one that takes in hard to place dogs from the euthanasia list at other shelters) and lots of the dogs have handling notes saying they just start flipping out in the presence of one gender or certain people.

It is possible he is abusing it, but it is a shelter dog so it may just be super accustomed to being abused by men because of its past before they even got it, and submissively urinating because of that.

Yeah, I realized after I posted that it is probably a skittish rescue dog who hates men (or people with hats or whatever) but she does such a fine job :redflag:-ing her husband as a mean, scary motherfucker that I just assumed he was abusing it. I'd probably want to re-home a dog if it hated me.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Also often puppies aren't socialized well across a wide range of human groups, so when they grow up and are dogs, they flip out because they are anxious. They are reactive to being around a person who is different in some way, not because something bad happened to them.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It's not hard to get a dog to like you, even if it hates men/blondes/whatever

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

My (25F) husband (29M) wants to get rid of our dog and it's making me hate him

This guy sounds like a piece of poo poo for unilaterally making that decision, also if a dog doesn't like you your bad

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol at all of you taking an obviously crazy woman's side. Even reddit could tell she was wrong. She's loving that dog

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blue Train posted:

Lol at all of you taking an obviously crazy woman's side. Even reddit could tell she was wrong. She's loving that dog
She even admitted that she was in the wrong, the dog would be better off in a home where everyone liked it, her husband wasn't abusing the dog, and that they needed to communicate more! What a world.

Me [28F] with my husband [30M] and FWB [25M]. His mother found out & threatens to tell people.

quote:

Now before you assume I'm cheating, I'm not. Please read. Thanks.

My husband was the type that believed in no sexy before marriage. When we started dating everything was perfect except this, and I accepted it since I really liked him and soon we fell in love. After marriage, he slowly realized that he's really not that interested in sex whatsoever and some therapy helped us realize that he's asexual. This was a major disappointment for me since I was looking forward to having sex with him for a very long time.

I couldn't leave him for this since I was (and still am) in love with him, so we worked out a solution that I'll have a FWB for my sexual needs, and we set proper boundaries. We did this two years ago and so far our life together has been very good. This has always been something between us so nobody else knew.

Well. Out of some freak accident (and me not being as careful as I should have been), MIL figured out what's going on. I said something that raised suspicions and she dug deep for weeks until she found out. Now she's threatening me to tell everyone what's going on.

My husband has talked to her, telling her that it's a mutual decision and none of her business but she's bit having it. She's demanding that 1) I confess to my sins in the church, and 2) stop doing it, and 3) Future kids will only be accepted in the family if we provide paternity tests.

Otherwise, she will tell everyone. That will be a disaster since we live in a very religious and conservative community, I work for a church and it almost certainly means I'll lose my job and we will lose most of our friends as well. I don't want it to happen. We really have no idea how to avoid this situation.

tl;dr: My husband is asexual and I have a FWB. MIL found out and is threatening to tell people unless we give into her demands.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Nah that guy is a piece of poo poo.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Well yeah, but the doggo is better chilling with people who aren't

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Me [28F] with my husband [30M] and FWB [25M]. His mother found out & threatens to tell people.
You guys throw murder around foolishly, but this is truly a story worthy of murder if she goes through with it.

The husband should be really drat blunt that she will be completely removed from his life if she says poo poo to anyone and destroys his & his wife's life. That's what she's threatening to do. In case she or anyone else wasn't clear, because framing it as a religious or moral thing is real dumb.

ravenkult posted:

Guy seems fine. Woman seems completely insane and also like one of those people who shouldn't own pets because their brains don't work and they rationalize everything they do away as human emotions and treat the pet like it will one day grow into a functional adult human.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 21, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Nah the guy's just a piece of poo poo. If my SO unilaterally put my pet up for adoption they'd be hitting the curb.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

Nah the guy's just a piece of poo poo. If my SO unilaterally put my pet up for adoption they'd be hitting the curb.
It sounds like they talked about it a lot, it is both of their pet because they joint adopted it, and the pet is both a giant drat nuisance and really doesn't like the guy despite him not actually doing anything to it.

I'd get rid of the woman and let her take the dog with her personally, but that's just me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Khorne posted:

It sounds like they talked about it a lot, it is both of their pet because they joint adopted it, and the pet is both a giant drat nuisance and really doesn't like the guy despite him not actually doing anything to it.

I'd get rid of the woman and let her take the dog with her personally, but that's just me.

She says in the post that he put the dog up unilaterally while she was at work one day homie

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe people who like dogs and people who are filled with self-loathing and hatred for all living things shouldn't date

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

She says in the post that he put the dog up unilaterally while she was at work one day homie

After three times of saying he was going to, and taking the dog in on a trial basis with the option to return it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

DOGS ARE HARAM

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Blue Train posted:

After three times of saying he was going to, and taking the dog in on a trial basis with the option to return it
With established boundaries about discussing this problematic foster dog while she's at work. That imply they've talked way more about it.

Psycho Society posted:

Maybe people who like dogs and people who are filled with self-loathing and hatred for all living things shouldn't date
I like dogs. I'm a big softie with animals, but you need to have boundaries. There's no reason to take on the time, financial, and emotional burden of a foster dog that seems like it's really not working out. The woman doesn't seem equipped to meet its needs, and the husband doesn't want to deal with the problems the dog is presenting.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 21, 2017

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
When we took in Mia, she was a submissive urinator. We handled it by not making a big deal out of it and staying calm. She was very fearful, so we took her to some festivals with a lot of people to help her understand that her murder was not imminent. With patience, training, and some work on everyone's part she went from being terrified of everything to being my Service Dog.

This woman sounds like she's reinforcing the dog's fear of her husband. Not overtly, but in a way the dog is picking up on. So the dog is now afraid of the man, not because he's done anything but because she's signaling to it that it needs to be afraid. End result is a dog that is scared, doesn't know why, and needs to be rehomed where it can feel love and comfort from everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
This is also why couples should never adopt dogs. One person or other needs to take responsibility for raising an animal