Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Big Short by way of Bernie

Oh yeah! Those were the real people in Bernie right? Not like BULLSHIT When Harry Met Sally or whatever. Not that When Harry Met Sally purported to be a true story or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

Andre Braugher voiced Darkseid in one of the earlier DC animated movies. I'd be down for him to be the live action one.

That would be great. Braugher's perfect at looking like everything is beneath him.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

porfiria posted:

Oh yeah! Those were the real people in Bernie right? Not like BULLSHIT When Harry Met Sally or whatever. Not that When Harry Met Sally purported to be a true story or anything.

Ya it mixes the two, very neat

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I am surprised Aliens only made $36m , I thought it was a more popular franchise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Considering most people think the first 2 are good and the rest is total garbage (not my opinion), that's not too bad for an R Rated franchise that most people dislike.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Considering most people think the first 2 are good and the rest is total garbage (not my opinion), that's not too bad for an R Rated franchise that most people dislike.

If it's 36mil in the black by hollywood standards that should be pretty good. I guess. Haven't seen it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess people are seeing Alien: Covenant as a sequel to Prometheus rather than a continuation of the original Aliens movies and they weren't so keen on seeing another Prometheus.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess people are seeing Alien: Covenant as a sequel to Prometheus rather than a continuation of the original Aliens movies and they weren't so keen on seeing another Prometheus.

Yeah it might be this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Femur posted:

I am surprised Aliens only made $36m , I thought it was a more popular franchise.

$15 million less than Prometheus' opening weekend. Fox can't be happy about that.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Inflation adjusted its the third best opening in the series.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

CelticPredator posted:

Alien 3 is pretty divisive but I think there was a re-release a few years back that a lot of people liked.

Alien 4 is really loving dumb.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Speaking of "horror" franchises: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/resident-evil-reboot-cannes-film-festival-1202439086/

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Big surprise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I went and saw Alien: Covenant last night and didn't hate it. It tries really really hard to build a bridge between the wanky bullshit from Prometheus and the early Aliens films so there's a lot to like in there but people who loved Prometheus will probably hate it for dumping all the stuff from the first film so ruthlessly and fans of the original films might not find much to like either. The start is really loving slow, a guy I know walked out halfway through and has a hateboner for it now.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Fourth best, Alien 3's adjusted opening weekend take is over $40 million (unless my math is off)

Alien and Aliens did 'comparatively' better since their budgets were way smaller (even after adjusting for inflation) but we're really starting to split hairs there.
Plus it's not like Alien: Covenant has a huge budget by modern standards, $97 million is practically chump change for a sci-fi heavy genre franchise film these days. They gave it a bigger budget than Pixels but smaller than Ghost In The Shell and the Robocop remake, and nearly half as much as Edge of Tomorrow and Independence Day: Resurgence.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 21, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

This is such a bad way to quantify modern films. A lot of stuff besides inflation has changed since those movies came out. The entire industry and the concept of film releases is vastly different.

Not that any of it really matters because who cares about how much a movie makes but still.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do because I want to see more Alien films.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They will always make more. Scott might not get to and they might reboot it or do sequels to different parts but Fox isn't going to stop making Alien movies. They're trying to pimp stupid loving Alien day like the poo poo is Star Wars now. Alien isn't going anywhere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I do because I want to see more Alien films.

I doubt Fox will ever close the door on the franchise entirely. They're kinda dedicated to continuing to do something with it one way or another.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

got dragged into seeing king arthur; i agree w/people earlier saying it was pretty fun when it was doing its own thing but man the last third of the film feels real abrupt and not in a good way, it just bounces from scene to scene in a vaguely connected way

one of those movies where it's pretty easy to imagine they expected a longer runtime than what they got

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FishBulb posted:

They will always make more. Scott might not get to and they might reboot it or do sequels to different parts but Fox isn't going to stop making Alien movies. They're trying to pimp stupid loving Alien day like the poo poo is Star Wars now. Alien isn't going anywhere.

Yeah Covenant is pretty much a bridging movie that connects it to the other films and opens the way for more sequels. It also falls prey to 'middle child syndrome' pretty hard. "Okay, we established a whole bunch of stuff in the earlier films but uhhhh how about the characters just argue about poo poo and change their minds about stuff in this one. Don't worry, there'll be some pretty tableaux in this film and some fights and explosions and there's cool stuff coming next time!! Next time is really gonna be awesome after we get past all the poo poo that we threw at the wall which didn't quite stick!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hate myself because covenant is not a good movie (there's parts of a great movie in there) but i still wanna see what comes next.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah Covenant is pretty much a bridging movie that connects it to the other films and opens the way for more sequels.

I have trouble believing that the people who made Prometheus as their alien prequel are all that concerned with making a bridging movie if they want to move onto something different. Alien Covenant still contains a camp robot with fingers in everyone's pies, elaborate tableaus of the dead, pontifications about the relationship between creator and created, etc. People are fooling themselves into thinking Prometheus has been rejected, somehow, just because a specific group of Engineers died and some of the aliens are black again. If all they cared about was making whatever this sets up, they would have just done so. They clearly don't give a poo poo about continuity. To their credit.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 21, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

People are fooling themselves into thinking Prometheus has been rejected, somehow, just because a specific group of Engineers died and some of the aliens are black again. If all they cared about was making whatever this sets up, they would have just done so. They clearly don't give a poo poo about continuity.

Every non-flora lifeform on the Engineers' homeworld has been wiped out. The only other surviving character from Prometheus was killed offscreen between movies. The black goo has been contained to a planet that will kill anyone who visits and can only be discovered by accident anyway due to the ion storms. David only took classic Xenomorph foetuses offworld. They never explained why the Engineers were trying to wipe out humanity and now there's probably no way to find out.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Every non-flora lifeform on the Engineers' homeworld has been wiped out. The only other surviving character from Prometheus was killed offscreen between movies. The black goo has been contained to a planet that will kill anyone who visits and can only be discovered by accident anyway due to the ion storms. David only took classic Xenomorph foetuses offworld. They never explained why the Engineers were trying to wipe out humanity and now there's probably no way to find out.

Right, that's all plot poo poo. That's not what Prometheus was about. And if they had just wanted to make a movie where all the plot poo poo was done away with, they would have just done that, instead of having to create a bridge to it, as shown by how tenuously related Prometheus was to Alien.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I hope you guys are ready for more Resident Evil

Variety posted:

The “Resident Evil” movie franchise has not ended after all.

Details such as the reboot director, stars, and how the reboot would fit into the franchise narrative are being kept under wraps. But Martin Moszkowicz, chairman of the board at Constantin Film, did confirm to Variety at the Cannes Film Festival that a reboot is in development at the giant German production company, which owns rights to the franchise and has produced all of its installments.

http://variety.com/2017/film/global/resident-evil-reboot-cannes-film-festival-1202439086/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If the games are any indication, they might make it more horror than action, but still have the protagonist punch the monsters through a wall or two. They better find another actress who can carry these movies like Mila Jovovich did.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

If the games are any indication, they might make it more horror than action, but still have the protagonist punch the monsters through a wall or two. They better find another actress who can carry these movies like Mila Jovovich did.

It should be Julia Noth.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The MSJ posted:

Chloë Grace Moretz

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Chloë Grace Moretz

All due respect to Ms. Jovavich, I'd rather Chloë Grace Moretz be in good movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Would be nice is Chloe Moretz is back to doing action movies again, though. Hit-Girl was John Wick before John Wick.

In other news, the best performance at Cannes is..... Adam Sandler?
https://twitter.com/robbiereviews/status/866260450744422400

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The MSJ posted:

Would be nice is Chloe Moretz is back to doing action movies again, though. Hit-Girl was John Wick before John Wick.

In other news, the best performance at Cannes is..... Adam Sandler?
https://twitter.com/robbiereviews/status/866260450744422400

Did....did he pull out another Punch Drunk Love performance?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Did the Resident evil movies ever do resident evil 4? I'd love to see a adaptation of that, complete with Midget Napoleon, dumb one-liners about Bingo, the totally unexplained Merchant and all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The resident Evil movies never adapted the games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Spalec posted:

Did the Resident evil movies ever do resident evil 4? I'd love to see a adaptation of that, complete with Midget Napoleon, dumb one-liners about Bingo, the totally unexplained Merchant and all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Spalec posted:

They're gonna want to tap into the Chinese market ; RE: Dead Aim is the only option if they're going to faithfully adapt. Just needs to add a bonus scene at the end which absolves the PRC of any blame for events during the film.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Skwirl posted:

All due respect to Ms. Jovavich, I'd rather Chloë Grace Moretz be in good movies.

The Resident Evil movies are good though?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Sounds like there might be a Johnny English 3 in the works. It might not be greatest movie franchise in the world, but I'm a sucker for the charms of the first two.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It is in fact a bad movie franchise. The second one was insufferable

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You'll have to elaborate on that because I remember the second film being much better than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I didn't watch the first one

• Locked thread