Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

This seems like the right place to ask about self monitored home security systems. I noted that the OP is 2 years old, and I admit I did not read 26 pages of posts.

What I am looking for is a system that allows me to monitor a front door, sliding glass door, and garage door from my iPhone. I would also like to have a keypad entry to the front door. For what its worth, I think I will also buy a Nest thermostat, so I don't know if that plays into the security system or what.

Any recommendations? I'm handy at DIY but I know nothing about security systems.

I have SmartThings, which can monitor doors/windows. I use it for automation, but there are notification apps to go with it. I'm sure a lot of other home automation systems can do the same.

It's not exactly what you asked for, but if you want a monitored solution you can install yourself, my coworker raves about Simplisafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

^ agreed with all of the above. I've had Simplisafe and it was pretty awesome for a true monitored security system. Now I have a fairly large Smartthings setup and feel safe enough with the "security" features of that system plus home automation is awesome.

Keypad entry to the front door, as in unlocking the deadbolt, will likely be stand-alone. Either system will monitor entry into the door though. Nest integrates with Smartthings for presence and control if you wanted but that's about it needs or can do.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks guys. I ordered an Abode starter kit. It looks like it works with Z-Wave door locks, Nest, and other stuff I know nothing about. Its backordered so once I get it installed hopefully I will remember and can share my thoughts.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Is there a Google Home thread somewhere that I'm not finding?

Anyone using the Google Home with a Chromecast Audio?

I know that to play music to the Chromecast, I'd say "OK, Google, play Bruno Mars using Spotify on Bedroom"

Question is, can you control the Chromecast Audio volume using voice commands? Can't seem to find an answer to that question anywhere.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Scrapez posted:

Is there a Google Home thread somewhere that I'm not finding?

Anyone using the Google Home with a Chromecast Audio?

I know that to play music to the Chromecast, I'd say "OK, Google, play Bruno Mars using Spotify on Bedroom"

Question is, can you control the Chromecast Audio volume using voice commands? Can't seem to find an answer to that question anywhere.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7072489?hl=en
code:
To do this:		Say "Ok Google or Hey Google, then:	What Google Home says or does:
Increase volume		"Turn it up"			Increases volume by a 10% increment
Decrease volume		"Turn it down"			Decreases volume by a 10% decrement
Unless I'm missing what your asking, Ive been able to turn my home up/down no problem.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I want it to adjust the volume of a Chromecast Audio. Not the volume of the built in speaker.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I don't have a Chromecast Audio but on my regular Chromecast I can raise and lower the volume with voice commands just fine. I imagine it would work the same way with an Audio.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

How do you address the Chromecast vocally?

I ask because I'm planning to potentially have 4 Chromecast audios running simultaneously.

I'd like to be able to say "Ok, Google, turn volume to 35 in garage"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I honestly don't think it's possible but I don't have a Chromecast Audio to test. I'm pretty sure the voice commands for volume only work on the built in speaker.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like Google Home is finally coming to Canada. Staples.ca put up a product page, but says out of stock.

Of course you can buy from bhphotovideo.com for relatively cheap still ($20 for customs) like I did.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I know you can control the level of an audio group by saying "Set volume of <group> to X", I suspect it would work for individual speakers but I'm not home to try. I know for sure you can control the audio level of individual Chromecast Audios by using the Home app on your phone.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

The thing that kills me about Home + Chromecast is that if I start playing one thing on a group including a Home, and then on my phone or laptop I change albums or something the Home drops out while the Chromecasts continue playing whatever my Spotify account is pumping out.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I am beginning to plan out some purchases for a starter security/smart setup. My house currently has a roughly 25 year old wired security system that I do not pay a monitoring fee for. Yesterday morning the fire alarm went off and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off so I ended up pulling the power from the control box.

So I guess my first question is, is there some generic control box I need to buy to replace the one currently installed since power gets fed there and then out to the current fire/co sensors?

After that is figured out I plan on buying 3 wired Nest Protects to begin with since that seems most important for the moment.

I also would like to buy a smart thermostat. I see the ecoobee talked about a lot, is that generally preferred over the nest?

The current security system has a bunch of motion sensors I would like to replace or incorporate if possible, but I will work on that a bit later.

Any advise is appreciated.

Edit: I am not set on Nest Protects. Of there are recommended alternatives I will look at them.

hitachi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 14, 2017

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

azurite posted:

I have a Yale Z-Wave lock and I love it. It unlocks via code or via Z-Wave, no key. If it runs out of juice, you can use a 9V battery as a backup. You'd have to neglect warnings for that to happen, though. A set of batteries lasts for months.

The new ones are good, the old ones are poo poo. Also make sure that the z-wave lock is the last thing you add into your chain. I've noticed that if its the first, its routing a lot of traffic and will eat through batteries.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan
Looking for recommendations for (at least) indoor home-based video monitoring system for my co-worker. I may be involved to some extent (free assistance, probably network/router stuff) and I'm not sufficiently motivated to roll my own system1.

She has a special needs child who will have a provider / caretaker this summer while she's at work and would like to look in on them as well as have some record of what happened in case there's an incident.

Wants:
  • 2+ cameras, possibly hidden/obscured
  • Live streaming (monitor on phone/work computer)
  • 1-2 weeks recorded video
  • Audio capture and streaming too

She didn't give me an explicit budget but I think $500-ish seems in range. Her family and myself will help w/ installation and configuration. I'm comfortable with the networking/software configuration and would like something that works well and reliably so I don't have to continually assist with it. Her upstream is 5 Mbps.

I looked at two DVR + camera kits from Sam's but after checking the Amazon reviews (via Fakespot2) for the kits (at least similar matches) I'm concerned about quality and reliability:

Thanks for reading.

1 I only read a few pages but I saw a few recommendations for hikvision cameras, PoE setup and Blue Iris software running on a PC
2 http://fakespot.com/product/ezviz-s...exa-using-ifttt

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
First things first. In the US with any audio recording, check with a lawyer. Audio recordings fall under a different set of laws with stricter privacy standards. Violating them generally falls in the felony territory. The requirements may be as simple as informing the caretaker in advance that they will be recorded on audio, or having them sign a wavier. It may fall in the area of don't loving do it. But this very much check with a drat lawyer territory.

For the first kit, that system Samsung's AHD stuff. If they decide to expand it in the future, then their options are going to be limited to Samsung's AHD stuff which is a bit of a redheaded step child. The older DVRs in that family tended to have crashing issues when the cameras switched from day to night. Admittedly that was two years ago, they might have fixed it by now. I'd probably give it a pass.

The second kit is EZViz which is Hikvision's direct to consumer brand. There are two issues here is that you're gonna have to pay attention to this system. Hikvision has had a bunch of security issues in the last few months including some particularly stupid backdoors. So there is a moderate chance that the NVR can end up as part of a botnet. The second is that the EZViz cameras tend to be rather poor compared to the more mainstream Hikvision cameras. In particular since the mainline Hik stuff isn't expensive. The tricky part with that is not buying versions with Chinese firmware.

https://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-DS...keywords=camera

Elves Supply is a company that works with various distributors to put poo poo on e-commerce sites. And I would ignore the limit one. I'd just get two of those and set up a PC with Blue Iris.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

spiralbrain posted:

The new ones are good, the old ones are poo poo. Also make sure that the z-wave lock is the last thing you add into your chain. I've noticed that if its the first, its routing a lot of traffic and will eat through batteries.

Thanks for the tip. Mine is first in the chain, but the same set of batteries have been in there since late last year.

I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HS1O77G/ref=psdcmw_511306_t2_B005NLKRAO?th=1&psc=1

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

azurite posted:

Thanks for the tip. Mine is first in the chain, but the same set of batteries have been in there since late last year.

I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HS1O77G/ref=psdcmw_511306_t2_B005NLKRAO?th=1&psc=1

Depends on how many devices you have in the chain. I have some production ones here at my job that are the newest like this touchpad one:

And it does pretty well. The older Schlage and Kwikset really eat through batteries though if its first in chain.

Just something good to keep in mind.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Thinking of setting up zwave switches + zwave dimmable lightbulbs, but I was wondering:

Does ST time its signals so that you can turn on the switch, but have the bulbs immediately set to X% brightness when they come on? Or is it like Hue where they come on at maximum brightness.

My goal is to set up a motion sensor that dimly turns on the bathroom lights when someone enters the bathroom in the middle of the night so they can peepee without being blinded.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

smoobles posted:

Thinking of setting up zwave switches + zwave dimmable lightbulbs, but I was wondering:

Does ST time its signals so that you can turn on the switch, but have the bulbs immediately set to X% brightness when they come on? Or is it like Hue where they come on at maximum brightness.

My goal is to set up a motion sensor that dimly turns on the bathroom lights when someone enters the bathroom in the middle of the night so they can peepee without being blinded.

Wink will do that, I assume ST does as well. But why would you not just use a smart dimmer instead of a smart switch and smart bulbs?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

spiralbrain posted:

Depends on how many devices you have in the chain. I have some production ones here at my job that are the newest like this touchpad one:

And it does pretty well. The older Schlage and Kwikset really eat through batteries though if its first in chain.

Yeah, that might be. I don't have too many Z-wave devices. I think the majority are Zigbee.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I've been running smartthings with hue bulbs at my place for a while. Hue bulbs always start at whatever brightness level they were last used and then are adjusted to the set dimmer percentage after they are on. It might be a function of how I set things up, but I don't recall there being an order to the operations that's adjustable.

Edit: of note, I have the bulbs connected to the hue hub and then paired through smartthings via an account link. Not sure if that makes a fundamental difference of how the order of operations is executed, but felt it worth mentioning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Three Olives posted:

Wink will do that, I assume ST does as well. But why would you not just use a smart dimmer instead of a smart switch and smart bulbs?

My smart dimmers fade up to their brightness target when turned on, and similarly down when turned off. I can probably set the fade interval to 0 with Z-wave programming, but it sounds like you have something else in mind?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

My smart dimmers fade up to their brightness target when turned on, and similarly down when turned off. I can probably set the fade interval to 0 with Z-wave programming, but it sounds like you have something else in mind?

I misunderstood the question, re-reading I got that you want them not to fade.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for LED bulbs (65-100w equivalent, 2700ish color) that work well with the Lutron Caseta in-wall dimmer (PD-6WCL)? I've tried several different bulbs in my living room table lamps and each one buzzes no matter the brightness. I've been using the Lutron bulb guide (http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3682066_CFL_LED_Bulb_list.pdf pages 50-57) but I'm having a hard time finding any non-flood bulbs that have positive reviews.

Even the ones they suggest, like http://a.co/2Z8uAEY has user reviews complaining about a buzzing sound.

Violator fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 21, 2017

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Violator posted:

Any suggestions for LED bulbs (65-100w equivalent, 2700ish color) that work well with the Lutron Caseta in-wall dimmer (PD-6WCL)? I've tried several different bulbs in my living room table lamps and each one buzzes no matter the brightness. I've been using the Lutron bulb guide (http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3682066_CFL_LED_Bulb_list.pdf pages 50-57) but I'm having a hard time finding any non-flood bulbs that have positive reviews.

Even the ones they suggest, like http://a.co/2Z8uAEY has user reviews complaining about a buzzing sound.

I'd recommend using the online bulb compatibility tool, it's updated more frequently than the print reference.

http://www.lutron.com/dimcflled

If the bulb makes the recommended list, I would feel comfortable using it. There's quite a bit of testing the bulbs go through to be placed on it. The gotchas can be if the manufacturer has made a rolling change that isn't reflected by the part number, or if the bulbs themselves have inconsistent quality.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Violator posted:

I've been using a 4 pack of these with Caseta dimmers no problem: http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-A19-Energy-Star-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-A810SS-Q1D-01/206047134

I had the same problem, couldn't find anything on their list.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jerk McJerkface posted:

ugh.

so i have a weird issue that maybe is related.

I have this ceiling fan:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Daylesford-52-in-LED-Indoor-Oiled-Rubbed-Bronze-Ceiling-Fan-SW1478ORB/205547382

The LED light is a little dim, I don't mind that, but the weird thing is that at night, if sort of makes the room like everyone is leaving trails behind. Having even a small light on mitigates the effect. But in general LED ceiling fans are pretty terrible and I'd have preferred to get a non-built in LED fan now that I know how they look, but it's too late to return it.

I've taken to leaving the ceiling fan off and just using the lamp, which that bulb, but it's really bright. It was in a much larger room at my other house so it wasn't so bad but in my smaller living room it's brutal. I figure I'll replace it with a smart bulb, since it's a floor lamp, and I don't think the bulb is dimmable.

This is quite an old post but the reason the light looks like that is because the LED is using PWM to control brightness. It's turning on and off rapidly, but it's doing it slowly enough that it's visible to your eyes. Very annoying and I hate a lot of LED lighting for doing this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

AlexF posted:

So ESC 2017 is coming up and I would like to spice up the party by having the Hue lights change to the flag colours of the country that's currently on stage. There's a github link but I have no idea how that stuff works. Does anyone know of an app or something else to make this happen?

If I understand what you're asking correctly, this is easy if you can get your hands on the original Hue app (I think you can still download it from itunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/philips-hue-gen-1/id557206189?mt=8).

Just add the image of the flags into scenes and you should be ready to go.

You can probably still do it with the new app but it was kind of a pain in the rear end last time I tried so I just keep using the old one.

Violator
May 15, 2003

TacoHavoc posted:

I'd recommend using the online bulb compatibility tool, it's updated more frequently than the print reference.

The Electronaut posted:

I've been using a 4 pack of these with Caseta dimmers no problem

Thanks for the tips, guys. I got some cheap halogens to get the lamps working in the short term. I think I'll pick up a pack of those EcoSmart bulbs and see if they work for me too, and use that online tool to find the other bulbs I need for the recessed outlets I have.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I've got three Cree Connected 60W equivalent bulbs in a ceiling fan light that's on its own single-pole non-dimming switch, all linked up to a Wink Hub 2. Two of the three lights shut off just fine via the Wink app or Alexa, but one bulb just won't shut off fully. It seems to turn off but then immediately come on at a very low setting. This isn't on a dimmer, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm gonna try to reset that bulb and reconnect it, but I'm open to other ideas

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Three Olives posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot smart dimmers exist for a sec. I'm dumb.

SmartThings question: Routines make sense, but is there a quick way to set one-off "alarm" actions for devices? I.E. my bedroom lights routine is at 8am, but I may want them to come on at 5am if I'm getting up early for a flight.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

For stuff like that I use my phone with Tasker and SharpTools. It could also be done easily with a custom SmartApp and a virtual switch though. If virtual switch "Wakeup Alarm" is turned on then turn on bedroom lights @ 5am. The built-in Smart Lighting doesn't have enough conditions to do it out of the box. To make custom rules, I still use Rule Machine because I got used to it and it does everything I have ever needed so far, but it is no longer being updated. CoRE is the new hotness in this area but I've never checked it out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Pitre posted:

For stuff like that I use my phone with Tasker and SharpTools. It could also be done easily with a custom SmartApp and a virtual switch though. If virtual switch "Wakeup Alarm" is turned on then turn on bedroom lights @ 5am. The built-in Smart Lighting doesn't have enough conditions to do it out of the box. To make custom rules, I still use Rule Machine because I got used to it and it does everything I have ever needed so far, but it is no longer being updated. CoRE is the new hotness in this area but I've never checked it out.

Actually CoRE is mostly dead. The newest hotness is webCoRE, which is CoRE but with a way better front end. No more using the SmartThings app to make pistons. It's seriously slick as hell and way more powerful than Rule Machine ever was.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Good to know, I'll check it out!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

spiralbrain posted:

So can you use a phone to unlock this within range or do you need an apple TV to work as the internet connected device? I think I have an apple TV 3 and I have stacks of ipads but they are always dead.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

So can you use a phone to unlock this within range or do you need an apple TV to work as the internet connected device? I think I have an apple TV 3 and I have stacks of ipads but they are always dead.

Its a zWave lock so any zWave appliance or security panel that supports the zWave protocol should work with it. Schlage makes bluetooth door locks but honestly I find those to be more trouble than they are worth.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have had my Schlage zwave unit (just like the one above) in for two months now. It's the first in the chain (first device I added and closest to my controller), currently battery shows 98 percent.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Moey posted:

I have had my Schlage zwave unit (just like the one above) in for two months now. It's the first in the chain (first device I added and closest to my controller), currently battery shows 98 percent.

That model is actually pretty decent. Go with Schlage before Kwikset even for regular locks imo.

BTW guys you should be seeing more ZigWave (Zigbee + ZWave) devices here on the horizon if you're into that sort of thing (apparently zigbee is still alive and well!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Any recommendations for a good out door security camera setup especially one that is somewhat clear at night. I read infrared cameras are the way to go. I'm a complete noob so be nice. :)