Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

And this is super depressing. We need Unmature to make a video essay on the animation ghetto and why live-action remakes are consistently terrible yet make billions simply living off the name of an animated movie that never got nearly as much money or respect from the public simply because it's animated.

Dude, I work with kids and the amount of parents that say something like "I'm glad they make these because they won't watch the old cartoons" is upsetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The old ones require an attention span rabble rabble *yells at Microsoft Cloud*

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Newest generation is worthless, nuke planet

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Unmature posted:

Dude, I work with kids and the amount of parents that say something like "I'm glad they make these because they won't watch the old cartoons" is upsetting.

Complete bullshit projection anyway, the parents just don't want to watch them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

:psyduck:

As a kid who grew up on a healthy stream of cartoons older than my own parents, this makes no loving sense.

... then again I watched all of those cartoons cause they were on TV, and TV is dead now, so maybe that's why?

Pick posted:

The old ones require an attention span rabble rabble *yells at Microsoft Cloud*

BatB is significantly shorter as an animated movie, so attention span definitely isn't the problem.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I'm looking forward to the live action Fantasia remake, starring Robert Downey Jr. as a dancing mushroom, Gary Oldman as the devil, and John Boyega plays the stegosaurus that gets eaten. And it makes a gazillion dollars.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

starkebn posted:

Complete bullshit projection anyway, the parents just don't want to watch them.

this. As a kid I watched the Golden Age Disney stuff over and over, didn't care how old looney toons was, didn't care I didn't get 80% of the references in Hollywood Steps out just they were funny-looking people with some amazing sight gags.

On another note, it's sobering both how well Rocko's Modern Life holds up and how relate-able Rocko's pitfalls of navigating everyday life is, exaggerated as they were.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rocko is depressingly relatable except that episode where his car breaks down and he refuses to take the bus to work. What's wrong with the bus :mad:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SatansBestBuddy posted:

BatB is significantly shorter as an animated movie, so attention span definitely isn't the problem.

Within the film. Dumbo's runtime is shorter than Madagascar 3, but requires a better attention span.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was also supposed to get a TV series but when the second film was announced they morphed it into Chip And Dale Rescue Rangers instead, bringing in the chipmunk characters and giving them clothing. Chip's clothes were clearly modelled on Indiana Jones and Dale got a Hawaiin shirt as a nod to Magnum PI.

According to the interview with the creator in that one episode of Laser Time, it also started as a parody of Miami Vice called Miami Mice but Michael Eisner didn't want them to do a show that was a straight-up parody of an existing IP. Same with Darkwing Duck starting as Double-O Duck.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... then again I watched all of those cartoons cause they were on TV, and TV is dead now, so maybe that's why?

The most often viewed Disney movies in my house were the ones we recorded on VHS, complete with commercials. We also never got around to converting our whole collection to DVD, and a bunch of movies got lost in the transition. The 'Disney Vault' nonsense didn't help.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Until I was like, 7, I didn't get the concept of Disney cartoons being rereleased and just thought "Oh, hey! New Disney movie!" I remember being baffled that The Aristocats appeared in a hand-me-down book from my sister because we just bought it on VHS this year.
I also thought Motown was contemporary when I was 4 (1992) because we listened to it on the radio every morning, so maybe I was a little :downs:.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Until I was like, 7, I didn't get the concept of Disney cartoons being rereleased and just thought "Oh, hey! New Disney movie!" I remember being baffled that The Aristocats appeared in a hand-me-down book from my sister because we just bought it on VHS this year.
I also thought Motown was contemporary when I was 4 (1992) because we listened to it on the radio every morning, so maybe I was a little :downs:.

It's just one of those quirks about how little kids think about the world. I didn't realize that movies could be set in a different time than they were made until that age, I thought that Annie and Grease were both just really old movies.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Guy Mann posted:

It's just one of those quirks about how little kids think about the world. I didn't realize that movies could be set in a different time than they were made until that age, I thought that Annie and Grease were both just really old movies.

10,000 BC shows quite advanced filmmaking techniques for its age

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given Guy Ritchies track record the Live Action Disney Remake will die with his version of Aladdin.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Andorra posted:

I'm looking forward to the live action Fantasia remake, starring Robert Downey Jr. as a dancing mushroom, Gary Oldman as the devil, and John Boyega plays the stegosaurus that gets eaten. And it makes a gazillion dollars.

Oh hey I didn't know they'd announced the cast. I hadn't heard much since the development announcement a few years ago.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-adapt-iconic-fantasia-sequence-799554

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hedrigall posted:

Rocko is depressingly relatable except that episode where his car breaks down and he refuses to take the bus to work. What's wrong with the bus :mad:

America views the the bus as something only poor people do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

America views the the bus as something only poor people do.

Also, especially during the 90s, dangerous/disgusting. Passed out urine soaked people on a bus arent a rarity here in the land of nobody is paid enough to give a gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I think buses have gotten better but during the era Rocko was created they were viewed as like the urine-soaked shithole nobody wanted to take. Which of course contributed to stigma against public transportation.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And honestly, unless you live in a major metropolis, they're a major pain the rear end, especially if you're going on weekends. For my last job, I have to - thanks to how it's scheduled, take an hour-long bus ride to work that brings me there from a half-hour early (weekdays) to a full hour early (saturday) for a route that's fifteen minutes by car, and if I work Sundays, if I didn't have a ride, I'd be SOL going home as the last bus leaves exactly the same time my shift ends.

Not to mention, not as bad as the Japanese subway system, taking the bus as a woman loving sucks, guys that openly leer or think a bus is a perfect place to pick up chicks is not that uncommon.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
After 8 PM and before 7 AM, riding/waiting for the bus becomes skeevy as hell.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean look how loving terrified she is of that bus.

edit: Always with the cats...

edit2: I've actually never watched Totoro. Maybe I'll fix that today.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Totoro was a cute film. I don't remember too much about the plot beyond the climax, with the little girl running away and her older sister running around the countryside trying to find her, though. (That's not really a big spoiler, but better safe than sorry.)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 22, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Martytoof posted:

I mean look how loving terrified she is of that bus.

edit: Always with the cats...

Trust me when I say those kids are completely, totally, fearless. She might be somewhat surprised in the pic, but no more than that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He turns her into a sex slave by reprogramming her butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swDnBLvk8u4

Back to Starchaser: The Legend of Orin chat!! I stumbled onto an interview with the producer/director and the screenwriter where they go over the film's creation and all that but also mention that they're working hard on cleaning up the film for a blu-ray release as well as developing a live action adaptation. Yeah that'll sell real well, everyone's crying out for more Starchaser guys. :rolleyes:

The interviewer specifically asks about the butt reprogramming scene:

quote:

TR: There are some surprisingly mature elements to Starchaser, particularly in regards to sexuality and violence. For a PG animated film, it pushes boundaries, especially in the scene where Silica, the female robot, is reprogrammed through her butt. Was this something you purposefully set out to do in the script?

JS: I wrote it as a live-action script. My viewpoint on Starchaser was just to write a good sci-fi epic. I had no consideration that I was writing animation. Basically, I wanted real characters in a live-action story. I pushed the envelope from a kid’s standpoint with a little sexual innuendo, but I didn’t write it just for kids.

TR: Did you get any notes back asking to tone it down?

JS: Well, I never got anything like that from the production side.

SH: The executives at Atlantic Releasing gave some advice, but it was always positive and encouraging. So we stayed within the PG boundary.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Watch Totoro now, it's the perfect antithesis to... basically all of entertainment today. Just a charming story with no cynical pandering whatsoever. No snarky comic relief, no artificial conflicts, no obligatory story beats. In a sense I feel like it's one of the most optimistic pieces of media ever made.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TOTORO OWNSSSSSSS

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guys guess what

I'm not watching Totoro today

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Miyazaki's best when he's normalizing the fantastic. It's just so goddamn charming and makes you feel good about life. :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I watched Spirited Away in theatres and that was A Good Movie so I'm all for more Miyazaki. I was very down on Anime for a long time but I recently pulled the stick out of my butt so I'm going to watch it once I actually find it. I don't have a BluRay player, it doesn't seem to be available digitally, and there's no way I'm buy a DVD in the year of our lord two thousand and seventeen.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Anime is hit Sturgeon's law as much as anything else, doesn't help the really skeevy stuff is what makes money.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been scoring through the various services I subbed to to see what fun anime I missed in the past twenty years of being a big snob and it turns out you're completely right.

There's a few really pretty looking shows and films that I'm burning through, though, and I'm sure I'll find other stuff I like as I keep going through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I've been scoring through the various services I subbed to to see what fun anime I missed in the past twenty years of being a big snob and it turns out you're completely right.

There's a few really pretty looking shows and films that I'm burning through, though, and I'm sure I'll find other stuff I like as I keep going through.

If you like pretty shows I recommend Chihayafuru and Rakugo Shinjuu.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Totoro has no plot, no character development, barely any dialogue, no stakes, no jokes, few emotions at play other than whimsy, and was made primarily to get theaters to show another film...and it is still beloved by pretty much everyone. That is how charming it is.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So, uhm... I kind of liked the live action Beauty and the Beast?
It was pretty, and even though the Beast's design is really absolute garbage, everyone else's were pretty good. I liked the Lefou subplot, and the extra story bits they added all had a purpose and, well, just kind of worked for me.

It didn't wow me of anything but it did it entertained me decently enough.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm a fan of Magi for the Arabian Nights setting, though it definitely has some uuh moments. Fun thing is, like FMA it's a Shonen manga written by a woman. Mob Psycho 100 gets a lot of praise for it's art direction, and of course Jojo's despite some jokes really not aging age is extremely stylish, but ymmv on how you handle camp.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

If you like pretty shows I recommend Chihayafuru and Rakugo Shinjuu.

Thanks! I'm actually going through Rakyugo now and I'll check out Chihayafuru. Also watching Eccentric Family which is really pleasant just to look at.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I haven't seen Totoro either :ohdear:

The only Ghibli and/or Miyazaki films I've seen are Spirited, Howl's, Mononoke, Arrietty, and Cagliostro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I always thought having seen every Ghibli film was a requirement for being allowed to post in this thread.