Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

Name one time chris directly lied.

that time he said "i am not a massive cocaine fiend"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The Titanic posted:

It's not "I want to do stupid, mundane things in a video game." Otherwise they would go nuts for a Tower of Babel puzzle with physics or something silly. It's "I want to do stupid, mundane tasks and be appreciated for it."

This is a good post, but I want to point out that absolutely no one appreciates the low-level scrub who's reducing the city's rat population

My experience is mainly with MUDs, so it might be different in your Worlds of Warcraft or your Final Fantasies or whatever

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

This is a good post, but I want to point out that absolutely no one appreciates the low-level scrub who's reducing the city's rat population

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Foo Diddley posted:

My experience is mainly with MUDs, so it might be different in your Worlds of Warcraft or your Final Fantasies or whatever

In a roleplay MUD you could be appreciated for performing mundane roles well. For example in the Darksun-themed Armageddon MUD you could get OOC accolades for playing a filthy, diseased scavenger well, even while IC the fancy nobels spit on you.

I doubt RP MMOs will ever happen though.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

In a roleplay MUD you could be appreciated for performing mundane roles well. For example in the Darksun-themed Armageddon MUD you could get OOC accolades for playing a filthy, diseased scavenger well, even while IC the fancy nobels spit on you.

Second Life is close enough I'd guess

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

"Going forward, these cash sales will focus on newly introduced concept ships and top tier limited capital ships." https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15603-Letter-From-The-Chairman

If you scroll down you will see that this has "0254.0" replies. :wtchris: The zero in front is totally unnecessary, and how are you supposed to have less than 1.0 of a full reply? More proof nobody should give these people any money.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

IIRC Chris had NO CLUE the questions were coming from a helium-huffing furry and was pissed as hell when he found out about the video.

Even better honestly, lol

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's not just space. Illfonic's failed lovecraftian RPG Revival had similar things. Which was even more hilarious, because to be lovecraftian it was supposed to be a low magic medieval-ish setting. So people were sperging about things like 'will bathing or not bathing have an in game effect?' so once a week your character would need to go wash to avoid a stinky status effect. Or "if you have a horse and stable, will you have to shovel out the manure to keep your pretty pretty pony happy and healthy?" So that some people could RP being a freelance stable boy or something who would muck out rich people's stalls for them.

https://www.revivalgame.com/blog
https://www.facebook.com/revivalgame/

They learned from CR and were selling virtual houses for the game that didn't exist yet. And then one day one of the subcontractors made a post in the official forums that the project had been canceled and the subcontractors let go. AFAIK that was the only notification their customers ever got. Not so much as an email. The only way to request a refund was to file a ticket in their bug reporting tracker. Very few people received a refund, most got a stock message "we are considering refunds on a case by case basis" and never replied to again.

Edit: If you have archives you can see goons go from hope to crushed dreams and then LOLing at retards who house jpgs in just 18 pages: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730761&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

And guess who is in the comments defending away: Lethality.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/03/24/revivals-development-has-been-indefinitely-suspended/

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I can't wait to roleplay as a hot young virgin with a lust for nerd dick and big ships.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
He was defending them even after the game "closed" and all the developers disappeared. He made some of my favorite posts during that time.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well in the MUD where I was a low-level scrub reducing the city's rat population, roleplay was mandatory. Also the only worthwhile attack my character had was his poisonous bite. I carried around a blackjack of ale and took a big swig after every kill: "Gets the taste out of my mouth." But long story short, I made no friends among the noble poopsockers

I guess I could have eventually leveled up enough to graduate from ratcatching, but it turns out that roleplaying as an untouchable isn't really much fun

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Titanic posted:

To most people this is boring poo poo, but to them it's literally the most important parts of the game.
Perhaps I'm too normal but I simply can't appreciate this mindset. If I'm going to escape, and all video games are escapist to some degree, I'd think I'd do it in a way that makes me important. I'm the hero. I'm the CEO. I'm the ace fighter pilot. I can hurl fireballs and conjure monsters to fight my foes. I slay dragons and rescue princesses. I settle wild lands and conquer hostile realms. I make that sick 360 no scope shot that wins the match. Even in the most mundane game-type, you still have the agency to decide what to do and where to go and how to do it; Train Sim but you get to pick your fantasy of running down the Northeast Corridor in a TGV. It's certainly a challenge to try to negotiate the lovely rail US rail network in a train that goes 150MPH. So sure, if you're into that. There are many fantastic scenarios that don't come within a hundred yards of a toilet scrubber. Even Papers, Please gives you a little taste of petty power as a bureaucrat who can arbitrarily deny someone something they really want, if you want to explore that angle. Pretty much all games in a way offers one the sort of importance and validation someone might seek because it is otherwise be lacking in life because implicit in its premise is the idea that the most important person in that world is you, the player.

To me it seems to defeat the purpose of escapism if you're escaping into the exact same nightmare you're trying to get away from. If the point of fantasy is to give into imagination to let anything happen, it seems a terrible waste of effort if all you can imagine is the same dull grind you experience every day -- except you are now in space medieval fantasy a video game. Come home from the 9-5 that you hate so you can spend all night ignoring your family to clean virtual toilets online?

Maybe I'm the one with the lack of imagination :shrug:

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

I wonder how many would play as the silent lone-wolf that plays by their own rules? I bet that's a rare character archetype.

Re: people insisting on boring poo poo - I'm pretty sure the reason some people want this is because of their magic 'immersion' (because waiting 15 minutes for a cargo ship to be loaded/unloaded is SO REALISTIC).

I guarantee you that even the most stoic supporter of this will be sick of it after waiting 15 minutes for their cargo to be unloaded for the 3957th time, though.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

kw0134 posted:

Maybe I'm the one with the lack of imagination :shrug:

No, your thinking is sound. It's just Star Citizen fans are so hosed in the brain that if God Emperor Roberts told them that they should abandon food and subsist on eating their own faeces, they'd get straight to working out the best way to harvest their new diet.

It's pretty much a "Chris said it, so it's real/true/worth it/the best thing ever!" thing.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

thatguy posted:

I can't wait to roleplay as a hot young virgin with a lust for nerd dick and big ships.

At least it will give you something to do until the game comes out :mmmhmm:

Ba-dum-tsch

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

That's right. And if you don't know something you should remain silent. I accept this apology such as it is for your accusations.

Jesus Christ. We created read OSC's posts on Reddit, but this is the amateur garbage we have to put up with over here? I thought this was a top tier dead gay comedy forum.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Jesus Christ. We created read OSC's posts on Reddit, but this is the amateur garbage we have to put up with over here? I thought this was a top tier dead gay comedy forum.

Agreed. We paid top dollar for the comments.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

DarkRefreshment posted:

I will concede the point that Chris may not be a liar IF we acknowledge, as with the 3.0 by the end of 2016, he is incompetent. If you see the laundry list of all the poo poo that has to be done to get 3.0 even 50% out, there is no way that an intelligent game designer, nay head of the company, could look at that and say "Yep a month or so now looks legit". Something has to explain the gross misses of dates and deliverables. Being a month or two off; sure I'll accept that. Stating incorrect dates over and over again with the knowledge that he has to have of where things are? Give me a break.
It's either malicious (a lie) or it's the lack of understanding of what you are doing (incompetence).

whynotboth.gif

Incompetence and lying are inextricably bound together in my experience. The incompetent will _always_ lie to cover mistakes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

This post didn't get the love it deserved. If Chris is still kicking stuff back down the stairs in 2017 the money situation couldn't be too dire. Then again he appears to have a project management style that is completely disconnected from reality.

Its because its fake and meant to appeal to goondom
[/quote]

It's not really fake it's just the Jennison letter attributed to different people. I.e. even if it's not technically true (if these things weren't actually said by insiders) it's still functionally true because its not saying anything that wasn't said in the Jennison letter and there's no reason to doubt anything in the letter isn't true.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm going to post on reddit tonight.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's not just space. Illfonic's failed lovecraftian RPG Revival had similar things. Which was even more hilarious, because to be lovecraftian it was supposed to be a low magic medieval-ish setting. So people were sperging about things like 'will bathing or not bathing have an in game effect?' so once a week your character would need to go wash to avoid a stinky status effect. Or "if you have a horse and stable, will you have to shovel out the manure to keep your pretty pretty pony happy and healthy?" So that some people could RP being a freelance stable boy or something who would muck out rich people's stalls for them.

https://www.revivalgame.com/blog
https://www.facebook.com/revivalgame/

They learned from CR and were selling virtual houses for the game that didn't exist yet. And then one day one of the subcontractors made a post in the official forums that the project had been canceled and the subcontractors let go. AFAIK that was the only notification their customers ever got. Not so much as an email. The only way to request a refund was to file a ticket in their bug reporting tracker. Very few people received a refund, most got a stock message "we are considering refunds on a case by case basis" and never replied to again.

Edit: If you have archives you can see goons go from hope to crushed dreams and then LOLing at retards who house jpgs in just 18 pages: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730761&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Holy poo poo I laughed my rear end off at the Illfonic thread while it was happening, I didn't even realize there was an SA thread. Time to shell out for archives I guess.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

I hope you've got another bottle, I don't think that'll be enough.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

well HECK Phil posted:

You're absolutely right and I stand corrected. You're a space age honeypot.

He is the modern day Tesla in his Faraday cage, quietly posting while millions of volts blast through the air about him vaporising thousands of effort posts per second.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

scrubs season six posted:

I hope you've got another bottle, I don't think that'll be enough.

Oddly enough Dr. Smart is low sodium. :shrug:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Has Surface Detail ever posted more ballbag pics or did we never get more than just the one? Asking for myself.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xaerael posted:

No, your thinking is sound. It's just Star Citizen fans are so hosed in the brain that if God Emperor Roberts told them that they should abandon food and subsist on eating their own faeces, they'd get straight to working out the best way to harvest their new diet.

It's pretty much a "Chris said it, so it's real/true/worth it/the best thing ever!" thing.

This is what we have to remember. The people supporting Star Citizen at this point have something wrong with them. We're just idly speculating on exactly which way their brains are massively broken. I suspect we'll never truly understand how these people think, in the same way that what a schizophrenic is saying makes perfect sense only to them.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot
I need an adult

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Has Surface Detail ever posted more ballbag pics or did we never get more than just the one? Asking for myself.

As far as I know, only the one with the "scandalous" money near it.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

I need an adult

ask your parents

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Titanic posted:

On the topic of mundane tasks..

It's escapism 101. People play games for entertainment, and a lot of people get really involved in games for other reasons. Once SC declared itself an MMO with all the crazy stuff CR says, escapism people went nuts for it.

There's lots of reasons for escapism. Hate your life. Hate your work. Hate your situation. You feel aimless. Can't fit in anywhere. Feel trapped by life.

This sort of thing isn't just for lol autists either. It could be the 40+ guy with a family and kids, but feels under appreciated by work or home. You can't easily fix your life, but you can have a new life.

It's not "I want to do stupid, mundane things in a video game." Otherwise they would go nuts for a Tower of Babel puzzle with physics or something silly. It's "I want to do stupid, mundane tasks and be appreciated for it."

These are the types super keen on being crewmen #12 on a ship. They don't want to be the hero, they just want to know what it's like to be appreciated and live another life outside of their own.

Escapism was easier in the 90's due to MUDs where you could role play. The system requirements weren't high and the games were pretty populated.

Today games focus on action a lot, and sure there are things like Second Life, but they are mostly themeless. A game like SC that promises deep systems for mundane jobs is exactly what a lot of people are looking for. It's not fantasy, or cartoony, and not 100% focused on action.

I'm willing to bet the number of people looking for this type of escapism are the majority shareholders of the Star Citizen sales. It's why no matter what you say or prove, it doesn't matter. There hasn't been a game since the 90's to cater to the escapism crowd and they are frothing at the mouth for a game in a genre they enjoy without a cartoony and actiony aspect.

The further along SC gets and the more it turns into a basic arena game instead of a mundane lives sci fi MMO, the more these hard core guys will lose interest. Once CR admits that Sq42 is all he is focusing on, that will also help scare these guys away. Nobody wants a 90's era FMV interspersed with space and FPS gameplay except Chris Roberts.

The escapism crowd is very hungry for something. They'll cling to SC for a long time, because there is no other sci fi alternative that promises to let them be store owners stocking shelves, or hunters on a planet camping under the stars and enjoying role playing. Same with long journeys through space with only your crew to interact with.

To most people this is boring poo poo, but to them it's literally the most important parts of the game.

I'm with you 95% but I think the escapism aspect is why some of them want mundane tasks and don't care if they're appreciated for it. Some mundanity adds to the realism which adds to the escapism.

And there's also people that like having some kind of busy work to do when they feel like logging in and doing something but don't feel like dragon slaying or whatever. Stuff like baking in EQ1 and decorating your house in every MMO would fall into these categories.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

I need an adult

You do need an adult, and I'm just the one you need baby.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHNqcHiPhu4
They've gained over $30,000,000 since this video.

No they haven't. That was Aug 2019.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Lol.

e: caxxe

no_recall fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 22, 2017

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

D_Smart posted:

August 2019? Is Star Citizen out yet? I clearly don't understand Timey Wimey paradox development

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

With all these bombers and stealth bombers being sold at a much larger amount than capital ships, aren't all those special cap pilots in for a paddling?

Obviously I've taken the liberty to assume that the game is coming out. But I wonder if any of the Capital Whales know they are really hosed since there are going to be a shitload more bombers than caps when the game starts.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

They were only five years in and 100m spent at that point. How could you expect anything other than unplayable trash?

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

They were only five years in and 100m spent at that point. How could you expect anything other than unplayable trash?

Well luckily this wasn't being shown at a major consumer event in front of a ton of people expecting to see a game not a space dream in super early pre-pre-alpha

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

spacetoaster posted:

Sad to say that combo would work. Cutting Makers Mark with Dr Smart.

MoMa should chime in, but Makers needs a mixer to make it palatable.

Bonus points on driving Reddit nuts.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

This is what we have to remember. The people supporting Star Citizen at this point have something wrong with them. We're just idly speculating on exactly which way their brains are massively broken. I suspect we'll never truly understand how these people think, in the same way that what a schizophrenic is saying makes perfect sense only to them.

I believe you're mostly right.

We are an initiated group here though. I seriously doubt that if a random gamer stumbled onto (or just heard about and went to RSI's website) Star Citizen they would pickup on even a fraction of the red flags we all take as a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard