Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It took years for me to find out what a tam o'shanter was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The last Trek novels I read (and the only ones in years and years) were the Vanguard series, which I really enjoyed. It's not high literature or anything but it's a fun and modernized take on an original storyline and characters set in the TOS era. The authors kinda tried for "DS9 but in the 1960s" and I think they pulled it off well.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watched Heart of Glory, the episode that reveals Worf's backstory. I was glad to find out what his deal is but it was kind of ruined by his dull acting.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Drone posted:

The last Trek novels I read (and the only ones in years and years) were the Vanguard series, which I really enjoyed. It's not high literature or anything but it's a fun and modernized take on an original storyline and characters set in the TOS era. The authors kinda tried for "DS9 but in the 1960s" and I think they pulled it off well.

I'm friends with the author so my recommendation is biased as gently caress, but if you liked the Vanguard series check out the rest of the Trek books by Dayton Ward. IMO he gets TOS really well.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

8one6 posted:

I'm friends with the author so my recommendation is biased as gently caress, but if you liked the Vanguard series check out the rest of the Trek books by Dayton Ward. IMO he gets TOS really well.

Yeah, I really enjoy his stuff, along with Greg Cox's work as well.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Finished season three of ENT, and just watched "Storm Front Part 1." Some thoughts:

:shrug: While I liked well enough how the Xindi plot unfolded, I feel like the Enterprise fought about one too many battles to destroy the super-weapon. Azati Prime was cool because the Enterprise gets trashed and that has cool ramifications for the plot going forward. The final battle is good because it's the big climactic battle. The one(s) in the middle where they're chasing it around Xindi space and it keeps escaping just feels... lame. At a certain point, the show has spent too many attempts so you just know it's going to get away and they're going to have to get it near Earth. It kind of killed the tension of the battle(s) between Azati Prime and Earth.

:doom: Degra was pretty cool, and is as close to doing something interesting with the Xindi that the show gets. While I see why they left the Xindi mysterious and scary to the crew for half the season, I think the plot suffered more than it gained from that. Showing more nuance with them earlier might have given more dimension to the later politicking between the races. And it was hard for the show to really sell the Xindi as mysterious and foreboding when we see them at the end of every episode, plotting. Basically, the season could have used someone like Degra sooner than we got him.

:hellyeah: High point of the season finale: Shran, motherfucker pinkskin. :hellyeah:

:psyduck: This whole show is one giant time travel plot that makes no sense, and I feel like I'm getting through it out of sheer exhaustion at this point. I've said this a million times before in the thread: time travel plots make no loving sense and I hate them. The only way they even come close to making sense is if they're totally circular, but there's usually holes in them even when they try to do that (I'm looking a you, "Time's Arrow"). I had already accepted that the Temporal Cold War makes no sense and learned to just live with it and enjoy the show for everything else... and then Daniels shows up one last time. It's like the show aggressively doesn't care about basic poo poo like cause and effect. Why would he show up mutated and not just loving wink out of existence when his timeline was destroyed by the Nazi Aliens? Also, Daniels was annoying and gently caress him. I'm glad he died the way he did: as a hideous fetal-old man abomination. Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

:commissar: I like that mobsters in NYC are leading the resistance to Nazi occupation of the east coast. It has some parallels with what happened in the allied invasion of Sicily and the Italian mainland. (Americans and British scouts went ashore, made contact with the local mafia, and the mafia assassinated dozens of fascist officers in the days before the invasion force arrived, effectively crippling their ability to mount a defense.) Sure, they're all goomba stereotypes, but it's fun and cool anyway.

Looking forward to finishing up "Storm Front" and the rest of season four (except for the last episode, which I happened to see back when it aired).

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ah yes, mutated dying Daniels, the final time we ever see him :allears:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The whole temporal cold war was a bad idea and I hated the Xindi arc. I don't agree the show gets better in its 3rd season, it's just a different kind of bad. Only the 4th season was worth anything.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I didn't mind the idea of a temporal cold war, but it' was clearly too much for the writers to make interesting and I don't remember anything but Daniels looking like a math club teacher and saying "oh, there's a bunch of stuff happening in the future/off-screen" while Archer squints off into the middle-distance.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mycomancy posted:

We got something very similar in Stargate: Universe. If Voyager would've stuck with their premises like being flung into scarcity and having a conflict between the Maquis and Starfleet crew, poo poo could've gotten very, very good.

That being said, a lot of people hated SG:U for some reason I can't fathom. :shrug:

Sorry to reply to a two day old post, but I also think it was down to having so much going on *on Earth*.

Like, these people would regularly be dealing with familial drama on Earth, when they're not even in the Pisces-Cetus supercluster anymore. That little device they used to contact Earth was such a crutch and it barely even makes sense, they might as have just called it literally The Plot Device. Even Voyager didn't resort to doing poo poo like that. Despite the distances involved, a space cartel was able to figure it out and attack the ship. If it's that easy why is it only the Milky Way is attacking it, should all these life-bearing galaxies with their own SGCs and cartels want a piece of the action too?

They aimed for the middle between sci-fi fans and fans of stuff like the OC and Grey's Anatomy. Problem is, those two audiences are generally mutually exclusive. My GF absolutely will not watch anything Star Trek even a little bit, because of the nerd implications, and I will not watch her sitcoms, because gently caress that poo poo. Caprica did the same thing, and failed for the same reason.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

skooma512 posted:

Sorry to reply to a two day old post, but I also think it was down to having so much going on *on Earth*.

Like, these people would regularly be dealing with familial drama on Earth, when they're not even in the Pisces-Cetus supercluster anymore. That little device they used to contact Earth was such a crutch and it barely even makes sense, they might as have just called it literally The Plot Device. Even Voyager didn't resort to doing poo poo like that. Despite the distances involved, a space cartel was able to figure it out and attack the ship. If it's that easy why is it only the Milky Way is attacking it, should all these life-bearing galaxies with their own SGCs and cartels want a piece of the action too?

They aimed for the middle between sci-fi fans and fans of stuff like the OC and Grey's Anatomy. Problem is, those two audiences are generally mutually exclusive. My GF absolutely will not watch anything Star Trek even a little bit, because of the nerd implications, and I will not watch her sitcoms, because gently caress that poo poo. Caprica did the same thing, and failed for the same reason.

Oh right, those damned stones. I agree they were overused, but I think they had their place and could've been interesting if they had a, say, year long cool down, so you'd get them once per season and that's that.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Voyager trip report: just finished watching selected episodes up to the end of Season 6.

It's a boring slog. My favourite episodes have all been set off the ship, like Prometheus or the ones with Barclay trying to help get in contact.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I for one am shocked.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skooma512 posted:

See, I think this is a case where everyone involved is being an rear end in a top hat, although I'm not exactly a fan of common sit-coms or the emerging genre of middle-aged whites destroying their lives out of ennui.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Ah yes, mutated dying Daniels, the final time we ever see him :allears:

Hey, a boy can dream.

Arglebargle III posted:

The whole temporal cold war was a bad idea and I hated the Xindi arc. I don't agree the show gets better in its 3rd season, it's just a different kind of bad. Only the 4th season was worth anything.

I'm kind of in the middle about season three. I think it was better than seasons one and two, if only because it tries continuity. It's not significantly better, though. It's better like, "hey, this day-old, burnt coffee is luke warm instead of cold." Hopefully season four is a hot, fresh mug of Space Nazis getting shot all day, every day.

All of Enterprise is still better than 80% of Voyager, though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The first two seasons are some good episodes scattered among beige. The third season didn't exactly work but I appreciate them trying something different. The fourth is as good as anything else in Trek.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Coq au Nandos posted:

Voyager trip report: just finished watching selected episodes up to the end of Season 6.

It's a boring slog. My favourite episodes have all been set off the ship, like Prometheus or the ones with Barclay trying to help get in contact.

Most of the stories that feature the Doctor are pretty good. One of my favorites is "Living Witness". A backup device containing a backup of the doctor is uncovered on a world in the future and he's reactivated. Of course, if there's a backup then why do they freak out every time he's about to glitch out in other episodes? It's never mentioned again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah watch every Doctor-centered episode if you didn't he is the best.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nullsmack posted:

Of course, if there's a [plot device] then why do they freak out every time [it would solve the problem] in other episodes? It's never mentioned again.

Star Trek Continuity Mad Libs

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Nullsmack posted:

Most of the stories that feature the Doctor are pretty good. One of my favorites is "Living Witness". A backup device containing a backup of the doctor is uncovered on a world in the future and he's reactivated. Of course, if there's a backup then why do they freak out every time he's about to glitch out in other episodes? It's never mentioned again.

Yeah that episode ruled. I also really enjoyed Prometheus because it's great dumb fun, Andy Dick out of nowhere and a cool new ship. The one where he learned to daydream was great too.

Opinions on characters:
Tuvok: good Vulcan, wasted on this show. Would have been brilliant playing against Takei on the Excelcior
Seven of Nine: more like Seven of FINE. No seriously she's a good character but weirdly over sexualised. Also I don't know why they needed a second stoic, logical character when you've got Tuvok.
Janeway: Ok captain, I suspect my opinion of her is a bit rosy because of how many episodes I've skipped. I liked the "I don't negotiate with Borg" line.
Chakotay: What if Riker was vaguely Native American and hosed around 75% less? What if he sometimes disagreed with his captain but then they agree again? What if Chakotay was engaging in any way. If this was a better plotted out show he would have had way more romantic tension with Janeway.
Tom Paris: In the distant future of the late 90s, there are only dorks. Hooked up with Sarah Silverman, that was cool. Would probably be a better fit for first officer?
Harry Kim: Sucks
Neelix: I liked the episode where he tried to kill himself, but the ending was disappointing.
The Doctor: Best actor and best character on the show, and so is somewhat wasted. His weird boner for 7 of 9 is not endearing.
Torres: How the gently caress do you write a Klingon terrorist and then manage to make her boring?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Seven should have been a complete basket case for at least part of the time after they disconnected her. Picard was shook hard and that was only after a few days.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Speaking of Voyager, was there a scene of the Delta Flyer gaining sentience or something?

I remember Paris saying something and then the computer repeats it a few times after he leaves, re-modulating the sound until it sounds female.

Did I just make that up?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Speaking of Voyager, was there a scene of the Delta Flyer gaining sentience or something?

I remember Paris saying something and then the computer repeats it a few times after he leaves, re-modulating the sound until it sounds female.

Did I just make that up?

It was a shuttle they found.

It was dumb.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tom Paris fell in love, and had sex with, a spacecraft.

And a Camaro.

e: I might be misremembering that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Arsenal of Freedom and lol:

"Tell me about your ship, Riker. It's the Enterprise, isn't it?"
"No, the name of my ship is the Lollipop."
"I have no knowledge of that ship."
"It's just been commissioned -- it's a good ship."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Everyone knew Riker was gonna be a likable dude from that moment on.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Opinions on characters:
Tuvok: good Vulcan, wasted on this show. Would have been brilliant playing against Takei on the Excelcior

:v:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

:thejoke:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Looks like you've fallen into my trap! You see, this is just Tim Russ playing a regular human aboard a different Excelsior class ship!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

What the fuuuuuuuu

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Voyager is sad because no one knows who those characters are supposed to be. Picardo probably isn't the best actor -- the show has a solid cast. He's just the one that was allowed to do anything fun. RDM (aka the guy who played Paris) is actually really solid. He's just written in such a way that he's always the bratty kid or the goofy dad and it's such a waste.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Dark One posted:

Looks like you've fallen into my trap! You see, this is just Tim Russ playing a regular human aboard a different Excelsior class ship!

I always wondered if they got the idea for that Excelsior episode specifically because they saw him on the Enterprise-B bridge that one time and got confused.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Did Starfleet end up buying those weapons? I feel like that tech could have won the Dominion war...

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Bucswabe posted:

Did Starfleet end up buying those weapons? I feel like that tech could have won the Dominion war...

When did Star Trek ever use something world changing that was discovered/created in an earlier episode that wasn't a two-parter? What do you think this is, Stargate?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

8one6 posted:

When did Star Trek ever use something world changing that was discovered/created in an earlier episode that wasn't a two-parter? What do you think this is, Stargate?

The Doc's holoemitter in Voyager?

I mean I guess it wasn't world-changing but it was pretty significant for the series, if for nothing else than being a dumb deus ex machina.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but they didn't actually expand on it.

The only one I can really think of is beaming through shields.

Oh, the slingshot maneuver too.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

8one6 posted:

Drone posted:

The Doc's holoemitter in Voyager?

I mean I guess it wasn't world-changing but it was pretty significant for the series, if for nothing else than being a dumb deus ex machina.

In TNG, the Holodeck gets upgraded in the Binar episode and seems to stay upgraded. Quasi-sapient holograms are explicitly exciting new tech in that and they keep coming back. Plus the Emergency Medical Hologram itself is clearly new development that shows up in DS9 and First Contact as well as Voyager. Oh and Crusher's metaphasic shielding from the killer plant dude episode gets reused in Descent. Also the beacons or whatever they're called for aiming transporter beams through interference come back a couple times. And the rotating frequencies for fight Borg.

Voyager also had a running theme of them trying to get Transwarp to work. Transwarp drive was originally something the Excelsior was supposed to be able to do way, way back, but it apparently didn't work. So Voyager tries to recreate the tech in Threshold, but that doesn't work because it turns people into salamanders and then later they get "Quantum Slipstream" drive from this weird revenge alien, but that burns out and they can't fix it (later, they sell the tech to George Kastanza because they "never could get it to work"). They have their best success with just straight up stealing Transwarp Coils from the Borg, which happens at least twice, and I think is how they actually get home in the end. Also there was a subspace catapult, Kes magic, and hedonism-planet powered teleportation, so they wind up discovering at least five different methods of Transwarp Travel. IDK if the books acknowledge it or not, but the show seems to imply that Voyager successfully brings Transwarp tech back to the Federation. Also, the Star Fleet invents artificial micro-wormhole technology in Pathfinder and that stays around. Those are probably the biggest.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

On the topic of plot devices that reduced Voyager's trip home, didn't Q also give them a little nudge as thanks for saving the Continuum from civil war / helping Q get married / taking care of his brat son?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

He gave them specs to improve their warp drive or something in one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Duckbag posted:

In TNG, the Holodeck gets upgraded in the Binar episode and seems to stay upgraded. Quasi-sapient holograms are explicitly exciting new tech in that and they keep coming back. Plus the Emergency Medical Hologram itself is clearly new development that shows up in DS9 and First Contact as well as Voyager. Oh and Crusher's metaphasic shielding from the killer plant dude episode gets reused in Descent. Also the beacons or whatever they're called for aiming transporter beams through interference come back a couple times. And the rotating frequencies for fight Borg.

Voyager also had a running theme of them trying to get Transwarp to work. Transwarp drive was originally something the Excelsior was supposed to be able to do way, way back, but it apparently didn't work. So Voyager tries to recreate the tech in Threshold, but that doesn't work because it turns people into salamanders and then later they get "Quantum Slipstream" drive from this weird revenge alien, but that burns out and they can't fix it (later, they sell the tech to George Kastanza because they "never could get it to work"). They have their best success with just straight up stealing Transwarp Coils from the Borg, which happens at least twice, and I think is how they actually get home in the end. Also there was a subspace catapult, Kes magic, and hedonism-planet powered teleportation, so they wind up discovering at least five different methods of Transwarp Travel. IDK if the books acknowledge it or not, but the show seems to imply that Voyager successfully brings Transwarp tech back to the Federation. Also, the Star Fleet invents artificial micro-wormhole technology in Pathfinder and that stays around. Those are probably the biggest.
In the most recent novels Starfleet figures out how to get Slipstream working properly and a lot of ships have that now.