Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

ahhhhhh everybody's background color on the text screen is what their element is. :allears:

Also the color of their thief outfit's gloves aside from Makoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Firebert posted:

Also the color of their thief outfit's gloves aside from Makoto

And Ann. And Morgana.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Joker's work because his are red for his Eiha element so they made Ann's pink

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It's taken me until NG+ to realize you can save at your hideout. It just never occurred to me to try it since you couldn't do it at Junes last game. :shepicide:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In the real world you can pretty much save anywhere

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yall have got to learn to read a HUD i swear

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kay Kessler posted:

It's taken me until NG+ to realize you can save at your hideout. It just never occurred to me to try it since you couldn't do it at Junes last game. :shepicide:

I savescummed to get my Ame No Uzume with Dodge Psy about six times before I realized I could save in the velvet room.

Edit: ^^Reading is hard!

Also for some reason my TV overscans and it doesn't have a feature I can find to shut it off so the edges are wonky.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hmm. Think I'm out of Mementos bosses to confuse. Makes the financial planning a little trickier. If what I'm hearing about Palace 6 is true and you can't make a run for the treasure until the very last day, do you still have to deal with the usual restrictions on hanging out with your party members that whole time?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Rangpur posted:

Hmm. Think I'm out of Mementos bosses to confuse. Makes the financial planning a little trickier. If what I'm hearing about Palace 6 is true and you can't make a run for the treasure until the very last day, do you still have to deal with the usual restrictions on hanging out with your party members that whole time?

You can plot your infiltration route right off, it just forces you to wait until the last day to send the calling card

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Moltrey posted:

yall have got to learn to read a HUD i swear

Like I said, I just didn't expect to be able to open the main menu in another menu. I noticed the option to delete personas and figured I could save in the velvet room immediately once I was free to move around in my cell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I think I overground Reapers on accident. I only get in battles in Shidos palace is I actively try to. I didn't even realize I had an insta gank ability until I got here.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rangpur posted:

Well, you need to try to send the calling card first.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Capsaicin posted:

ahhhhhh everybody's background color on the text screen is what their element is. :allears:

I'm not sure why it took them this long to realize that linking the character design theme color to their element was a good idea.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DalaranJ posted:

I'm not sure why it took them this long to realize that linking the character design theme color to their element was a good idea.

Power Rangers figured that poo poo out over 20 years ago. There's no excuse.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Just finished the game tonight, and holy hell was that a fantastic ride. Clocked in 105 hours because I'm a bit of a slowpoke, maxing out my social stats and almost all of my confidants. Only Tower and Devil didn't make it all the way, but that's because one is useless and the other is boring.

This is a good game.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rainuwastaken posted:

Just finished the game tonight, and holy hell was that a fantastic ride. Clocked in 105 hours because I'm a bit of a slowpoke, maxing out my social stats and almost all of my confidants. Only Tower and Devil didn't make it all the way, but that's because one is useless and the other is boring.

This is a good game.

Tower has good perks and minimises the amount of time/gallows it takes for Yoshitsune to become Death Incarnate, but yeah, Devil is the weakest confidant overall by a long shot. Congrats on finishing your anime teenage adventure!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Alder posted:

Mishima is bad regardless if we added more SL events. Floral pants man is the hero we deserve.

What surprises me more about Mishima is that no one involved in making and/or translating the game reacted to the fact that he keeps going between knowing you guys are the phantom thieves and not knowing it. It's especially funny when he sends you two messages at the same time about some Mementos requests you did, where in the first message he knows it was you who caused the change of heart and in the second message he doesn't.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

AG3 posted:

What surprises me more about Mishima is that no one involved in making and/or translating the game reacted to the fact that he keeps going between knowing you guys are the phantom thieves and not knowing it. It's especially funny when he sends you two messages at the same time about some Mementos requests you did, where in the first message he knows it was you who caused the change of heart and in the second message he doesn't.

I think you never really admit that you're the phantom thieves. ...well, he knows, obviously and you know this, but you just keep him at an arms length. ...at least, that's how I see this.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Mishima's got better OpSec than any of the actual phantoms

It's not good but it's better than "none at all", which is what the rest of them are working with

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Instant Grat posted:

Mishima's got better OpSec than any of the actual phantoms

It's not good but it's better than "none at all", which is what the rest of them are working with

The phantoms have to eat a penalty for including Ryuji, to be fair.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Len posted:

I savescummed to get my Ame No Uzume with Dodge Psy about six times before I realized I could save in the velvet room.

I've noticed a bunch of people say that they had to savescum in fusion, and I'm confused. Sure, the stat boosts are random, but I've never had to savescum to get the abilities I wanted. I am extremely oblivious, so I might not have noticed it, but this sure isn't vanilla P4.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I've noticed a bunch of people say that they had to savescum in fusion, and I'm confused. Sure, the stat boosts are random, but I've never had to savescum to get the abilities I wanted. I am extremely oblivious, so I might not have noticed it, but this sure isn't vanilla P4.

They mean gallows fusion.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

imweasel09 posted:

They mean gallows fusion.

Oh, well, that makes more sense. I've never used the Gallows :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the ability your Persona inherits when you use the gallows is random, so if you're fishing to inherit something in particular, you have to save scum. It's why it takes forever to make those super-Arsenes that some people have made. Leveling up the Persona doesn't take long, and you can fish for the stat gains you want without save scumming, but the ability isn't revealed until after the gallows fusion is done.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I think you never really admit that you're the phantom thieves. ...well, he knows, obviously and you know this, but you just keep him at an arms length. ...at least, that's how I see this.

Actually several times you outright say you are. Like when you change the heart of that SM girl, he asks you in mail "how was it?" and your choices all confirm that you did it, like the "she treated us like pigs" one.

And of course later on you both act like you have no idea who the thieves are, so.....

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You have countless options to reply to Mishima that you have no idea who the Phantom Thieves are, that you don't know who changed this person heart, that yes this person scamming the elderly sucks but what can you a high schooler do about it. It's a joke and also plausible deniability, it's just not entirely consistent

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a point where your only choices to Mishima implicate you directly as a Phantom Thief even if you've issued constant denials or beat around the bush before that.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Finished new game plus and platinumed this game.

I am looking forward to replaying this when the inevitable remake comes out

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I absolutely loved this game, and since it seemed to do well, I'm guessing a sequel is nearly inevitable. How do the past games hold up? I might want to give one a shot.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

LorneReams posted:

I absolutely loved this game, and since it seemed to do well, I'm guessing a sequel is nearly inevitable. How do the past games hold up? I might want to give one a shot.

They hold up quite well!

Persona 4 is one of my favorite rpg's. The Persona 5 mechanics may have spoiled you though. but both persona 3 and 4 hold up really well and have interesting stories.
If you are going to try them out. I would suggest the Persona 3 portable version and the Persona 4 golden version

Sefal fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 22, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

You have to strengthen it with gallows so the ability it gets is random

Edit: I probably should have read more posts than just yours before replying like a dumbasss

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, a sequel is more than inevitable. I'm reasonably sure this is Atlus's best-selling game of all time worldwide. Persona was already their most popular series and this one outsold both previous games combined, if I remember the numbers I found correctly.

Persona 4 holds up great, especially if you have either a Vita or PSTV and can play the Golden version. It's not going to be quite as smooth as Persona 5, gameplay-wise, but it's definitely still very good. Persona 3 might feel a little rough, depending on which version you play (and unlike 4, there's not really a "best" version--the two best versions each have their pros and cons), but it's also a really unique game with great atmosphere and a really different story, so it's also worth playing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

LorneReams posted:

Persona 1 and 2 are PlayStation 1 JRPGs from the 90s, so they might feel a bit... clunky if you're used to the later games (especially Persona 5). Persona 3 was a soft reboot of sorts and introduced the day-to-day and social stuff we know and love these days, although obviously it wasn't that polished yet and the game feels a bit rough around the edges in general, especially the endless monotony of Tartarus (which is basically Mementos, except you're on foot and going up instead of down and there are about 200 floors) and the sometimes questionable party member AI. Persona 4 is more polished (many of the improvements were back-ported to Persona 3 Portable), although the dungeons are still randomly generated mazes.

The stories and characters in all Persona games are pretty well done, although of course not every character is exactly a fan favorite (someone post angrygourmetking.png here) and Persona 3 in particular has some real pacing issues.

edit: I should probably mention that if you buy a PSTV (or a Vita, I guess, but the PSTV should be much cheaper), you can get all the older Persona games on it. If you're in the EU, you'll only be able to get the first half of Persona 2, Innocent Sin (the second, Eternal Punishment, is only available in the US as a PSOne Classic), but that's still pretty good.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 22, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Poor, poor heart guy. Stop, Makoto.

Don't bully heart guy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just realized that I never went back to check on bloodstorm stalker girl, and now it's too late.

I wonder what some of the earlier confidant scenes would look like if I had waited too.
Ryuji: And it's all thanks to this guy, mysterious hooded figure you have never seen before.

e: Makoto: This is my incredibly charming boyfriend, mysterious hooded figure you have never seen before.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 22, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I've been replaying Golden and I've realized that making Golden Hands disgorge stupid amounts of EXP + making Player Advantage so easy to get, were both really really stupid decisions.

Someone on the dev team must disagree with me about that last one, considering how easy the stealth is in P5.

Specifically, my beef is that if you wanna get a bunch of money to play around with fusion in P4G, you can't avoid also getting overleveled to hell and back. At least in P5 the "massive amounts of money real quick" and "massive amounts of EXP real quick"-tricks are separate.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Grat posted:

I've been replaying Golden and I've realized that making Golden Hands disgorge stupid amounts of EXP + making Player Advantage so easy to get, were both really really stupid decisions.

Someone on the dev team must disagree with me about that last one, considering how easy the stealth is in P5.

Specifically, my beef is that if you wanna get a bunch of money to play around with fusion in P4G, you can't avoid also getting overleveled to hell and back. At least in P5 the "massive amounts of money real quick" and "massive amounts of EXP real quick"-tricks are separate.

Don't complain. It probably like the really cheap SP refill option in Persona 3 Portable which allows you to go through Tartarus in one sitting instead of multiple days due to the old Tired status being saved for you leave....which half the time later in the game didn't even trigger either.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think P4 golden let you choose how much exp/ money you get?
Maybe a NG+ only thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rirse posted:

Don't complain. It probably like the really cheap SP refill option in Persona 3 Portable which allows you to go through Tartarus in one sitting instead of multiple days due to the old Tired status being saved for you leave....which half the time later in the game didn't even trigger either.

...Uh, TIred (and Sick) is triggered by number of fights. It scales based on your level and is separate for every character for good measure. At higher levels, it takes more fights to get Tired/Sick. It ends up taking so many fights rather quickly that you have to actively try to get it. It's not that it "didn't trigger;" you just didn't fight enough things for it to happen.