Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Speedball posted:

I'm a little fuzzy on what manpower actually does. Is it something I need to have my ships regenerate health?

Available soldiers, basically. Whenever you build a ship or gain a colony, it gets filled to capacity from your global manpower. If that's insufficient, it gets distributed out to them in drips. Riftborn have to manually build manpower, I think everyone else gets it based on population/techs/buildings.

Ships can only replenish manpower (after invading) in your own systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Onean posted:

There's two types of damage and two types of weapons for each, so four different types of weapons. The range effectiveness determines a weapon's accuracy. Each weapon interacts with defenses a little differently as well.
  • Projectile weapons are Missile and Kinetic.
    • Missile range is: 100% long and 80% medium and they cannot fire at short. They are generally second for damage and have the lowest crit chance.
    • Missiles have 10% hull plating penetration and 90% shield penetration.
    • Kinetic range is: 80% long, 100% medium and 100% short. They can shoot down missiles. They're fairly even with Laser damage and have the second lowest crit chance.
    • Kinetic weapons have 30% hull plating penetration and 80% shield penetration.
  • Energy weapons are Laser and Beam.
    • Laser range is: 100% long, 100% medium and 80% short. They're fairly even with Kinetic damage and have the second highest chance to crit.
    • Lasers have 80% hull plating penetration and 30% shield penetration.
    • Beams are 100% effective at short range, and cannot fire at any other range. They have the highest damage by a large margin and the highest crit chance.
    • Beams have 90% hull plating penetration and 10% shield penetration.

Awesome. Thank you. I had almost thought the difference between the sub-classes in projectile and energy weapons were only for flavor.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jesus the riftborn are so slow. GOtta put on all the goddamn engines

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I so wish Stellaris would do ground combat like this. A global manpower pool and ships being able to bring X manpower to bear in an invasion. No loving around with individual troop transports which need like 8 clicks to go from planet to enemy planet. It's funny because "manpower" as a military resource is such a Paradox thing.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Ramadu posted:

Jesus the riftborn are so slow. GOtta put on all the goddamn engines

I really don't care much for the engine progression in this game. You have the starting engine with a speed of 2 and can almost immediately get the next engine (warp) with a speed of 3, and then you're basically stuck with that for most of the game (the hyperium engine only grants extra evasion) until getting anti-matter with a grand speed of 4. Yawn. I feel like they needed a couple more steps and some more significant speed increases between them. I mean, I understand you can slap on extra engines if you gotta go fast, but I would've preferred some greater variety there.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
For anyone who's having slowdown issues in later turns, try switching to Windowed mode. It makes it way smoother/faster for me.

Am I missing something, or is Tower of Temporal Paradox utter garbage? It's a tier 4 tech, Riftborn exclusive, and the Tower is the only thing the tech gives you:

Once per empire building:
+1 Dust, bonus increases by +1 every turn

Compare that to Cube of the Viceroy, a Riftborn exclusive, tier 2 tech:

+25 Dust per System Level
+5 Dust per Original Empire Population

And the tech also unlocks Production Buyout.

Did they forget to multiply Tower by 10 or something?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Onean posted:

Now, a little in depth look for combat. This is based off the Unfallen tech tree and the Unfallen starter hero's ship (Fedez-class named Drop) with all modules removed. The majority of the techs are the same, but other factions may have specialties or replacements I'm not addressing.

There's two types of damage and two types of weapons for each, so four different types of weapons. The range effectiveness determines a weapon's accuracy. Each weapon interacts with defenses a little differently as well.

It's nice to see they revamped the combat triangle from ES, it was annoying stripping flak from ship designs as missiles became obsolete faster than kinetic or lasers. Without crits, missiles will fall behind to the kinetics and lasers against a properly outfitted fleet. Heroes can't boost crit and fleet weapon to insane ES levels.

Perhaps they toned down the AI's behaviour because the AI previously changed their fleets to counter yours all the time. If you had sensor range into their empire you could see ships of a higher Mk with completely different loadouts within 2-3 turns (as fast as they could produce them). Maybe it's tied to difficulty?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Is there any use for luxuries outside upgrading star systems? Seems silly to have tons of luxuries and only ever use 6 or so.

Besides dumping them on the market, you use them to bribe systems that are about to revolt. Vodyani can also trade them with brainwashed minor civs to convert the minor civs' pops to useful bonuses.

Avasculous posted:

For anyone who's having slowdown issues in later turns, try switching to Windowed mode. It makes it way smoother/faster for me.

Am I missing something, or is Tower of Temporal Paradox utter garbage? It's a tier 4 tech, Riftborn exclusive, and the Tower is the only thing the tech gives you:

you aren't missing anything, it's terrible and you'll never bother to build it

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Avasculous posted:

Compare that to Cube of the Viceroy, a Riftborn exclusive, tier 2 tech:

+25 Dust per System Level
+5 Dust per Original Empire Population

And the tech also unlocks Production Buyout.

Did they forget to multiply Tower by 10 or something?

Erm, the tower is REALLY good. The base value looks like it's terrible. But think about it 50 turns in the future. It'll be spitting 51 dust every turn. And 100 turns from then, 101 dust. It just keeps going up every turn. If it was +10 dust, bonus increases by +10 every turn that would be hilariously broken. The cube is worth less in the long term.

Keep in mind that I don't know how much it costs and I haven't played Riftborn yet. Just by looking at the description it doesn't look like garbage. What else does the tech give you that unlocks that building?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Erm, the tower is REALLY good. The base value looks like it's terrible. But think about it 50 turns in the future. It'll be spitting 51 dust every turn. And 100 turns from then, 101 dust. It just keeps going up every turn. If it was +10 dust, bonus increases by +10 every turn that would be hilariously broken. The cube is worth less in the long term.

Keep in mind that I don't know how much it costs and I haven't played Riftborn yet.

it's a tier 4 tech that takes a ton of industry to build. you're not going to be playing 100 turns after building it. empires are going to be pushing economy or score wins probably less than 50 turns after you unlock it.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Its tier 4 though, a trade HQ easily gives you that much and more.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I've been derping around in this over the weekend and I'm enjoying it. As the World's Worst 4X Player* Amplitudes games have always been tantalizing to me. I absolutely adore the Endless setting and aesthetics and Amplitude is a really cool studio that from day 1 has been incredibly communicative and attempts to integrate the community into development (for better and for worse). Still, I've bounced off every game pretty hard (aside from Dungeon of the Endless which I loved to pieces) but I determined to sit down and give ES2 the ole college try. I watched several youtubers explaining their thought processes and starts and I've come into the game with a better understanding of aiming for a win condition and reacting to the environment you find yourself in. (I am definitely interested in any good youtuber/streamer recommendations by the way) It's been working pretty well and I had a very satisfying win as Unfallen over the weekend.

The restrictions and unique mechanics that the Unfallen start with have helped keep me focused and even though I ended up vacillating a bit at the end I managed a pretty respectable Economic win. I've tried a couple United Empire starts and have aborted them all because I still don't have the discipline to play a more open ended and flexible faction like that. I also don't understand offensive military actions well enough yet, turtling up with the Unfallen was one thing but with UE I feel like a purely defensive playstyle is non-optimal (although probably very doable). I'm going to try a couple Voydani and Craver starts next to try and force myself to learn early aggression.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned much here is the music, it is extremely dope. You can find the whole thing here: (https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-soundtrack) if you didn't get the digital soundtrack. The Riftborn theme is my personal favorite. The Ground Battle Theme is also insanely catchy despite being very simplistic. Great background studying/work music.

* I lack the patience to learn to play them well and always end up building these sprawling monstrosities that fail to be tall or wide and just end up...fat. And being fat they lack any meaningful progress towards a win condition and just kind of sweatily roll along until the game mercifully ends. That's all assuming I don't get mauled early on by an aggressive enemy or just roving barbarians/pirates since I was so busy trying to optimize production and research that I completely neglected my military...again. It's very weird how pacifistic I am in these games given the fact that I am insanely over-aggressive in every other genre of game I play.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Cease to Hope posted:

it's a tier 4 tech that takes a ton of industry to build. you're not going to be playing 100 turns after building it. empires are going to be pushing economy or score wins probably less than 50 turns after you unlock it.

Okay, in that case it's garbage. Could probably spend the industry on more ships instead. If it was an early game building, it would be really worth it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

And being fat they lack any meaningful progress towards a win condition and just kind of sweatily roll along until the game mercifully ends.

you're in luck, this describes both economy and score win conditions

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Delacroix posted:

Perhaps they toned down the AI's behaviour because the AI previously changed their fleets to counter yours all the time. If you had sensor range into their empire you could see ships of a higher Mk with completely different loadouts within 2-3 turns (as fast as they could produce them). Maybe it's tied to difficulty?

I don't know. During my first game I was up against the Cravers. The first battle we had the were heavily energy focused, while I was heavily projectile. The next combat I had refit my defenses to counter them. The third combat had them refit to counter my weapons and defenses. This was over the course of about 10 turns while I was holding a choke point against them.

I've been kind of floundering in the early turns as I explore the tech tree and other mechanics, so I haven't had another game where I've had more than a couple battles against the AI. Maybe that was a fluke, I don't know.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Onean posted:

I don't know. During my first game I was up against the Cravers. The first battle we had the were heavily energy focused, while I was heavily projectile. The next combat I had refit my defenses to counter them. The third combat had them refit to counter my weapons and defenses. This was over the course of about 10 turns while I was holding a choke point against them.

I've been kind of floundering in the early turns as I explore the tech tree and other mechanics, so I haven't had another game where I've had more than a couple battles against the AI. Maybe that was a fluke, I don't know.

the AI will definitely flipflop back and forth between kinetic and energy weapons based on your defenses. it's not as fiddly as it was in ES1, but it's just as stupid and unfun to counter and no more interesting than it was in ES1

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I so wish Stellaris would do ground combat like this. A global manpower pool and ships being able to bring X manpower to bear in an invasion. No loving around with individual troop transports which need like 8 clicks to go from planet to enemy planet. It's funny because "manpower" as a military resource is such a Paradox thing.

I'm pretty annoyed at ground combat right now.

The enemy treant-people are just spamming a system I'm invading with 1 ship each turn. The ship is a troop transport ship so it completely refills the system's manpower through a blockade. I have been invading with 5 Siege/Invasion cruisers on top of my Doom Stack(s) for 50 turns is at a stand still because I can't make any progress.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Can you go back a system and cut off the ship there?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cease to Hope posted:

the AI will definitely flipflop back and forth between kinetic and energy weapons based on your defenses. it's not as fiddly as it was in ES1, but it's just as stupid and unfun to counter and no more interesting than it was in ES1

Just build half and half. The AI never splits its defenses at all so it always works out. If you're constantly refitting all your ships then you're probably doing something wrong, imo.

I mean, not that that makes it interesting either, but I don't find it stupid or unfun. Now, the newly revamped ground combat on the other hand... It wasn't like this in Early Access, I can tell you that much.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
everyone has the same units and even the most extreme builds aren't very differentiated from each other. it's almost everything bad about ES1 combat and nothing good about EL combat. it's 100% backslide.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Technically the ships have have fundamentally different designs between Factions, in terms of how many slots they have for what. In practice, it doesn't matter that much. Design-wise, my guess is that they don't really care for the war aspect all that much and made it fairly basic on purpose, so it's just another facet of your empire-building instead of its own mini-game that takes up most of your attention.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 22, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
All involved/tactical combat in 4X games is bad anyway so I'm fine with it being slightly above Stellaris' "build bigger and better blobs and slam them into each other" method.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe I missed it but the game doesn't seem to have a lot of feedback on how defenses and weapon systems interact. For most games I'll just go with the piddly starting weapons and grab a quest reward for an upgrade while I go full economy. The UE start off with a pretty decent all-ranges laser gun that does a lot of work through most of the game for me.

I have no idea how laser and kinetic defense works though. They're just stat points but I haven't actually had a hard game yet, I think I need to bump the difficulty up another notch because the AI always rolls over in a war.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe I missed it but the game doesn't seem to have a lot of feedback on how defenses and weapon systems interact. For most games I'll just go with the piddly starting weapons and grab a quest reward for an upgrade while I go full economy. The UE start off with a pretty decent all-ranges laser gun that does a lot of work through most of the game for me.

I have no idea how laser and kinetic defense works though. They're just stat points but I haven't actually had a hard game yet, I think I need to bump the difficulty up another notch because the AI always rolls over in a war.

Projectiles and lasers are basically just physical and magical defense from an RPG. You equip heavier armor to stop physical attacks, and energy shields to stop energy attacks.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Cease to Hope posted:

everyone has the same units and even the most extreme builds aren't very differentiated from each other. it's almost everything bad about ES1 combat and nothing good about EL combat. it's 100% backslide.

The combat has been delineated into numbers so autoresolve is on par with manual combat. For MP or just getting the most out of your units in autoresolve, this is preferable to each unit having a special ability and acting like clueless idiot e.g 3/4 of support units in EL. They can and should add more varied ship modules like weapon and fleet-wide/individual bonuses but EL combat was asking for desyncs every turn.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean, you missed my post on the last page. It's all information available in-game in the ship design screen once you turn on detailed stats.

Also, after combat resolves take a look at the Advanced option in the results screen. It will tell you damage done, shots missed and crit, and damage mitigated during each phase of a fight.

Edit: Actually, scratch the damage mitigated, I'm not sure if it shows that or not. The rest it absolutely does.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 22, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Craver exclusive building at the the left seems sweet. It's a huge space hive for ships and fleets which gives +1 happiness per ship you have.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Onean posted:

Edit: Actually, scratch the damage mitigated, I'm not sure if it shows that or not. The rest it absolutely does.

Sometimes it shows it and sometimes it doesn't, same with other data like the damage 'repartition,' which usually only shows the damage you've done but will occasionally show the enemy fleet's damage in the different phases as well. The after-battle report seems pretty buggy, tbh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

The Craver exclusive building at the the left seems sweet. It's a huge space hive for ships and fleets which gives +1 happiness per ship you have.

For one planet. It sucks. Or at least I wasn't able to build another one, even though it doesn't say "once per empire".

Much better is the Craver-exclusive final fleet-size upgrade: passively gives every single colony +50 Production for each opponent you're at war with. If you make sure to let your enemies survive with a single dinky outpost (which you should be doing anyway, for the Militarist happiness bonuses), this is amazing for the final 15 turns of the game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 22, 2017

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Has anyone posted a really clear explanation of trading corporations and how to get the most out of them yet? This is a particular system in ES2 that's baffling me more than others.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
For economic victories, is it only dust generated per turn that counts towards your cap, or any dust you make? Late game I find myself capping 999 on lux and strat resources so I just bulk sell them. Does that money earned from sale count towards the victory condition?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

For one planet. It sucks. Or at least I wasn't able to build another one, even though it doesn't say "once per empire".

Much better is the Craver-exclusive final fleet-size upgrade: passively gives every single colony +50 Production for each opponent you're at war with. If you make sure to let your enemies survive with a single dinky outpost (which you should be doing anyway, for the Militarist happiness bonuses), this is amazing for the final 15 turns of the game.
If it's empire wide one structure should be +2 for better input maybe? Still seems handy with the huge fleets you could run. I've not built it yet but will do a Craver run through tonight.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Onean posted:

Can you go back a system and cut off the ship there?

There is no hyperlane so the ships are streaming in from 4-5 different systems.

The war is at a stalemate until I can park a stack over all of them.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

The Bramble posted:

Has anyone posted a really clear explanation of trading corporations and how to get the most out of them yet? This is a particular system in ES2 that's baffling me more than others.

• Build trading company HQ.
  • Build trading company subsidiary.
  • Trade will automatically start between the two. Your trading company will start levelling up as it makes money, and will become better at making money/science the more levels it has.
  • Having trade occur will also start filling the counter to unlock your second trade company HQ and subsidiary.
  • Build second trade company HQ & subsidiary.
  • Trade will automatically start between the two, as before. However, HQ 1 will trade with *both* subsidiary 1 and subsidiary 2, as will HQ 2.
  • This means that trade brings in exponentially more money the more HQs and subsidiaries you have to trade with - one HQ and subsidiary will produce 1 trade route, 2 HQs + subsidiaries will produce 4 trade routes, 3 HQs + subsidiaries will produce 9 trade routes etc.
  • It also means that trade agreements that open up other empire's trade subsidiaries to you are HELLA POWERFUL. Like, 20-30k dust per turn income powerful.
  • There's apparently a whole thing where longer trade routes bring in more money but you won't notice any significant gain from minmaxing this versus having as many HQs + subsidiaries as you can cram into your empire.
  • If this wasn't all already ridiculously overpowered, trade also brings in science and luxury resources. You can boost the yield of either trading company dust income or science income by investing dust to build freighters of either type on the Trade Company segment of the economic overview screen.

Trade companies are the primary reason why Economic victories are currently so unbalanced. I love the concept, but they do need to be toned down just a little bit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Bramble posted:

Well, I wouldn't say I know how to optimize them, but:

• Trading Companies are unlocked by a tier 3 tech in the industry/economy section of the tech tree.
  • The first step is to build a Trading Company. Getting it out sooner is probably more important than trying to optimize its location, so do it somewhere with good production since it's pretty big (for the early game).
  • Once built, the trading company does literally nothing until you build another building somewhere else. This is the trade subsidiary or whatever it's called. Each Trading Company you build unlocks one subsidiary by default. The idea is that this thing marks an endpoint from a trade route. As long as this route isn't blockaded, the trade route generates Dust, Science, and luxury goods based on its endpoints as well as a smaller value from every system in-between. The idea is that you want these routes to be as long as you can get away with, but again it's more important to just get it out sooner.
  • After you build your first trade route, it starts earning you dust. Each dust it earns goes towards a bar that unlock the 2nd Trading Company, and then the 3rd, etc, up until they cap out at 6. Each addition Trading Company follows the same rules as the first one, but with one caveat: they also form routes between each previous company and their subsidiaries. This makes each addition Trading Company more valuable than all the previous ones.
  • Once you have like 3 or 4 they start snowballing and then you win with an Economic Victory before anything interesting happens. Just, you know, for the record. You can also get like 400 luxuries per turn, which is just silly.
  • Trading Companies can be upgraded by investing more dust into them. You probably shouldn't do this past the first level or two though, because the amount they upgrade is so incremental that they'll almost certainly never pay it off. I mean, the upgrades scale with how much they produce while the costs don't, so theoretically it's good later on, but by that point you're closing in on the end of the game anyway. I'd save your dust for buying stuff in systems, personally.
  • Maybe if you have 200k dust already and want to make your Economic Victory come a couple turns sooner? Seriously, it's not worth it to invest in them.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 22, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I really like the Vodyani design, but I can't get a handle on their early game at all. It seems like, more-so than other races, they really can get hosed with a bad starting position. So far, in three games, I've had one where the nearest minor civ was 8 turns away, another where I had two minor civs right next to my homeworld. Even then though, I was struggling with getting enough industry and manpower to get early warships up and running.

The only good start I've had with them so far came when in my first election, the environmentalist faction took over (shockingly, since they were polling at near 0%) and suddenly my two-ark/three-planet empire became two-ark/eight-planet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

My problem with the Vodyani is that their plot quest spawns a bunch of pirates at the beginning and that's incredibly annoying.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Clarste posted:

My problem with the Vodyani is that their plot quest spawns a bunch of pirates at the beginning and that's incredibly annoying.

This actually made me restart that game I mentioned where the closest Minor civ was 8 turns away. That quest spawned pirates right over the minor civ, completely blocking my expansion until I got more scouts out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Clarste posted:

My problem with the Vodyani is that their plot quest spawns a bunch of pirates at the beginning and that's incredibly insurmountable.

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Keep in mind that I don't know how much it costs and I haven't played Riftborn yet. Just by looking at the description it doesn't look like garbage. What else does the tech give you that unlocks that building?

That's pretty minimal dust for a T4 dust tech. Tons of earlier stuff nets you far more much quicker.

E. is it a bug when you only harvest one strategic resource on a planet that has two? Seems to only happen with titanium/hyperium. Finding a world that has both really early on is great, but the titanium is the only one that deposits, and this has happened to me every time i find a world like it (Yes, i have had the tech for harvesting)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 22, 2017