Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

King Arthur is fine, but it's pretty mixed tonally. Jude Law definitely was pulled from a more serious movie that doesn't have a character named 'Kung Fu George' in it. Also, Eric Bana kills a horse about a minute into the movie and it's given no attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vegetable posted:

It is in fact a bad movie franchise. The second one was insufferable

It's a kids movie

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

well why not posted:

King Arthur is fine, but it's pretty mixed tonally. Jude Law definitely was pulled from a more serious movie that doesn't have a character named 'Kung Fu George' in it. Also, Eric Bana kills a horse about a minute into the movie and it's given no attention.

I don't think he killed the horse, they just parted ways :v:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Do we really need Johnny English when Austin Powers existed?

Anyways, King Arthur isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. It's third act is a bit incongruous, even compared to the rest of the movie's weird tone flipping. It's fairly fast paced and a nicely shot movie with some cool aesthetics. Acting is pretty solid for what's basically a cartoon adaptation of "what if King Arthur but with swearing and London chicanery".

Far worse movies have done far, far better.

well why not fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 22, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Johnny English is completely different than Austin Powers. It's about a bumbling office worker who becomes a spy, while the second is more about an old spy using old methods caught in a modern action movie. It's closer to Spy if anything.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Between Jonny English, Austin Powers, Spy and Get Smart, the spy-spoof genre is almost more present than actual spy movies.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

well why not posted:

Between Jonny English, Austin Powers, Spy and Get Smart, the spy-spoof genre is almost more present than actual spy movies.
Most of those are pretty dated examples. Past two years have been big for spy movies: Bridge of Spies, Spectre and Man from UNCLE. Probably missing a few.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Johnny English 2 isn't very good, but had it's moments, especially the chase scene.

Johnny English 1 though is fantastic.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Most of those are pretty dated examples. Past two years have been big for spy movies: Bridge of Spies, Spectre and Man from UNCLE. Probably missing a few.

Fair, we're also disregarding stuff like Jason Bourne or Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vegetable posted:

Recent spy comedies/parodies: Keeping Up with the Joneses, Central Intelligence, The Brothers Grimsby, Spy, Penguins of Madagascar, Minions ...

Dunno which category you'd put Kingsman: The Secret Service and the recent Fast & Furious films into but they're definitely spy films which attempt to deconstruct the genre to some extent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pablo Bluth posted:

Sounds like there might be a Johnny English 3 in the works. It might not be greatest movie franchise in the world, but I'm a sucker for the charms of the first two.

It's hilarious that the second movie came out like 11 years after the first.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's hilarious that the second movie came out like 11 years after the first.

Only 8 years which isn't really that much. We're getting a Blade Runner sequel later this year which is 35 years after the original and we're also getting a Mary Poppins sequel next year which is a 54 year gap between films.

Sequel gaps over over 10 years are actually pretty common: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_longest_gaps_between_film_sequels

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The only person I know who would be totally amped for a new Johnny English is this weirdo Hindu guy in my class who also thinks videos of Sikhs are inherently hilarious.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Well, of the those three, Man from UNCLE had a strong comedic/parody element to it also. Even Spectre was pretty much the Daniel Craig Bond era's version of Austin Powers in how it's pretty much a stereotypical 60s Sean Connery Bond film plopped down into the super-serious 2010s.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The only person I know who would be totally amped for a new Johnny English is this weirdo Hindu guy in my class who also thinks videos of Sikhs are inherently hilarious.

That guy is going to set fire to the Golden Temple while cackling maniacally and screaming "SIKH BURN!" at the top of his lungs.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

we're also getting a Mary Poppins sequel next year which is a 54 year gap between films.

Wait, what?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Emily "Full Metal Bitch" Blunt is Mary Poppins. Lin-Manuel Miranda is the Dick Van Dyke replacement. No word on a Michael Rooker cameo yet.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 22, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

*daintily floats down from the sky and folds up her unbrella*

"Miss me, motherfucker?"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Schwarzwald posted:

*daintily floats down from the sky and folds up her unbrella*

"Miss me, motherfucker?"

Shame the chimmery man isn't Tom Cruise and it turns out Mary Poppin is another life they live in "Live, Dead, Repeat, Repeat".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rirse posted:

Shame the chimmery man isn't Tom Cruise and it turns out Mary Poppin is another life they live in "Live, Dead, Repeat, Repeat".

He dies so horribly, they jump back to 1890?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

‘Uncharted’ Reconfigured: ‘Spider-Man Homecoming’s Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake For Shawn Levy

Sony Pictures is bullish enough on its upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming star Tom Holland that the studio is doubling down on the young actor by building a second major franchise around him. Holland is attaching to star in Uncharted, in what will be redrafted as a prequel to the treasure hunting action story line in the Naughty Dog video game for PlayStation. Shawn Levy is directing a film that will take its inspiration from a sequence in the third iteration of the video game that focused on the young thief Drake, and his first encounter with the professional rogue, Sullivan. This reformulation of the franchise was an inspiration of Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman after seeing the latest cut of the Spider-Man film, sources said. The studio has tried for years with various directors to get this video game to launch a franchise, with past scripts from Joe Carnahan, David Guggenheim and Eric Warren Singer. Sony Pictures will now set a new scribe to draft the story line that captures the protagonist as he grows into the treasure hunter Nathan Drake who made the game a top seller. Uncharted is produced by Charles Roven, Avi Arad, Alex Gartner and Ari Arad.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/tom-holland-uncharted-nathan-drake-movie-spider-man-homecoming-shawn-levy-1202099530/

Oh boy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Emily "Full Metal Bitch" Blunt is Mary Poppins. Lin-Manuel Miranda is the Dick Van Dyke replacement.

Well, he's the Dick Van Dyke replacement most of the runtime. Dick Van Dyke himself will actually appear in the film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Dick van Dyke is still alive?!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Well, I mean, it's kind of reassuring to know that Sony hasn't really learned anything and are going to continue making weird, bad, obviously focus-group oriented choices going forward. At least they're reliable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh neat, they took the least interesting route to get their adventure franchise off the ground. Well at least if it gets to a third and fourth entries they wont be using an aged out guy to do the stunt work.

And they could, you know, edit the gently caress out of the third ones story to be cohesive and not arbitrary.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It isn't like adult Nathan Drake is a radically inventive new character, either.

Charismatic Holland with a solid Sully could make for a fun mentor buddy movie, something between adult Indy and the Tintin movie from a few years ago. The levels of the game they allude to involve teen Drake trying to steal a relevant thing from a museum in Colombia and encountering an older thief who was hired to steal it too. Older guy has standard change of heart when his boss wants to kill the kid and takes him under his wing for a lifetime of adventure.

e: I guess I'll say that I find that idea mildly more interesting than another Indy/National Treasure 35-year old white guy archaeologist. But Uncharted doesn't really lend itself to interesting movies for the story, only for maybe the setpieces that are less compelling when you aren't actually playing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grendels Dad posted:

Dick is eternal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Visually the airplane shootout/crash sequence in 3 is rather engaging even without the element of play and could easily be retooled into a great sequence.

The hours of Drake climbing a thing to get to a window to drop down to the other side of a locked door could be reduced to a montage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don't like the Young Drake idea. The game was smart not to let that drag on for too long.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yay another origin movie that has a six-movie franchise rising on it that totally wont implode from high expectations

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Universal Monsterverse is now called Dark Universe

http://www.welcometoprodigium.com/

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Very disappointed that Javier Bardem is playing Frankenstein's monster instead of Frankenstein himself.

Also the rest of it sounds dumb. Who decided we need a Universal monsters extended universe, anyway?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Grendels Dad posted:

So is Jerry Van Dyke, though he's a few years younger, and they even tried to do a Coach revival show a little while ago.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Universal Monsters was the original extended universe but at least it didn't have a dumb name then

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Universal Monsterverse is now called Dark Universe

http://www.welcometoprodigium.com/

So Dracula Untold has been completely swept under the rug.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Depp could be very good as the Invisible Man.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I'm so tired of Universal trotting out this shared universe bullshit.

They're so desperate to create something on the scale of Marvel's films they'd probably sell coke in front a police station if it increased their odds of success by 1%.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Parasol Prophet posted:

Very disappointed that Javier Bardem is playing Frankenstein's monster instead of Frankenstein himself.

Also the rest of it sounds dumb. Who decided we need a Universal monsters extended universe, anyway?

Universal Studios in the 1920's

:goonsay:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Universal Monsters was the original extended universe but at least it didn't have a dumb name then
If they're going to do it then I think it might as well have a cheesy name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have Frankenstein played by different actors for several movies in a row, including whoever is set to play Dracula.

• Locked thread