Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Montana owns (at least the western half, have been to the eastern half) and is a great place to set a game like far cry. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mutata posted:

Uh, didn't the last game that was set in the fake-Nepalese mountains also have a parallel environment that was literally mythical Shangri-la populated by magical tigers and poo poo?

idk, all I saw was it go from tropical islands to a place in the mountains to Montana, I only saw the magical poo poo in 3 since it's the only one I really tried.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't think Farcry 5 will pull some truth is in the middle bullshit, but I bet certain people will bash the game for being antifree speech and communist propaganda.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

tap my mountain posted:

I don't think Farcry 5 will pull some truth is in the middle bullshit, but I bet certain people will bash the game for being antifree speech and communist propaganda.

You can safely bet that about any piece of media that isn't American Sniper.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

The tide's already turning. Millenials in general are hyper-sincere and produce works about sincere exploration of emotions and personal vulnerabilities through optimistic heroism and rejection of cynicism. Just give it 5 years for more of them to be in a position to make things with money behind 'em.

I'm legit looking forward to this, by the way. Television in particular has gotten in my opinion needlessly and overtly cynical and dark to the point of ridiculousness. Like, maybe society needs some of that and it's just me, so whatever, but there's a reason why I haven't gotten into a TV show in almost a decade and instead watch buddies hanging out joking and playing video games on YouTube instead. Except Stranger Things which I loved in part because it had a lot of good vs dark balance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's why I love Sense8.

Like, yeah it's cheesy as gently caress, but it's ultimately so positive and life affirming.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bloodychill posted:

Finally started playing Stellaris over the weekend. It's really fun. The research events are great, loving the stupid ceramic vessel.

It's good at first and then it goes bad

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

tap my mountain posted:

I don't think Farcry 5 will pull some truth is in the middle bullshit

To be fair neither did Far Cry 3 or Bioshock Infinite, but that didn't stop a lot of people from saying they did.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

To be fair neither did Far Cry 3 or Bioshock Infinite, but that didn't stop a lot of people from saying they did.

They did though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mutata posted:

I'm legit looking forward to this, by the way. Television in particular has gotten in my opinion needlessly and overtly cynical and dark to the point of ridiculousness. Like, maybe society needs some of that and it's just me, so whatever, but there's a reason why I haven't gotten into a TV show in almost a decade and instead watch buddies hanging out joking and playing video games on YouTube instead. Except Stranger Things which I loved in part because it had a lot of good vs dark balance.

I think sincerity is important to the equation. A lot of 80s and early 90s media was so phoney baloney and heavily calculated, that's why gen Xers reacted so strongly to the wave of 90s cynicism embodied by like, Daria. But something like say, Steven Universe, feels really sincere in its positivity. Sincere media shouldn't tell you that weed is bad and kills you if you try it once, or whatever other Reaganist bullshit children's entertainment was trying to push. It needs to talk about real poo poo (metaphorically) and not dodge the idea that problems exist, but also tell kids not to give up and that there is hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2doZROwdte4

Of course, a lot of incurably cynical people see this kind of media as "ticking boxes" :sigh:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Oh and apparently Sonic 2 was supposed to involve time travel at some point and that's why there's just random stages like Chemical Plant Zone because they're in the bundle of dystopian future levels.

https://twitter.com/necrosofty/status/866702759357292544

wasn't sonic the hedgehog 1 all over the spectrum in the first place? was there actually a demographic of players that were confused and demanded canon explanations for Chemical Plant Zone?

Lurdiak posted:

but also tell kids not to give up and that there is hope.

A Message of Hope From Tom 'Moof' Davies posted:

Livestock: Do you have a message of hope for the readers, Tom?

Moof: NO NOTHING

Livestock: THERE IS NO HOPE?

Moof: NO HOPE

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I thought the reason why Ubisoft games all had pseudo-realism and barely any fantastical elements was the same as those Eidos concepts for the original TR 2013 reboot that had Lara Croft riding a horse while fighting some giant creature: market research showed them most people wanted realism in their games. At least that's what I've heard repeated over the years whenever the topic of Ubisoft's mediocrity for settings pops up.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I have no idea what far cry 3 was trying to pull lol

it's weird to me that we're already accepting that we can't create evil christians in games without a bunch of controversy. we've made evil everything else

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

wasn't sonic the hedgehog 1 all over the spectrum in the first place? was there actually a demographic of players that were confused and demanded canon explanations for Chemical Plant Zone?

I don't think anyone was necessarily confused by random zones, but it does explain some things like why there was a place named "Genocide City Zone" at one point in what is otherwise a cartoony game (I think you can see that in the ROM or else it's be shown elsewhere).

Also that Hidden Palace Zone that's on the rom but isn't finished was likely supposed to be the warp zone between time periods.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

You know I was expecting the new Twin Peaks to be more like the old series, but a more Eraserhead direction is a welcome change.

I really wonder if the arm is a coy nod to Deadly Premonition's arm tree

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Far Cry 3 was testing the limits of how unlikable you could make a main protagonist before getting the player to give up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Honestly it was all the characters. I don't understand how I was supposed to take their "We are fixing this boat!" plan seriously when the boat was 500 feet up a cliff. How the gently caress were they going to get it to the ocean?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Phantasium posted:

Turns out the fastest way for me to go through my backlog was to delete and sell stuff.

This. Do this.

Most of the stuff on your backlog isn't worth playing, folks. Give stuff an hour or two and if you don't feel the need to keep going then dump the loving thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It would be fine if the presentation was all tongue-in-cheek but the impression I got from the lead writer in interviews is that he was very much up his own rear end and Jason's character development was supposed to make you really think about the horrors of violence, maannnn.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I remember reading the Far Cry 3 writer saying it was all satire or something after the game came out and everyone said his story was dumb

e: ^yeah

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FauxLeather posted:

Games have only had stories for about, one or two years now. Writers don't know what they're doing yet.

If you had posted this about 10 years ago I might have agreed but I think game writing has come a long way, and the best examples of it are on par in terms of quality and character development with any other entertainment media. This is one aspect where I think game enthusiasts are way too hard on themselves. There are a lot of inventive and just plain solid narratives being written for games now. It's a great time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think anyone in Far Cry 3 was likeable or interesting. But at least Jason didn't do too much of my pet peeve in open world games, where the hero keeps complaining when he gets a sidequest. I want to do sidequests, drat it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

If you had posted this about 10 years ago I might have agreed but I think game writing has come a long way, and the best examples of it are on par in terms of quality and character development with any other entertainment media. This is one aspect where I think game enthusiasts are way too hard on themselves. There are a lot of inventive and just plain solid narratives being written for games now. It's a great time.
Whoosh!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't tell what's real anymore in Trump's America, the largest fakepost of them all.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think anyone in Far Cry 3 was likeable or interesting. But at least Jason didn't do too much of my pet peeve in open world games, where the hero keeps complaining when he gets a sidequest. I want to do sidequests, drat it.

I always 100% sidequests in the games that I finish but mostly out of a sense of anxiety rather than personal enjoyment.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I can't tell what's real anymore in Trump's America, the largest fakepost of them all.
Just pretend your post was one of those hypersincere whatevers Lurkiak was going on about. I think that's what he was talking about? It didn't involve turning a Vulkan Cannon on flesh-eating mutants so I just kind of skimmed it as I scrolled past.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Man Injustice 2 seems cool, its like watching a fully animated comic book during the cut scenes and while each individual character doesn't seem particularly deep its technical enough to be interesting to play above easy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I do a lot of sidequests when I begin a game but around halfway through I get bored and skip a lot of stuff just to get done with it. Ever since Kingdoms of Amalur I'm wary of games with too much side content.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If Far Cry 5 lets you gun down white nationalists and "sovereign citizens" it will be as cathartic as Wolfenstein and Mafia III were

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If Far Cry 5 lets you gun down white nationalists and "sovereign citizens" it will be as cathartic as Wolfenstein and Mafia III were

Far Cry Instincts: Redditor

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I gotta get four more klansman buttcheeks so I can make a new wallet

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I started Bayo on the PC last night. It runs great but a couple varieties of enemies are mostly invisible. It makes it harder to read their tells but thankfully those enemies barely show up.

It's cool to start it up and still have enough skill to get golds and platinums on most of the combat segments.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I do a lot of sidequests when I begin a game but around halfway through I get bored and skip a lot of stuff just to get done with it. Ever since Kingdoms of Amalur I'm wary of games with too much side content.

I did this with Horizon: Zero Dawn. Game was really good but I got tired of running across the map checking stuff off a list and just barreled through the last 40% of the story.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

tap my mountain posted:

It's cool to start it up and still have enough skill to get golds and platinums on most of the combat segments.

:chloe:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bayonetta would've probably completely replaced nier in my netflix binge game slot at this point if it were not for the fact that nier doesn't grade you for not paying attention to it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's kind of crazy how effective bad grade rankings can make you enjoy something less, even if you're doing okay for a first playthrough.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

It's kind of crazy how effective bad grade rankings can make you enjoy something less, even if you're doing okay for a first playthrough.

I feel the opposite. It means I have lots of room for improvement and there's going to be a lot of replayability. A game where I get good rankings on my first playthrough gives me the feeling that there's not much to build on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

On Bayonetta it's totally normal to get stone rankings on every single segment in your first playthrough, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

One of the many reasons that the DMC reboot sucked rear end is that just staying alive was enough to get a good rank most of the time. What's the point of rankings if you're gonna do it like that?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FauxLeather posted:

Games have only had stories for about, one or two years now. Writers don't know what they're doing yet.

deus ex was over a decade ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean, as in i replayed the 5 minute introduction mission the second i finished it to upgrade my one gold medal to a platinum. i'd never be able to watch Season 3 of Kimmy Schmidt, Now Available on Netflix while doing that, it's incompatible

• Locked thread