Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

similarly, i've stalled out on playing prey. games that actively engage your attention are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was doing pretty well in scores until those loving claw enemies showed up ruining everything.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

exquisite tea posted:

On Bayonetta it's totally normal to get stone rankings on every single segment in your first playthrough, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

It sucks. I don't want to play a game that constantly reminds me how bad I am at it.

e: No, I'm not saying the gameplay is bad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was enjoying Assassin's Creed Syndicate precisely because it was a split-attention game so I was watching it while the NBA Playoffs were on.

But this one fight club, man, I have to be dialed in like I'm playing Injustice 2 against World Champion SonicFox

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm having this problem where Yakuza 0 constantly makes me want to be eating delicious food, but it's hard to eat and play the game at the same time :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Bayo by the end of the first normal run I was getting golds and platinums in individual segments but because I didn't find any secrets I would still end up with Stone Rank

Snak posted:

I'm having this problem where Yakuza 0 constantly makes me want to be eating delicious food, but it's hard to eat and play the game at the same time :(

I am watching Yakuza 0 so I get to avoid this problem. While playing Persona 5 I was basically eating curry and ramen every day

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

You know I was expecting the new Twin Peaks to be more like the old series, but a more Eraserhead direction is a welcome change.

I really wonder if the arm is a coy nod to Deadly Premonition's arm tree

He made fire walk with me free of the network meddling so his new series was always gonna be more like that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

I feel the opposite. It means I have lots of room for improvement and there's going to be a lot of replayability. A game where I get good rankings on my first playthrough gives me the feeling that there's not much to build on.

While that makes perfect sense to me, I rarely replay games, so all that means is that I get dunked on for a portion of the game for not being grand master supreme.

Although I am not actually too terrible at Platinum's stuff for it to bother me, I'm just thinking back to how games like MMZero would penalize you for using game mechanics to get stronger like old Megaman games would, or not awarding you the actual enemy weapons unless you scored high enough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It sucks. I don't want to play a game that constantly reminds me how bad I am at it.

The reason why you tend to get stone rank during the first playthrough of Bayonetta is because you miss all the secret areas. Once you find those it's not particularly hard to get Gold or Platinum.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not getting full rainbow v's on all of viewtiful joe is my deepest gaming regret

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cowcaster posted:

not getting full rainbow v's on all of viewtiful joe is my deepest gaming regret

I can never beat the last segment on ultra v-rated. I'll never get Captain Blue...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

How insecure do you have to be to get all your self-worth from a video game ranking system.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

When I say the combat sections I only mean the normal ones. Some of the trickier alfheims are too hard for me right now, and the qte right after the lava street ensured that I got a stone trophy for that level.

Samuringa posted:

I was doing pretty well in scores until those loving claw enemies showed up ruining everything.

The first Grace and Glory is the exact moment the game picks up

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I spent 45 minutes on the tutorial in Titanfall 2 because I did not like being in the bottom half of the leaderboard.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ometeotl posted:

How insecure do you have to be to get all your self-worth from a video game ranking system.

How is this even what you managed to get out of that post

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I spent 45 minutes on the tutorial in Titanfall 2 because I did not like being in the bottom half of the leaderboard.

he comments on you beating various peoples' scores too which is nice

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

When I say the combat sections I only mean the normal ones. Some of the trickier alfheims are too hard for me right now, and the qte right after the lava street ensured that I got a stone trophy for that level.

The QTEs and the "think fast" nature of the cutscenes are some of the few bad things about Bayo 1. I'd always forget that they'd want you to dodge right out of cutscenes until it was too late.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ometeotl posted:

As a Top 500 D.Va player, let me just say "very."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Red Dead 2 coming out Spring 2018 now

Well that's one off the list

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you thought it was coming out this year, then lol. If you think it's coming out spring 2018, then lol.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

depends on the benz

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I used to be friends with a girl who was a writing major because she wanted to write video game stories

We're not friends anymore but that's because she decided to be a massive prick to me and act like we were never friends because one of our mutual friends, Kat, told her to stop being friends with me so she more or less decided to burn the bridge entirely because someone else told her to. Funnily enough, she'd talk to me about how she didn't like that people just treated her like a miniature Kat and that she is her own person and she doesn't want to be seen as just a smaller version of Kat, but when push came to shove she was more than willing to just dump it all to keep being a mini-Kat.

Apparently she ended up going to full sail university to finish her degree. She transferred there because the college we met at wasn't making her happy because she only wanted to write happy, christian-friendly video game stories, and the creative writing classes would give her work that required writing things that weren't solely happy. She didn't want to learn to write stories that had anger or sadness in them because she didn't want the stories to contain those kinds of emotions. I remember her telling me about how her dad was trying to say to her that you shouldn't just devote yourself to just one kind of writing, that you should broaden what kinds of writing you want to do, but her takeaway from that was that she should make sure to learn multiple different kinds of game writing and not just focus on turning her knight-turned-into-a-bear story into a video game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I found a QR code in Alan Wake and it showed me this. what even is this game

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

lol that's great. if you didn't get it's a max payne joke

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

but her takeaway from that was that she should make sure to learn multiple different kinds of game writing and not just focus on turning her knight-turned-into-a-bear story into a video game.

so does the bear turn back into a knight or does he stay as a bear

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

The White Dragon posted:

so does the bear turn back into a knight or does he stay as a bear

Monster World V: The Beartrap

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Leroy Dennui posted:

Monster World V: The Beartrap

I've seen that gay bar

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mak0rz posted:

Is that the guy they used as the original Max Payne model? If not, he does the "constipated / smelling a rancid fart" face remarkably well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

an actual dog posted:

lol that's great. if you didn't get it's a max payne joke

Oh yeah, I got it. the code wasn't even hidden anywhere, it was hiding in plain sight in a normal game area.

edit:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Cowcaster posted:

similarly, i've stalled out on playing prey. games that actively engage your attention are the worst

Then play Peggle or something, what the hell

Mak0rz posted:

That is Sam Lake, creator of Max Payne and original model for Max's face texture. That specific moment is from a talk show in-game, where the host says to him, "c'mon, do the face!" I love him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WqAmuSXEQ

So that's why the guard was so adamant that you get rid of that can at the beginning of HL2.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Did anybody buy Dawn of War III? It's already 50% off at GMG... https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-iii/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WqAmuSXEQ

So that's why the guard was so adamant that you get rid of that can at the beginning of HL2.

fuckin lol. That's crazy. I'm a little surprised.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

She greeted me with "Hey, finally someone normal around here."

Normal, she calls the man wearing an iron mouse suit.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I bought an Xbox One.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What games did you get/are you getting

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It came with Minecraft and I'll grab Rare Replay at some point.

Mostly grabbed it because I have a ton of credit at the local store I shop at and the 360 I got off of Amazon a few years ago on the cheap to replace my original red ringed 360 was... well, really cheap and I can play most of the 360 games I care about on the thing. Just gotta hope Vesperia gets added to backwards compatibility at some point.

I think I also own ReCore because of it being on both Win10 and XB1 but I think I remember the actual XB1 version being a trashfire for more reasons than it being ReCore.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

on starting the campaign up for the first time I spent like an hour and a half or so in that room just to get that trophy. It seemed just possible enough that I couldn't let it go.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

from the giantbomb video I saw it looks like Rogue Legacy but way better. I thought the *idea* and concept of Rogue Legacy was cool but was bored to tears by the simplistic gameplay and worthless "heritage trait" system. Dead Cells looks 100x better and with actual combat and cooler skills. I was holding off on it but might not be able to much longer.
It definitely gets bonus points for being one of the first to do that procedural generation pretty well. I think Rogue Legacy has a weird bell curve in it's enjoyability, it's got that well-known grinding hump especially if you level the wrong things or don't get/grind certain items. I quite liked most of the end-game content (even the more random bosses were pretty generous with hits) but that totally does away with the stat RNG that shapes the real game. I hope their new beat 'em up does well.

Speaking of, I hope Matthew Brown's new game is more like Hexcells and less like SquareCells. Though I'm not holding too much hope as I've never been a fan of the more algebraic one.
https://www.twitter.com/Ma77hew_Brown/status/865891038514302978

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hello, games chat. it's been awhile.

• Locked thread