Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
in a sense what you are describing is in the game, it's just that instead of cobbling things together like Warhammer 40K Orks, you are literally scrapping everything down to it's molecular component pieces and then using them as legos for things like bullets and lasers.

Too me the greatest "classic" weapons line up will be Bioshock, because of the weirdly visceral joy I experienced from upgrading my toys at Power to the People stations and seeing the cogs and wires and stuff that was getting glued to my guns and making them look all weird.

DESPERATION EDIT: Is there anyway on earth for me to get the DLC if i didn't Pre-order? I was on the fence until launch day but seeing that Margrave is making me unreasonably jealous and I waaaaaaaaant it. Is there any way short of buying the game again (I won't do this)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Bust Rodd posted:

seeing the cogs and wires and stuff that was getting glued to my guns and making them look all weird.

I forgot how much I liked that until just now.

Also Dishonored. Fallout4 nailed that as well.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does Arx Fatalis have the same kind of open level design that Prey does? I saw an interview where the devs were talking about how their goal with Prey was to make a game with the structure of Arx Fatalis and the trappings of System Shock. I've never played Arx Fatalis but if it's the same kind of first person metroidvania thing I might have to go check it out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i do not begrudge this game its lack of weapon variety except in the sense that it doesn't introduce an entirely new weapons tree 80% of the way through the game that is disgustingly worthless, difficult to use, with extremely limited ammo, that costs more neuromods to first research, and then to use, than any other weapon in the game

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 22, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Jack Trades posted:

That audiolog has seriously made the story a lot worse just because it spoiled everything really early.
Prey's plot follows the rest of its design philosophy. There is nothing truly hidden, and if you notice threads you can pull them to see where they go. This is not a flaw. It is a deliberate design choice.

Once the game gets going it becomes a meditation on humanism more than a plot-driven suspense generator, though the gameplay is meant to keep you cagey moment-to-moment. Plot developments aren't really presented as twists with the narrative build-up of Bioshock or SS2. It doesn't try to tell you how to feel.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 22, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does Arx Fatalis have the same kind of open level design that Prey does? I saw an interview where the devs were talking about how their goal with Prey was to make a game with the structure of Arx Fatalis and the trappings of System Shock. I've never played Arx Fatalis but if it's the same kind of first person metroidvania thing I might have to go check it out.

I only recently started playing Arx Fatalis and I'm not that far into it but the structure of the game does feel similar to Prey so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Trades posted:

The game could've used a Fire and/or Electricity based weapons of some sort, I think.
There are already a bunch of interactions between stuff and flame/lightning typhoons. Could've done the same with guns.

There's really no reason that at least one scientist with access to pressurized flammable gasses wouldn't have used the Typhon incursion to make themselves a flamethrower. Hell they'd probably have done it in their off-hours for fun even without the Typhon running amok.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

MH Knights posted:

A powered up potato gun as a sort of rocket/grenade launcher? Molotov cocktails? IEDs of some sort?

I like how the game avoids having the typical FPS weapon line up.

The fact that, by and large, the first gun you'll find is the Gloo gun is actually super clever. Sure, there are conventional FPS guns in here, but the game puts something unique and weird and useful in your path first.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One of the reasons it's the first gun you find (along with a gloo'd mimic) is to gently nudge the player away from straightforward combat toward more lateral thinking about movement and tactics. The game's (minor) failures tend to revolve around how the game doesn't shore this notion up as strongly as it could. Toe-to-toe combat tends to be easy, stealth is a touch and go affair even when you don't account for the living land mines all around you, and the climbing mechanics are really wonky. It plays like Bioshock and there's really no reason not to play it that way, but it could have been pretty different.

I'm looking forward to seeing how a prospective survival mode could do the work of incentivizing different styles of play.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 22, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Basic Chunnel posted:

One of the reasons it's the first gun you find (along with a gloo'd mimic) is to gently nudge the player away from straightforward combat toward more lateral thinking about movement and tactics. The game's (minor) failures tend to revolve around how the game doesn't shore this notion up as strongly as it could. Toe-to-toe combat tends to be easy, stealth is a touch and go affair even when you don't account for the living land mines all around you, and the climbing mechanics are really wonky. It plays like Bioshock and there's really no reason not to play it that way, but it could have been pretty different.

I'm looking forward to seeing how a prospective survival mode could do the work of incentivizing different styles of play.

The PS4 version's input lag did `*wonders*' for me in terms of disincentivizing combat (and making hacking a lethal affair).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is that fixed now?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't have access to it atm, but I've heard it is.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
I keep thinking I'd love a weird "just exist on the station" survival mode, getting all parts of the station online and keeping things running.

It would be a nice weird zen-like experience, and reminds me that I really enjoyed playing with the music off, I spent lots of time just stopping, turning off the flashlight and enjoying the scenery of the moment I was in.
And loving that there are absolutely areas that feel like they 'want' you to do that, and then also more often than not, finding something worth the snooping around stuck who knows where.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ravinghobo posted:

I keep thinking I'd love a weird "just exist on the station" survival mode, getting all parts of the station online and keeping things running.

It would be a nice weird zen-like experience, and reminds me that I really enjoyed playing with the music off, I spent lots of time just stopping, turning off the flashlight and enjoying the scenery of the moment I was in.
And loving that there are absolutely areas that feel like they 'want' you to do that, and then also more often than not, finding something worth the snooping around stuck who knows where.

I would pay 20 bux for a DLC of that mode.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Yeah that's the thing. I did that last time. Since this is no mods run I just thought gently caress it and ran for Kaspar and got basically the exact same result. Is there another variation?
Hmmm. Did you remember to actually fix the Life Support? You have repair and replace a resistor pack in a nearby wall.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Is it possible to save Danielle? I thought it was silly that she was supposedly slowly suffocating just outside the station when there were so many unlocked airlocks. I even went EVA looking for her outside the windows to the pool, but I couldn't find her and judging by the where her tracking bracelet icon was placed on my map, as far as the game was concerned she was in the Crew Quarters load section.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Copper Vein posted:

Is it possible to save Danielle? I thought it was silly that she was supposedly slowly suffocating just outside the station when there were so many unlocked airlocks. I even went EVA looking for her outside the windows to the pool, but I couldn't find her and judging by the where her tracking bracelet icon was placed on my map, as far as the game was concerned she was in the Crew Quarters load section.

There doesn't appear to be any way of saving her. Even if you kill the imposter cook as soon as you see him, the plotline still has her run out of air and suffocate out in space.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Ok, ok. I'm probably not the first to mention this, but why the gently caress, on a floating space laboratory that is based entirely around developing magical devices that instantly give a person expert knowledge in a field where they had no background, why the gently caress is Dahl the only person who can possibly pilot a shuttle back to Earth?

I had an awesome ride through this game, but that was the one time I was rolling my eyes at them undercutting their own premise to create higher tension (that wasn't needed anyway).

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Just finished my first playthrough, goody-two-shoes no typhon powers throughout. Missed the "save everyone" achievement because the volunteer in psychotronics ran off to fight a phantom with his fists and died. I can see how his dumb rear end ended up where it was.

Great game all in all, I just love skulking about the spacestation, sneak attacking baddies and recycling everything that's not bolted to the floor.
The stun gun is probably the most effective weapon in the game v:kiddo:v

Now for a full typhon powers rear end in a top hat run!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Copper Vein posted:

Ok, ok. I'm probably not the first to mention this, but why the gently caress, on a floating space laboratory that is based entirely around developing magical devices that instantly give a person expert knowledge in a field where they had no background, why the gently caress is Dahl the only person who can possibly pilot a shuttle back to Earth?

Like everything else that happens at that stage of the game, it's a bald-faced plot contrivance. Sadly the plot really breaks down in the end stages.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I dare to suggest that piloting a spacecraft is not like driving a car, and that it is in fact an extremely specialized skillset that would be uncommon among people not devoted solely to that job. It could be the case that spaceflight is costly and subject to strict scheduling. Also it was probably assumed that the unpiloted lifeboats would be the only thing needed for evacuation and there was no plan B, and that this was probably by design given quarantine concerns.

Given a few astrophysicists, they might be able to figure it out, but this isn't a game adaptation of The Martian

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 22, 2017

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I just found Avellone wrote for this game. How good is the writing? I'm considering buying this without waiting for a sale if it's as good as Avellone's output usually is.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

dex_sda posted:

I just found Avellone wrote for this game. How good is the writing? I'm considering buying this without waiting for a sale if it's as good as Avellone's output usually is.

Very good (especially emails and the primary antagonist) but IMHO, a little sparse. You're going to want more of it.

If you're on the fence, I'd say "buy". It's the most interesting thing Avellone's done since Planescape. On par with New Vegas if not better.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I dare to suggest that piloting a spacecraft is not like driving a car, and that it is in fact an extremely specialized skillset that would be uncommon among people not devoted solely to that job. It could be the case that spaceflight is costly and subject to strict scheduling. Also it was probably assumed that the unpiloted lifeboats would be the only thing needed for evacuation and there was no plan B, and that this was probably by design given quarantine concerns.

Given a few astrophysicists, they might be able to figure it out, but this isn't a game adaptation of The Martian

Naw, the only excuse would be that they have to specifically​ record whatever skill to make a neuromod for it, and that they just hadn't gotten around to recording How to Land a Shuttle yet.

Which is stupid in and of itself because they are an isolated space station so you'd think they'd want the ability to just poo poo out pilots if they had to, rather than concentrating on important stuff like "Hey, Danielle, you wanna be a popstar?"

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

the black husserl posted:

Very good (especially emails and the primary antagonist) but IMHO, a little sparse. You're going to want more of it.

If you're on the fence, I'd say "buy". It's the most interesting thing Avellone's done since Planescape. On par with New Vegas if not better.

loving sold

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Basic Chunnel posted:

At the very least, it would be perfectly reasonable to let someone else make a piloting neuromod once they get the pattern for it out of his head- no need to work around keeping Dahl's orders secret.

Also, Prey's engine would be perfect for making a game version of The Martian.

On an unrelated note, I managed to start up the dance party ambush before the quest that relates to it. I was extremely confused as to why a bunch of Typhon showed up, but it felt like something right out of a summer action movie.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

dex_sda posted:

I don't know how much input he had over the narrative design but there are aspects of it that have his fingerprints all over it. I'm assuming you know the basic first reveal of the plot at this point, but I'll spoil this next bit in case you don't.

Game narratives tend to be straight-jacketed by the cognitive dissonance associated with a player character existing before the events of the game but not being controlled by them. Characters tend to be blank slates who effectively don't exist before you control them, because doing otherwise would cause players to cry foul (see: FONV Lonesome Road) and this limits story possibilities.

What Avellone frequently does to get around this obstacle is use an amnesia plot contrivance to reconcile a character's past agency with the player's present control - thus giving you some responsibility for choices you didn't personally make, without breaking immersion. They're your character now, but they weren't always. Morgan Yu's Groundhog Day situation and the "personality drift" of neuromod abuse is to Prey what The Nameless One's changing consciousness was to Planescape / the Spirit Eater's soul hijacking was to Mask of the Betrayer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Copper Vein posted:

[Discussion of in game world building about Neuromods] "Hey, Danielle, you wanna be a popstar?"

I think it makes sense that they'd invest effort into marketable and fun skills. Their customer base is going to be incredibly wealthy people, not people who want to do jobs.

A millionaire isn't going to want to pay to learn how to fly a shuttle, they're going to want to instantly learn the piano and impress all their wealthy friends.

As for the combat skills, that ties into a different class of wealthy buyer.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't know how much input he had over the narrative design but there are aspects of it that have his fingerprints all over it. I'm assuming you know the basic first reveal of the plot at this point, but I'll spoil this next bit in case you don't.

Game narratives tend to be straight-jacketed by the cognitive dissonance associated with a player character existing before the events of the game but not being controlled by them. Characters tend to be blank slates who effectively don't exist before you control them, because doing otherwise would cause players to cry foul (see: FONV Lonesome Road) and this limits story possibilities.

What Avellone frequently does to get around this obstacle is use an amnesia plot contrivance to reconcile a character's past agency with the player's present control - thus giving you some responsibility for choices you didn't personally make, without breaking immersion. They're your character now, but they weren't always. Morgan Yu's Groundhog Day situation and the "personality drift" of neuromod abuse is to Prey what The Nameless One's changing consciousness was to Planescape / the Spirit Eater's soul hijacking was to Mask of the Betrayer.

I don't have anything to add here, but I wanted to say that this is a really astute point - especially the comparison between Yu and The Nameless One's old personalities .

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Apologies if this has been said before, but anyone else think this should have been called Psychoshock? Or Neuroshock? Anything shock? I just loving hate the name "Prey."

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Whoa, Danielle Sho is voiced by Ann Veal.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Who? Her?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kurzon posted:

Hmmm. Did you remember to actually fix the Life Support? You have repair and replace a resistor pack in a nearby wall.

I did. Got the dialogue "Oh we can breathe again" but for whatever reason they still assault life support and take casualties :iiam:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Dogen posted:

I did. Got the dialogue "Oh we can breathe again" but for whatever reason they still assault life support and take casualties :iiam:

It's to make sure it doesn't just happen again

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Zomborgon posted:

It's to make sure it doesn't just happen again

I guess so. Just seems like there isn't any way to stop them.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Erwin the German posted:

Apologies if this has been said before, but anyone else think this should have been called Psychoshock? Or Neuroshock? Anything shock? I just loving hate the name "Prey."

System... Shock!

dex_sda posted:

I definitely found myself playing the game for the writing and not so much for the overall gameplay. DOOM did excellent shooting and enemy design with practically zero story focus last year, this game is pretty much the opposite. That's not to say the shooting isn't occasionally fun, but it's not enough to prop the game up by itself - it's telling that I got the achievements for finding the vast majority of emails and audiologs and still went out of my way to find as many as I could afterwards. Even if the overall story can be a little predictable, there's no denying the writing is one of the best parts of the game.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 22, 2017

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Kurzon posted:

I seem to remember I did. Well, something to test next run. This run everyone dies.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Let's talk for a sec about how detailed this game can be in regards to saving the exact pattern of chaos that you leave in your wake as you move through the station.

There is a tight maintenance hallway behind Morgan's office that leads to the rear of the LG screen. This hallway comically has a glass floor in some spots with an IT office underneath. The first time I noticed this, I happily bashed a small hole through the glass so that I could fall into the IT office below, since I had never been in there at that time.

Much, much later in the game, I was being pursued by a certain persistent foe through the offices above the Talos lobby and thought that I could make a getaway if I ducked through that small maintenance hallway and punched through the LG screen on the other side like an awesome badass movie guy.

As I entered the dark corridor I flipped down my psycoscope in case there was a mimic in there and ran in a dozen steps or so in tunnel vision before crashing through the compromised glass floor and into IT office where a few Typhon were waiting for me.

I had completely forgotten about the glass floor. Over a dozen hours had passed in between when I cracked that glass, and when my dumb rear end fell through it. It's the permanance of those little details that sucked me into System Shock 2, and Prey is built out of little details.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Copper Vein posted:

Let's talk for a sec about how detailed this game can be in regards to saving the exact pattern of chaos that you leave in your wake as you move through the station.

There is a tight maintenance hallway behind Morgan's office that leads to the rear of the LG screen. This hallway comically has a glass floor in some spots with an IT office underneath. The first time I noticed this, I happily bashed a small hole through the glass so that I could fall into the IT office below, since I had never been in there at that time.

Much, much later in the game, I was being pursued by a certain persistent foe through the offices above the Talos lobby and thought that I could make a getaway if I ducked through that small maintenance hallway and punched through the LG screen on the other side like an awesome badass movie guy.

As I entered the dark corridor I flipped down my psycoscope in case there was a mimic in there and ran in a dozen steps or so in tunnel vision before crashing through the compromised glass floor and into IT office where a few Typhon were waiting for me.

I had completely forgotten about the glass floor. Over a dozen hours had passed in between when I cracked that glass, and when my dumb rear end fell through it. It's the permanance of those little details that sucked me into System Shock 2, and Prey is built out of little details.

There's a glass walkway spanning across the lobby, with one endpoint right at the hardware labs. Said walkway is breakable.

Guess what I did in the second hour of the game? I had to jump over that dang thing for 20 hours. I really wish I could fill it in with the GLOO gun instead of just marking the edges (which I had to do or else I'd blithely trip and fall through every time like a dumbass).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it makes sense that they'd invest effort into marketable and fun skills. Their customer base is going to be incredibly wealthy people, not people who want to do jobs.

A millionaire isn't going to want to pay to learn how to fly a shuttle, they're going to want to instantly learn the piano and impress all their wealthy friends.

As for the combat skills, that ties into a different class of wealthy buyer.

I swear there's an email that directly addresses this. In that Transtar wanted returns as quickly as possible with mass marketable mods as opposed to the more out there research the Yus were doing.