Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Collateral Damage posted:

This was a great episode. The Ratsun is my favorite car in the show, if only for how much it's been tormenting the guys through several episodes.

I thought it was strange that they called it Roadkill's first Ford, when they had the Raunchero pretty much from the beginning. Pretty sure it was just a carbureted 302 also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Raluek posted:

I thought it was strange that they called it Roadkill's first Ford, when they had the Raunchero pretty much from the beginning. Pretty sure it was just a carbureted 302 also.

First bonkers Ford build, I guess. The ranchero originally had a 363 that liked to poop freeze plugs, but after that they went with a basic 302 that's been more or less reliable but boring.

I did like Freiburger's "gently caress this loving piece of poo poo" solution of welding the water pump rather than getting the right part.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I already said this in the youtube thread, but yeah, that's a great episode of Roadkill and Office Space.

In other AI news, this guy is trying to drive the Mongol rally in a pretty much stock Nissan Leaf, which just might be the most insane thing I've seen in a while.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/05/nissan-leaf-ev-mongol-rally/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

7000-10000 miles on 90 miles a day is pretty silly. I like the attempt though. And a lifted leaf plowing through a pond is pretty badass.

(but I'd do it in something with its own power generation, like the Volt)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Awesome car poo poo: when someone can hit a wall at well over 200 mph (with a force of 118G)... and only suffer hip and pelvis fractures.

Racing is still dangerous, but drat have they made progress over the years.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
118Gs measured from where? Side question do Indy helmets have force sensors on them?

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Found this at a local shopping centre today, straight from filming Mad Max.

(I also had a photo of a rusted Monte Carlo or something in Seattle similar to this Holden)

I was also in NW Murica at the end of last year, was impressed to see a bunch of actual interesting cars on the road -

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

fingerling posted:

Jesus christ, that guy is sitting on a goldmine.

A guy we sell goods to at work bought a burnt out HQ shell purely for the donk as he's restoring one, spent $25k and ended up having to toss it as it was too far gone.

Even with that little bit of rust, the body is super straight for its age. If its not just a 186 tarted up as a GTS, theres probably $50k AUD right there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Saw this guy cruising at 70 on the freeway, pulled up to ask and yes, it's his daily driver:

Then I saw this being prepped for some film shoot:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Then I saw this being prepped for some film shoot:

Oh man, those overhangs. That total length vs wheelbase ratio is crazy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

fingerling posted:

He is the Rocker, he is the Roller, he is the Out Of Controller.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

um excuse me posted:

118Gs measured from where? Side question do Indy helmets have force sensors on them?

Drivers' earbuds/in-ear-monitors/whatever have g-sensors in them and have since [url=www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1261808]at least 2012[/quote].

Related on this, and on an awesome poo poo note:

Dixon did a 4-lap qual avg of 232.164 mph, the fastest time since

Arie Luyendyk did 236.986 in this bucket of bolts (comparatively speaking) in 1996.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I went to school with Arie's daughter... didn't realize who she was always talking about at the time. hosed that up :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Nobody on that season of the Bachelor where it was Arie's son was impressed, either.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I've been driving by this guys house for like 30 years and don't think I've seen either Porsche outside the garage, but the garage door is usually open with some neon signs lit up inside. Anyway it's the first time I've seen it on a trailer so that's cool that he tracks it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

http://tucson.com/news/local/at-over-mph-tucson-duo-rockets-to-highway-speed-record/article_d2cf5211-51d9-58c3-8636-97f1f9108e56.html

219.64 mph average over 90 miles for a new record. 243 top speed. I was working the North Narrows checkpoint at this race, dude came by and was practically flying.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That'd be drat tough. Even at 150mph the road gets REAAAAAAAAAAALLY narrow. It would take some serious concentration to keep it going for 90 miles.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

That'd be drat tough. Even at 150mph the road gets REAAAAAAAAAAALLY narrow. It would take some serious concentration to keep it going for 90 miles.

Yeah, but the 90 miles only takes 24 or so minutes, so you don't have to concentrate for all that long! :v:

Crazier I think are people like:
-The guy in 2014 (and 2012) averaging 178 and 180 in a 65 Corvair
-The guy in 2103 that DNF'd but was clocked at 240.6 in a 66 Chevelle
-The guy in 2010 that averaged 183 in his 86 Trans Am.
-The guy that has entered multiple times in the 180mph range class in his 36 ford F1 pickup, never finished to my knowledge.
EDIT: Wait, the above dude in the 1936 F1 puckup finished in 2009 with an average speed of 174. Jesus.

Hell, there's a guy that tried almost every year (sometimes has mechanical issues) in his original 1969 GT40. He has averaged up to 180.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 24, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BitBasher posted:

I think I know why he DNF’d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeHFDxKUP4&t=88s

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

I'd like to see that clip time-sync'd to an actual Delorean going the same speed.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

I've been driving by this guys house for like 30 years and don't think I've seen either Porsche outside the garage, but the garage door is usually open with some neon signs lit up inside. Anyway it's the first time I've seen it on a trailer so that's cool that he tracks it.

A good custom plate.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, but the 90 miles only takes 24 or so minutes, so you don't have to concentrate for all that long! :v:

Crazier I think are people like:
-The guy in 2014 (and 2012) averaging 178 and 180 in a 65 Corvair
-The guy in 2010 that averaged 183 in his 86 Trans Am.
-The guy that has entered multiple times in the 180mph range class in his 36 ford F1 pickup, never finished to my knowledge.
EDIT: Wait, the above dude in the 1936 F1 puckup finished in 2009 with an average speed of 174. Jesus.

Hell, there's a guy that tried almost every year (sometimes has mechanical issues) in his original 1969 GT40. He has averaged up to 180.

Jesus Christ Almighty

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Jesus Christ Almighty

Yep. And it's not on a track, its on Highway 318 in Nevada, between Lund and Hiko. It's also not all as straight as it looks. The Narrows is about 80% of the way down the course with some decent curves between stone canyon walls and some turns have 10 to 30 foot dropoffs on the outside.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lun...33!2d37.6282856

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 24, 2017

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Nothing about this looks fun.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

BitBasher posted:

http://tucson.com/news/local/at-over-mph-tucson-duo-rockets-to-highway-speed-record/article_d2cf5211-51d9-58c3-8636-97f1f9108e56.html

219.64 mph average over 90 miles for a new record. 243 top speed. I was working the North Narrows checkpoint at this race, dude came by and was practically flying.

That's pretty cool, but is it weird that they actually refer to that as a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo? I mean clearly it's a former NASCAR stock car (which they finally reference right at the end), but I had a 2002 Monte Carlo and that'd be a hell of a trick getting a 180hp fwd car to average 220mph. I do miss that car sometimes. Only car my arm rested at the perfect height on the window and it had trunk space for days.

This begs the question, how much can you pick up a 15 year old nascar racer for?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

davebo posted:

That's pretty cool, but is it weird that they actually refer to that as a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo? I mean clearly it's a former NASCAR stock car (which they finally reference right at the end), but I had a 2002 Monte Carlo and that'd be a hell of a trick getting a 180hp fwd car to average 220mph. I do miss that car sometimes. Only car my arm rested at the perfect height on the window and it had trunk space for days.

This begs the question, how much can you pick up a 15 year old nascar racer for?

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/chevy/1380675404/1380675404ss.htm

$35k, "race ready" 700hp.

Edit: Full Site: http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/nascars.htm

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think you can get them cheaper than that if you're patient.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Lol.

"Race ready" except that literally every safety system of the car will be out of date and need replacing, the cage won't be legal for anything anymore... :rolleyes:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

HandlingByJebus posted:

Lol.

"Race ready" except that literally every safety system of the car will be out of date and need replacing, the cage won't be legal for anything anymore... :rolleyes:

Hey, he only asked how much they were, not if they were actually driveable.

Most of the cars listed on that site were setup for road races not ovals which is interesting.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is the part where people get sent down the rabbithole of making a hilariously fast road racer out of a super modified for cheap.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ yes what he said.

Well that's cool. I'm just gonna go ahead and put buying a Corvette C5.R and somehow making it road legal on my bucket list.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

davebo posted:

I saw a fully Nascar era appropriate 66 Chevelle for 25k on Ebay. Fully kitted out, too, modern build.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BlackMK4 posted:

This is the part where people get sent down the rabbithole of making a hilariously fast road racer out of a super modified for cheap.

:lol:

My favourite comment on Bring a Trailer is That One Guy who always posts on the open-wheel cars asking "I wonder how much it would cost to put lights on it, would make a great daily", but not as a joke. Fuckwits.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Shrapnig posted:

Most of the cars listed on that site were setup for road races not ovals which is interesting.
Usually they keep the engines, too. TBH, you'd want a road-course car if you wanted to make it street-legal. The frames aren't curved anymore, but oval-track cars are still built to turn left.

Something like $150k (or more, that's how much it costs Tony Stewart when Danica gets booped into a wall) and a bunch of NDAs if you want a current-gen Cup car.

davebo posted:

That's pretty cool, but is it weird that they actually refer to that as a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo?
Well, it does say "Monte Carlo" on it and was built in 2001. That does imply it has a VIN, but stranger things have happened. Or it's just shoddy newspaper reporting.

How would you title a Cup car? Say I bought a slightly burnt used car from Tony -- does the DMV call it 2017 Ford Fusion R, or list the manufacturer as Stewart-Haas and treat it like a kit car?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The latter

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BlackMK4 posted:

Or do it with a perimeter frame Late Model, put Camaro bodywork on it, and voila, TA2 / GTA car!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shrapnig posted:

Could it be oval cars are too asymmetric for a general racing audience? Do they have some other site/forum to list those?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

http://www.racingjunk.com look under the Asphalt Oval section. Anything with an offset chassis has the chassis offset (duh), perimeter chassis handles the offset through suspension alone, I think. So even a lot of the stuff setup for ovals can be converted to turn both directions by just getting new bolt-on parts.

Like I said, TA2 and GTA are roadrace classes basically built around Late Model cars, this is an extremely well traveled path. I'm willing to bet you could call up basically any of the chassis makers and ask what bits you need to convert their chassis.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1990-troyer-modified-hillclimber/73618/page1/

Here, have fun, it started my fall down a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Huh. That's interesting. Though I'm just working on a tube chassis for actual roadrace classes so I'm not nearly as tempted.