Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Revvik posted:

Save your beer money and shake the couch change loose for a couple months and buy a used DRZ instead. It's what I did.

...spent it on surgery for the girlfriend's cat instead, but whatever.

Where I live a used drz is about the same price as a zrx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
And where I live a used DRZ is basically only going to save you the cost of dealer fees + whatever mods come on the used one vs. buying new, resale on them is ridiculously high. I still wouldn't ditch the FZ07 for a new DRZ regardless

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I just have bike ADD. Maybe I'll just get an exhaust system for it, the thing sounds like a lawn mower's wet farts right now

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

A MIRACLE posted:

I just have bike ADD. Maybe I'll just get an exhaust system for it, the thing sounds like a lawn mower's wet farts right now

I'll trade you my FZ-09 for a couple weeks.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I guess I can just list a few of my complaints about the bike and you guys can tell me if I'm crazy, should throw money at it, or switch it up. I'm at about 1 year / 10,000 miles.

• It sounds like a poop
  • It's really really bouncy on the freeway. My new commute has me hitting up to 100mph or so on the 2 and I have to post with my legs the whole way or I'll get bounced out of the seat.
  • There's no helmet lock. My 89 Honda had this and I really miss it.
  • There's no center stand. My 89 Honda had this and I really miss it. I have a pit bull stand but it's a pain in the rear end to drag down to the garage (shared). Also, center stands are nicer for parking sometimes, and doing maintenance away from home.
  • I have a very reliable Miata now and don't need the bike for my commute as much so I might want to go back to an older / more interesting bike.
  • I don't really like how it looks. I mostly bought it because it was cheap and had a warranty and it was going to be my only vehicle for a while since I had just moved to CA and I knew it would be reliable.
  • I think I might be too tall for it

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 22, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Where I live a used drz is about the same price as a zrx.

Where you live a used DRZ is free.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Where you live a used DRZ is free.

:pusheen:

A MIRACLE posted:

I guess I can just list a few of my complaints about the bike and you guys can tell me if I'm crazy, should throw money at it, or switch it up. I'm at about 1 year / 10,000 miles.

• It sounds like a poop
  • It's really really bouncy on the freeway. My new commute has me hitting up to 100mph or so on the 2 and I have to post with my legs the whole way or I'll get bounced out of the seat.
  • There's no center stand. My 89 Honda had this and I really miss it. I have a pit bull stand but it's a pain in the rear end to drag down to the garage (shared). Also, center stands are nicer for parking sometimes, and doing maintenance away from home.
  • I have a very reliable Miata now and don't need the bike for my commute as much so I might want to go back to an older / more interesting bike.
  • I don't really like how it looks. I mostly bought it because it was cheap and had a warranty and it was going to be my only vehicle for a while since I had just moved to CA and I knew it would be reliable.

Life is too short to own a bike you feel that way about. I miss my center stand, too, but a trailstand is just as easy for repairs and stuff. You should get a supermoto.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

A MIRACLE posted:

• It sounds like a poop

Most of these are stupid or fixable reasons, but if you're making them as your argument you probably just want a different bike and should get a different one. You might regret it, but bikes are cheap so you do you boo.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are too many different bikes to not have the one that you are ok with. Just make a list of features you want. Cross out the ones that can be easily added like a center stand and find your bike.

The answer is almost always fz-09 or 07

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

• It sounds like a poop

A DRZ with an exhaust just sounds like a louder DRZ, which isn't exactly awesome
Not sure what kind of options are out there to upgrade the stock suspension on the FZ-07, but cartridge kits and aftermarket shocks aren't cheap (but they can be moved from bike to bike). Respringing/revalving isn't that bad
Sato makes a helmet lock for the FZ07. You can also use a cable lock that you run through the helmet and lock to the grab handles or frame
SWMotech makes a center stand for the FZ07. DRZ won't have one either

I'm with TheFonz, it sounds to me like you just don't like the bike and are compiling a list of complaints to justify getting rid of it. If you don't like the bike, you don't like it - fair enough.

PS, you're not going to be doing 100 on a DRZ

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 22, 2017

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Was going to post this.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

High Protein posted:

Was going to post this.

maybe he has a very very generous and overconfident speedo

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Sure you can. It costs however.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I full exhaust and tune on a FZ07 turns the bike from no sound to the best sound.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

tjones posted:

I full exhaust and tune on a FZ07 turns the bike from no sound to the best sound.

Any recommendations? It looks like I can either get the Akra with baffle in and skip a tune, or something cheaper and have to chip it

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

tjones posted:

It's a little like an overly clinical v-twin sound, but it's pretty great. If I had to keep an fz-07, this would make it liveable.
bro treatment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH9F7oWOsgs

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

[*] It's really really bouncy on the freeway. My new commute has me hitting up to 100mph or so on the 2 and I have to post with my legs the whole way or I'll get bounced out of the seat.

If you're talking about the 2 in Los Angeles between the 5 and the 210, that's the best freeway I ever end up on. It's practically a race track compared to the 210 or the 5 in terms of road quality, and I don't have a very compliant suspension.

tjones
May 13, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Any recommendations? It looks like I can either get the Akra with baffle in and skip a tune, or something cheaper and have to chip it

Tuning, IMO, is a must no matter what. Bikes run lean from the factory and a full system will only introduce more air into the equation. A proper fuel map goes along way to making the bike more smooth as well as waking it up.

Get whatever pipe you like best as they are very similar in the end. Also make sure whatever fuel control method you pick your local tune shop is familiar with (or whoever will map your system).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you pretty much always have to get a power Commander type device for a tune on a fuel injected bike?

How much should I expect to pay?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Some bikes you can buy a tuneECU cable for $25 and tune yourself with a map you find online. A piggyback box would cost several hundred, even used, but are pretty nice for how simple they are to use.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
A lot of bikes you can usually send the ECU out to a tuner and have them reflash it for a couple hundred. Usually it's cheaper than getting a pcv and the tunes tend to be better. The downside is you are without the ecu for a week or two and you can't reverse it unless you send it back.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Buhbuhj posted:

A lot of bikes you can usually send the ECU out to a tuner and have them reflash it for a couple hundred. Usually it's cheaper than getting a pcv and the tunes tend to be better. The downside is you are without the ecu for a week or two and you can't reverse it unless you send it back.

With another downside being the tune isn't for your bike specifically. The install for a fuel controller will be more involved, but I don't know of any performance shop that doesn't know the ins and outs of a power commander (or bazzaz for that matter).

That being said, you usually can buy a flash tune kit with a data harness for bike side flashes for about the same amount of money or maybe a little more than the cost of a power commander before install.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Since when did 03-09 SV650Ss get so drat expensive?!

Also, whats the verdict on the Street Triple RS? A bunch of first ride reviews, but nothing in too in depth.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

please stop riding 100mph on public roads

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
This guy is telling me he is effectively the first owner of the bike and that he bought it from a dealer with 13 miles on it. The car fax shows the dealer bought it at auction. Is this weird?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he is or isnt the first owner. Imagine what else he could be misleading you about. Check the serials on the bike and make sure they all match. It is some ultra low mile theft salvage title or something?

What does the carfax show before the auction? A dealer must have sold it to someone before it got put up for auction.

What bike is it?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 23, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xaarman posted:

Since when did 03-09 SV650Ss get so drat expensive?!

Years of internet gushing over a model will do that. See also: DRZ, CBR250RR, pretty much anything with SM in the name.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Years of internet gushing over a model will do that. See also: DRZ, CBR250RR, pretty much anything with SM in the name.

AMAZON SALES REP: Huh. Everything BDSM related after 2009 resulted in yuge quarterly increases in sales. Wonder why.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

A MIRACLE posted:

Should I trade in for a new DRZ sm or stick with the Fz 07

trade offer is still on the table :pedo:

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Is this a good deal? It looks good to me, but I don't trust myself to make great decisions when it comes to buying wheels and motors. I talked him down $200 in exchange for him keeping the chain he bought since it can be found cheaper than $200 elsewhere. Otherwise, these VFR800's seem to be really reliable, relatively sporty, good bikes overall.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

he is or isnt the first owner. Imagine what else he could be misleading you about. Check the serials on the bike and make sure they all match. It is some ultra low mile theft salvage title or something?

What does the carfax show before the auction? A dealer must have sold it to someone before it got put up for auction.

What bike is it?

Thanks for the help here. I was unclear in my original post but he told me all of this and provided the car fax do I do not think he was misleading me.

He was saying it was a dealer to dealer exchange for the auction, a floor room model that had probably received some test rides which is where the 13 miles come from.

The car fax's only line item is that "vehicle was sold at auction in Pacific Northwest" with an odometer reading of 13mi.

It is a 2016 HD Street 750 for which he is asking $6K.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Faster Blaster posted:

Is this a good deal? It looks good to me, but I don't trust myself to make great decisions when it comes to buying wheels and motors. I talked him down $200 in exchange for him keeping the chain he bought since it can be found cheaper than $200 elsewhere. Otherwise, these VFR800's seem to be really reliable, relatively sporty, good bikes overall.

It's all the bike you'll ever need. And at $2300 for a low mileage clean fifth gen, you better snap that up before I get there.

Edit: in case you think I'm joking, I've already found it
https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6090100117.html
If I weren't in the middle of moving, I'd be buying a plane ticket to Denver today.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 23, 2017

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
98-01 are supposed to be the best years, and that's straight up a good price and not the highest miles you'll see.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's all the bike you'll ever need. And at $2300 for a low mileage clean fifth gen, you better snap that up before I get there.

Edit: in case you think I'm joking, I've already found it
https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6090100117.html
If I weren't in the middle of moving, I'd be buying a plane ticket to Denver today.

Hey! I saw it first!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Faster Blaster posted:

Hey! I saw it first!

I hope you get there first :P

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I hope you get there first :P

Loser can make an offer on my 6th gen. Please? :negative:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

monsterzero posted:

Loser can make an offer on my 6th gen. Please? :negative:

lol no thanks.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Are the fifth gens carbureted or did they get FI? I only ask because I don't see anything mentioned about the carbs in the list of items included in the tune-up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're injected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jazzzzz posted:

Are the fifth gens carbureted or did they get FI? I only ask because I don't see anything mentioned about the carbs in the list of items included in the tune-up.

it's in the model name actually

VFR800FI