Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just don't drop the warm up weights on your neck.

Yeah if you are going to drop weights there make sure it your personal best. Go out on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Someone find the story from earlier this year where a drunk dropped like, 75 lbs on their neck and died.
I'm lazy and not gonna go back 50 pages. It was iron cross day, don't wanna hold the phone that long.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/sep/04/man-crushed-weightlifting-bar-garage

quote:

Pathologist Dr David Wright said: "We are not as strong as we normally are when we have 274mg of alcohol on board, not so co-ordinated."

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
There should be some kind of clause in gym membership contracts that if you find someone dead with a barbell on their neck, you build it up to 3 plates before calling the authorities.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Gym ethics 101

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I have failed this deadlift thread.
Ruined my goddam week.
Should've gone to 395 this week, left 405 for the next cycle. I guess 385x3 is not the same as 405x1...

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ruined my goddam week.
Should've gone to 395 this week, left 405 for the next cycle. I guess 385x3 is not the same as 405x1...
How many times did you try 405x1? Sometimes for max attempts, especially if I haven't gone for a max in a while, it takes me multiple attempts to iron out form errors. The other day on military press I missed my max twice and then got it the third time. If you pull sumo you're especially vulnerable to minor errors in setup.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
4 times. And the last wasn't much of an attempt. Fixed a minor foot positioning problem (feet about half an inch too far back), but it didn't help. Just got too cocky and pushed my schedule a bit too far.

Ruined my god drat day.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Ruined my goddam week.
Not always, yes. Deadlift seems to be the one that will surprise/disappoint you the most. Just shrug it off and try again next time (or next month, it sounds like you're doing 5/3/1)

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Generation Iron 2 idk man I'm gonna watch it and let's see if it has anything on Arnold making GBS threads on Lou for the entire movie.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Ruined my goddam week.

Are you sure it isn't just from overtraining? I could do 405x1 well before 385x3. Try not to beat yourself up so much, progress is progress even when it's slow.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Eldred posted:

Are you sure it isn't just from overtraining? I could do 405x1 well before 385x3. Try not to beat yourself up so much, progress is progress even when it's slow.

It's possible. I also had a comically hard time loading the weights. I think it's just the spot i was at had a bit of a warped floor.

Like, i was cursing and kicking the weights to get them on at points. That may have something to do with it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Cobra Commander posted:

Generation Iron 2 idk man I'm gonna watch it and let's see if it has anything on Arnold making GBS threads on Lou for the entire movie.

It kinda sucked. It covered a lot but didn't go deep enough with anything. And there was plenty of Kai Greene blathering on about nothing like usual and giving up bodybuilding to do bad performance art that nobody would care about if he weren't huge.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is it possible to buy a bar longer than 7 feet without spending a ton of money? Running out of space on bar for deadlifts. Looking into whether it'd be cheaper to replace my bumper plates with thinner ones or my bar for a longer one.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I hear they started making plates out of metal that are thinner.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

Is it possible to buy a bar longer than 7 feet without spending a ton of money? Running out of space on bar for deadlifts. Looking into whether it'd be cheaper to replace my bumper plates with thinner ones or my bar for a longer one.
Maybe get some 50kg plates, but they are expensive depending on what you want. I think there are some iron ones for around $160-$180 per set, but generally you're looking at $300 or so for a set minimum.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 23, 2017

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Chalk is no fuckig joke on deadlifts it turns out. My grip failed on the last rep of the day and I immediately tried again with chalk. poo poo felt 50 lbs lighter

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Khorne posted:

Maybe get some 50kg plates, but they are expensive depending on what you want. I think there are some iron ones for around $160-$180 per set, but generally you're looking at $300 or so for a set minimum.

I need bumper plates to save my floor.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

your lovely floor or unlimited muscles... the choice is yours

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

bamhand posted:

I need bumper plates to save my floor.

Get some 35lb plates

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dum Cumpster posted:

Get some 35lb plates

I have 255 in bumpers, and another 140 in 35s. I guess maybe I can get another pair. But I'm still pretty low on space after that.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Rogue's 25k or 55lb bumpers are pretty skinny, but not cheap. I've got a set of 10s, 15s, 20s, and 25s and they leave a lot of room on the bar when I have them all on. Still going to be cheaper than a longer bar I'd guess, since they're uncommon.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

I have 255 in bumpers, and another 140 in 35s. I guess maybe I can get another pair. But I'm still pretty low on space after that.
There are 50kg bumpers.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I've figured out why my shoulders have been feeling weird boys, I've been going hard on the internal rotation. I did the trick where you hold a pen in each hand and relax, and they pointed inward at like...I guess a 45 degree angle? I dunno, the point is they should be parallel. And it makes sense looking back. I've been going ham setting PRs on Bench and OHP lately, but the only rowing progress I really made is like 10 or 15 lbs on pendlay rows, which I do skip sometimes anyway. I do 3 sets of face pulls twice a week, that's probably not enough itself to counteract the volume of pressing I've done though I bet. Gonna drop Bench and OHP to once a week, I might do some tricep and chest isolation stuff at a light weight as well to keep from losing gains. Going to swap pendlay to regular barbell rows, going to do more pull ups which I used to do a lot, but now that I'm 30 lbs heavier I can only do a couple. I do have a band I can use for now. Probably add in some rear delt rows and maybe one of those light dumbell external rotation exercises too. My range of motion in external rotation sucks rear end, I can't even quite get my forearms in a straight line up and down in the waving hello position.

e: Maybe some pushups instead of extra chest isolation. I always heard they are much friendlier to your shoudlers being closed-chain and allowing your scapula to float freely. I'm not sure about that yet though. I also suspect my lack of squats contributed to this as well. I always felt low bar did a good job of giving me a good stretch in the front of the shoulders the whole time during a set. Now that my knee feels good perhaps that will help too.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 23, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Gorman Thomas posted:

Chalk is no fuckig joke on deadlifts it turns out. My grip failed on the last rep of the day and I immediately tried again with chalk. poo poo felt 50 lbs lighter

Yeah, it's huge

Grip strength is the first part for many people that fails, so using stuff like chalk or straps makes them way easier

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
That feeling when you start to look like a half chiseled statue, the simultaneous pride in progress and the horror that it's not coming fast enough. I chew on salami and contemplate my smallness. I am home. In terns of actual progress, I've lost a good 15-20 lbs since I last maxed out and have for the most part recovered my strength :toot:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I can never get a chiseled look, i dunno if its because I used to be fat or what, but I always look a little soft

still better than 90% of normal people, but never shredded like fuckers I see on youtube

For example, my lovehandles are eternal. When my muscle fibers start to be visible in shoulders and chest, my lovehandles remain steadfast and unwavering

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
I am starting to get a fair amount of excess skin and tbh, I enjoy stretching it in private because im a goon. Also yeah, so far its my upper body becoming more visible and the fact that my chest protrudes further out than my gut helps the illusion a lot, at least while I have a shirt on haha.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think I've figured out why my shoulders have been feeling weird boys, I've been going hard on the internal rotation. I did the trick where you hold a pen in each hand and relax, and they pointed inward at like...I guess a 45 degree angle? I dunno, the point is they should be parallel. And it makes sense looking back. I've been going ham setting PRs on Bench and OHP lately, but the only rowing progress I really made is like 10 or 15 lbs on pendlay rows, which I do skip sometimes anyway. I do 3 sets of face pulls twice a week, that's probably not enough itself to counteract the volume of pressing I've done though I bet. Gonna drop Bench and OHP to once a week, I might do some tricep and chest isolation stuff at a light weight as well to keep from losing gains. Going to swap pendlay to regular barbell rows, going to do more pull ups which I used to do a lot, but now that I'm 30 lbs heavier I can only do a couple. I do have a band I can use for now. Probably add in some rear delt rows and maybe one of those light dumbell external rotation exercises too. My range of motion in external rotation sucks rear end, I can't even quite get my forearms in a straight line up and down in the waving hello position.

I told you about all that pushing, bro.

I told you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fartbox posted:

I can never get a chiseled look, i dunno if its because I used to be fat or what, but I always look a little soft

still better than 90% of normal people, but never shredded like fuckers I see on youtube

For example, my lovehandles are eternal. When my muscle fibers start to be visible in shoulders and chest, my lovehandles remain steadfast and unwavering

"Drink" more "juice"

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Try "shriveling up" your "balls"

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
"Spread" your "sheet"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

"Flex" your "glutes"

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
5x10s on leg day feels basically like HIIT. I do not like it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I started throwing in some hockey conditioning stuff after lifts the last week or so. The pain is exquisite.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
just got back from the gym. The only push I did was Bench Press 2 sets of 155x3, then 155x5 on the last set after those 2 which wasn't super heavy for me. The set of 5 was maybe RPE 7 or 8. Pull wise I did regular barbell rows for about 100lbs x 10 for 3 sets, 3 sets of face pulls 50lbs x10, 3 sets of body weight pull ups with a weak band around my knee, and generally things were feeling good although when I got to hammer curls with the rope I could feel it in my shoulder in a weird way so I skipped that. That was weird though, curls have never hurt anything other than maybe my wrist a while back.

oh yeah, usually 155 feels heavy when I take a little week or two break like I just did, but the rowing first got my lats feeling good and strong and the bench felt easy as poo poo for the most part and also pretty drat stable. I bet all this back work is going to wind up giving me a much better bench and OHP when all is said and done anyway, so I'm feelin pretty good about things.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 24, 2017

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I watched this a few weeks ago and have started doing some sort of rows before everything else 4x a week, for 2 full weeks now. Back is noticeably larger and every lift is going up, shoulders look and feel better than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYaP3yCyHRY

I'm lifting 5 times a week now and weighed in at 197 today post dump, almost leaner than I've ever been :feelsgood:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
poo poo, the man is much bigger than me, he must be doing something right. I'll throw in more rows i guess.

E: although i will say - i can row more than i can bench.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 24, 2017

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I want my muscles to grow in two weeks while in a deficit too! Didn't realize test comes in youtubes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I'm thin and have never been close to chubby/fat, my diet is on point and going from lifting 3x a week to 5 is doing wonders, along with swapping out certain lifts for others. I have never gone on a proper cut in my life, I like food I guess.