Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

I haven't seen Totoro either :ohdear:

The only Ghibli and/or Miyazaki films I've seen are Spirited, Howl's, Mononoke, Arrietty, and Cagliostro.

Watch The Cat Returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Definitely catch FMA if you haven't. Either one is good - I prefer Brotherhood but you'd ideally watch both since Brotherhood rushes through the content that the 2003 anime has it common with it, to the point that it basically assumes you've already watched that one.

Somewhat more on-topic, Sacred Star of Milos was pretty good. I don't remember as much about Conqueror of Shamballa, though that one's basically required watching if you watched all of the 2003 anime because it's literally that anime's proper ending, separated from the anime itself for some reason.

Also One Punch Man was good. Quite amusing, really.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

I always thought having seen every Ghibli film was a requirement for being allowed to post in this thread.

It is.

Shadow Hog posted:

Definitely catch FMA if you haven't. Either one is good - I prefer Brotherhood but you'd ideally watch both since Brotherhood rushes through the content that the 2003 anime has it common with it, to the point that it basically assumes you've already watched that one.

Yeah no, rushes is putting it mildly, basically all of the emotional impact of the first series is gone because they're just sailing past key events so fast. That and the first series I felt had much better direction and pacing overall, even in the later stages. Both have stellar english dubs though.

Full Metal Alchemist is good. Go watch them both. It's at least interesting to see how wildly different interpretations of the same source material can differ.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

I'll see myself out then :shepface:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I couldn't get past episode 3 of FMA:B, the writing was horrible. After I saw the same joke:reaction of him being called short or his brother being called the FMA I had had enough.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
The manga's preferable to the 2nd anime tbh

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Attack On Titan is a pretty enjoyable watch, IMHO. Just be prepared for a lot of scenes of people getting eaten by goofy-looking giants. And giants doing MMA.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Just, well the mangaka is a right wing nutter even by the standards of Japanese right-wing nutters and that comes into full play in later chapters, and lot of the reveals on the Titans nature is just really loving dumb. So consider that if you are unsure if you want to invest the time into it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robindaybird posted:

Just, well the mangaka is a right wing nutter even by the standards of Japanese right-wing nutters and that comes into full play in later chapters, and lot of the reveals on the Titans nature is just really loving dumb. So consider that if you are unsure if you want to invest the time into it.

Has there been any actual evidence of this? Like, at all?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Only the first 14 episodes of Brotherhood are rushed, because they really didn't want to remake material covered by the first anime more than they had to. After that point it shifts completely as it sticks to the manga, instead of needing to go off into that dark tangent of the first anime. Outside of the first 14 episodes the show mostly keeps pace with the source material. Maes Hughes dies in Volume 3 of 27 while he dies in episode 10 of 64 in Brotherhood. Also there's no stupid Robocop guy.

"I've got your soul, brother!"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Full Metal Alchemist is really notable for being like one of the only action shonen series to actually come to a pre-planned climax and conclusion, instead of running mindlessly for 10+ years till abrupt cancellation.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Totoro rules, everyone watch Totoro.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Schwarzwald posted:

Has there been any actual evidence of this? Like, at all?

It's pretty much the anime equivalent of Starship Troopers, in terms of 'the world is constructed such that fascist ideology is correct'. I don't know if the dude is legitimately sincere about it or if he's making a point like Verhoeven was, since I haven't watched all that much of it, but it's kinda uncomfortable.

also tengen toppa gurren lagann is still the best anime of the last ten years and will continue to be so for another four months

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This thread is getting anime af

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't worry, we'll be back to posting big cats soon enough, I predict.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ungulateman posted:

It's pretty much the anime equivalent of Starship Troopers, in terms of 'the world is constructed such that fascist ideology is correct'. I don't know if the dude is legitimately sincere about it or if he's making a point like Verhoeven was, since I haven't watched all that much of it, but it's kinda uncomfortable.

I don't think anyone knows one way or the other, it's all been speculation. That said, I don't think anyone in authority is portrayed particularly well in that series. People with power being exceptionally terrible people is definitely a recurring theme. I don't think you can really discuss it here without massive spoilers however. The thing that makes it tricky to pin down is that the author likes to keep introducing new revelations that completely changes all the context of everything that's happened before.

That said I wouldn't recommend it. FMA:B is much better overall. So go for that one and Totoro.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

There is a Jojo animated movie that was released in limited theaters in 2007. It was so bad the original author requested that it never receive a home video release and took the film reel/other stuff.

The only proof of the movie existing is a movie trailer with a kickass original song to it, a pretty great video game tie in and a leaked 16 minute compilation of unfinished animation.

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juVe7htxf-U

Unfinished animation reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSyev_EFa_U

A lot of the complaints the story was so streamlined that key characters were left out, including the authors favorite character REO Speedwagon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It is.

Yeah no, rushes is putting it mildly, basically all of the emotional impact of the first series is gone because they're just sailing past key events so fast. That and the first series I felt had much better direction and pacing overall, even in the later stages. Both have stellar english dubs though.

Full Metal Alchemist is good. Go watch them both. It's at least interesting to see how wildly different interpretations of the same source material can differ.

Yeah, several arcs from the first season are condensed down to one episode in Brotherhood. Like has been said though, once it catches up to the point where the original anime stopped following the manga storyline the pacing starts to become a lot better.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ungulateman posted:

It's true that, a lot of powerful people and the government are fascist, but a large part of the story is challenging that ideology.

That's why I'm curious if there is any evidence if Hajime Isayama (the mangaka) is a "right-wing nutter." I've heard a lot of people claim that he is, but when pressed it usually comes down to, "he wrote Attack on Titan, he must be a nutter!" Without spoiling anything, recent developments in the series make that much more questionable.

If he's actually said what his political viewpoints somewhere I'd be interested in hearing them.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 23, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

This thread is getting anime af

Martytoof posted:

Don't worry, we'll be back to posting big cats soon enough, I predict.

we can have it both ways WATCH THE CAT RETURNS

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is excellent, and I'm totally not just saying that because I finished watching it yesterday.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Schwarzwald posted:

we can have it both ways WATCH THE CAT RETURNS

From what I've seen the cats in that film are the opposite of big :catstare:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Big ain't just about size though. Style and personality matter and the cat in that movie has those in spades.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

It's a matter of perspective.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah, but the protagonist is dubbed by Cary Elwes. That has to count for something?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well since I can't watch Tororo and I couldn't find anything with big cats to satisfy demand, I found Boy and the Beast on Netflix and it seems pretty good so far.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Schwarzwald posted:

It's a matter of perspective.

-5 points for not going for the purrspective pun

SolarFire2 posted:

Yeah, but the protagonist is dubbed by Cary Elwes. That has to count for something?

-20 points for not going for the Cary Mewls pun! *huff*

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 23, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Martytoof posted:

Well since I can't watch Tororo and I couldn't find anything with big cats to satisfy demand, I found Boy and the Beast on Netflix and it seems pretty good so far.

Ah another for my list! I was thinking of seeing that in cinemas last year but never got around to it

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

lol at Hedrigall not seeing Boy and the Beast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

There is a Jojo animated movie that was released in limited theaters in 2007. It was so bad the original author requested that it never receive a home video release and took the film reel/other stuff.

The only proof of the movie existing is a movie trailer with a kickass original song to it, a pretty great video game tie in and a leaked 16 minute compilation of unfinished animation.

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juVe7htxf-U

Unfinished animation reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSyev_EFa_U

A lot of the complaints the story was so streamlined that key characters were left out, including the authors favorite character REO Speedwagon.

The only problem with this post is that the Phantom Blood game was actually utter garbage.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Despite the context in which it came up earlier in this thread, I really did enjoy Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It had some fantastic bits of animation and I appreciated that the girls acted pretty age-appropriate: Idealistic, short-sighted, emotional and self-conscious. Immature in some ways, mature in others. That kinda nails middle school me and it was nice to relate to them while simultaneously being ashamed of how stupid I could be as a teenager.

I mean yeah, they magical girls, but they're still kids.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

1. Boy and the Beast was really fun.
2. The vaguely human pig man was very unsettling to look at.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 23, 2017

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Go watch Jungle Emperor Leo. All of it, but especially the 1997 movie.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's true that, a lot of powerful people and the government are fascist, but a large part of the story is challenging that ideology.

That's why I'm curious if there is any evidence if Hajime Isayama (the mangaka) is a "right-wing nutter." I've heard a lot of people claim that he is, but when pressed it usually comes down to, "he wrote Attack on Titan, he must be a nutter!" Without spoiling anything, recent developments in the series make that much more questionable.

If he's actually said what his political viewpoints somewhere I'd be interested in hearing them.

I've only watched the anime, but so far it's been decidedly not right-wing. The rich and powerful stay within their walls, sacrificing refugee children by basically making them choose between slavery or working as soldiers. The best soldiers get to work within the walls, without ever seing combat. Most generals are either psychos or broken, wiling to lie and manipulate, sacrificing untold numbers of soldiers for the greater good. None of these things are portrayed as good.

Even the most stoic soldier characters break down and turn into wrecks when they realize they are going to die. The extremely cocky and abrasive main character is constantly messing up, and being protected by people more skilled than him. Like, a constant joke is that the MC lashes out at his sister because she's actually competent which makes him feel emasculated. A huge part of his arc is getting over that poo poo. And about that - the anime has a good mix of competent male and female characters, and creepy fanservice is non-existant.

Perhaps the series does a heel turn later on, but so far it's pretty much the opposite of a right-wing wank-fest. Calling the artist an extremist among extreme, judging from his work, is pretty crazy when poo poo like Terra Formars exists.

EDIT: I could only watch the first episodes of the new FMA and Hellsing series. Having the characters randomly turn SD and spout stupid jokes just kills any appeal the shows might have. The original shows, rough as they may be, at least stay fairly consistent throughout. It would be like if Ghost in The Shell had the major turn SD randomly to say something wacky - just because the manga did it doesn't mean it works in animation.

Also, watch every Ghibli movie. My personal favorites are Kiki's Delivery Service and Cagliostro.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 23, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Renoistic posted:

I could only watch the first episodes of the new FMA and Hellsing series. Having the characters randomly turn SD and spout stupid jokes just kills any appeal the shows might have. The original shows, rough as they may be, at least stay fairly consistent throughout. It would be like if Ghost in The Shell had the major turn SD randomly to say something wacky - just because the manga did it doesn't mean it works in animation.

I'll give you FMA, but Hellsing is never really incredibly serious even in its "normal" bits; I mean, keep in mind it's a show about John Woo Dracula and a big titty lady with an anti-aircraft gun fighting cyborg Nazi zombies. The OVA has pretty much the perfect tone for the material, and going ultra-serious was an extremely bad call for the TV anime.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
In case you need a reminder, The Chipmunk Adventure continues to be the best animated film of the 80s.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Despite the context in which it came up earlier in this thread, I really did enjoy Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

That anime was the last anime I was actually able to sit down and watch in one sitting, not necessarily because I don't have much time for anime anymore but because it's actually legitimately compelling enough that I wanted to keep watching it until it was over. Very rarely does that happen because most anime are just manga adaptations.

Renoistic posted:

The original shows, rough as they may be, at least stay fairly consistent throughout. It would be like if Ghost in The Shell had the major turn SD randomly to say something wacky - just because the manga did it doesn't mean it works in animation.

Yeah, that. Manga adaptations for the most part are pretty bland and boring, copy/pasting scenes from the comics with little intent on trying to use the new medium to streamline or retell the story, it's more just "now it's in colour and voiced" with maybe action scenes getting something resembling interesting direction and pacing. FMA:Brotherhood is like that, kinda sterile during dialogue scenes and fantastic with action scenes, while the first Full Metal Alchemist was more willing to engage with the material and use the animated medium to fuller advantage. (maybe. it's been a while since I've watched either)

I guess I just prefer animes that are written as animes first.

(course now I need to say that Mob Psycho 100 had a fantastic anime that actually does take advantage of being animated to do cool and interesting poo poo, and it's not like it's a rule or anything I just notice it a lot)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
original FMA is a train wreck and it doesn't really live up to the best animated moments in FMA:B, either, although i will agree that most of those moments are action scenes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

EDIT: I could only watch the first episodes of the new FMA and Hellsing series. Having the characters randomly turn SD and spout stupid jokes just kills any appeal the shows might have. The original shows, rough as they may be, at least stay fairly consistent throughout. It would be like if Ghost in The Shell had the major turn SD randomly to say something wacky - just because the manga did it doesn't mean it works in animation.

That doesn't make any sense because they're very different shows in very different styles. FMA is a relatively lighthearted adventure story with moments of darkness. It's like complaining that Harry Potter has wacky ghosts and fart jokes.

The original FMA anime is a trainwreck barely held together by some strong visual direction. Brotherhood isn't as good as the manga but is a lot more coherent both from a plotting and a directing perspective and its highest moments (adapted from the anime or not) are extremely strong in addition to actually making sense instead of devolving into nazis and rape like the first anime did.

I won't argue the first episodes of Brotherhood aren't weak (they clearly were forced to rush through material already adapted in the original anime) but once they get past that part it gets a lot stronger even if it is adapting the manga and they do some clever things with visual direction that work quite well.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, reminder that the Nazi stuff in FMA 2003 is pro-Nazi. the writer of 2003 actually is a nutbag right-winger who is also known for the OVA Angel Cop, in which the villains are an international Jewish conspiracy.